PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article

HEMOTOXIC
08-29-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/justice/article/This-Aggie-joke-is-on-the-Longhorns-2144474.php

This Aggie joke is on the Longhorns
By RICHARD JUSTICE, Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Updated 10:26 p.m., Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'm guessing there are plenty of Longhorns feeling just a little bit envious about how things are turning out for Texas A&M.

Oh, they'll never admit it because, well, you know how some people are just too proud to give the other guy credit. They'll puff up their chests and tell you about their little television network and how the world still revolves around them.

Two or three of them may still believe it. When they say these things, be kind to them. These are tough times. They're used to having their way. They thought they had surrounded themselves with schools happy to be in their shadow.

They just never counted on someone getting uppity, and that's the bottom line in all of this. Texas thought A&M was another Baylor.

The Longhorns never thought the Aggies would actually leave for the Southeastern Conference. Actually, they believed the SEC would take Texas A&M only if it brought Texas along. That has been their mantra for the last year.

Now they're watching the Aggies about to leave for a great adventure and thinking, "That sure looks like fun."

It ticks them off to know the Aggies outsmarted them, and it kills them to think the Aggies are moving into a better neighborhood.

All the things the Aggies think they're getting from the SEC - a unique identity, more prestigious conference and greater stability - might be true.

The Aggies are trading Waco, Lubbock and Stillwater for Athens, Oxford and Tuscaloosa, and who wouldn't make that swap?

I have no idea how competitive A&M will be, and I still think its easiest path to a BCS bowl is to remain in the Big 12. But as they like to say in Austin, it's about the branding.

The SEC is forever. Regardless of how many times college football's cards are shuffled over the next few years, A&M knows where it will be.

Meanwhile, the Big 12 remains a house of cards. When Oklahoma finally joins the Pac-12, the Big 12 is toast.

If you're an Aggie, you're looking at trips to some of college's football's iconic addresses: The Swamp. Death Valley. Neyland Stadium. Bryant-Denny.

School of choice: BYU

The Longhorns will tell you the Aggies are going to get their heads handed to them in the SEC, and maybe they will. But that's part of the challenge.

If you're wondering what's next for the Big 12, that's easy. Brigham Young is the least threatening choice to Texas, and so Brigham Young it's likely to be.

When that happens, it'll re-enforce many of the gripes A&M and Nebraska had about the Big 12.

First, it's a Texas production. As long as there are enough schools thrilled to be satellites of Texas, nothing will change.

That's why TCU won't be getting a call. Neither will SMU or Houston. Those three schools are threats to UT. They've all rebuilt their programs, hired terrific coaches and gotten themselves competitive on the field and off.

And that's the last thing Texas wants.

All three have the potential to cut into UT's recruiting dominance in a way BYU never will. Remember those beatings SMU and UH delivered to Texas in the Southwest Conference? The Longhorns sure do.

And forget that talk about television markets. Texas and Oklahoma drive the ratings wagon regardless of who else is in the conference. If TCU is put on a bigger stage, TCU will do just fine in the ratings game. Likewise, SMU and Houston are exciting teams. If America tunes in once, it'll tune back in.

Legislators powerless

But there's too much risk to Texas, so the Longhorns may talk up Notre Dame and Arkansas, but they'll end up with BYU.

There are state legislators saying they will press Texas to take SMU and/or Houston. They're wasting their breath. Texas listens to no one.

Besides, whatever Texas decides to do with the Big 12 is only temporary. The conference will be held together by the thinnest of strings.

Texas isn't compelled to do anything to strengthen it - say, make it a 12-team conference - because Texas is bulletproof. When the Big 12 collapses, UT will go independent and leave the others scrambling to find a rung on the ladder.

Texas A&M decided not to wait for that day. When the Big 12 blows up, the Aggies will have the upper hand on Texas. This time, the Aggie joke is on the Longhorns.

richard.justice@chron.com

twitter.com@richardjustice

BaseballUmp
08-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Especially since he is an alumnus of UT

eagles_victory
08-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Justice always kills UT.

trojandad
08-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Justice always kills UT.

wait, while i feel i understand particular articles by him that arent pro texas, your response said "always"...you arent REALLY meaning justice has never written a pro ut article, are you? cause 100 of them are just a google away......not wanting to ticky tack words, just wanting to know if you meant your response verbatim?....

eagles_victory
08-30-2011, 12:20 AM
wait, while i feel i understand particular articles by him that arent pro texas, your response said "always"...you arent REALLY meaning justice has never written a pro ut article, are you? cause 100 of them are just a google away......not wanting to ticky tack words, just wanting to know if you meant your response verbatim?.... I just meant lately on twitter almost everything he has had to say has been anti-Texas dealing with this subject.

trojandad
08-30-2011, 12:29 AM
I just meant lately on twitter almost everything he has had to say has been anti-Texas dealing with this subject.

i gotcha...yes, on this subject he has no love loss for ut...im an smu alum so im outside this mix (until my wife came here i never had any regard period for a&m, now i have some if not a ton), but i sure agree with one issue about this, no matter who is jumping ship, etc etc, everyone giving up contracts may be the lowest of the low, but i sure would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when all these talks were going on with espn to see if anyone on ut's support side ever once said "what happens if the other teams leave?"...if they considered it at all and did what they did anyway, more power to them, they are the victims in this....it just appears to us outside that dont have a dog in this fight that they didnt once scratch their heads and think about that possibility.....

maybe they did, maybe they are the true victims in all this, i dont know....only the ones that sat in those think tank times do....and they seem to be playing the victim card hard and heavy....i probably would too if i were them....

eagles_victory
08-30-2011, 01:15 AM
i gotcha...yes, on this subject he has no love loss for ut...im an smu alum so im outside this mix (until my wife came here i never had any regard period for a&m, now i have some if not a ton), but i sure agree with one issue about this, no matter who is jumping ship, etc etc, everyone giving up contracts may be the lowest of the low, but i sure would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when all these talks were going on with espn to see if anyone on ut's support side ever once said "what happens if the other teams leave?"...if they considered it at all and did what they did anyway, more power to them, they are the victims in this....it just appears to us outside that dont have a dog in this fight that they didnt once scratch their heads and think about that possibility.....

maybe they did, maybe they are the true victims in all this, i dont know....only the ones that sat in those think tank times do....and they seem to be playing the victim card hard and heavy....i probably would too if i were them.... The entire thing is completely out of control and has blown up to a level that I highly doubt anyone anticipated. Who knows what went on behind closed doors all we can do is speculate; however I wonder if knowing then what they know now how the UT brass may have done things differently.

I think A&M was ruffled last year when all the Pac-16 talk started and everyone was saying if Texas goes than A&M, Tech, OSU, OU would all certainly follow. I don't think Aggies liked the idea of people saying they would just follow UT wherever they want which I can understand. But right after everyone started saying all that then the A&M to the SEC talk started. Fast forward to this year when A&M doesn't like where the UT network is going the SEC talk starts again.

trojandad
08-30-2011, 01:29 AM
The entire thing is completely out of control and has blown up to a level that I highly doubt anyone anticipated. Who knows what went on behind closed doors all we can do is speculate; however I wonder if knowing then what they know now how the UT brass may have done things differently.

I think A&M was ruffled last year when all the Pac-16 talk started and everyone was saying if Texas goes than A&M, Tech, OSU, OU would all certainly follow. I don't think Aggies liked the idea of people saying they would just follow UT wherever they want which I can understand. But right after everyone started saying all that then the A&M to the SEC talk started. Fast forward to this year when A&M doesn't like where the UT network is going the SEC talk starts again.

another wall i wished i had been a fly on, because if i had to bet my mortgage one way or the other, id bet that sherman contacted the sec on joining years ago, should he be able to gt the quality of ball back up...sherman is so deep with sec coaching past buddies its not funny....i think hes the one who started the ball rolling and loftin is taking the heat for him....could be wrong, have been many times in my life, but my accountant always told me "in a fight, watch the one not fighting".....thats sherman....

eagles_victory
08-30-2011, 02:21 AM
another wall i wished i had been a fly on, because if i had to bet my mortgage one way or the other, id bet that sherman contacted the sec on joining years ago, should he be able to gt the quality of ball back up...sherman is so deep with sec coaching past buddies its not funny....i think hes the one who started the ball rolling and loftin is taking the heat for him....could be wrong, have been many times in my life, but my accountant always told me "in a fight, watch the one not fighting".....thats sherman.... Never thought of it that way. Definite food for thought though very possibly could potentially be what happened.

LionFan72
08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Maybe i was daydreaming, but I distinctly remember hearing on ESPN that the SEC rejected A&M?????

trojandad
08-30-2011, 08:53 AM
a&m had to have heard things from the sec behind closed doors.....my guess....

Txbroadcaster
08-30-2011, 09:03 AM
a&m had to have heard things from the sec behind closed doors.....my guess....

SEC only rejected them until they could get a free and clear move from Big 12 to SEC which is what is happening now

BEAST
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Maybe i was daydreaming, but I distinctly remember hearing on ESPN that the SEC rejected A&M?????

The SEC "rejected" A&M because The Ags hadnt formally let the Big 12-2 know it was exploring the move. The SEC doesnt want legal issues over this deal. Now the Ags have done the formalities. Things will likely change soon.

BEAST

LionFan72
08-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I wasn't really paying attention when I heard that SEC rejection, so thanks for clearing that up!

The Big 12-2 is really dead, we get zero respect in national media cause of where we are, and it is a big letdown for all schools involved not to have the national spotlight. In my humble opinion, the Big12-2 is little more than Div. II without UT and Oklahoma in the media eyes.

I agree that is time for a shake up and see what falls out, things could only get better I think!

RoyceTTU
08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Rumors have it that A&M might announce something as early as today.

Old Tiger
08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Justin is has always been pro-Aggie.

Old Tiger
08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
The entire thing is completely out of control and has blown up to a level that I highly doubt anyone anticipated. Who knows what went on behind closed doors all we can do is speculate; however I wonder if knowing then what they know now how the UT brass may have done things differently.

I think A&M was ruffled last year when all the Pac-16 talk started and everyone was saying if Texas goes than A&M, Tech, OSU, OU would all certainly follow. I don't think Aggies liked the idea of people saying they would just follow UT wherever they want which I can understand. But right after everyone started saying all that then the A&M to the SEC talk started. Fast forward to this year when A&M doesn't like where the UT network is going the SEC talk starts again.I don't know how you do things much different....

First you go to the conference to get them to try to form a conference network...they say no.

Then you go to A&M and ask if they want to create a Lone Star Network where revenue is split 50/50...they say no

Then ESPN offers you $300 million and you're supposed to say no?

1st and goal
08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I will miss the rivalries. It will be tough. Looking ahead to it if it happens, imagine playing Alabama, Auburn in Kyle field....

1st and goal
08-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Here's an interesting point of view from Coach Mac and the new network...Is he having 2nd thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6853849/mack-brown-texas-longhorns-balancing-longhorn-network-access-job-demands

Old Tiger
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
An even more interesting article

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44329182

There's been much talk about the SEC's television contracts and how the addition of Texas A&M would change the conference.

If the conference is different, even by one member, the thinking goes that the SEC could re-open its television deals with CBS

[CBS 25.01 0.54 (+2.21%) ] and ESPN [DIS 33.10 -0.06 (-0.18%) ], deals that were signed in 2009 and now seem to be below market value.

But adding A&M won't mean that CBS and ESPN will automatically have to pay more than the $825 million and the $2.25 billion they respectively agreed to pay for 15 years of rights. Why? Because there's already protections in its current contract.

It's called a composition of conference clause and it says that if the composition of the conference changes, the networks and the conference has to prove whether the change makes the conference TV rights more or less valuable.

Texas A&M adds some of Texas, but it does not deliver the state of Texas like the Longhorns do. And the SEC already has a lucrative championship game.

"Adding one or two teams does not cause the entire agreement to be renegotiated," said Neal Pilson, former CBS Sports president, who now consults on television deals.

While Pilson said it's hard to argue that A&M's addition would dilute the conference, he says the Aggies have "minimal impact." "There are smart people at both ESPN and CBS and I would anticipate that they foresaw this type of contingency," Pilson said. "Based on their record over a period of time, it doesn't appear like Texas A&M is going to be in the top tier of teams in the SEC. So if there's any adjustment to the TV deals, I would anticipate that it would be a very modest adjustment, if anything."

If A&M was added as an equal partner, the TV deals would have to be bumped up by 8.3 percent in order for the SEC members to make the same money they make now off the TV deals. It's not a guarantee that will happen.

For the record Mack never wanted all the cameras and access that they will have allowed.

Buff42
08-30-2011, 04:28 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. Good research and well written story- good job Justice. Some schools (and Coaches) are too big for their own britches.......

Buff42
08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
For the record Mack never wanted all the cameras and access that they will have allowed.[/QUOTE]

Of course he didn't. All he wanted was the $$$$$. Mack Brown less Vince Young equals an unemployed "shoulda-coulda" coach.

TheDOCTORdre
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Rumors have it that A&M might announce something as early as today.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6909072/texas-aggies-spokesman-denies-school-sent-withdrawal-letter-big-12

Phil C
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVWArmysic

Macarthur
08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
An even more interesting article

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44329182

There's been much talk about the SEC's television contracts and how the addition of Texas A&M would change the conference.

If the conference is different, even by one member, the thinking goes that the SEC could re-open its television deals with CBS

[CBS 25.01 0.54 (+2.21%) ] and ESPN [DIS 33.10 -0.06 (-0.18%) ], deals that were signed in 2009 and now seem to be below market value.

But adding A&M won't mean that CBS and ESPN will automatically have to pay more than the $825 million and the $2.25 billion they respectively agreed to pay for 15 years of rights. Why? Because there's already protections in its current contract.

It's called a composition of conference clause and it says that if the composition of the conference changes, the networks and the conference has to prove whether the change makes the conference TV rights more or less valuable.

Texas A&M adds some of Texas, but it does not deliver the state of Texas like the Longhorns do. And the SEC already has a lucrative championship game.

"Adding one or two teams does not cause the entire agreement to be renegotiated," said Neal Pilson, former CBS Sports president, who now consults on television deals.

While Pilson said it's hard to argue that A&M's addition would dilute the conference, he says the Aggies have "minimal impact." "There are smart people at both ESPN and CBS and I would anticipate that they foresaw this type of contingency," Pilson said. "Based on their record over a period of time, it doesn't appear like Texas A&M is going to be in the top tier of teams in the SEC. So if there's any adjustment to the TV deals, I would anticipate that it would be a very modest adjustment, if anything."

If A&M was added as an equal partner, the TV deals would have to be bumped up by 8.3 percent in order for the SEC members to make the same money they make now off the TV deals. It's not a guarantee that will happen.

For the record Mack never wanted all the cameras and access that they will have allowed.

I have a very hard time believing that this doesn't bring a larger TV market to the SEC. Houston and DFW are both top 10 media markets. San Antonio is top 40 and Austin top 50. That's a lot of TV sets.

eagles_victory
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I hate when people say that about Vince he went to 2 BCS Bowls with Colt Mccoy?

Macarthur
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_media_markets_and_college_football#The_10_ smallest_Division_I_TV_markets_.28FBS_or_FCS.29

This is an interesting look at media markets how they relate to college football. The thing is, outside of Atlanta, the SEC has very little to offer with regards to media markets. Getting Texas A&M in gives them a huge increase in media market rankings. With Houston being the closest big city to A&M (over 2 million population), that is more population that all the SEC cities in which each school is located added together. That doesn't even touch on the DFW and SA/Austin markets. Those are big numbers and I think the SEC will have more than enough of a leg to stand on to renegotiate.

trojandad
08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_media_markets_and_college_football#The_10_ smallest_Division_I_TV_markets_.28FBS_or_FCS.29

This is an interesting look at media markets how they relate to college football. The thing is, outside of Atlanta, the SEC has very little to offer with regards to media markets. Getting Texas A&M in gives them a huge increase in media market rankings. With Houston being the closest big city to A&M (over 2 million population), that is more population that all the SEC cities in which each school is located added together. That doesn't even touch on the DFW and SA/Austin markets. Those are big numbers and I think the SEC will have more than enough of a leg to stand on to renegotiate.

we dont agree much, but your dead on with this one....

Macarthur
08-30-2011, 06:27 PM
we dont agree much, but your dead on with this one....

Well, I don't think you can argue against the numbers. That's why I scratched my head when many folks wondered why the SEC would want A&M. Well, duh, it's called TV sets and Texas is a huge market!

trojandad
08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, I don't think you can argue against the numbers. That's why I scratched my head when many folks wondered why the SEC would want A&M. Well, duh, it's called TV sets and Texas is a huge market!

you know what i think it is? i could be wrong, but when i talk to my ut friends, they just dontt believe that the ags have pull in houston....they think they recruit better there, their games have better numbers than the ags, and while those cases might be true, just because they dont have ALL the tv sets doesnt mean they dont have a LOT of them....and thats all any conference wants, is a lot.....which is why i bet patterson is making calls too, telling the sec powers that be how many sets he now has in dallas and that its easier to schedule two teams than just one.....

Old Tiger
08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Longhorns draw more tv markets and viewership than the aggies do

Macarthur
08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
No one is arguing A&M draws more tv's than ut, but they still draw a lot.

NastySlot
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsjhgE9CK4Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lets take timeout to have a little laugh.

NastySlot
08-30-2011, 09:03 PM
here's another one.....to give you a little laugh...............Hey Phil you like music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-OMsn4Mo0

still won't believe a move til I see it.

bigcountry
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM

Of course he didn't. All he wanted was the $$$$$. Mack Brown less Vince Young equals an unemployed "shoulda-coulda" coach.[/QUOTE]

Well, Mack the "shoulda-coulda" coach has stacked up pretty good against the ags now hasn't he? It appears the ags have had a lot of "shoulda-coulda" coaches huh? Found these interesting stats....Mack in a very short period has been more productive in MANY categories than the ags in their entire existence (almost comical):
National Championships:
MB: 1; Aggy: 1 (1939)

Top 5 Finishes:
MB: 3; Aggy: 2 (1939 & 1956)

Top 10 Finishes:
MB: 5; Aggy: 10 (last in 1994)

Bowl Wins:
MB: 7; Aggy: 13 (2001 Galleryfurniture.com Bowl vs. TCU, most recent)

10+ Win Seasons:
MB: 7; Aggy: 11

Consecutive 9+ Win Seasons
MB: 10*; Aggy: 6 (1990-95, Slocum)
*current

Consecutive 10+ Win Seasons:
MB: 7*; Aggy 4 (1991-94, Slocum)
*current

First Round Draft Picks:
MB: 13; Aggy: 26 (Warren most recent, 2003)

Top 10 NFL draft picks:
MB: 7; Aggy: 12 (Adams most recent, 1994)

Top 5 NFL Draft Picks:
MB: 5; Aggy: 7 (Coryatt most recent, 1992)

Heisman Winners:
MB: 1; Aggy: 1 (John David Crow, 1957)

Heisman Runner-Ups:
MB: 1; Aggy: 1 (John Kimbrough, 1940)

Doak Walker Awards:
MB: 2; Aggy: 0

Maxwell Awards:

Davey O’Brien Awards:
MB: 1; Aggy: 0

Thorpe Awards:

Butkis Awards:

bigcountry
08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/justice/article/This-Aggie-joke-is-on-the-Longhorns-2144474.php

This Aggie joke is on the Longhorns
By RICHARD JUSTICE, Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Updated 10:26 p.m., Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'm guessing there are plenty of Longhorns feeling just a little bit envious about how things are turning out for Texas A&M.

Oh, they'll never admit it because, well, you know how some people are just too proud to give the other guy credit. They'll puff up their chests and tell you about their little television network and how the world still revolves around them.

Two or three of them may still believe it. When they say these things, be kind to them. These are tough times. They're used to having their way. They thought they had surrounded themselves with schools happy to be in their shadow.

They just never counted on someone getting uppity, and that's the bottom line in all of this. Texas thought A&M was another Baylor.

The Longhorns never thought the Aggies would actually leave for the Southeastern Conference. Actually, they believed the SEC would take Texas A&M only if it brought Texas along. That has been their mantra for the last year.

Now they're watching the Aggies about to leave for a great adventure and thinking, "That sure looks like fun."

It ticks them off to know the Aggies outsmarted them, and it kills them to think the Aggies are moving into a better neighborhood.

All the things the Aggies think they're getting from the SEC - a unique identity, more prestigious conference and greater stability - might be true.

The Aggies are trading Waco, Lubbock and Stillwater for Athens, Oxford and Tuscaloosa, and who wouldn't make that swap?

I have no idea how competitive A&M will be, and I still think its easiest path to a BCS bowl is to remain in the Big 12. But as they like to say in Austin, it's about the branding.

The SEC is forever. Regardless of how many times college football's cards are shuffled over the next few years, A&M knows where it will be.

Meanwhile, the Big 12 remains a house of cards. When Oklahoma finally joins the Pac-12, the Big 12 is toast.

If you're an Aggie, you're looking at trips to some of college's football's iconic addresses: The Swamp. Death Valley. Neyland Stadium. Bryant-Denny.

School of choice: BYU

The Longhorns will tell you the Aggies are going to get their heads handed to them in the SEC, and maybe they will. But that's part of the challenge.

If you're wondering what's next for the Big 12, that's easy. Brigham Young is the least threatening choice to Texas, and so Brigham Young it's likely to be.

When that happens, it'll re-enforce many of the gripes A&M and Nebraska had about the Big 12.

First, it's a Texas production. As long as there are enough schools thrilled to be satellites of Texas, nothing will change.

That's why TCU won't be getting a call. Neither will SMU or Houston. Those three schools are threats to UT. They've all rebuilt their programs, hired terrific coaches and gotten themselves competitive on the field and off.

And that's the last thing Texas wants.

All three have the potential to cut into UT's recruiting dominance in a way BYU never will. Remember those beatings SMU and UH delivered to Texas in the Southwest Conference? The Longhorns sure do.

And forget that talk about television markets. Texas and Oklahoma drive the ratings wagon regardless of who else is in the conference. If TCU is put on a bigger stage, TCU will do just fine in the ratings game. Likewise, SMU and Houston are exciting teams. If America tunes in once, it'll tune back in.

Legislators powerless

But there's too much risk to Texas, so the Longhorns may talk up Notre Dame and Arkansas, but they'll end up with BYU.

There are state legislators saying they will press Texas to take SMU and/or Houston. They're wasting their breath. Texas listens to no one.

Besides, whatever Texas decides to do with the Big 12 is only temporary. The conference will be held together by the thinnest of strings.

Texas isn't compelled to do anything to strengthen it - say, make it a 12-team conference - because Texas is bulletproof. When the Big 12 collapses, UT will go independent and leave the others scrambling to find a rung on the ladder.

Texas A&M decided not to wait for that day. When the Big 12 blows up, the Aggies will have the upper hand on Texas. This time, the Aggie joke is on the Longhorns.

richard.justice@chron.com

twitter.com@richardjustice

Hemotoxic, Good luck competing in the SEC when you are a regular "middle of the pack" school in the Big 12. A reminder:
Big 12 standings since 1996
Texas 90 30
Oklahoma 86 34
Nebraska 81 39
Kansas State 70 50
Texas Tech 69 51
Texas A&M 61 59
Colorado 60 60
Missouri 58 62
Okl. State 55 65
Kansas 36 84
Iowa State 34 86
Baylor 18 102

You want to quote Richard Justice, so I can give you some other random quotes from media & others that are SPOT ON. Not everyone wears maroon shaded glasses in this deal:

"Aggies live off a regular diet of an embarrassing inferiority complex and an irrational superiority complex." -Jerome Solomon, Houston Chronicle 8/11/2011

"’I'm not quite as sure why the SEC wants A&M, because other than getting its toes into the state of Texas (assuming College Station counts) this is like a high-end mall expanding to add a Walgreens."
-Atlanta Journal Constitution 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M’s move would be a significant domino to fall. That’s ironic considering the Aggies won their lone national championship in football in 1939 and have two bowl wins in the past 20 years (those in the Alamo and Galleryfurniture.com Bowls"

Entire college landscape could shift thanks to a program that hasn't won a league title since 1998 and has one bowl win since 1995
@PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

Emotional. Thin skinned. Insecure. Texas A&M.
Forty Acres 8/13/2011

"Hard to believe a program that is a whopping three games over .500 in the past nine football seasons could decide the future of an entire nation, but that may be where we're headed"
Pat Forde 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M has less chance of achieving kingpin status in the SEC than in the Big 12. That's not even debatable. What's gained in autonomy could be sacrificed in glory. Put it this way: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor don't play in the SEC."
Pat Forde 8/13/2011

Texas' multimillion-dollar Longhorn Network deal with ESPN rekindled the belief in Texas A&M people that it will never be able to command equal footing with their rivals from Austin. And equal footing with Texas is everything for the Aggies.
8/13/2011

I remember being in College Station in 2006 and listening to A&M officials chafe at Texas for building its new "Godzillatron" video board to be bigger than the Aggies' new one. A&M went huge, at 53 by 73 feet. Texas went huger, at 55 by 134 feet. That's the way it's always been for the passionate fans of A&M. And Texas fans delight in that fact.
Pat Forde 8/13/2011

"Consider that the Aggies’ last Big 12 title in football was in 1998 and their lone bowl victory since 1995 came in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. But as they walk the plank to be devoured in the SEC ? hello, Louisiana State, Alabama and Auburn ? at least Texas A&M’s leaders can revel in having the college sports world breathlessly follow them for a few days in August."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"But the relative calm of the past nine months ended on Friday, with Texas A&M finally finding national relevance by preparing to sprint out of the Big 12 like a kindergartner whose lunch money was taken. "
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"Give credit to Oklahoma’s athletic director, Joe Castiglione, who shunned the prospect of more money from the SEC on the basis of principle and common sense. The principle ? ignored by Texas A&M ? stems from the agreements made last year between the remaining Big 12 teams after Colorado left for the Pac-12 and Nebraska bolted for the Big Ten. The common sense comes from knowing that the Big 12 still offers the most realistic path to the Bowl Championship Series title game."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M, meanwhile, will face a harsh reality on the field in the SEC, where it is light years from being competitive, and perhaps on the recruiting trail, where the local talent pool will be raided after recruiters from its new league are given an opening in Houston."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"It's a move based on ego"...."ATM has been living in the shadow of Texas for quite some time" "I think they (aggy) can hang in that middle part of the SEC, record wise"
Andy Katz 8/14/2011

There would be a change but not a huge one. Texas A&M would still have to recruit Texas and Oklahoma as much as ever and would still struggle landing those top recruits against the Longhorns and Sooners, especially without the lure for recruits of playing against the two Big 12 powers."
Mike Farrell 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M recruits primarily in the state of Texas and, while a move may help sway a couple of prospects who want to play in a different conference than they are used to seeing everyday, I don't think the effect will be too big in the state"
Brian Perroni 8/13/2011

"this is deep-seated envy"
Doug Gottlieb 8/13/2011

eagles_victory
08-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Of course he didn't. All he wanted was the $$$$$. Mack Brown less Vince Young equals an unemployed "shoulda-coulda" coach.

Well, Mack the "shoulda-coulda" coach has stacked up pretty good against the ags now hasn't he? It appears the ags have had a lot of "shoulda-coulda" coaches huh? Found these interesting stats....Mack in a very short period has been more productive in MANY categories than the ags in their entire existence (almost comical):
National Championships:
MB: 1; Aggy: 1 (1939)

Top 5 Finishes:
MB: 3; Aggy: 2 (1939 & 1956)

Top 10 Finishes:
MB: 5; Aggy: 10 (last in 1994)

Bowl Wins:
MB: 7; Aggy: 13 (2001 Galleryfurniture.com Bowl vs. TCU, most recent)

10+ Win Seasons:
MB: 7; Aggy: 11

Consecutive 9+ Win Seasons
MB: 10*; Aggy: 6 (1990-95, Slocum)
*current

Consecutive 10+ Win Seasons:
MB: 7*; Aggy 4 (1991-94, Slocum)
*current

First Round Draft Picks:
MB: 13; Aggy: 26 (Warren most recent, 2003)

Top 10 NFL draft picks:
MB: 7; Aggy: 12 (Adams most recent, 1994)

Top 5 NFL Draft Picks:
MB: 5; Aggy: 7 (Coryatt most recent, 1992)

Heisman Winners:
MB: 1; Aggy: 1 (John David Crow, 1957)

Heisman Runner-Ups:
MB: 1; Aggy: 1 (John Kimbrough, 1940)

Doak Walker Awards:

Maxwell Awards:

Davey O’Brien Awards:

Thorpe Awards:

Butkis Awards:
MB: 1; Aggy: 0[/QUOTE] I don't think those consecutive win 9 and 10 win seasons are current streaks.

oldtownag
08-31-2011, 06:12 AM
For all the "we are so good at football" talk, tu has only 2 conference championships since 2000 (I know the aggies have none). Oklahoma has 7 in the same time period. It looks like tu should stop worrying about TAMU and start worrying about OU.

P.S. The opinions of a bunch of sip supporters carry no weight at Texas A&M.

TAMU might be making a mistake but at least we are not sitting back, doing nothing, hoping that everything turns out ok!

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Hemotoxic, Good luck competing in the SEC when you are a regular "middle of the pack" school in the Big 12. A reminder:
Big 12 standings since 1996
Texas 90 30
Oklahoma 86 34
Nebraska 81 39
Kansas State 70 50
Texas Tech 69 51
Texas A&M 61 59
Colorado 60 60
Missouri 58 62
Okl. State 55 65
Kansas 36 84
Iowa State 34 86
Baylor 18 102

You want to quote Richard Justice, so I can give you some other random quotes from media & others that are SPOT ON. Not everyone wears maroon shaded glasses in this deal:

"Aggies live off a regular diet of an embarrassing inferiority complex and an irrational superiority complex." -Jerome Solomon, Houston Chronicle 8/11/2011

"’I'm not quite as sure why the SEC wants A&M, because other than getting its toes into the state of Texas (assuming College Station counts) this is like a high-end mall expanding to add a Walgreens."

"Texas A&M’s move would be a significant domino to fall. That’s ironic considering the Aggies won their lone national championship in football in 1939 and have two bowl wins in the past 20 years (those in the Alamo and Galleryfurniture.com Bowls"

Entire college landscape could shift thanks to a program that hasn't won a league title since 1998 and has one bowl win since 1995
@PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

Emotional. Thin skinned. Insecure. Texas A&M.
Forty Acres 8/13/2011

"Hard to believe a program that is a whopping three games over .500 in the past nine football seasons could decide the future of an entire nation, but that may be where we're headed"
Pat Forde 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M has less chance of achieving kingpin status in the SEC than in the Big 12. That's not even debatable. What's gained in autonomy could be sacrificed in glory. Put it this way: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor don't play in the SEC."
Pat Forde 8/13/2011

Texas' multimillion-dollar Longhorn Network deal with ESPN rekindled the belief in Texas A&M people that it will never be able to command equal footing with their rivals from Austin. And equal footing with Texas is everything for the Aggies.
8/13/2011

I remember being in College Station in 2006 and listening to A&M officials chafe at Texas for building its new "Godzillatron" video board to be bigger than the Aggies' new one. A&M went huge, at 53 by 73 feet. Texas went huger, at 55 by 134 feet. That's the way it's always been for the passionate fans of A&M. And Texas fans delight in that fact.
Pat Forde 8/13/2011

"Consider that the Aggies’ last Big 12 title in football was in 1998 and their lone bowl victory since 1995 came in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. But as they walk the plank to be devoured in the SEC ? hello, Louisiana State, Alabama and Auburn ? at least Texas A&M’s leaders can revel in having the college sports world breathlessly follow them for a few days in August."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"But the relative calm of the past nine months ended on Friday, with Texas A&M finally finding national relevance by preparing to sprint out of the Big 12 like a kindergartner whose lunch money was taken. "
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"Give credit to Oklahoma’s athletic director, Joe Castiglione, who shunned the prospect of more money from the SEC on the basis of principle and common sense. The principle ? ignored by Texas A&M ? stems from the agreements made last year between the remaining Big 12 teams after Colorado left for the Pac-12 and Nebraska bolted for the Big Ten. The common sense comes from knowing that the Big 12 still offers the most realistic path to the Bowl Championship Series title game."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M, meanwhile, will face a harsh reality on the field in the SEC, where it is light years from being competitive, and perhaps on the recruiting trail, where the local talent pool will be raided after recruiters from its new league are given an opening in Houston."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"It's a move based on ego"...."ATM has been living in the shadow of Texas for quite some time" "I think they (aggy) can hang in that middle part of the SEC, record wise"
Andy Katz 8/14/2011

There would be a change but not a huge one. Texas A&M would still have to recruit Texas and Oklahoma as much as ever and would still struggle landing those top recruits against the Longhorns and Sooners, especially without the lure for recruits of playing against the two Big 12 powers."
Mike Farrell 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M recruits primarily in the state of Texas and, while a move may help sway a couple of prospects who want to play in a different conference than they are used to seeing everyday, I don't think the effect will be too big in the state"
Brian Perroni 8/13/2011

"this is deep-seated envy"
Doug Gottlieb 8/13/2011

so let them leave- why would you want them to stay they are mediocre?

TheDOCTORdre
08-31-2011, 08:19 AM
UT should stop worrying about A&M, child please, its A&M that got its panties in a ruffle by worrying about UT and the LHN

BEAST
08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
For all the "we are so good at football" talk, tu has only 2 conference championships since 2000 (I know the aggies have none). Oklahoma has 7 in the same time period. It looks like tu should stop worrying about TAMU and start worrying about OU.

P.S. The opinions of a bunch of sip supporters carry no weight at Texas A&M.

TAMU might be making a mistake but at least we are not sitting back, doing nothing, hoping that everything turns out ok!

I agree. OU aint saying much bet theyll be eyeballing any good deal that comes their way. The 12 is falling like a house of cards. Texas will be independent. Other schools like TT & Baylor better firgure something out quick.

BEAST

BEAST
08-31-2011, 08:23 AM
UT should stop worrying about A&M, child please, its A&M that got its panties in a ruffle by worrying about UT and the LHN

And A&M is doing their own thing now. You Texas folks need to just shut up and let em. Yall got yalls, now A&M should get to get theirs.

BEAST

TheDOCTORdre
08-31-2011, 08:28 AM
I've had nothing to say about A&M going to the SEC except for do what you think you gotta do, but its ridiculous for A&M folks to say that UT should mind their own when this whole thing comes about from A&M worrying about what UT was doing

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 08:51 AM
I agree. OU aint saying much bet theyll be eyeballing any good deal that comes their way. The 12 is falling like a house of cards. Texas will be independent. Other schools like TT & Baylor better firgure something out quick.

BEAST

OU is not saying much because they want a network of their own http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/oklahoma-sooners/20110829-why-is-oklahoma-keeping-quiet-two-words-sooner-network.ece

If Texas is in a conference OU will be with them..both sides have said that many times.

trojandad
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM

BEAST

speaking as an old schooler, this is just karma coming back on the big 12....when arkansas left the sw conference the big 8 swept in and offered 4 sw conference schools to join....they werent just going to improve their conference, they split the sw conference in half so it had zero chance of springing back up as some other entity to infringe on their new found booty in texas.....they knew that uh under yoeman was better than 3/4 of the schools already in the big 8, tcu obviously could be rebuilt as shown today with a rich football heritage.....they werent plum picking, they were axing.....

well guess what? now, low and behold, a&m plays the roll of arkansas and now the big 12 sweats bb's for whats going on behind closed doors in other places and all the while if they had taken everyone in the old conference theyd have BOTH powerhouses texas and tcu in their folds....and probably a lot more motivation for a&m to stay.....i just think the big 12 is getting what they gave, i dont look at it as ut or a&m being the bad guys....but then i played in the sw conference and miss it terribly.....

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 08:59 AM
I've had nothing to say about A&M going to the SEC except for do what you think you gotta do, but its ridiculous for A&M folks to say that UT should mind their own when this whole thing comes about from A&M worrying about what UT was doing

But what UT has done not only affects A&M, but the Big 12 and virtually all of college football. It's not true for you to paint this as A&M being the only one worried about what UT has done. The media coverage of this has pretty dramatically changed over the last several weeks. I think since much of the country has had time to really look at this from many angles, the opinion has pretty dramatically turned negative toward UT.

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 09:02 AM
speaking as an old schooler, this is just karma coming back on the big 12....when arkansas left the sw conference the big 8 swept in and offered 4 sw conference schools to join....they werent just going to improve their conference, they split the sw conference in half so it had zero chance of springing back up as some other entity to infringe on their new found booty in texas.....they knew that uh under yoeman was better than 3/4 of the schools already in the big 8, tcu obviously could be rebuilt as shown today with a rich football heritage.....they werent plum picking, they were axing.....

well guess what? now, low and behold, a&m plays the roll of arkansas and now the big 12 sweats bb's for whats going on behind closed doors in other places and all the while if they had taken everyone in the old conference theyd have BOTH powerhouses texas and tcu in their folds....and probably a lot more motivation for a&m to stay.....i just think the big 12 is getting what they gave, i dont look at it as ut or a&m being the bad guys....but then i played in the sw conference and miss it terribly.....

I loved the SWC..grew up with it..but it would not last in todays TV deals..and I also dont think TCU would be anywhere close to what they are now if they would have went to the Big 12 at the beginning.

your right about the Big 8 though..and Nebraska was one of the schools pushing hard to get the likes of Texas to join..then complained about it because Texas and a&M did not want partial qualifers being allowed to play....also a real good friend of mine who worked in NU athletics for years has told me many times that the Texas upset of NU is one of the biggest reasons NU started hating Texas and always being on the other side of issues than Texas..seems pretty petty to me

trojandad
08-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I loved the SWC..grew up with it..but it would not last in todays TV deals..and I also dont think TCU would be anywhere close to what they are now if they would have went to the Big 12 at the beginning.

your right about the Big 8 though..and Nebraska was one of the schools pushing hard to get the likes of Texas to join..then complained about it because Texas and a&M did not want partial qualifers being allowed to play....also a real good friend of mine who worked in NU athletics for years has told me many times that the Texas upset of NU is one of the biggest reasons NU started hating Texas and always being on the other side of issues than Texas..seems pretty petty to me

oh your being kind in describing nebraska's reaction to that first loss....remember mild mannered devaney had to apologize for his remarks afterward at a sports dinner, it tore their soul out, the didnt believe texas could beat them anyhow, anyway....

but i do take exception with you on the sw conferences chances today, when i did my outdoor show years ago one of our ad consultants used to work for the sw conference and told me that before the big 8 offer there was a tv deal proposed (as best as could be done in the late 80's - early 90's) that had two teams coming in, lsu and byu....he said direct correspondence was made for two years, then the big 8 offer and ou said an immediate yes to the offer which spooked ut thinking that ou AND ark would be gone, so he said ut shut off his firms negotiation for their part on such.....anyway ive only had his input on that subject, he was in position as partner of a top 10 national ad firm so wondered why he would exagerate on it, so i always bought it as so but never read it anywhere else....

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 09:35 AM
oh your being kind in describing nebraska's reaction to that first loss....remember mild mannered devaney had to apologize for his remarks afterward at a sports dinner, it tore their soul out, the didnt believe texas could beat them anyhow, anyway....

but i do take exception with you on the sw conferences chances today, when i did my outdoor show years ago one of our ad consultants used to work for the sw conference and told me that before the big 8 offer there was a tv deal proposed (as best as could be done in the late 80's - early 90's) that had two teams coming in, lsu and byu....he said direct correspondence was made for two years, then the big 8 offer and ou said an immediate yes to the offer which spooked ut thinking that ou AND ark would be gone, so he said ut shut off his firms negotiation for their part on such.....anyway ive only had his input on that subject, he was in position as partner of a top 10 national ad firm so wondered why he would exagerate on it, so i always bought it as so but never read it anywhere else....

sorry..explain please what ur talking about LSU and BYU, i am not understanding what u mean...I know ESPN told the SWC that they would not deal with them because after Arky left they were a one state conference that at the time was down and would not generate ratings and sales...CBS told them the same thing.

trojandad
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
sorry..explain please what ur talking about LSU and BYU, i am not understanding what u mean...I know ESPN told the SWC that they would not deal with them because after Arky left they were a one state conference that at the time was down and would not generate ratings and sales...CBS told them the same thing.

his words were that for two years his firm was involved in putting a package together which included the sw conference minus arkansas plus lsu and byu, that obviously it took interaction between the lleagues merging as well as the rights being sold...according to him a guy named bud davis with lsu knew he was about to become chancellor at lsu and was in love with the idea of being part of a new league with texas, having had many roots there, so talks began even before he took office there....anyway it fell quick when ut said count them out.....he told this to me and three other smu alums having dinner years back.....as i said, ive read nothing else on it since, but he wasnt drinking.....oh, yea, he said abc was the dealing party, which no doubt meant espn....or else possibly a periodic insert into keith jacksons world....

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM
his words were that for two years his firm was involved in putting a package together which included the sw conference minus arkansas plus lsu and byu, that obviously it took interaction between the lleagues merging as well as the rights being sold...according to him a guy named bud davis with lsu knew he was about to become chancellor at lsu and was in love with the idea of being part of a new league with texas, having had many roots there, so talks began even before he took office there....anyway it fell quick when ut said count them out.....he told this to me and three other smu alums having dinner years back.....as i said, ive read nothing else on it since, but he wasnt drinking.....oh, yea, he said abc was the dealing party, which no doubt meant espn....or else possibly a periodic insert into keith jacksons world....

ahh ok unerstand now..as far as Davis..just because he wanted to be with Texas does not mean LSU would have made the move..I know the school and the alumni love the SEC, especially in that time era

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM
I think it's a bit disingenuous to think that folks only hate UT because they lost to them on the field.

UT has made enemies due to how they throw their weight around and ruled the conference with a heavy hand.

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I think it's a bit disingenuous to think that folks only hate UT because they lost to them on the field.

UT has made enemies due to how they throw their weight around and ruled the conference with a heavy hand.That is because the conference works like this....

Dodds doesn't call Beebe to ask what to do next for the conference.
Beebe calls Dodds to ask what to do next for the conference.

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
That is because the conference works like this....

Dodds doesn't call Beebe to ask what to do next for the conference.
Beebe calls Dodds to ask what to do next for the conference.

Yes, exactly!

trojandad
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
ahh ok unerstand now..as far as Davis..just because he wanted to be with Texas does not mean LSU would have made the move..I know the school and the alumni love the SEC, especially in that time era

of course not, but as chancellor, it wasnt like he was a mouse in the corner either.....anyway, it was a lost cause....people like earl and slingin sammy just deserved better....oh well....

trojandad
08-31-2011, 10:21 AM

UT has made enemies due to how they throw their weight around and ruled the conference with a heavy hand.

i completely agree, i was just saying at THAT luncheon devaney showed a side well hidden by nebraska movers and shakers simply from what was done on the field....its definitely not a one sided issue, for sure....

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes, exactly!So if you agree with those statements you shouldn't be mad at Texas but you should be mad at Beebe.

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 10:32 AM

people keep saying that..but where did UT throw their weight around?...they fought agianst partial qualifiers..but A&M was right there with them..so what issue did Texas tell the Big 12 how it would be?

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 11:02 AM
So if you agree with those statements you shouldn't be mad at Texas but you should be mad at Beebe.

I don't have any issue with the philosophy of maximizing their brand. To that point, I do not fault UT. What leaves a bad taste in people's mouth is how they go about it and the arrogance with which they impose their will.

I will agree that there are some sour grapes with A&M and OU. No one stopped them from doing the network. They probably should have. I think what shocked everyone was that the contract was $300 million. I think that's what really woke everyone up. I think the size of it shocked everyone and it became clear how much of an advantage this could be.

As to the way UT does things, there is a lot of history there for me to post here. I agree that A&M has some inferiority complex but that doesn't change the fact that UT has used it's power to push others around. Again, they have every right to do that, but you can't expect the other schools to not get tired of being bulllied. There are plenty of blogs and articles out there that list the reasons why Nebraska left. They got tired of being bullied and treated as 2nd class citizens.

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't have any issue with the philosophy of maximizing their brand. To that point, I do not fault UT. What leaves a bad taste in people's mouth is how they go about it and the arrogance with which they impose their will.

I will agree that there are some sour grapes with A&M and OU. No one stopped them from doing the network. They probably should have. I think what shocked everyone was that the contract was $300 million. I think that's what really woke everyone up. I think the size of it shocked everyone and it became clear how much of an advantage this could be.

As to the way UT does things, there is a lot of history there for me to post here. I agree that A&M has some inferiority complex but that doesn't change the fact that UT has used it's power to push others around. Again, they have every right to do that, but you can't expect the other schools to not get tired of being bulllied. There are plenty of blogs and articles out there that list the reasons why Nebraska left. They got tired of being bullied and treated as 2nd class citizens.

Nebraska left because they felt football favored the Big 12 south with the title game bieng played more and more in Texas..but the basketball tourney was being played more and more in big 12 north territory...and again NU never liked the partials being taken out of the mix..basically if NU would have been a basketball power like Kansas we prob would not have heard one complaint..but they felt slighted because the new Big 12 in 96 did not bow down to them and accept all their demands

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Nebraska left because they felt football favored the Big 12 south with the title game bieng played more and more in Texas..but the basketball tourney was being played more and more in big 12 north territory...and again NU never liked the partials being taken out of the mix..basically if NU would have been a basketball power like Kansas we prob would not have heard one complaint..but they felt slighted because the new Big 12 in 96 did not bow down to them and accept all their demands

Well, I'm no NU fan and don't follow them other than what I've read. Obviously, it depends on your perspective, but they would point your last sentence right back at UT as the ultimate reason they left.

Look, the stereotype or hyperbole (whatever you want to call it) that characterizes Beebe as a puppet of UT originated out of some truth. Maybe it's been made too much of, but you can't say the other members of the conference all just dreamed up that characterization.

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Well, I'm no NU fan and don't follow them other than what I've read. Obviously, it depends on your perspective, but they would point your last sentence right back at UT as the ultimate reason they left.

Look, the stereotype or hyperbole (whatever you want to call it) that characterizes Beebe as a puppet of UT originated out of some truth. Maybe it's been made too much of, but you can't say the other members of the conference all just dreamed up that characterization.

again..as I asked before..what point did Texas will this big ole stick that forced others to accept what they wanted?

I still believe the 96 upset of NU by Texas did more to destroy things than anything else..then add on the fact it seemed Texas always beat NU no matter the talent of the teams.

Love the discussion, this type of talk i fun

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 11:49 AM
again..as I asked before..what point did Texas will this big ole stick that forced others to accept what they wanted?

I still believe the 96 upset of NU by Texas did more to destroy things than anything else..then add on the fact it seemed Texas always beat NU no matter the talent of the teams.

Love the discussion, this type of talk i fun

I don't think NU would let one game destroy a huge partnership if both teams were making tons of money and things were more equitable. I think you put way too much emphasis on one game.

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't think NU would let one game destroy a huge partnership if both teams were making tons of money and things were more equitable. I think you put way too much emphasis on one game.

NU was making a ton of money..but their football program slipped once they got into Big 12( alot of that to do with fact poartial qualifiers were not allowed in Big 12)...like I said I am going off of what one person who worked for NU AD told me..that loss really really bothered them

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Here is an interesting point someone brought up on another board...

Take it for what it is worth but BYU has been dead silent and hasn't announced a thing but a certain 2012 opponent has announced some interesting info...

Why do you suppose Oregon State who had a 9/1/2012 game with BYU had to scramble to play Nicholls State?

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't doubt that BYU may be in the works. However, I'm not sure that saves the conference. I think OU's silence has been very telling. I think they have very quietly been exploring options. It's a much more sticky issue for OU than it is A&M because of their strong ties to Texas recruiting. If OU does find a landing spot, there's no way to save this thing.

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't doubt that BYU may be in the works. However, I'm not sure that saves the conference. I think OU's silence has been very telling. I think they have very quietly been exploring options. It's a much more sticky issue for OU than it is A&M because of their strong ties to Texas recruiting. If OU does find a landing spot, there's no way to save this thing.I think OU stays in the Big 12 because of Texas recruiting and not wanting to lose that pipeline. Plus OU wants there own network as well. BYU brings TV ratings in both football and basketball just look at what they pull in there big games yearly. Imagine that but on a more consistent basis with the matchups they will have. The Mormon following plus the TV markets up in Utah would not disappoint IMO.

^The stuff about Oklahoma aside from the Network stuff is my opinion.

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
I think OU stays in the Big 12 because of Texas recruiting and not wanting to lose that pipeline. Plus OU wants there own network as well. BYU brings TV ratings in both football and basketball just look at what they pull in there big games yearly. Imagine that but on a more consistent basis with the matchups they will have. The Mormon following plus the TV markets up in Utah would not disappoint IMO.

^The stuff about Oklahoma aside from the Network stuff is my opinion.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think OU would prefer for things to stay the way they are. I just have a hard time seeing it stick together, even with the Mormons. And if OU's powers that be would not be doing their job if they weren't at least making contingency plans.

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think OU would prefer for things to stay the way they are. I just have a hard time seeing it stick together, even with the Mormons. And if OU's powers that be would not be doing their job if they weren't at least making contingency plans.OU's contingency plan is with Texas because they do not want to lose that rivalry I think. They already lost a rival in Nebraska and OU thrives on its annual game in Dallas with Texas. I think these two institutions want to stay together because they see each other as equals. A&M saw themselves in the shadow of these two programs regarding the Big 12 and that is why they wanted out so bad.

RoyceTTU
08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
I think OU or anybody else can really care less about rivals for the most part. They are worried about TV revenue and to be in a conference that will get them to a BCS bowl.

Other than that, travel expenses, recruiting and then historic rivalries. JMHO

Old Tiger
08-31-2011, 02:07 PM
I think OU or anybody else can really care less about rivals for the most part. They are worried about TV revenue and to be in a conference that will get them to a BCS bowl.

Other than that, travel expenses, recruiting and then historic rivalries. JMHOSo A&M leaving makes the Big 12 not an AQ for BCS bowl? Big East will have 9 teams in 2012 and they are an AQ. I'd take the 9 team big 12 over the Big east any day of the week if you match teams up on tier.

RoyceTTU
08-31-2011, 02:26 PM
OU's contingency plan is with Texas because they do not want to lose that rivalry I think.

So A&M leaving makes the Big 12 not an AQ for BCS bowl? Big East will have 9 teams in 2012 and they are an AQ. I'd take the 9 team big 12 over the Big east any day of the week if you match teams up on tier.

I think your stretching my comment a bit. All I was saying is the rival part of the argument many have been throwing around is a very small factor into the bigger picture. And yes I agree Big XII-II-I is much better than big east.

NastySlot
08-31-2011, 03:24 PM
I think your stretching my comment a bit. All I was saying is the rival part of the argument many have been throwing around is a very small factor into the bigger picture. And yes I agree Big XII-II-I is much better than big east.

OU doesn't need to stay in conference to be successful in winning or recruiting............they recruited Texas when they were in the Big 8 and OU has Seven National Titles.....only one has come while in the Big 12..........................I'm thinking OU and others are exploring options.

as for the Red River Rivarly..............they have played for almost ever no matter conferences......isn't this Texas s real rival anyway....they ain't throwing it away if OU leaves.

RoyceTTU
08-31-2011, 03:49 PM
OU doesn't need to stay in conference to be successful in winning or recruiting............they recruited Texas when they were in the Big 8 and OU has Seven National Titles.....only one has come while in the Big 12..........................I'm thinking OU and others are exploring options.

as for the Red River Rivarly..............they have played for almost ever no matter conferences......isn't this Texas s real rival anyway....they ain't throwing it away if OU leaves.

Thats my point exactly. Where there rival is have very little bearing on what they do conference wise.
1. $$
2. AQ conference
3. Recruiting
4. Travel expense
5. Historic Rivalries

In that order of importance

Macarthur
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Thats my point exactly. Where there rival is have very little bearing on what they do conference wise.
1. $$
2. AQ conference
3. Recruiting
4. Travel expense
5. Historic Rivalries

In that order of importance

I might disagree with 4 & 5, but I think the first 3 are dead on.

trojandad
08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/08/neither-the-aggies-nor-longhorns-covered-themselves-in-glory-in-this-whole-deal/

at least justice cant be accused of only getting on to ut in this article, he hits the horns, the ags AND espn....

and i had no idea ut was taking the a&m game away if the ags moved....i bet the state legislature gets involved in that.....worst move dodds has possibly ever made, if it turns out to be so, that is....he really needs to rethink that one.....

RoyceTTU
08-31-2011, 04:23 PM
http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/08/neither-the-aggies-nor-longhorns-covered-themselves-in-glory-in-this-whole-deal/

at least justice cant be accused of only getting on to ut in this article, he hits the horns, the ags AND espn....

and i had no idea ut was taking the a&m game away if the ags moved....i bet the state legislature gets involved in that.....worst move dodds has possibly ever made, if it turns out to be so, that is....he really needs to rethink that one.....

I'm pretty sure the state legislature has done all it can do. If they had the clout to keep a scheduled game, they would of had the clout to keep A&M in the Big 12. What is frustrating, it ut can't won't even open up the PUF for review and take a&m out because they are worried their 2/3 would get diluted once Tech, SWT, NT, TCU all jump in and try to get a piece of the pie.

trojandad
08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the state legislature has done all it can do. If they had the clout to keep a scheduled game, they would of had the clout to keep A&M in the Big 12. What is frustrating, it ut can't won't even open up the PUF for review and take a&m out because they are worried their 2/3 would get diluted once Tech, SWT, NT, TCU all jump in and try to get a piece of the pie.

while i completely agree that they couldnt keep a&m from leaving, members can, and will if it comes to a pissing contest, make anyone in those two schools lives a complete hell if snubbed....dont doubt for a minute that dodds doesnt know his winky isnt the size of particular state officials...theyll show him if necessary, too....far too many ways they can hurt either institution behind ther scenes, not overtly......appropraitions primarily.....

BEAST
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
while i completely agree that they couldnt keep a&m from leaving, members can, and will if it comes to a pissing contest, make anyone in those two schools lives a complete hell if snubbed....dont doubt for a minute that dodds doesnt know his winky isnt the size of particular state officials...theyll show him if necessary, too....far too many ways they can hurt either institution behind ther scenes, not overtly......appropraitions primarily.....

When all is said and done, Ill bet you A&M get what they want, whatever that is. Im not refering to the move to the SEC. I think thats a done deal. Im talking about wether or not they continue to play Texas. The Ags, I believe, will hold a MAJOR trump card in about 1 year. IMO, they will have gone from having the Gov of Texas in their pocket to having the POTUS in their pocket. Hide and watch.

Also, if anybody really believes OU is just sitting around not paying attention, you are crazy. Remember it was OU and A&M that were looking to bolt to the SEC. Not saying that is where OU is going, but I seriously doubt this thing is over just yet. A&M is gone. OU will be next. When that happens, the Big 12-2-1 will crumble. UT got what it wanted. Now every other big boy college in the confrence will be forced to figure out a way to get what is best for them. You guys can blast A&M all you want. But, I think they are in the right. I also think you are going to see a recruiting trend start heading to College Station. SEC=NFL. BIG12-2-1 in the state its going to be in, not so much.

BEAST

Tejastrue
08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
When all is said and done, Ill bet you A&M get what they want, whatever that is. Im not refering to the move to the SEC. I think thats a done deal. Im talking about wether or not they continue to play Texas. The Ags, I believe, will hold a MAJOR trump card in about 1 year. IMO, they will have gone from having the Gov of Texas in their pocket to having the POTUS in their pocket. Hide and watch.

Also, if anybody really believes OU is just sitting around not paying attention, you are crazy. Remember it was OU and A&M that were looking to bolt to the SEC. Not saying that is where OU is going, but I seriously doubt this thing is over just yet. A&M is gone. OU will be next. When that happens, the Big 12-2-1 will crumble. UT got what it wanted. Now every other big boy college in the confrence will be forced to figure out a way to get what is best for them. You guys can blast A&M all you want. But, I think they are in the right. I also think you are going to see a recruiting trend start heading to College Station. SEC=NFL. BIG12-2-1 in the state its going to be in, not so much.

BEAST

Myself, I'd much rather see a home & home game each year with Notre Dame than to keep A&M on the schedule.

trojandad
08-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Myself, I'd much rather see a home & home game each year with Notre Dame than to keep A&M on the schedule.

might get your wish, but i doubt it, too many zachrys and williams's in the state still reveling in the rivalry and still being among the first two men legislatures go to each time they run for office..........

Txbroadcaster
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Texas and A&M will keep playing and I have heard nothing to dispute that...people are acting like UT folks are butt hurt over this move and again I have read nothing that says that..I think perplexed would be a better word to use..A&M just committed last year to the new big 12 and now all of a sudden they are wanting out. But when the dust settles and A&M has moved the game will continue

trojandad
08-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Texas and A&M will keep playing and I have heard nothing to dispute that...people are acting like UT folks are butt hurt over this move and again I have read nothing that says that..I think perplexed would be a better word to use..A&M just committed last year to the new big 12 and now all of a sudden they are wanting out. But when the dust settles and A&M has moved the game will continue

im with you, id REALLY love to see dodds at the press conference renouncing that game continuing.....

RoyceTTU
09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

BEAST

POTUS means absolutely 0 to the NCAA. Perry himself means 0 to the NCAA.
Heck even the current POTUS said he wanted to change the BCS and you see how far that went. I think Mark cuban made more strides than Obama did.:doh:
Only thing else I disagree is OU being next. It will be Mizzou.

But the rest seems good to me:2thumbsup

BEAST
09-01-2011, 08:06 AM
POTUS means absolutely 0 to the NCAA. Perry himself means 0 to the NCAA.
Heck even the current POTUS said he wanted to change the BCS and you see how far that went. I think Mark cuban made more strides than Obama did.:doh:
Only thing else I disagree is OU being next. It will be Mizzou.

But the rest seems good to me:2thumbsup

When I said OU I was refering to a team with som stroke. Not disrespecting Tech but I am not sure where they could go.

BEAST

RoyceTTU
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
When I said OU I was refering to a team with som stroke. Not disrespecting Tech but I am not sure where they could go.

BEAST

You and me both. I've been worried from the get-go because we don't have the footprint or alumni base that ut and atm have. Unfortunatly I think our fate lies in the hands of ut. If ut goes pac, we go with them. If they stay in big 12, we stay. If they go indy, we go to mwc. All in all it's the big suck right now.

NastySlot
09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
this article pretty much nails the villian and the problem with College Football.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Buck-Harvey-Lights-camera-villain-behind-2150414.php

RoyceTTU
09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm seeing more and more tweets and articles about ut,tech,ou,osu going to the pac.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/one-more-move-and-big-12-is-over-1809134.html?cxtype=rss_longhorns

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/24879/boomer-sooner-scott-to-hook-em-a-pac-16

Maybe it stems from the statesman article, but even Dodds has said he isn't ready to go indyhttp://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/noidea.gif

Txbroadcaster
09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm seeing more and more tweets and articles about ut,tech,ou,osu going to the pac.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/one-more-move-and-big-12-is-over-1809134.html?cxtype=rss_longhorns

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/24879/boomer-sooner-scott-to-hook-em-a-pac-16

Maybe it stems from the statesman article, but even Dodds has said he isn't ready to go indyhttp://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/noidea.gif

yea Pac is a good possibility..they can fold the Longhorn network into their system

another wild card i am hearing is Zona and Zona state to big 12.

trojandad
09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
yea Pac is a good possibility..they can fold the Longhorn network into their system

another wild card i am hearing is Zona and Zona state to big 12.

to me, that would only be marginally better than adding utep, the whole "sw conference not making it today" argument.....i know the numbers, but phoenix and neighbors are loosing population like crazy....vegas would make more sense to me, or maybe get vegas along with the zonas....who knows....

Old Tiger
09-01-2011, 03:31 PM

another wild card i am hearing is Zona and Zona state to big 12.If they could add Arizona and Arizona State with BYU that would make a pretty good conference for the Big 12

But as far as a Pac 16 this is my opinion...

I just don't think there is a need to go to 16 teams so quickly...slowly add the two others if it comes to that but until then I would go 14 at most for now.

Then here is what I suggest for the Pac 14

West
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State
Stanford
Cal
USC

East
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma
Texas
UCLA

USC/UCLA could have match up at end of year annually and all rivalries are intact.