PDA

View Full Version : Top Region I teams Next Year???

vet93
12-17-2002, 01:50 PM
What are your thoughts? Here are some teams that may be pretty good in no particular order:

Everman, Kennedale, Decatur, Greenwood, Monahans, Abilene Wylie, Vernon, Graham, Iowa Park, Ballinger, Sweetwater, Snyder

Others that may be good as well but have some question marks...Perryton, Clyde, Merkel, Comanche, Bridgeport, Canyon, Borger

Who have I missed? Have I included someone that might not be as good? Reasons that your team should be included.

DawgFan91
12-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Am I missing something with Burnet? I feel like they have to be favored in Division 1 next year. They were #2 this year and have some talent coming back. Not to mention they obviously have a great coach and when you have one of those, it tends to make a big difference.

DawgFan91
12-17-2002, 05:28 PM
My bad Vet. :confused: REGION 1!!!! Hey, long day at work and what I read is taking about a minute to register. My brain is on a seven second delay. Yeah, Burnet is Region 4, I know. But they are going to be good next year...lol.

vet93
12-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Don't worry about it DawgFan...I understand those long days...by the way...I am not from Region 4 but I agree with you 100%...Burnet has to be one of the favorites to take it all next year. Good luck and happy holidays!

DawgFan91:
My bad Vet. :confused: REGION 1!!!! Hey, long day at work and what I read is taking about a minute to register. My brain is on a seven second delay. Yeah, Burnet is Region 4, I know. But they are going to be good next year...lol.

wildstangs
12-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Greenwood, heck you cant go against these guys. Wilbur and company are playing for state this year and return a ton next year. My early early early pick to win Region 1.

Sweetwater, well, we definitely lost a big one this year. Our backup QB is very similar to Carrillo though. We have a host of good players on the defesne returning. Might not be as good as this year, but we will definitely be ok.

Wylie, coming off a bit of a down year. Must be nice when 3 losses is a down year for your team. Thats when you know you have a great program. I expect them to be pretty strong next year, the underclassmen will get some strength and Hugh is a brilliant man.

Dont know much about the rest, Bridgeport loses Daughretty, although it was proved he couldnt lead the team on his own. Everman is Everman, I am sure they will have a lot of potential. Snyder loses a great QB. I wonder what Monahans has coming back? They won 2 playoff games.

wildstangs
12-17-2002, 08:26 PM
Forgot a few. Ballinger returns Posey and some others. They look decent. Will this be the year they finally hold off Wylie?

Merkel - They are losing several great players. Injuries killed them and they blew a playoff shot in the last week of the season. Might be a tough go round for the Badgers.

Billy Boy
12-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Hey you forgot the Dallas Cowboys they should be in the top 20.

Da Mules
12-17-2002, 10:09 PM
The Cowboys won't be in anybody's top 20 until Smiley Jones bows out :D
Vet, I think my Mules are 2 years away...this year's freshman team was hell on wheels...there will be a ton of sophs on next year's squad, but not physically grown up enough; probably not quite ready for prime time.

Wtx_coach
12-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Hey VET, whats going on, well personally I dont think Perryton or Borger will be that tough next year, I know their record will be good , but the Panhandle will be very weak, and I really think Bridgeport wont be that good,oh yea neither will Merkel, all the other teams should be fine, later Vet

big daddy russ
12-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Billy Boy:
Hey you forgot the Dallas Cowboys they should be in the top 20.Only in six-man.

MASH4077
12-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Decatur has 6 offensive and 6 defensive starters returning including; Dane 2900 yds passing, Mckinney 1000 yds rushing,Christian 900 yds recieving.

VWG
12-20-2002, 03:30 PM
I like all of Vet93's top picks to return to the playoffs. Heck, with the Texas State playoff system the way it is it's hard for any team worth anything not to get in.
That said.. let's take a look at what we know.
Everman- they are a large school, have good athletes and return some players from this current team. They will be the number one contender in Region I again.
Wylie- pretty much the same as Everman. Large school, good athletes, and if I am not mistaken their JV and Frosh teams did well. Look for Wylie to reload and be a contender for a Region I title. The "x-factor" here is Coach Sandifer. He is a good coach and if he has the talent he can take a team a long way as he has proven in the past.
Sweetwater- the loss of Carillo and crew will hurt. What was their JV record? Questions will arise here as to who will take over. They have a great coach who will carry them to the playoffs next year, but the question will be can they get past bi-district.
Greenwood- they're playing for a state championship this weekend. This will give them momentum for next year as well as good experience for the kids they have coming back. They will have an invitation to the dance I'm sure.
Ballinger- as long as Posey is back the team should be fine. Not much is said here about the coaching staff down there but they do a wonderful job with the talent they have.
Graham- 19 straight district wins, 4 straight dist. championships, about 100 kids (soph. to senior) come out every year, and their coaching staff can't put a gameplan together worth a crap in the playoffs. Enough said. Graham has talent, if it can be utilized after the regular season. I would like to see what Kent Jackson or Hugh Sandifer could do with Graham's talent.
Iowa Park- good group returning, and good numbers in their program. Should have a good run at the playoffs next year.
Vernon- has to find a new QB and some meat up front to help their offense. Vernon still has the tradition and the Lions will be in the playoffs next year, but how long will they last?
Decatur- this offense next year will be scary. I like Decatur to be in the final 4 next year. (and I mean final 4 as in for all of 3A)
Kennedale- season ending playoff loss was a disapointment. Should reload, again a case of a good sized 3A school with a good program.
What happened to the class 4A drop downs that were supposed to make some 3A noise? Borger, Snyder, and Canyon. How do these teams look for next season? Anybody know what their JV and Frosh teams did? Were they hiding talent in their underclassmen ranks?
What about Lake Worth? Will they come back to the playoffs after a dismal year this year?
Can Bridgeport replace a superstar QB and get back in the playoffs? They will have a tough district race next year.

VWG
12-20-2002, 03:31 PM
I like all of Vet93's top picks to return to the playoffs. Heck, with the Texas State playoff system the way it is it's hard for any team worth anything not to get in.
That said.. let's take a look at what we know.
Everman- they are a large school, have good athletes and return some players from this current team. They will be the number one contender in Region I again.
Wylie- pretty much the same as Everman. Large school, good athletes, and if I am not mistaken their JV and Frosh teams did well. Look for Wylie to reload and be a contender for a Region I title. The "x-factor" here is Coach Sandifer. He is a good coach and if he has the talent he can take a team a long way as he has proven in the past.
Sweetwater- the loss of Carillo and crew will hurt. What was their JV record? Questions will arise here as to who will take over. They have a great coach who will carry them to the playoffs next year, but the question will be can they get past bi-district.
Greenwood- they're playing for a state championship this weekend. This will give them momentum for next year as well as good experience for the kids they have coming back. They will have an invitation to the dance I'm sure.
Ballinger- as long as Posey is back the team should be fine. Not much is said here about the coaching staff down there but they do a wonderful job with the talent they have.
Graham- 19 straight district wins, 4 straight dist. championships, about 100 kids (soph. to senior) come out every year, and their coaching staff can't put a gameplan together worth a crap in the playoffs. Enough said. Graham has talent, if it can be utilized after the regular season. I would like to see what Kent Jackson or Hugh Sandifer could do with Graham's talent.
Iowa Park- good group returning, and good numbers in their program. Should have a good run at the playoffs next year.
Vernon- has to find a new QB and some meat up front to help their offense. Vernon still has the tradition and the Lions will be in the playoffs next year, but how long will they last?
Decatur- this offense next year will be scary. I like Decatur to be in the final 4 next year. (and I mean final 4 as in for all of 3A)
Kennedale- season ending playoff loss was a disapointment. Should reload, again a case of a good sized 3A school with a good program.
What happened to the class 4A drop downs that were supposed to make some 3A noise? Borger, Snyder, and Canyon. How do these teams look for next season? Anybody know what their JV and Frosh teams did? Were they hiding talent in their underclassmen ranks?
What about Lake Worth? Will they come back to the playoffs after a dismal year this year?
Can Bridgeport replace a superstar QB and get back in the playoffs? They will have a tough district race next year.

Old Cardinal
12-20-2002, 08:15 PM
I have heard that if Pecos and Graham get football coaches they will be tough by Post Season. What's the status on their subvarsity records?

VWG
12-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Old Cardinal:
I have heard that if Pecos and Graham get football coaches they will be tough by Post Season. What's the status on their subvarsity records?Steers had a Frosh. team that went 10-0, and JV went 8-1-1. I believe their one loss was to Abilene Wylie JV.
I can't bust the Graham coaching staff too much. They do a good job at getting a lot of kids out every year, and their record over the past 5 to 6 years has been very, very respectable. The problem is in the postseason where the chicken bone gets caught in their throat every year. Graham doesn't seem to do anything in their offensive gameplan to mix up a defense. Don't get me wrong, I like the "dance with the one that brung ya'" style, but when your dance partner has a bad ankle look to keep dancin' with somebody else. Graham has size, a few good kids with speed, but their offense consists of about 20 total plays. Dive, Pitch, QB keep, or 3 to 4 pass routes. A limited offense can only take you so far.