PDA

View Full Version : SMU wants to join Big 12

Phil C
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM
With the Aggies determined to leave this would give the Big 12 great incentive. It would give all the teams exposure in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. This would be critical if Oklahoma ever bolted. As I have posted SMU is starting to rise again as the effects of the Death Penalty are now wearing off. You have to remember they have had great teams in the past plus they have had a Heisman Trophy winner. They won the National Championship in College Football in 1935 and had some great teams in the 80s and in 1949 they almost beat National Champion Notre Dame even without its' star player. So they won't be the easy team as most believe but would be a formidable foe. Scary times indded!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/smu-wants-to-join-the-big-12/2011/08/25/gIQA8dyhdJ_blog.html

Old Tiger
08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Oklahoma wants to stay with Texas.

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I would rather have SMU than UH.

Txbroadcaster
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I would rather have SMU than UH.

I would rather have UH..with A&M leaving if they do the Houston market is wide open for A&M and LSU in the SEC..for the Big 12 to survive they have to get that market back..DFW is and will always be the market for where OU and Texas are playing

Also smu has had two nice seasons, but lets not pretend they are anywhere close to being able to play the likes of Texas, OU, TTech, OSU, Mizzou and even Baylor

Pendragon13
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah that 1935 National championship and that almost win over Notre Dame in 1949 should strike fear in the hearts of any Mustang opponents. :eek:

Seriously though, nothing against SMU, but they really wouldn't add anything to the conference as far as competition, tv markets or national status. They may be slowly weaning off life support in recent years, but the NCAA put them in semi-permanent ICU a long time ago.

Roughneck93
08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
I would rather have UH..with A&M leaving if they do the Houston market is wide open for A&M and LSU in the SEC..for the Big 12 to survive they have to get that market back..DFW is and will always be the market for where OU and Texas are playingAlso smu has had two nice seasons, but lets not pretend they are anywhere close to being able to play the likes of Texas, OU, TTech, OSU, Mizzou and even BaylorI agree. I would rather have UH join.

ziggy29
08-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Like it or not, UT owns pretty much *all* Texas media markets already (and would be even more pronounced in the Big 12 if A&M left). I don't know what an SMU or UH would add -- The Big 12 is already heavily in all Texas markets, and these days it's about getting more TV sets.

RoyceTTU
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Like it or not, UT owns pretty much *all* Texas media markets already (and would be even more pronounced in the Big 12 if A&M left). I don't know what an SMU or UH would add -- The Big 12 is already heavily in all Texas markets, and these days it's about getting more TV sets.

I agree with this more. I tthink Texas TV markets are heavily weighted by UT, A&M, TTU. A&M and TTU are way.....way....back there. And forget about even comparing Baylor.

Txbroadcaster
08-25-2011, 01:47 PM
yes Texas is in every market..but if u put A&M in the SEC with LSU then Houston becomes an EVEN bigger recruiting boon for LSU and other SEC teams..without an actual team in the Big 12 playing in Houston IMO even Texas would see a dent in their recuriting there...Houston of the big markets is one that is alot more closer down the line between UT/A&M fans compared to other big market areas in texas.