PDA

View Full Version : The Woodlands playing a team from Mexico?

Saggy Aggie
08-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Seriously?

And I'm thinking about going to the Klein (oak?) and a&m consol game on Friday. 2 ranked teams, right?

HEMOTOXIC
08-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Seriously?

And I'm thinking about going to the Klein (oak?) and a&m consol game on Friday. 2 ranked teams, right?

The Woodlands played Monterrey Tech, MX last year @ Woodforest. It wasn't much of a game though.

Matthew328
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Klein Oak-AMC should be a good game

JJWalker
08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
The Woodlands has a fairly significant Mexican population. Apparently The Woodlands advertizes in Mexico to attract potential residents. These are not illegal type of Mexican residents, but legal one's that can afford to escape the violence in Mexico.

Perhaps this is part of their marketing scheme?

DavidWooderson
08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Monterrey Tech plays teams from Texas all of the time, this isn't anything new

NastySlot
08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
The Woodlands has a fairly significant Mexican population. Apparently The Woodlands advertizes in Mexico to attract potential residents. These are not illegal type of Mexican residents, but legal one's that can afford to escape the violence in Mexico.

Perhaps this is part of their marketing scheme?

Those coming over that you mention also are investing in the U.S....buying land and building.

JJWalker
08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Those coming over that you mention also are investing in the U.S....buying land and building.

That is correct ... or my understanding. The Woodlands apparently has a clue how to keep its economy moving forward.

I believe The Woodlands is an actual corporation? So, perhaps this explains why The Woodlands has been so successful?

ronwx5x
08-24-2011, 12:15 PM
That is correct ... or my understanding. The Woodlands apparently has a clue how to keep its economy moving forward.

I believe The Woodlands is an actual corporation? So, perhaps this explains why The Woodlands has been so successful?

The Woodlands Operating Company is the the successor to Mitchell Energy, the company that originally started The Woodlands. TWOC owns a great deal of land that it sells in parcels for development, subject to land restrictions. It does not "own" The Woodlands, nor does it have any control once it sells the land.

I attended the Monterrey Tech game last year and I must say I was not impressed with the quality of play of their team. It is a private school in Monterrey and has played many Rio Grand Valley teams, usually much smaller than TWHS. They never gave up though. The Woodlands' star, Daniel Lasco, suffered a severe ankle sprain in that game and was out until well into district play. I'm not sure he was ever at full strength after that.

turbostud
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
3a Port Isabel used to whip Monterrey Tech. then it seems they moved on to other teams.

NastySlot
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
If im not mistaken...there are few Monterrey Tech teams....like the prep school, the College team and I believe there may also be a few from different locations that are part of the system.

JJWalker
08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
The Woodlands Operating Company is the the successor to Mitchell Energy, the company that originally started The Woodlands. TWOC owns a great deal of land that it sells in parcels for development, subject to land restrictions. It does not "own" The Woodlands, nor does it have any control once it sells the land.

I attended the Monterrey Tech game last year and I must say I was not impressed with the quality of play of their team. It is a private school in Monterrey and has played many Rio Grand Valley teams, usually much smaller than TWHS. They never gave up though. The Woodlands' star, Daniel Lasco, suffered a severe ankle sprain in that game and was out until well into district play. I'm not sure he was ever at full strength after that.

Interesting ... information. Thanks.

So where do the homeowner association dues go to? I have heard some people indicate that theirs are very expensive.

Just curious.

LH Panther Mom
08-24-2011, 05:41 PM
If im not mistaken...there are few Monterrey Tech teams....like the prep school, the College team and I believe there may also be a few from different locations that are part of the system.
Incarnate Word played the College team two seasons ago and WON! It was quite exciting as it was the Cardinals inaugural game (EVER) and Monterrey Tech hadn't lost a game in a quite some time. I want to say it was 2 1/2 years or something like that.

Emerson1
08-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Copperas Cove is on the tail end of a series with a team from Mexico. Beat them pretty bad last year.

ronwx5x
08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Interesting ... information. Thanks.

So where do the homeowner association dues go to? I have heard some people indicate that theirs are very expensive.

Just curious.

There are no longer any HOA fees. There is a special taxing district now that levies a 1 cent sales tax just like a city. HOA fees were never all that high anyway. They averaged about 50 cents per thousand, much the same as any other subdivision. I would never have moved from The Woodlands if my wife hadn't insisted we get closer to our daughter and her family (new granddaughter!). My HOA fee here in Cypress is almost exactly the same as what I paid when there were HOA fees in The Woodlands on a similarly priced home. Now MUD tax is a different matter. Ridiculously high and MUCH higher that what I paid in The Woodlands.