PDA

View Full Version : Wow I guess were homeless.....

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/aggies/entries/2011/08/31/am_officially_withdraws_from_t.html?cxntcid=breaki ng_news

wonder where we ll end up..................I would of thought the SEC........but Old Tiger's little Paint Cartoon tells me otherwise.

oh title should of been we're not were.

1st and goal
08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
a whole lotta sour grapes over in Austin right now. Read the blogs.

eagles_victory
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
a whole lotta sour grapes over in Austin right now. Read the blogs. A&M did we they thought was best for them who can fault them. But if I am Texas no way I play them non conference. A&M wanted their visibility and to get out of the shadow well you have it now best of luck. I still don't really see the justifiable reasoning for leaving, but I guess Aggie brass did what was best for them.

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 12:56 PM
a whole lotta sour grapes over in Austin right now. Read the blogs.Everything I have seen on message boards and such seems to be this...

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-now-radio/WellBye.jpg

My personal opinion is that there is no reason for Texas to play A&M anymore since A&M is no longer apart of the conference. Especially if Texas can get done what Chip Brown reported about an annual game with Notre Dame on Thanksgiving day because that would have more national appeal.

Reading on A&M message board the sentiments is A&M wants to leave the conference and still have the game for revenue purposes in the state of Texas. That is them wanting to have there cake(leave the conference and be out of Texas shadow) and eat it too(still benefit from revenue gained by playing Texas). Aggies seem to think legislation will force the Horns to play Texas.

Bullaholic
08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Me, Phil C, and a lot of oldtimers still shed a tear about the rash of conference leap-frogging in recent years. Sigh, I long for the good-ole days of the SWC--that would be a heck of a conference right now with lots of Regional interest and ---gasp---tradition. There is just something downright un-natural about A&M way off in the SEC and not even playing UT anymore. And, egad---TCU up in the Big East where basketball is king. Alas, these are the days of big money and TV ratings....

Pendragon13
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Seems to me that this whole thing may actual hurt A&M short term (lack of football success in the SEC won't help recruiting much) especially if they no longer play the annual game with Texas. UT might be hurt short term by the loss of the game, but they already have OU in Dallas (which has become bigger in recent years) and probably won't have much trouble finding another school that wants a piece of the Thanksgiving pie. I think the SEC really is the only winner in this deal...other than A&M/Arkansas in Dallas and occasional LSU forays across state lines..they don't have the kind of recruiting exposure in Texas that they'll now get with the Aggie home games.

I think with time the Aggies can be competitive in the SEC, (football) and maybe even win the conference eventually...but we may all be too old by then to be able to see more than vague maroon shapes on the tv.:sleeping:

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Aggies seem to think legislation will force the Horns to play Texas.
I've been quiet about all this, but that is just freaking ridiculous! Do we NOT have enough legislation? They need to keep their darn hands out of it!!!!!!

And as far as I'm concerned, it's none of my concern. A&M has to do what they think is best, overall, for their school. Sure, I have opinions about it, but I really don't think anything I might have to say amounts to a hill of beans.

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
I've been quiet about all this, but that is just freaking ridiculous! Do we NOT have enough legislation? They need to keep their darn hands out of it!!!!!!

And as far as I'm concerned, it's none of my concern. A&M has to do what they think is best, overall, for their school. Sure, I have opinions about it, but I really don't think anything I might have to say amounts to a hill of beans.

I hear you about the lawmakers.............same clowns that can 't balance a budget and fund public education.

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Everything I have seen on message boards and such seems to be this...

My personal opinion is that there is no reason for Texas to play A&M anymore since A&M is no longer apart of the conference. Especially if Texas can get done what Chip Brown reported about an annual game with Notre Dame on Thanksgiving day because that would have more national appeal.

your boy Mack would like to continue to play the game.... he said a few weeks ago that it would be a shame not too.....since (his words) they have played for "hundreds of years."

Reading on A&M message board the sentiments is A&M wants to leave the conference and still have the game for revenue purposes in the state of Texas. That is them wanting to have there cake(leave the conference and be out of Texas shadow) and eat it too(still benefit from revenue gained by playing Texas). Aggies seem to think legislation will force the Horns to play Texas.

wait won't play a&m cause they are leaving? but will play notre dame who didn't want to join your conference wow. Won't play what you all claim to be a bottom feeder of the SEC but are ok taking on (not My words) an "Irrelevant" Notre Dame? must be about the money they can make off the game not the comp I guess?

1st and goal
08-31-2011, 10:26 PM
I hope they continue to play at Thanksgiving even though it is out of conference. Its an old rivalry and deep seated thus all the hate blogs on AAS website. After all, it only took over a hundred years to stir up all this hate of each other.:stirpot:

eagles_victory
08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Texas has no obligation to play A&M they did and A&M left. Aggies made a decision that was best for them UT will do the same rather it is playing A&M or not.

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Texas has no obligation to play A&M they did and A&M left. Aggies made a decision that was best for them UT will do the same rather it is playing A&M or not.

you sir are correct about both teams.

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
so with this probably being the last chapter of the Lone Star Showdown....I wonder what I could get for my four tix? My guess is close to my donation per seat to the 12th man foundation.

eagles_victory
08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
I am trying to be unbiased here just because bias makes you look very silly at times. One thing I don't get is the Aggie fans problem with the Longhorn Network and ESPN for doing it. ESPN made a business decision they thought would be profitable just like A&M is doing with the move to the SEC.

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 12:14 AM
now this guy might really be on to something here............

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/one-more-move-and-big-12-is-over-1809134.html

LionFan72
09-01-2011, 12:37 AM
It is all about the benjamins, can't see it any other way.

DavidWooderson
09-01-2011, 09:23 AM
There's more penis envy towards UT from A&M than A&M towards UT. UT looks at A&M as a big game, good rivalry. A&M beating Texas is a life mission. A&M will ALWAYS be the little brother, because that's exactly what they are, that's what it started it out as.

A&M thinks that leaving the Big 12 will kill Texas. Texas is relieved, they don't have to always worry about, "well if we do this, how will this affect A&M"

A&M wants to go? Adios

RoyceTTU
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
There's more penis envy towards UT from A&M than A&M towards UT.

I think you wrote the same thing twice :crazy:

buff4ever
09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Everything I have seen on message boards and such seems to be this...

Texas is going to let A&M win the last 2 times they face in conference play, and say that is an acceptable ending to that story book? As A&M leaves to a solid conference and regardless of what others think, they will recruit well with a successfull year this year and beat texas again, and have SEC on the schedule for next year. UT fans need to accept it for what it is, A&M took care of A&M just as UT does UT. Don't be bitter towards A&M for that, and don't try and cover up that you are a little jealous of what A&M is about to have, even if you fear what it may mean for your program in Texas Football.

I think this is all very funny.

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I think you wrote the same thing twice :crazy:

oh he did.....I just figured he didn't know what he was talking about.

Cause I didn't think the Aggies were worried about "killing the horns" with the move.

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 10:11 AM
There's more penis envy towards UT from A&M than A&M towards UT. UT looks at A&M as a big game, good rivalry. A&M beating Texas is a life mission. A&M will ALWAYS be the little brother, because that's exactly what they are, that's what it started it out as.

A&M thinks that leaving the Big 12 will kill Texas. Texas is relieved, they don't have to always worry about, "well if we do this, how will this affect A&M"

A&M wants to go? Adios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Texas is going to let A&M win the last 2 times they face in conference play, and say that is an acceptable ending to that story book? As A&M leaves to a solid conference and regardless of what others think, they will recruit well with a successfull year this year and beat texas again, and have SEC on the schedule for next year. UT fans need to accept it for what it is, A&M took care of A&M just as UT does UT. Don't be bitter towards A&M for that, and don't try and cover up that you are a little jealous of what A&M is about to have, even if you fear what it may mean for your program in Texas Football.

I think this is all very funny.There not even leaving to a conference...no one has invited A&M as of yet.

To say a Texas fan is jealous of what A&M is about to have is asinine. What Texas has now is far greater than anything A&M could achieve from a football standpoint outside of an MNC and A&M is far from that type of team to compete for a MNC.

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
. What Texas has now is far greater than anything A&M could achieve from a football standpoint outside of an MNC and A&M is far from that type of team to compete for a MNC.

Why do you think this is?....how did it get this way? just wondering.

eagles_victory
09-01-2011, 12:07 PM

I think this is all very funny. UT jealous of what A&M is about to have? What is A&M about to have that is so great? Not everyone goes from 6 to midnight at the thought of the SEC like it seems some Aggies do. I wouldn't want UT to go to the SEC.

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
http://http//m.statesman.com/statesman/pm_21986/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=fTj95I4S

Roc96
09-01-2011, 12:50 PM
A&M did we they thought was best for them who can fault them. But if I am Texas no way I play them non conference. A&M wanted their visibility and to get out of the shadow well you have it now best of luck.

If A&M continues to play Texas, A&M's strength of schedule takes a dive, and Texas' gains an increase. It doesn't make sense from the A&M side.

1st and goal
09-01-2011, 01:11 PM
http://http//m.statesman.com/statesman/pm_21986/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=fTj95I4S

Link broken.

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
If A&M continues to play Texas, A&M's strength of schedule takes a dive, and Texas' gains an increase. It doesn't make sense from the A&M side.It only gains an increase is A&M is competitive in SEC for titles. A&M's would still increase because Texas will continue what they have done for the last decade.

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Texas will continue what they have done for the last decade.

and what is that? win in a mediocre conference...........it was said by some that the Aggies best chances for a BCS title or even a game was to stay in Big XII (because it s not as strong as the SEC)...............so are you saying that the horns have built their success off mediocrity? Again just wondering.

i wouldn't see it that way..........but your view maybe different.

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 01:35 PM
and what is that? win in a mediocre conference...........it was said by some that the Aggies best chances for a BCS title or even a game was to stay in Big XII (because it s not as strong as the SEC)...............so are you saying that the horns have built their success off mediocrity? Again just wondering.

i wouldn't see it that way..........but your view maybe different.The Horns have built success off 10+ wins seasons which until this past year was snapped. Perennial favorite to win the Big 12, play in BCS games, played in two MNC(winning one), and by recruiting top players.

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Link broken.

Well here is the article that was associated with that link

08/31/2011 8:23 PM
By Kate Alexander

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

State lawmakers appear unwilling to compel the University of Texas and Texas A&M University to continue the traditional intrastate football matchup once the Aggies bolt the Big 12.

Over the decades, state legislatures in Florida, South Carolina, Georgia and elsewhere have intervened — or at least threatened to do so — to force rivals to play each other.

House Higher Education Chairman Dan Branch , R-Dallas, said "we're talking about hundred-year traditions and major, major public institutions that have not only great economic but cultural and political value to our state."

But Branch said he trusts the judgment of the school leaders, who have been open with him and other state leaders about the decision to leave the Big 12.

"It is not this chairman's intent to meddle in those types of decisions," Branch said as he opened a committee hearing Wednesday morning on a different topic.

Even if legislators wanted to intervene, the soonest they could take action would be 2013, unless Gov. Rick Perry calls a special legislative session.

Given that the Aggie-in-Chief is busy running for president, it seems unlikely he would bring legislators back to Austin before 2013. And Perry's spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said Wednesday that the decision to continue the tradition-bound game "is up to the university."

State Sen. Steve Ogden , R-Bryan, said he is concerned about the unintended consequences of such a big change, specifically mentioning the "intangibles" associated with the loss of the historic rivalry.

In the mid-1990s, Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock , House Speaker Pete Laney and other power players in the Capitol jumped in as the Southwest Conference was breaking up to ensure their beloved schools stuck together.

But Ogden said the folks manning the levers of state government today don't have the political will or a way to affect A&M's decision now.

State Sen. Kirk Watson, D-Austin, said the remaining Texas schools in the Big 12 will soldier on.

"A great many people have worked hard to maintain the important historical ties between Texas universities in a single athletic conference," Watson said. "It's unfortunate that unilateral action has been taken to undo that work."

LH Panther Mom
09-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Well here is the article that was associated with that link

State lawmakers appear unwilling to compel the University of Texas and Texas A&M University to continue the traditional intrastate football matchup once the Aggies bolt the Big 12.

I guess they got ONE thing right this millenium!

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I guess they got ONE thing right this millenium!

a little off topic............you ready for some Cards football? Hoping to make it out this season probably the Midwestern Game have a former coaching buddy that has a son that plays for them.....i'll stay in touch and maybe we can visit at the game.

LH Panther Mom
09-01-2011, 08:49 PM
a little off topic............you ready for some Cards football? Hoping to make it out this season probably the Midwestern Game have a former coaching buddy that has a son that plays for them.....i'll stay in touch and maybe we can visit at the game.
You bet! We were there Saturday for their "dress rehearsal" intrasquad scrimmage. I'm not sure why they called it dress rehearsal since they had practice jerseys on. lol

It really wasn't fair. 1's & 2's were on the black team and scout team & walk-ons were on the white team. The score was 36-10 or something like that. That little "boy" of mine is ready to get after it! Holler at me if you make it!

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 08:54 PM
You bet! We were there Saturday for their "dress rehearsal" intrasquad scrimmage. I'm not sure why they called it dress rehearsal since they had practice jerseys on. lol

It really wasn't fair. 1's & 2's were on the black team and scout team & walk-ons were on the white team. The score was 36-10 or something like that. That little "boy" of mine is ready to get after it! Holler at me if you make it!

Well Good luck to you all...and hope to see you then.