PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem question

coach
08-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Does your high school team put their hand over their heart or on the shoulder of the person in front of them?

sTxforlife
08-27-2011, 11:35 PM
hand over their heart, never got why teams put their hands on the other guys shoulder

coach
08-27-2011, 11:37 PM
hand over their heart, never got why teams put their hands on the other guys shoulder

me neither...kinda disrespctful if you ask me

eagles_victory
08-27-2011, 11:38 PM
I knew someone would bite

jdawg2012
08-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Right hand on heart, left hand on shoulder of guy in front. Helmets are at their feet.

icu812
08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Its not the players its the fans that don't take their hat off or put a hand over their heart. This is especially true at major sporting events. When I see that I think that person is a piece of human debris. Went to a cowboy game last week and I'd say half of the people around me didnt.

coach
08-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Its not the players its the fans that don't take their hat off or put a hand over their heart. This is especially true at major sporting events. When I see that I think that person is a piece of human debris. Went to a cowboy game last week and I'd say half of the people around me didnt.

that bothers me too, but those are only a few in the crowd. With the players it;s the WHOLE TEAM! coaches need to start cracking down on this bc itlet's the kids think it's ok to do this.

1st and goal
08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
They hardly ever show it on NFL games, but it is pretty pathetic that some players almost act like it is NOT their national athem...

I think the shoulder thing is a way to keep the players somewhat focused at the time, yes, our team did it last year but I didn't make this years' game in time to see what they did. I was walking around the stadium to get to the visitors side missing the touchdown we scored on the 2nd play from scrimmage.

Johnny 5
08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
that bothers me too, but those are only a few in the crowd. With the players it;s the WHOLE TEAM! coaches need to start cracking down on this bc itlet's the kids think it's ok to do this.

The problem is that they can't crack down on it. The ACLU would be all over them.

I myself remove my hat and stand silently for the pledge and the National Anthem. But I do not put my hand over my heart.

buckeyebob
08-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Right hand on heart, left hand on shoulder of guy in front. Helmets are at their feet.

Same here....and I have reminded several over the years that the cap needs to go & the right hand over the heart and sing (I'm not very good).

Ranger Mom
08-28-2011, 04:40 PM
But I do not put my hand over my heart.

Out of curiosity, why not??

bobcat1
08-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Out of curiosity, why not?? What she asked.........

Johnny 5
08-28-2011, 07:12 PM
1.) Mark Twain said that reciting the Pledge was treason. He said it was equivalent to saying, "My Country, Right or Wrong" which he considered to be the worst form of treason. It is betraying our responsibility to speak out when we think our country is making a mistake. I refuse to promote nationalism, ESPECIALLY when that nationalism is doing so much wrong.

2.) Our country is hardly a republic anymore.

3.) Our country is not indivisible

4.) While we have a higher degree of liberty and justice than 99% of the world, we do not have liberty and justice for all.

And most importantly,

5.) My allegiance is with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Not with any man made constructs.

It may make me unpopular, and everyone may rag on me, that is my personal convictions.

bp80884
08-28-2011, 07:37 PM
1.) Mark Twain said that reciting the Pledge was treason. He said it was equivalent to saying, "My Country, Right or Wrong" which he considered to be the worst form of treason. It is betraying our responsibility to speak out when we think our country is making a mistake. I refuse to promote nationalism, ESPECIALLY when that nationalism is doing so much wrong.

It may make me unpopular, and everyone may rag on me, that is my personal convictions.

I would not call you unpopular, however I would your opinion unpopular. This country is a republic of the people, by the people. We are the greatest country in world that allows you to have that unpopular opinion. If we weren't as you stated you would not be able to display your choice as freely as you do.

For that liberty, you can do what you want. However, if you were a friend of mine I would tell you that I personally think your opinion is nuts. Again, we are in the greatest country in the world that allows me to have this popular opinion.

Either way, we are both right.

DavidWooderson
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
What drives me nuts is when teams that put their hands on the shoulder in front of them and then start banging on that persons shoulder pads the last verse of the song.

coach
08-28-2011, 10:40 PM
What drives me nuts is when teams that put their hands on the shoulder in front of them and then start banging on that persons shoulder pads the last verse of the song.

i completely agree.

johnny you are a weirdo

Tejastrue
08-28-2011, 11:31 PM

2.) Our country is hardly a republic anymore.

3.) Our country is not indivisible

4.) While we have a higher degree of liberty and justice than 99% of the world, we do not have liberty and justice for all.

And most importantly,

5.) My allegiance is with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Not with any man made constructs.

Funny you would use quotes from Mark Twain who basically mocked Christianity his whole adult life. Many believe him to have been an atheist. Just a thought....

Johnny 5
08-28-2011, 11:56 PM
i completely agree.

johnny you are a weirdo

I know. But just because something is popular, it does not make it right.

Funny you would use quotes from Mark Twain who basically mocked Christianity his whole adult life. Many believe him to have been an atheist. Just a thought....

IMO, every one has something you can glean from them. I may not agree with Twain's religious outlooks, but with this I do agree with him. I prefer not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I take what knowledge I can, from whomever it comes from.

;)