PDA

View Full Version : Monahans @ Sweetwater

TheDOCTORdre
08-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Whats this game shaping up to look like? More competitive than last years?

Tin Cup
08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Monahans 35-0

Sweetwater Red
08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Whats this game shaping up to look like? More competitive than last years?

Yes it should be more competitive than last year's 35-6 score.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm picking the 'Stangs 21-20. Sweetwater kicks 7 FGs.

Tin Cup
08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Lol SW won't even score in pre-game

Sweetwater Red
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm picking the 'Stangs 21-20. Sweetwater kicks 7 FGs.

And all of them will be from 40 plus.

Have you got a chance to see him kick yet?

Bosqueville
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM
I hope that Sweetwater keeps it close but only scoring 10 against Vernon makes me think they will not score much against the green and white.

Monahans 34
Sweetwater 6

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah I got the scrimmage and pre-game last week. His kickoffs were going 3-4 yards deep in the endzone. I'd like to see him try some 40+, I think it's possible.

stang92
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
monahans will beat s'water like a drum 42-0

Tres Lobos
08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Loboes should come out with another W. Going to try to make this one this week since angelo isn't to far away from Sweetwater.

Loboes 42
Mustangs 10

Black_Magic
08-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Lol SW won't even score in pre-game classic BW Post. Bash Bash Bash... talk about how some town and fans are classles..

BEAST
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
classic BW Post. Bash Bash Bash... talk about how some town and fans are classles..

Dude, go teach your kids to play dirty and hush!

BEAST

Tin Cup
08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
classic BW Post. Bash Bash Bash... talk about how some town and fans are classles..

Wow things are so bad in Snydur that humor isn't even allowed.

Black_Magic
08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Wow things are so bad in Snydur that humor isn't even allowed. nice excuse. " IM JUST KIDDING"... sure you are.

ForeverALobo
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking Monahans gets the victory 28-7. From what I've heard Sweetwater is on the rise back up, but I think Monahans takes care of business this year.

garciap77
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Sweetwater by 21! Go Mustangs!:cheerl:

wtxfootball08
08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Coach Slaughter will not allow his team to get beat that bad by Monahans. No disrespect to Monahans, but they played Snyder... I understand the preseason rankings and I know that Snyder is supposed to be a great team this year, but that's not the case... Snyder has One stand out player on offense, surrounded by a bunch of average guys. Overall that can make Snyder a scary team to play, but they are too inconsistent on both sides of the ball to be a heavy threat. With all of that being said I think Monahans is still a good team, and definitely not a team to overlook. But I just don't see them beating Sweetwater by any more than 17 points.

Monahans 27 to Sweetwaters 14 Final

Bosqueville
08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Coach Slaughter will not allow his team to get beat that bad by Monahans. No disrespect to Monahans, but they played Snyder... I understand the preseason rankings and I know that Snyder is supposed to be a great team this year, but that's not the case... Snyder has One stand out player on offense, surrounded by a bunch of average guys. Overall that can make Snyder a scary team to play, but they are too inconsistent on both sides of the ball to be a heavy threat. With all of that being said I think Monahans is still a good team, and definitely not a team to overlook. But I just don't see them beating Sweetwater by any more than 17 points.

Monahans 27 to Sweetwaters 14 Final

OK Black Magic... I'm awaiting your response to this post.

BEAST
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
OK Black Magic... I'm awaiting your response to this post.

Me too. It wasnt even by a Brownwood guy. Wow. Where there is smoke............

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah I got the scrimmage and pre-game last week. His kickoffs were going 3-4 yards deep in the endzone. I'd like to see him try some 40+, I think it's possible.

He's got a heckuva leg. that's for sure. He had 3 KOs in the Vernon game. One was deep in the endzone and the KR called for a fair catch. the other two were inside the five and were returned to the 25 and 29. He might need to try to get the kicks higher in the air or we need more speed on the KO team that can get down there and cover.

What amazes me is how effortless his kicks look. He just runs out on the field straight to his spot and booms it. None of that walking up to the tee, taking two steps back and two steps to the left (or right) like most kickers.One thing is for sure It's going to be fun to watch him develop over the next two years.

Btw, they have him listed as a WR/DE in the program. I haven't seen that combo since "Bootsy" was playing. lol

ForeverALobo
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I've heard Sweetwater has a much improved defense from last year. Any comments on this?

Sweetwater Red
08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
I've heard Sweetwater has a much improved defense from last year. Any comments on this?

We have improved on both sides of the ball. Our O-Line is the best it's been since Slaughter has been here and our front seven on defense are playing well. The secondary was suspect against Vernon in the second half. But, Slaughter made the necessary adlustments and pulled two kids off the field and replaced them with upper classmen and that seemed to work.

Now I've heard that Monahans has a kicker that can nail 50 yarders. I got this from the Snyder broadcasters when I was in my truck and listening to the last 3 minutes of y'alls game after ours ended. Any truth to that?

bwdlionfan
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Now I've heard that Monahans has a kicker that can nail 50 yarders. I got this from the Snyder broadcasters when I was in my truck and listening to the last 3 minutes of y'alls game after ours ended. Any truth to that?

We've got one that can... check this video out... fast forward to the 1:26 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hTIfKixII

ForeverALobo
08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
We have improved on both sides of the ball. Our O-Line is the best it's been since Slaughter has been here and our front seven on defense are playing well. The secondary was suspect against Vernon in the second half. But, Slaughter made the necessary adlustments and pulled two kids off the field and replaced them with upper classmen and that seemed to work.

Ya he hit a 46 yarder right before half that probably would have been good from 5 or 10 yards back. Sounds like Slaughter is making the right moves. Should be an exciting game this Friday! Wish I could make it

loboes86
08-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Now I've heard that Monahans has a kicker that can nail 50 yarders. I got this from the Snyder broadcasters when I was in my truck and listening to the last 3 minutes of y'alls game after ours ended. Any truth to that? After last Friday we know he can kick 46 yard fieldgoals.

slingshot
08-31-2011, 10:16 PM
We've got one that can...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hTIfKixII...as long as he has that 20+ mph wind at his back. Still impressive though.

Black_Magic
09-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I will let this season speak for its self. we will see wont we. One note. Snyder lost to Monahans by 1 point the first game of the year in 2007... Second meeting won by 40 I believe and continued on to play Celina for a semifinal game in Abilene. Season is still very young. Unlike many on this board , Im smart enough to know you dont talk like some of these bafoons because you come back to eat a plate full of it later. Season is young. Many games to be played. Kids get better as time goes on. Snyder has Always started slow and finishes strong.

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I really like how this turned into a Snyder/Brownwood thread. :crazy:

Black_Magic
09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I really like how this turned into a Snyder/Brownwood thread. :crazy:sorry. the only reason I said a word was because someone asked. Im pulling for SW. It iritates me too how BW folks just cant keep from poping off and then cry about someone being classles. Good luck SW!

Sweetwater Red
09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Sammy Baugh Classic begins

August 31, 2011

By
Ron Howell
sweetwatersports@yahoo.com

The seventh annual Sammy Baugh Classic makes its return to Mustang Bowl on Thursday, with three games on tap this year.
Sweetwater and Roscoe are playing in the Classic for the seventh straight year but are facing different opponents than in 2010, and two new teams — Rotan and Ranger — will be squaring off the final day.
Roscoe (0-1) will be seeking its first win when it plays Hawley (1-0) in Thursday’s opener at 7:30 p.m., while Sweetwater (1-0) — which is coming off a 10-0 season-opening win over Vernon at the Bowl — will be taking on No. 9-ranked Monahans (1-0) Friday at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/category/sports/local-sports

ForeverALobo
09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Sammy Baugh Classic begins

August 31, 2011

By
Ron Howell

The seventh annual Sammy Baugh Classic makes its return to Mustang Bowl on Thursday, with three games on tap this year.
Sweetwater and Roscoe are playing in the Classic for the seventh straight year but are facing different opponents than in 2010, and two new teams — Rotan and Ranger — will be squaring off the final day.
Roscoe (0-1) will be seeking its first win when it plays Hawley (1-0) in Thursday’s opener at 7:30 p.m., while Sweetwater (1-0) — which is coming off a 10-0 season-opening win over Vernon at the Bowl — will be taking on No. 9-ranked Monahans (1-0) Friday at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/category/sports/local-sports

Thanks for the article Red! I Never pass up the chance to read a great football article.

Sweetwater Red
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the article Red! I Never pass up the chance to read a great football article.

No problem. That was from yesterday's paper. Here's today's article.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/sw-hosts-no-9-monahans

SW hosts No. 9 Monahans

September 1, 2011

By
Ron Howell

For most local football observers, the jury is still out on just how good this year’s Sweetwater team is after the Mustangs’ 10-0 victory over Vernon in their season opener.
The defense had a shutout for the first time in the Craig Slaughter era and the kicking game was rock solid with Tadeo Canon-Masjoan nailing his kickoffs deep, as well as kicking a 32-yard field goal and his only extra point attempt. The latter came after Ryan Linebaugh scored Sweetwater’s only touchdown on a 1-yard run in the second period.
Linebaugh and quarter-back Taylor Jones led a run game that finished with 169 yards, and Jones also com-pleted 6 of 10 passes for 82 yards to four different Sweetwater receivers.
Linebaugh’s TD capped a 69-yard drive that ate up over seven minutes. But two Mustang drives were stalled by interceptions, including one in the end zone that prevented Sweetwater from scoring on its opening possession, and the Mustangs spent much of the second half, including nearly all of the fourth quarter, with poor field position deep on its end of the field after the defense came up with back-to-back heroic stands after Vernon twice got inside the Mustangs’ 10-yard line only to be denied points.
Now Sweetwater takes on a much stronger opponent Friday. It will host ninth-ranked Monahans, which was a 23-20 winner over then-No. 10 Snyder in its opener. Kicker Alejandro Mendoza nailed a 26-yard field goal to win the game with five seconds left.
To defeat the Loboes, the Mustangs must establish their offense and be able to move the ball early, Slaughter said. “It’s very important that we make first downs,” he said, “and not let our defense get worn down. We need to have some seven-minute drives and take care of the ball.
“And we need to win the turnover battle.”
Monahans’ defense held Snyder to under 300 yards and led most of the second half. The winning field goal was set up by Byron Scharf’s 31-yard run. Scharf, the team’s fullback, finished the night with 170 yards rushing on 23 carries and got plenty of help from fellow running back Pedro Cano, who racked up 146 yards and scored a pair of touch-downs for the Loboes.
Monahans is as physical as anyone Sweetwater will play this year and the Mus-tangs must be able to match it, Slaughter said. “They’ll be running downhill at us and we have to do the same. They’ll be totally different from Vernon,” he said.
Monahans won 35-7 last year when the teams met in Monahans, forcing three turnovers and striking for a pair of touchdowns late in the first half to break open a tight game. Monahans also had three of its touchdowns passing the ball, but stop-ping the run will be the key this Friday, Slaughter said.
Linebaugh, who finished with 22 carries in the Ver-non game and gained 55 yards, may get more help this week and that could help him break a few more long runs, Slaughter said.
“(Monahans) does things the way that we want to do it. This will be a chance for us to step up,” the head coach added. “I think the atmosphere will be extra charged up. This will be a measuring stick for us.”

tex_male
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Past by the stadium and seen our Fish over Sweetwater 43-6 in the 4th Qt.

If I remember to I will drive by again toward the end of the JV game.

Sweetwater Red
09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Past by the stadium and seen our Fish over Sweetwater 43-6 in the 4th Qt.

If I remember to I will drive by again toward the end of the JV game.

Sweetwater doesn't have a freshmen team. They have two JV teams. Red and White. I'm betting the score you saw was against the white (B) team.

bwdlionfan
09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Sweetwater doesn't have a freshmen team. They have two JV teams. Red and White. I'm betting the score you saw was against the white (B) team.

Why are there two JV teams and no 9th grade team?

So is the JV B team playing against the Monahans freshmen?

tex_male
09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
JV Monahans 21 Sweetwater 8 Final

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Why are there two JV teams and no 9th grade team?

My guess would be that it's due to a really small freshmen class. Maybe that's where the 2A rumors are coming from. The last I heard was that our enrollment was near 500. But, that was towards the end of last school year.

STANG RED
09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Got a text from Sweetwater Red a bit ago.
Sweetwater 7
Monahans 0
10 min 2nd Q.
First Q was scoreless.

STANG RED
09-02-2011, 08:12 PM
7 to 7 now. 2:22 till half

Tin Cup
09-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Monahans QB hurt...Leg injury

STANG RED
09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
7-7 Halftime

RoyceTTU
09-02-2011, 08:52 PM
7-7 Halftime

:eek: I'm impressed with Sweetwater's progression. I've said it more than once that slaughter is the real deal if you give him a chance.

STANG RED
09-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Monahans 14, Sweetwater 7, 10:03 left in 4th.

ForeverALobo
09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Sounds like this is turning out to be a good one! Wish I was there!

STANG RED
09-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Final
Mon 17
SW 7

garciap77
09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Final
Mon 17
SW 7

Close game. How is it going Stang Red?

GetRDoneStangs
09-02-2011, 11:20 PM
This was a great defensive game. They had 2 first downs in the first half and we had 1 or 2 in the second. We had some key injuries...let's hope the boy's will be ok. Monahans is a long time rival with Sweetwater and there where some great games back in the 4A 80's years. It was great they could be part of the Sammy Baugh Classic and the retiring of Sweetwater's other Hall of Fame player's Jersey....Clyde "Bulldog" Tuner.

I did not have a half time guest for radio , so I watched the bands perform...Monahans again is HUGE...but I must admit the Sweetwater Band put on one heck of a show...and I mean show! If you missed it...be at the next Mustang game and enjoy some great football and a band performance you might not see any where else!

garciap77
09-02-2011, 11:32 PM
This was a great defensive game. They had 2 first downs in the first half and we had 1 or 2 in the second. We had some key injuries...let's hope the boy's will be ok. Monahans is a long time rival with Sweetwater and there where some great games back in the 4A 80's years. It was great they could be part of the Sammy Baugh Classic and the retiring of Sweetwater's other Hall of Fame player's Jersey....Clyde "Bulldog" Tuner.

I did not have a half time guest for radio , so I watched the bands perform...Monahans again is HUGE...but I must admit the Sweetwater Band put on one heck of a show...and I mean show! If you missed it...be at the next Mustang game and enjoy some great football and a band performance you might not see any where else!

WOW!!!! Where have you been? Sounds like SW gave Monahans all they got handle!:2thumbsup

Sweetwater Red
09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
This was the typical Sweetwater/Monahans game that both our fans are used to seeing. Two hard hitting, nose to the ball, physical defenses. That's why I watch Sweetwater, Monahans and Snyder play each other every chance I get.

The Mustangs really impressed me tonight, they left it all on the field. We had players hobbling and being helped off the field all night. But, their backups came in and did their job.

Hopefully none of the injuries are too serious and we can get the kids back sooner rather than later. And something that won't make the "news" about this game is that both teams walked over as a large group and held their helmets in the air while each band was playing their school song. That's what it's all about isn't it?

tex_male
09-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Odessa American
http://varsity.oaoa.com/sports/monahans-8938-sweetwater-football.html

Sweetwater Red
09-03-2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/loboes-pull-away-4th-quarter-beat-sw-defensive-struggle

Loboes pull away in 4th quarter to beat SW in defensive struggle

It took almost an entire half for the state’s No. 9-ranked team in Class 3A to make a first down here Friday against an inspired Sweetwater defense.
And the Mustangs were still tied with Monahans 7-7 through three quarters of a classic defensive battle in Game 2 of the seventh an-nual Sammy Baugh Classic.
But the Loboes’ defense ultimately prevailed, holding Sweetwater to just three yards and no first downs in the second half and scoring 10 points in the final period for a hard-earned 17-7 win.
Monahans’ first five series produced three punts, an interception, no first downs and a negative-31 yards including penalties against a Mustang defense that had shut out Vernon in its opener. Sweetwater (1-1), meanwhile, took a 7-0 lead on Ryan Linebaugh’s 5-yard run to cap an eight-play, 36-yard drive following Nick Nemir’s interception near the end of the opening period. The defense held and Sweetwater, with the help of a Monahans penalty for pass interference, again moved into Monahans territory on its next possession before stalling out. At that point, the Loboes trailed not only 7-0 on the scoreboard but in first downs as well. But Monahans held Sweetwater without a first down the rest of the way while its offense began showing life late in the half. The Loboes’ initial first down was followed by a 47-yard touchdown run by Byron Scharf, and the extra point made it 7-7 with 2:22 left in the second quarter.
Neither team did much offensively in Period 3, but great field position helped Monahans begin to start taking control. The Loboes forced the Mustangs’ sixth punt after pinning them at their 1, and took over at Sweetwater’s 41.
Again, Sweetwater’s de-fense made the yards tough to come by. But Monahans (2-0) would not be denied, finally scoring on a 16-yard run by Pedro Cano with 10:03 left to make it 14-7. The Loboes faced third-and-14 after a fumbled snap, two-yard run and 5-yard motion penalty, but Cano — who had just 21 yards on 13 carries to that point — was able to shed a tackle and break free for his team’s go-ahead touchdown. After the defense held Sweetwater yet again, Monahans then moved 61 yards in eight plays to set up a 31-yard field goal by Alejandro Mendoza and in-crease the Loboes’ lead to 17-7 with 4:46 remaining.
“I think this game shows how far that we’ve come,” said Sweetwater head coach Craig Slaughter. “This is the first good team that we’ve played toe-to-toe with since I’ve been here.
“But you can’t keep put-ting them back on the field like we did. We were just worn down at the end and Monahans took advantage. Defensively, I think we’ve shown we’re extremely high caliber. But offensively, we’re not even average, and we’ve got to get there to help the defense.”
Monahans finished with 247 yards, with over half of its total (136 yards) coming in the fourth quarter.
Sweetwater, which gained 251 yards against Vernon in its season-opening 10-0 win, gained 88 of its 91 yards against Monahans in the first two periods.
The Mustangs go on the road to face Levelland this Friday, then are home to face Early before playing the next three on the road.

tex_male
09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Monahans started this game with their secound string QB and it showed several times when it looked like he didn't know what play routes were being run by the backs and recievers. When it became known more that Monahans does not have the passing game it had last year Sweetwater just had to stack the box and make Monahans earn every yard which wore Sweetwater's D down. I think Sweetwater should be able to make the 3rd playoff spot in District 5.

Tin Cup
09-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Monahans started this game with their secound string QB and it showed several times when it looked like he didn't know what play routes were being run by the backs and recievers. When it became known more that Monahans does not have the passing game it had last year Sweetwater just had to stack the box and make Monahans earn every yard which wore Sweetwater's D down. I think Sweetwater should be able to make the 3rd playoff spot in District 5.

Over Snyder, Brownwood or Wylie

loboes86
09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Over Snyder, Brownwood or WylieSweetwater should not be overlooked or underestimated.