PDA

View Full Version : Glaring Thoughts

LionFan72
08-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Just looking across the sports page, the one thing that kinda astonished me this morning was the fact of not seeing too many shut outs across the state scoreboard. I guess the days of defensive football have given way to offensive scoring games. I personally still believe defense wins championships, but of course offense is a lot more entertaining!

With the 100 degree heat at kick off last night, I was proud to see that the kids dealt with the heat pretty well. Conditioning does pay off!

Just off the cuff without being specific, looks to be a more competative season with few standouts after the first game! Good luck to all for the remainder of the season, and stay hydrated!

Johnny 5
08-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Rio Hondo forced Robstown to turnover the ball more times than they got a 1st down.

I would say that that is a good defense.

Yes, Robstown scored 6, but it was not until halfway through the last quarter . . . and against RH's 2nd string, who played most of the second half.

;)

OldNavy
08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=LionFan72;1602027]Just looking across the sports page, the one thing that kinda astonished me this morning was the fact of not seeing too many shut outs across the state scoreboard. I guess the days of defensive football have given way to offensive scoring games. I personally still believe defense wins championships, but of course offense is a lot more entertaining!...QUOTE]

Is there a train of thought now, that loading up the offense with your best athletes and outscoring the opposition, is the way to go?

Rocket
08-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Is there a train of thought now, that loading up the offense with your best athletes and outscoring the opposition, is the way to go?

In 2008, Brownwood tried that. Didn't work too well... 3-7. We had the #1 Offense in the State and the worst defense in the state. I am now a firm believer that defense wins championships.

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Sweetwater shut out Vernon...

Doesn't mean much, lol.

Tin Cup
08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Sweetwater shut out Vernon...

Doesn't mean much, lol.

Unfortunately the Mustangs may be the ones getting shut out this week

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately the Mustangs may be the ones getting shut out this week

No way! Have you seen our new kicker? He can hit from 45-50, no shutout. LOL

GrTigers6
08-29-2011, 06:05 AM
yeah our game was far from a shut out, 89 points scored. lol
I think our defensive problem is not anough depth, and they wore out in the fourth. hopefully we can get some more players some experience and be able to play a full four quarters