PDA

View Full Version : What a Difference a Year Makes

Phil C
07-10-2003, 10:12 AM
A friend showed me an email that showed a contrst between Hollywood of today and in the 40s. If you saw the oscars you saw the prevailing attitude of Hollywood today. At the oscars only one retire star supported our troops and war effort. I recorded this program and the large prevailing attitude was much disrespect to our president and troops and war efforts. And to our discredit they are still making money. Just look at the blockbusters in the news and you will see what I mean. What a shame Hollywood shows that attitude. What was the attitude 60 years ago in the 1940s. Well several stars served in the armed forces and temporarily put outstanding carrers on hold (and some never recovered when they got back such as Wayne Morris who was a decorated pilot) to serve in the armed services such as James Steward and Clark Gable to name a few. Others used their star status to support and raise money for the war effort such as John Wayne and Abbot & Costello. We all know what Bob Hope did and if health had permitted he would have been in Iraq. Others risked their lives also to go entertain the troops. Carol Lombard lost her life in an airplane crash while going overseas to entertain the troops. Leslie Howard who played Ashley in Gone with the Wind lost his life while flying a bombing mission over Germany. These are just a few of the many examples. What a sad difference in comparsion to the times.

Phil C
07-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Sorry about the mess up on the tittle on this trend. It should have been what a difference 60 years make! Oh well. My typing skills aren't what they used to be when I was younger but I am sure you all got the general idea anyway.

Old Dog
07-10-2003, 10:42 AM
One of my concerns is that young people, in general, have few to influence them other than the entertainment industry. We all know that sports is a large portion of the entertainment industry too.....and I sure don't see a multitude of good influence coming from there!

pirate4state
07-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Phil C:
Sorry about the mess up on the tittle on this trend. It should have been what a difference 60 years make! Oh well. My typing skills aren't what they used to be when I was younger but I am sure you all got the general idea anyway.FYI:
If you really want to change the subject title you can. Just go to the first entry of your topic, choose edit message, the next screen should be the edit post window, but since you began the topic it'll bring up the subject line & you can edit it. wink :D

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: pirate4state ]</small>

sinton66
07-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Cool, something new. We didn't used to be able to do that. I'm glad we can, I always think of a better way after I've already posted it! wink

sinton66
07-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Sorry we got off the subject, Phil. Back on topic, I think parents must be intimately involved with their children's lives these days. There are still organizations out there for young people that teach and practice good old fashioned family values. Now more than ever, they need support. Organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, and many church sponsored youth organizations have all stuck to their guns and upheld family values. Despite Supreme Court rulings in their favor, most of the "politically correct" Charity organizations have begun to cut off their funding. I, for one, think this is very misguided, and plan to respond in kind to their donation requests, and send the money directly to the organizations I think are worthy.

Anyone who looks to Hollywood for guidance in life (no matter what the subject matter) is bound to take the wrong path. NOTHING Hollywierd has done in the last thirty years has anything to do with reality. These are definitely not the people I want my children or grandchildren trying to emulate.

<small>[ July 11, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>