PDA

View Full Version : Two-way vs one-way players

Cam
08-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I know small schools have to play their best athletes both ways and have limitations on players available. But it would be interesting to know what the most successful teams do (like a Carthage for example). I know that Burnet will carry between 28 & 32 players on varsity and quite a few of them play both ways. And, they've always managed to be competitive for the most part. But I know some coaches, like Liberty Hill's Vance, doesn't like that and will try to use most players only one-way. And, he's proven to be successful by doing that. Recently, one of his former assistants told me a story about a game a few years back between Burnet & LH. Burnet was up at the half, but coach Vance told his players not to worry cause Burnet's two-way starters would wear down in the 2nd half. LH won that game in convincing fashion. I'm sure other factors came into play as well. Like making adjustments and such. I guess alot depends on how many good athletes a team has on a 32 man roster. But I also think some coaches are masters at using their full roster (regardless of talent level) and getting maximum results. What do ya'll think?

Old Tiger
08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
depends on how conditioned you keep your players.

Farmersfan
08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I agree that it pretty much depends on the productivity that a coach can get out of the available players. If the quality of a team doesn't significantly decline after replacing the two-way players with backups then there really isn't a reason to have two-way players. But as is normally the case, a coach plays certain players both ways because the quality of the overall team goes down significantly if that player isn't on the field. The best coaches I think are the ones that can measure the loss of productivity on both sides of the ball) because a player is playing both ways vs fresh players on the field even though they aren't quite as good. Is it better to have a single player be VERY GOOD and play both ways or have him be GREAT and play on offense only or defense only?

poisoned10
08-25-2011, 11:01 AM
With the exception of last year, this has been one of Gilmer's strengths. We will typically play about 40 kids during a game. You will never see the same 11 on the field for consecutive plays.

It really showed with the 2009 team. Our 2's and 3's were VERY strong that year so we had very few play both ways. And those that did, didn't have to play major rolls on both sides. Most of them had been on varsity contributing since they were sophomores. Last year, we didn't have much depth so we had several go both ways, including our QB. Normally, when we are running away from teams in the 4th, last year, teams were keeping up or passing us.

Tejastrue
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
:thinking: Trojandad.....

Rabid Cougar
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
There is always one or two players that will never come off the field for the simple reason that even going both ways they are head and shoulders above anything esle that a coach has. Its a cost/benefit trade off.
China Spring had 52 kids on varsity several years ago and I know there were two kids that never came off the field. There have not been any of those types since except for situational substitutions or in back up roles. CS still runs about 35 to 40 on the varsity.

Tin Cup
08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Injuries are huge for the 2-way starters

Pendragon13
08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Most 3A teams don't have the luxury of depth that allows one way starters across the board, even many 5A schools have a couple of two-way players. Coaches will always want their best athletes on the field regardless of offense or defense. The one exception is usually QB...don't want to risk losing your gunslinger.

Sportshack
08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
It has always been interesting to watch the Wimberley coaches over the years as they keep a steady stream of players moving in and out from play to play. I am not sure how they keep up with it. Impressive really. I assume to maximize talent and keep players fresh to the extent possible. Of course they had undersized D-line last year so probably wanted them fresh and quick, which they were. They try to minimize two way players but even when they use them they seem to platoon on one side of ball somewhat until later in season anyway. They will have 3 or so 2-way players this year and some other starters will get spot duty on the opposite side of ball in certain situations.

The LH example above is true but for about a 3 to 4 year stretch LH had really talented O-linemen (big, fast, and agile) and they simply played attrition football with the Slot T and it was something to see. They wore down teams only playing one way players.