PDA

View Full Version : New Rule Many are not talking about

Txbroadcaster
08-25-2011, 06:37 AM
To protect linebackers, new rules have been put in place to restrict how offensive players can block below the waist. The rules remain the same for any player in the tackle box or on the line. They can block below the waist in any direction. Players that are split out, including the tight end if he is not within the 7-yard limit of the tackle box, are restricted on how they can block below the waist. Those players can only block “north-south”, vertically from goal line to goal line, or back to the player’s “adjacent sideline”, which is the sideline he is closest to when the ball is snapped. This can get tricky when players go into motion past the snapper because their “adjacent sideline” changes.

to me this rule will have more of an impact that the new unsportsmanlike rule.

GrTigers6
08-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I agree and as a new official, it is gonna be a hard one to call at first. You have to pay attention to everyone on your side of the field. But also I believe that the tackle box has changed to 5 yards each way from the center. Not sure though that may be a ncaa rule and I just havent seen the High school Exception yet. I think it is a good rule even though I made my living blocking linebackers that way back in the day. I never went for the knees though, just a rolling body block.

BILLYFRED0000
08-25-2011, 07:26 AM
I agree. this rule is very hard to enforce too. formation changes make it difficult for the ref to keep up. I see this one being enforced all over the book and in some cases controversial. It is a nice attempt but confusing from an enforcement point of view.

DavidWooderson
08-25-2011, 02:12 PM
It'll affect Celina, that's all they do is cut block.

OldNavy
08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
It'll affect Celina, that's all they do is cut block.

If they do, they learned it from Pilot Point Coaches.

Old Tiger
08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Celina teaches the old cut n hold....if you don't knock em down grab their ankles and hold tight.