PDA

View Full Version : More A&M SECede news

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Sounds like A&M has sent an official letter to Beebe that they are going to explore options and asked for the specifics on penalities for leaving.

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 02:01 PM
http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205247891&DB_OEM_ID=27300

Old Tiger
08-25-2011, 02:02 PM
28 mill

don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya....going to be fun seeing them go from average to bottom feeder.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Didn't we know this stuff already when they tried to join the SEC. Basically like a twitter post I read just said. The Aggies just changed its status from It's Complicated to single.

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Didn't we know this stuff already when they tried to join the SEC. Basically like a twitter post I read just said. The Aggies just changed its status from It's Complicated to single.

A bit more complicated but the same idea. What this did is allow the SEC to give a formal offer and not have to worry about tampering charges, from how I understand.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 02:07 PM
A bit more complicated but the same idea. What this did is allow the SEC to give a formal offer and not have to worry about tampering charges, from how I understand. That makes sense either way it is looking like so long Aggies.

ziggy29
08-25-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm more and more convinced that the future of major college football is four, 16-team "super conferences" with the four champions meeting in a "championship bracket" using the bowls as venues. That would keep the major bowls at least semi-relevant and provide the framework for a workable playoff system. They'd probably have to buy off the "have nots" in other conferences to avoid legal hassles.

For sure, the Pac 16, SEC and Big 10 (16) would be three of the survivors. Maybe the other would be comprised of pickings from the ACC, Big East, Big 12 and MWC. And it would force Notre Dame to join a conference once and for all.

Old Tiger
08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
IMO super conferences will be the death of college football.

ziggy29
08-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I think it's already dying in some sense. I think the super-conferences (especially the 4x16 concept) is the logical "follow the money" progression whether we like it or not. Let's face it, TV revenues, the pursuit of additional TV markets and the polling prestige that comes with the "right" conference is what 90% of this jockeying for position is all about; it killed the SWC, it's damaging the Big 12 and Big East and has placed the WAC on life support. For a sport that likes to market "tradition," they sure do a good job of destroying it by following the money.

BEAST
08-25-2011, 03:49 PM
I think it's already dying in some sense. I think the super-conferences (especially the 4x16 concept) is the logical "follow the money" progression whether we like it or not. Let's face it, TV revenues, the pursuit of additional TV markets and the polling prestige that comes with the "right" conference is what 90% of this jockeying for position is all about; it killed the SWC, it's damaging the Big 12 and Big East and has placed the WAC on life support. For a sport that likes to market "tradition," they sure do a good job of destroying it by following the money.

And so I ask you this, who/what is responsible for this?

BEAST

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
beebe

ziggy29
08-25-2011, 03:54 PM
And so I ask you this, who/what is responsible for this?
The Supreme Court, in 1984, when the NCAA lost control of the TV rights. That set everything in motion for creating permanent "haves" and "have nots" in the conferences which could now negotiate their own deals, and now we're seeing the next logical extension - teams which think they are bigger than their conference by seeking their own dedicated networks.

That decision effectively guaranteed that college football's economics would eventually become as lopsided and screwed up as MLB's.

BEAST
08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
The Supreme Court, in 1984, when the NCAA lost control of the TV rights. That set everything in motion for creating permanent "haves" and "have nots" in the conferences which could now negotiate their own deals, and now we're seeing the next logical extension - teams which think they are bigger than their conference by seeking their own dedicated networks.

That decision effectively guaranteed that college football's economics would eventually become as lopsided and screwed up as MLB's.

And so I ask you this, why is it that A&M, Nebraska, and the likes are catching all the grief when all they are doing is trying to cover their ass?

BEAST

ziggy29
08-25-2011, 04:09 PM
And so I ask you this, why is it that A&M, Nebraska, and the likes are catching all the grief when all they are doing is trying to cover their ass?
I don't know. I haven't been the one giving them grief, though.

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 04:10 PM

BEAST

Because Loftin looked at the other AD in the eye during the Big 12 meetings and said he is committed to making the conference work. Dosn't really look that great on him.

FWIW - i support A&M decision and UT's for that matter with the LHN. If Tech could do either, i'm sure they would.

BaseballUmp
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
How long until the MS Paint shows up?

Red Bull
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Nebraska and Colorado paid $9 MM last year so precedent is set for Ags. All of this has been worked out weeks, even months ago. SEC will make formal invite sometime soon when the timing is right legally and for most bang for their SEC buck.

Have fun with your network Longhorns.

NastySlot
08-25-2011, 07:32 PM

hate to say but I think I finally agree with you on something...............well there was that post a few weeks a hypocrites but that another topic.

NastySlot
08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Nebraska and Colorado paid $9 MM last year so precedent is set for Ags. All of this has been worked out weeks, even months ago. SEC will make formal invite sometime soon when the timing is right legally and for most bang for their SEC buck.

Have fun with your network Longhorns.

yeah i've heard rumors that the big time alums are opening up the checkbooks. Now may be a rumor but a guy in cs. told that the band travel budget was getting boost for a move to SEC...by alums also.

Buckeye1980
08-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Why 4 -16 team conferences that would be divided into 2 -8 team divisions? Make it 8 - 8 team conferences that could be more regionalized wth less travel, you could still have playoff system. Have a 10 game season with 7 conference games and 3 non, the winners would advance to 8 team "bracket" so eventual championship game particapants would play a total of 13 games, same as now

RoyceTTU
08-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Why 4 -16 team conferences that would be divided into 2 -8 team divisions? Make it 8 - 8 team conferences that could be more regionalized wth less travel, you could still have playoff system. Have a 10 game season with 7 conference games and 3 non, the winners would advance to 8 team "bracket" so eventual championship game particapants would play a total of 13 games, same as now

I agree with you 100% unfortunatly the money won't allow. The idea now is to spread out the regions to maximize the TV sets. The SEC wants in Texas to get some of the Texas Regional tv sets and for the regional recruiting. Other conferences want to do the same.

gold_33
08-26-2011, 10:31 AM

I agree, I think it will not only be the death of college football as it may be the death of the NCAA as well. The 4 super conferences could break away and start up their own league because they would have all the money and if all the major schools are in it then the rest of the college world would be irrelevant. Once that happens im sure it wouldnt be long before college kids are getting paid to play and that will be the beginning of the end for college football as we know it.

ziggy29
08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree, I think it will not only be the death of college football as it may be the death of the NCAA as well. The 4 super conferences could break away and start up their own league because they would have all the money and if all the major schools are in it then the rest of the college world would be irrelevant. Once that happens im sure it wouldnt be long before college kids are getting paid to play and that will be the beginning of the end for college football as we know it.
As I mentioned before, I think the beginning of the end occurred 27 years ago -- in the court system in 1984. Once the NCAA lost control of the TV contracts, college football economics started becoming as lopsided as baseball's. Since then it's all been about jockeying for position and conference jumping for more money, which is not good for a sport that markets "tradition".

Txbroadcaster
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I personally think a move to super conference will be awesome..will pave way for a play off and a true National title..I will take a better product over tradition

VWG
08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree with those that think the super conferences will take over. I think it will kill the "little guys" out there that used to have an outside shot at making a big bowl game.

Briles has made Baylor competitive, but they will be on the outside looking in.

NastySlot
08-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I personally think a move to super conference will be awesome..will pave way for a play off and a true National title..I will take a better product over tradition

wow you sound almost like an Aggie now.....or at least what they call the "New Army."

off the subject you working any games this weekend? Good luck and have good season.

LIONS#1
08-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Until there is a true playoff system 32 team/16team/whatever and doing away with the BCS all together then we will always be dealing with a flawed system that is only all about Money! These Super Conferences are just silly!! Congress may have to get involved to make a Fair System due to the greed for money!! It has went to far and needs to be reeled in. This dictator style system we now have isn't much better than the government of Iran IMHO.

Txbroadcaster
08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
wow you sound almost like an Aggie now.....or at least what they call the "New Army."

off the subject you working any games this weekend? Good luck and have good season.

HAHAHA well played

We will be in Hico tomorrow for all 5 games