PDA

View Full Version : Teams with A Distinct Mascot

bobcat4life
08-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I was flipping DCTF today and got to wondering who has a mascot that nobody else has, so I made a list. There were 86 teams (5A-6M, public and private) that did not share a mascot with anybody. Here they are:

Highland Park Scots
Deer Park Deer
Dumas Demons
Istaca Wampuscats
Hutto Hippos
El Paso Eastwood Troopers
Lubbock Westerners
Lubbock Monterey Plainsmen
El Paso El Dorado Aztecs
Mesquite Skeeters
Grand Prarie Gophers
South Garland Colonels
Beaumont West Brook Bruins
New Braunsfels Unicorns
Cigarron Toros
De Valle Conquistadores
Hereford Whitefaces
Amarillo Palo Duro Dons
Springtown Porcupine
West Mesquite Wranglers
Houston Sharpstown Apollos
Brazosport Exporters
El Campo Ricebirds
Texas City Stingarees
Austin Vandegrift Vipers
Kerrville Tivy Antlers
San Antonio Memorial Minutemen
Port Lavaca Calhoun Sandcrabs
Roscoe Plowboys
Mason Punchers
Pampa Harvesters
Lake Worth Bullfrogs
Fort Worth Polytechnic Parrots
Van Vandals
Diboll Lumberjacks
Groesbeck Goats
Fredricksburg Billies
Taylor Ducks
Crystal City Javelinas
Devine Warhorses
Cuero Gobblers
Poteet Aggies
Progreso Red Ants
Port Isabel Tarpons
Friona Chieftains
Crane Golden Cranes
Grandview Zebras
Cameron Yoe Yoemen
Little River Academy Bumblebees
Industrial Cobras
Universal City Randolph Ro-Hawks
Falfurias Jerseys
Spearman Lynx
Floydada Whirlwinds
Tom Bean Tomcats
San Antonio Brooks Bengals
San Saba Armadillos
Riviera Kaufer Seahawks
Santa Gertrudis Pride
Celeste Blue Devils
Somerville Yeguas
Winters Blizzards
Wellington Skyrockets
Shamrock Fighting Irish
Memphis Cyclones
Nazareth Swifts
Munday Moguls
Hamlin Pied Pipers
Rotan Yellowhammers
Frost Polar Bears
Rocksprings Angoras
Falls City Beavers
Santa Anna Mountaineers
Trent Gorillas
Jayton Jaybirds
Dallas Bishop Lynch Friars
Brownsville St. Joseph Bloodhounds
San Antonio Central Catholic Buttons
Victoria St. Joseph Flyers
Corpus Christi John Paul II Centurions
Houston Lutheran South Pioneers
Fort Worth Calvery Christian Conquerers
Bullard Brook Hill Guard
San Antonio St. Gerard Royals
Schertz John Paul II Guardians
Harligen Marine Military Leathernecks
Wichita Christian Stars
Marble Falls Faith Flames
Greenville Phoenix Charter Firebirds

OldNavy
08-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Texas City Stingarees:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Urolophidae, Crossback stingaree, (Urolophus cruciatus)
Scientific classification, Kingdom: Animalia, Phylum: Chordata
Class: Chondrichthyes, Subclass: Elasmobranchii, Order: Myliobatiformes, Family: Urolophidae
J. P. Müller & Henle, 1841

Genera

Trygonoptera J. P. Müller & Henle, 1841
Urolophus J. P. Müller & Henle, 1837

Urolophidae is a family of rays in the order Myliobatiformes, commonly known as stingarees or round stingrays; this family formerly included the genera Urobatis and Urotrygon of the Americas, which are presently recognized as forming their own family Urotrygonidae. Stingarees are found in the Indo-Pacific region, with the greatest diversity off Australia. They are sluggish, bottom-dwelling fish that have been recorded from shallow waters close to shore to deep waters over the upper continental slope. Measuring between 15–80 cm (5.9–31 in) long, these rays have oval to diamond-shaped pectoral fin discs and relatively short tails that terminate in leaf-shaped caudal fins, and may also have small dorsal fins and lateral skin folds. Most are smooth-skinned, and some have ornate dorsal color patterns.

Stingarees feed on or near the sea floor, consuming small invertebrates and occasionally bony fishes. They are aplacental viviparous, meaning that the embryos emerge from eggs inside the uterus, and are sustained to term first by yolk and later by maternally produced histotroph ("uterine milk"). As far is known, the gestation period lasts around a year and litter sizes tend to be small. Stingarees have one or two relatively large, venomous stinging spines on their tail for defense, with which they can inflict a painful wound on humans. Generally, stingarees have no economic value. Some species form a substantial component of the bycatch of commercial trawl fisheries.

Now you know. I didn't know!

Txbroadcaster
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
left out Gilmer Buckeye

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2011, 06:06 PM
On the other end of the spectrum....

District 5-3A probably has the most common of any district in the state. :nerd:

Mustangs
Bulldogs
Lions
Tigers
Steers

zebrablue2
08-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Interesting and thanks!

NastySlot
08-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Deer Park might be the only one where all the sports teams both male and female are the Deer...........but the female athletic teams at Comfort are the Deer and the male teams are the Bobcats...........odd.

Devine the male teams are the Warhorses and the female teams are the Arabians.

MustangFootball
08-28-2011, 06:51 PM
On the other end of the spectrum....

District 5-3A probably has the most common of any district in the state. :nerd:

Mustangs
Bulldogs
Lions
Tigers
Steers

sorry Sweetwater Red I think district 30-3A has yall beat on common names.

Mustangs
Panthers
Tigers
Pirates
Pirates
Pirates

we're so common we have 3 teams with the same mascot...LOL

poisoned10
08-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Gilmer and Ohio State are the only schools in the U.S. whose mascot is the Buckeyes.

poisoned10
08-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Cameron Yoe Yoemen

Ugh oh. The Cameron Police are about to beat down your door.

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2011, 08:43 PM
sorry Sweetwater Red I think district 30-3A has yall beat on common names.

Mustangs
Panthers
Tigers
Pirates
Pirates
Pirates

we're so common we have 3 teams with the same mascot...LOL

Maybe. But how many of those pirates are also known as modocs (sp?)? :thinking: :D

Sweetwater Red
08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Gilmer and Ohio State are the only schools in the U.S. whose mascot is the Buckeyes.

Yep, that's the university I'd want Sweetwater to have something in common with. :doh:

Yoe_09
08-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Ugh oh. The Cameron Police are about to beat down your door.

Indeed...better be on the lookout.

Tin Cup
08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Why is Gilmer the Buckeyes? Didn't know there were only two

poisoned10
08-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Yep, that's the university I'd want Sweetwater to have something in common with. :doh:

It stops at the mascot.

poisoned10
08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Why is Gilmer the Buckeyes? Didn't know there were only two

Buckeyes are nuts that were carried around because people thought they were good luck. Long story short, at a game in the 20's, some Gilmer fans told an opposing team's fans about it and they yelled out after the game, "See you next year you Buckeyes." and it just kinda stuck.

DavidWooderson
08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I've got some friends from Comfort....the story behind Bobcats and Deer is that the boys had been the Bobcats before the girls teams played for the school. The girls teams played in an area league and they used the nickname Deer because of all the deer down that way. SO when girls became part of school sponsored sports, they didn't to change who they were, so they kept the two mascots.

On another note, Bridgeport boys are the Bulls and the girls are the Sissies.

DavidWooderson
08-28-2011, 09:43 PM
I think 9-3A may be the only district with two BEARCATS in them, Pilot Point and Whitesboro....I may be wrong though.

bobcat4life
08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
I think 9-3A may be the only district with two BEARCATS in them, Pilot Point and Whitesboro....I may be wrong though.
I think I saw 2-3 districts with multiple Bearcats in them. Over half of the districts had either a Eagles or a Bulldogs mascot in it

bobcat4life
08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
left out Gilmer Buckeye
I find it interesting that there is only 1 Buckeye but 2 Sandies. (Amarillo and Grapeland)

SWMustang
08-28-2011, 10:16 PM
that's a big list. Did I overlook the Mules from Muleshoe?

coach
08-28-2011, 10:44 PM
what about the grosebeck goats....

and i think the itasca wompuscats are the only wompuscats in the nation

also someone was mentioning popular mascots.....eagles is pretty common

jdawg2012
08-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Weatherford Kangaroos...

jdawg2012
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM

I wouldn't mind being the Wompuscats. I think you could have some fun with it when it came to shirts and stuff.

M-town lobo fan
08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Celeste Blue Devils=Presidio Blue Devils...They are 3A but dropped their football program

buckeyebob
08-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Where is oldtownag...flash...he loves the Forney Gators more than the Carthage Bulldogs.

Roughneck93
08-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Back in the early 90's, when Columbia was still 4A, FSN (now FSSW) did a little piece on our "most unique mascots" in Texas district. I believe the high school show back then was called High School Xtra? Anyway they came down to each town and showed each mascot and talked a little about each school. Our district consisted of:

Columbia Roughnecks
Brazosport Exporters
Bay City Black Cats
El Campo Ricebirds
Port Lavaca Calhoun Sandcrabs
Wharton Tigers (odd team out in this district)

slpybear the bullfan
08-29-2011, 09:05 AM
I've got some friends from Comfort....the story behind Bobcats and Deer is that the boys had been the Bobcats before the girls teams played for the school. The girls teams played in an area league and they used the nickname Deer because of all the deer down that way. SO when girls became part of school sponsored sports, they didn't to change who they were, so they kept the two mascots.

On another note, Bridgeport boys are the Bulls and the girls are the Sissies.

yes sir! *tips cap and thanks you*

JJWalker
08-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I am partial to Beaver.

91 lion
08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Weatherford Kangaroos...

Kileen High School are also the Kangaroos....I always thought it was odd that we had 2 kangaroos on our schedule. We used to play both of them regularly when I was in high school.

GrTigers6
08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
What about the Coleman Bluecats?

pancho villa
08-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Very fun information in this post. Good job

DavidWooderson
08-29-2011, 12:11 PM

And you're wrong there.

Itasca, Atoka, OK, and Leesville, LA all have the Wampus Cat as their mascot and use the looks of a "Wildcat". Clark, Idaho is the Wampus Cats and use the look of a yellow cougar with a spiked ball on it's tail. Conway, Arkansas is also the Wampus Cats and use the figure of a mythical 6-legged cat.....an AAU organization out of Knoxville, TN also use the Wampus Cat as their team's mascot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampus_cat

jdawg2012
08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Kileen High School are also the Kangaroos....I always thought it was odd that we had 2 kangaroos on our schedule. We used to play both of them regularly when I was in high school.

Ohhh, I was not aware of this. Thank you. I looked for another one because I found it odd that it was not on the list but never found it. I have a family member who used to teach at Weatherford Junior High and she would always send me Kangaroo stuff. Most people thought it was fake.

NastySlot
08-29-2011, 07:41 PM
This one from California I always thought was pushing it............Tarbabes of Compton High School.

but the history is that the Compton College teams were know as the Tarters....and the H.S the baby Tartar Babies.

i read article about that one it also mentioned the Hereford Whitefaces.......article mentioned there was no connotations.

Tejastrue
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.nbc.com/Friday_Night_Lights/images/photos/mascots/13024_318120639457359ee24472.jpg

How many of you have one of these? :cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

Be_Advised
08-30-2011, 02:33 AM
What about Robstown Cotton Pickers? I seriously doubt that there is another HS with Cotton Pickers as a mascot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

poisoned10
08-30-2011, 02:35 AM
What about Robstown Cotton Pickers? I seriously doubt that there is another HS with Cotton Pickers as a mascot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's racist.

pancho villa
08-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Here is a good one.

Scottsdale Community College Artichokes

NastySlot
08-30-2011, 08:42 AM
check out this one...Yuma AZ.

http://www.yumahs.yumaunion.org/

jockcity33
08-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Ohhh, I was not aware of this. Thank you. I looked for another one because I found it odd that it was not on the list but never found it. I have a family member who used to teach at Weatherford Junior High and she would always send me Kangaroo stuff. Most people thought it was fake.

Kress, a small town north of Plainview, 6-man now, is also the Kangaroos.

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
i read article about that one it also mentioned the Hereford Whitefaces.......article mentioned there was no connotations.
LOL! Funny that they would mention that there are none. And there are absolutely none...

http://theora.com/images/Hereford%20Cow.jpg
^^^ That is a Hereford cow & her calf (aka "Whitefaces"). I guess I can thank my rancher/coach Daddy for that knowledge. (I still think it's silly they would mention it...)

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh, is there another "Maroons" besides Austin High?