PDA

View Full Version : Belichick wants to eliminate extra point

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2011, 09:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bill-Belichick-wants-the-extra-point-to-die?urn=nfl-wp5693

I kinda agree

poisoned10
08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
I agree that they should move the EP back to the 20-25 yard line, but I don't like the idea of TD's being 7 points. And move the 2-point conversion back to the 5-yard line.

Emerson1
08-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I would be on board with having to go for 2 every time. Not just scoring then going to kickoff though. Will never happen though.

Pendragon13
08-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I guess I'm a traditionalist and would like to see rules as uniform as possible through all levels..high school, college and NFL. The extra point isn't a sure thing at the high school level, and I'm sure it's less than 99% even in the NFL. I feel that other rules (related to blocking the kick, running into the kicker) have contributed to a higher percentage in recent years...but it still isn't a sure thing.

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2011, 10:59 AM
I guess I'm a traditionalist and would like to see rules as uniform as possible through all levels..high school, college and NFL. .

u can keep extra point in lower levels..the 2 point play was in HS and College forever but not in the NFL until 94

Roughneck93
08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Belichik has a point. Would hate to see it go away, but I think you need some kind of PAT. Whether it's two points or moving the extra point back.

Pendragon13
08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
u can keep extra point in lower levels..the 2 point play was in HS and College forever but not in the NFL until 94I understand why some rules have to be different or modified at different levels of play, but I would like to see more consistency with the fundamentals of the game. I've never understood why high school defensive players aren't allowed to advance a recovered fumble, or dive for a catch and then get up and run if they weren't touched while down....or one foot down versus two for a sideline catch.

ziggy29
08-24-2011, 02:58 PM
As far as the author's opinion in this column concerning kickoffs and placing the ball on the 20, frankly I think the debate about sudden death OT could have probably been addressed by always starting the opening drive in OT from somewhere between the 15 and 20 yard lines. Until the kickoff was moved back to the 30 in 1994, there was little statistical evidence that winning the coin toss improved the chances of winning. But since 1994, the team winning the toss wins the game about 60% of the time. I think that's partially because of more accurate kickers making more field goals on opening drives, but also because the first possession sees much better field position on average. By simply always starting the opening drive on the 20 instead of the current situation where the average starting field position is around the 27, you'd eliminate much of the advantage of winning the coin toss.

eagles_victory
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I just think every team should have to have David Buheler as their kicker. XPS are never automatic with him.

trojandad
08-24-2011, 03:30 PM
u can keep extra point in lower levels..the 2 point play was in HS and College forever but not in the NFL until 94

the afl had the two point conversion in the 60's i remember for sure, i dont know when they made all conversions only one point, i think it was close to the merger time.....they just changed all conversions to one point until resuming the two pointer in '94.....

RoyceTTU
08-24-2011, 04:20 PM
just take away the holder if they want it to be tougher. Make everything a drop-kick that has to touch the ground before flight:eek:
Like the olden days:)