PDA

View Full Version : So long Wandy...

BaseballUmp
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Astros just got even worse. The Rockies are expected to pick him up off of waivers shortly

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Astros just got even worse. The Rockies are expected to pick him up off of waivers shortly Rockies, eh?

The Astros could always take him back....?

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Rockies, eh?

The Astros could always take him back....?

they could if the new owner wasnt dead set on turning them into the new royals.....

BaseballUmp
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Source: no momentum right now for a Wandy trade. Houston not especially motivated to move him. Still time, though, for talks...

Roughneck93
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Buster_ESPN Buster OlneySource: no momentum right now for a Wandy trade. Houston not especially motivated to move him. Still time, though, for talks...They have what, 48 hours to make a deal correct?

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
they could if the new owner wasnt dead set on turning them into the new royals..... LOL, I don't really think you have any idea what you're talking about. This has been in the works (rebuilding) long before the sale was made (which still isnt finalized). The new ownership has practically nothing to do with whats going on now. Hell, pretty sure all the current management will be gone once Crane takes over.

I think Crane is actually looking to do the opposite of whats going on now. He's said he wants to invest money into the team (not this season) and make them a perennial contender by building their farm. Astros are trying to add depth to their farm right now, which was ranked next to last in the majors before. If you had been paying attention lately, the Astros have gotten some good players to the big leagues lately and have been playing much better baseball now that when they had all those veterans. Just got off a decent 4 game winning streak.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
They have what, 48 hours to make a deal correct?72 i think

BaseballUmp
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player off waivers after three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded (to any team), or released outright.

Roughneck93
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
72 i thinkI think you're right. I'd be surprised if Colorado or any team would agree to take on his remaining salary.

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:24 PM
LOL, I don't really think you have any idea what you're talking about.

id be shocked if any of my responses had any other evaluation from you.....they ALWAYS play better ball at the end of the year when theyre out of it, thats their MO.....when they quit allowing 4 game streaks to be their measure and startevaluating their success by 4 seasons instead, theyll get a lot done.....

at least the royals have an excuse, they arent in the 4th largest city, they have very small population base to draw off of....the astros have mortgaged any growth by their contractual agreements already entered into.....mcnair has the better idea, come into the game with a ten year investment plan, not a ten year milking one....is why mcingvale didnt buy the astros back when mclain did, he couldnt handle the bad publicity if he sucked the stros like mr heb did....he told me that at the texas olympic dinner he sponsored in atlanta in 96.....thats how little i know.....

BaseballUmp
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Saggy is quite near sided on all issues with the Astros

ziggy29
08-23-2011, 03:28 PM
I feel bad for the new Sugar Land team coming online as an independent minor league team next season. I don't think they expected to have to compete with the Astros for local minor league baseball interest.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2011, 03:28 PM
LOL, I don't really think you have any idea what you're talking about. This has been in the works (rebuilding) long before the sale was made (which still isnt finalized). The new ownership has practically nothing to do with whats going on now. Hell, pretty sure all the current management will be gone once Crane takes over.

I think Crane is actually looking to do the opposite of whats going on now. He's said he wants to invest money into the team (not this season) and make them a perennial contender by building their farm. Astros are trying to add depth to their farm right now, which was ranked next to last in the majors before. If you had been paying attention lately, the Astros have gotten some good players to the big leagues lately and have been playing much better baseball now that when they had all those veterans. Just got off a decent 4 game winning streak. Wanted to reword what i said, so here it is...

LOL, I don't really think you have any idea what you're talking about. This has been in the works (rebuilding) long before the sale was made (which still isnt finalized). The new ownership has practically nothing to do with whats going on now. Hell, pretty sure all the current management will be gone once Crane takes over.

I think Crane is actually looking to do the opposite of whats going on now. He's said he wants to invest money into the team (in the form of scouting and player development, not free agency). Astros are trying to add depth to their farm right now, which was ranked next to last in the majors before. Spending (trying to win now) and not signing their draft picks and not developing their minor leagues is what got them in this position. If you had been paying attention lately, the Astros have finally gotten some good players to the big leagues and have been playing much better baseball now than when they had all those veterans. Just got off a decent 4 game winning streak.

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Saggy is quite near sided on all issues with the Astros

no doubt....astro fans are the only ones that can actually write down that they are on a nice 4 game win streak and not smirk when saying it....its that kind of fan mclain milked dry.....

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
I feel bad for the new Sugar Land team coming online as an independent minor league team next season. I don't think they expected to have to compete with the Astros for local minor league baseball interest.

<tongue in cheek>.....lol

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
id be shocked if any of my responses had any other evaluation from you.....they ALWAYS play better ball at the end of the year when theyre out of it, thats their MO.....when they quit allowing 4 game streaks to be their measure and startevaluating their success by 4 seasons instead, theyll get a lot done.....

at least the royals have an excuse, they arent in the 4th largest city, they have very small population base to draw off of....the astros have mortgaged any growth by their contractual agreements already entered into.....mcnair has the better idea, come into the game with a ten year investment plan, not a ten year milking one....is why mcingvale didnt buy the astros back when mclain did, he couldnt handle the bad publicity if he sucked the stros like mr heb did....he told me that at the texas olympic dinner he sponsored in atlanta in 96.....thats how little i know..... What does any of that have to do with how trading these players for minor league talent is Cranes way of making us the new Royals? At least you're second reponse was sort of intelligent, even though I'm not sure what the point was.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
no doubt....astro fans are the only ones that can actually write down that they are on a nice 4 game win streak and not smirk when saying it....its that kind of fan mclain milked dry..... The point was, they're as good or better now than they were before they traded for these minor leaguers. If anything, their win % has increased and keeping those players wouldnt have done them any good in the long run. Keep them so we can win 60 games instead of 55?

catgut
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Sad to say, but until the Astros get rid of Wade they'll never have anything. He's helped Philly more this year than the stros.

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Sad to say, but until the Astros get rid of Wade they'll never have anything. He's helped Philly more this year than the stros.

only THIS year?? he couldnt have invested more in the phillies the last few years if he chopped off his johnson and sent it to them....and yet astros fans continue to turn the turnstiles and pay his salary....talk about the blind paying the sighted?!? lol

ziggy29
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
The point was, they're as good or better now than they were before they traded for these minor leaguers. If anything, their win % has increased and keeping those players wouldnt have done them any good in the long run. Keep them so we can win 60 games instead of 55?
It's called "damage control" in the front office. I don't think the Astros front office has done a very good job of convincing many folks that they are really trying to build a young team of winners instead of just "going cheap" and becoming another KC or Pittsburgh. Yes, most teams not named the Yankees or Red Sox do occasionally do need to perform a "purge" of aging veterans once the window of opportunity to win big has closed -- and "reboot" with a core of promising young prospects -- and the Astros were in that position. But it seems to me that guys like Pence are the ones you want to build a young team around, not get rid of so you have a starting lineup where most baseball fans couldn't name more than a couple of marginal players in it.

trojandad
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
It's called "damage control" in the front office. I don't think the Astros front office has done a very good job of convincing many folks that they are really trying to build a young team of winners instead of just "going cheap" and becoming another KC or Pittsburgh. Yes, most teams not named the Yankees or Red Sox do occasionally do need to perform a "purge" of aging veterans once the window of opportunity to win big has closed -- and "reboot" with a core of promising young prospects -- and the Astros were in that position. But it seems to me that guys like Pence are the ones you want to build a young team around, not get rid of so you have a starting lineup where most baseball fans couldn't name more than a couple of marginal players in it.

perfectly put....nobody wants a team that is only followed by saps, not fans.....of course the farm team course is the best way to grow a team, but when mclain had already made the investment in pettitte, clemens, etc and went to the series for the first time he should have continued to invest since that was the course he took....instead, he started looking for a buyer THAT year and milked that team like a bad cow for the most tickets he possibly could in the years following...most people are able to see that and stay away but, for some reason, the astros have this core of people that would attend (and invest, draytons words) if they fielded the sugarland little league team....

Tejastrue
08-23-2011, 08:14 PM
:clap:Thank God for Nolan Ryan.:clap: