PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 decline

Tejastrue
08-25-2011, 11:58 AM
It was commented on a particular chat last night that Region-4 stinks this year. What do the Downlow people think? Don't hold back!!

Txbroadcaster
08-25-2011, 12:21 PM
yes Region 4 is down..just how it goes in the cycle..a couple of years ago Region II was Celina and the dwarfs, now it might be the deepest

Sportshack
08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I thought that Region IV was a little down last year. Navarro was a 2A team the previous year and a really great season making it all the way to the Regional Finals against Wimberley. Wimberley and Navarro played each other in district and in the Regional finals. No disrepect intended to Navarro, but IMHO they did not have the horses to keep up with Wimberley, who was probably the least physically athletic of the 4 semi-finals teams. I was surprised that navarro was able to get to regional final game in their 1st year in 3A. They had a good scheme in that they were a slot T team that could also throw the ball. I think that the Slot T is tough to defend if you are not familiar with it and perhaps that helped them somewhat but I also think that Region IV as a whole was down. Cuero did not seem quite as fierce as the Cuero of old...lost to a good WHS team and then to Liberty Hill to start season. Went on a run from there but did not seem as dominating as years gone by. Still a quality team. Did not seem to be too many undefeated or one loss teams in Region IV playoff bracket last year. Burnet and LH went out early. Sweeny had 3 or 4 losses. Soooooo I would think that the region may not be as tough as some of the others.

Roughneck93
08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
It was commented on a particular chat last night that Region-4 stinks this year. What do the Downlow people think? Don't hold back!!It is down big time. D1 especially. Other than the Sinton game, Columbia's run last year through Region IV last year was not tough. I felt the winner of that game would be region champs. Too bad that game happened in the bi-district round. Not taking anything away from the 'Necks as I would take that any year.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
When has region 4 been up?

Sportshack
08-25-2011, 12:56 PM
When has region 4 been up?

2005 Wimberley State Champs, 2006 Liberty Hill State Champs, 2007 Liberty Hill State Champs I believe that Cuero has fared well in state playoffs over that same time period, Burnet 2002, 2003 state championship game finalist...to name a few. Championship games give some credence.

pirate4state
08-25-2011, 01:08 PM
2005 Wimberley State Champs, 2006 Liberty Hill State Champs, 2007 Liberty Hill State Champs I believe that Cuero has fared well in state playoffs over that same time period, Burnet 2002, 2003 state championship game finalist...to name a few. Championship games give some credence.

Liberty Hill was in Region III when they won those titles.

There have always been 2-5 really good teams in Region IV and the rest are below average.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 01:10 PM
2005 Wimberley State Champs, 2006 Liberty Hill State Champs, 2007 Liberty Hill State Champs I believe that Cuero has fared well in state playoffs over that same time period, Burnet 2002, 2003 state championship game finalist...to name a few. Championship games give some credence. LH was region 3 and Burnet made state that means they won 1 game outside of the region? Cuero has been region 3s whipping boy when they advanced out of the minor leagues of Region 4.

Saggy Aggie
08-25-2011, 01:35 PM
LH was region 3 and Burnet made state that means they won 1 game outside of the region? Cuero has been region 3s whipping boy when they advanced out of the minor leagues of Region 4.Example? They beat a Region 3 team when they played Wylie for the title a few years ago.

In 09, they lost on 4th and goal by like 2 points to Gilmer in arguably Gilmer's best year ever. They went on to destroy Wylie next week for the title. Obviously the 2 best teams in 3A that year played in the semis. I'm not making the argument that Region 4 as a whole can hang, because it cant. But Cuero does hold their own. Wimberley and Sinton can usually give the best teams in the state a good game. From time to time, someone like WC last year will come up and have a good team. As a whole, Region 4 sucks. There are only a few teams who have a chance. Cuero, however, is usually a top 10 team.

Matthew328
08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Region IV has never been as deep as the other regions....they've had a few good years..(2002 comes to mind when Burnet and Sinton hooked up the quarters and Bandera won it all) but this year its Columbia and Wimberley and everyone else...definite down year

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Example? They beat a Region 3 team when they played Wylie for the title a few years ago.

In 09, they lost on 4th and goal by like 2 points to Gilmer in arguably Gilmer's best year ever. They went on to destroy Wylie next week for the title. Obviously the 2 best teams in 3A that year played in the semis. I'm not making the argument that Region 4 as a whole can hang, because it cant. But Cuero does hold their own. Wimberley and Sinton can usually give the best teams in the state a good game. From time to time, someone like WC last year will come up and have a good team. As a whole, Region 4 sucks. There are only a few teams who have a chance. Cuero, however, is usually a top 10 team. 2005 Hutto, 2007 China Spring, 2008 Lavega. The last 2 were blow outs against teams that lost the next week and Hutto didn't win it either. They beat Palestine in 04 and have lost the next 4 times.

waterboy
08-25-2011, 01:46 PM
The only thing I can say about Region 4 is that ONE team will make it at least to the semifinals. Other than that, I can't say anything else.:) They'll have just as much a chance as anybody else that gets that far.

Saggy Aggie
08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
2005 Hutto, 2007 China Spring, 2008 Lavega. The last 2 were blow outs against teams that lost the next week and Hutto didn't win it either. They beat Palestine in 04 and have lost the next 4 times. okay so they won once, got blown out twice, and barely lost twice. Keep in mind, every team you've talked about.... That was the best season they've had in the last decade.

I'm not saying cuero wins every year, but they can and do hang tough even when matched up against the best teams in the state. Your 2 blowouts hardly constitute being a whipping child.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
okay so they won once, got blown out twice, and barely lost twice. Keep in mind, every team you've talked about.... That was the best season they've had in the last decade.

I'm not saying cuero wins every year, but they can and do hang tough even when matched up against the best teams in the state. Your 2 blowouts hardly constitute being a whipping child. 1 out of 5? Unless it is Fulton Reed in the Mighty Ducks 1 out of 5 isn't exactly good.

Phil C
08-25-2011, 02:06 PM
1 out of 5? Unless it is Fulton Reed in the Mighty Ducks 1 out of 5 isn't exactly good.

One thing you have to remember is that West Oso is in Region 4 and

BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!

Saggy Aggie
08-25-2011, 02:28 PM
1 out of 5? Unless it is Fulton Reed in the Mighty Ducks 1 out of 5 isn't exactly good.You said whipping child, correct? Is a 2 point loss the state champs considered a whipping? I never said they won. But getting whipped is a whole different story.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
40 percent of the games their s*** had footprints the next day.

Phil C
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
One thing you have to remember is that West Oso is in Region 4 and

BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!

The only reason Region 4 doesn not have more state championships is because they have to go through West Oso. Even though they may be able to barely beat West Oso they are in a Bear Fight and beat up so that the other Regions are not playing Region 4 teams at their full strengh.

:mad:

Saggy Aggie
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
40 percent of the games their s*** had footprints the next day.less than half of the time they play the best teams in 3A has to offer, they get beat badly. More than half of the time, they win or barely lose.

Yep, thats called getting whipped.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
1-4 is good?

Saggy Aggie
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
1-4 is good? I never made that claim.

But losing 2/5 badly is a being someone's whipping child? I guess if you consider only who advances then yes. But you're trying to make it seem like cuero isn't even competitive against reg 3 and that's just not true.

eagles_victory
08-25-2011, 04:39 PM
I never made that claim.

But losing 2/5 badly is a being someone's whipping child? I guess if you consider only who advances then yes. But you're trying to make it seem like cuero isn't even competitive against reg 3 and that's just not true. Nearly half the time they weren't

Rocket
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Is Wimberley in Region 4? If so, I can see that... I don't really pay attention to anything but Region 1.

Saggy Aggie
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Nearly half the time they weren't but more than half the time they were.

Im just saying cuero is a little better than you give them credit for. It's not like they destroy region 4 and just get their asses kicked in the semis year after year.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Sinton 2001 game against Region 3 didn't go to well for Region 3 rep., Bridge City. Sinton 38 Bridge City 0. 1990 Sinton played Crockett and lost 15-14 as Sinton missed a last second fg. Those are the only 2 times they've played past region final in last 21 years. Hmm seems like it's time for another Sinton run....