PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW: Wimberley vs Cuero

gold_33
08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Texans vs Gobblers this friday 7:30pm in Wimberley to start the season. Texans took the Gobblers down twice last season but you can always count on Cuero being a tough opponent and it being a great game, like to know some thoughts and predictions??

hookandladder
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Texans vs Gobblers this friday 7:30pm in Wimberley to start the season. Texans took the Gobblers down twice last season but you can always count on Cuero being a tough opponent and it being a great game, like to know some thoughts and predictions??

Without Trent Jackson , it will be a long night for Cuero. Cuero I'm sure will be fine in their District but will be hard for them to compete against a talented Texan team, Wimberley by a few TD's. I was surprised at our scrimmage with Cuero, it looked like they may have had 30 Varsity players, also JV was pretty weak.

trojandad
08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Without Trent Jackson , it will be a long night for Cuero. Cuero I'm sure will be fine in their District but will be hard for them to compete against a talented Texan team, Wimberley by a few TD's. I was surprised at our scrimmage with Cuero, it looked like they may have had 30 Varsity players, also JV was pretty weak.

thats our usual amount of varsity players each year....were just THAT small.....

hookandladder
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
thats our usual amount of varsity players each year....were just THAT small.....

So do you have a number of kids playing both ways.

Tejastrue
08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
:hijacktd: :D

R4Editor
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
This game is the Region IV Week 0 GOTW

ol country boy
08-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Texans with their RB and Gobblers without theirs.....going with Texans

XtremeCouture
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM

no cuero used to have quite a few players on the sideline. it's gotten worse since they started CYFL in cuero. i think kids are getting burnt out on football at a younger age simply because they are tired of being yelled at by adults. I don't blame them. football is taken way too seriously in that town.

Tejastrue
08-22-2011, 09:11 PM

More like 40, TD. Unless Max Preps roster list is wrong you guys suited 39, Cuero 40 and Wimberley a grand total of 37. If you are familiar with all the players maybe you can confirm this. 9 more is a big difference. I think we lost that many from injuries.

Based on what happened last year and how Wilson carried the brunt of the load for us at RB it would not surprise me to see someone step up for the Gobblers. They are always a threat and have an axe to grind. They'd love nothing more than to come here and pay us back after we went into their house last year and ended the home streak they had going, not to mention their season at region. It will be a good measuring stick as to where our O/L is. I still think we'll win but they'll keep it close as usual.

gold_33
08-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I agree I think we'll win and its gonna be closer then people think. There's gonna be some first game mistakes and I can guarantee Cuero will be good, even if its a supposed down year they are still better than a lot of teams and will be big strong and fast as always. This has turned into a semi-rivalry with us and them matching up so many years in the playoffs so I know they'll bring their A-game as always. Looking forward to a great, injury free game and a great way to start the 2011 season!!

hookandladder
08-23-2011, 10:20 AM
I agree I think we'll win and its gonna be closer then people think. There's gonna be some first game mistakes and I can guarantee Cuero will be good, even if its a supposed down year they are still better than a lot of teams and will be big strong and fast as always. This has turned into a semi-rivalry with us and them matching up so many years in the playoffs so I know they'll bring their A-game as always. Looking forward to a great, injury free game and a great way to start the 2011 season!!

Rivalry or not , If Cuero stays in this game til the end then someone is over rated. Wimberley by 3 Td's.

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
More like 40, TD. Unless Max Preps roster list is wrong you guys suited 39, Cuero 40 and Wimberley a grand total of 37. If you are familiar with all the players maybe you can confirm this. 9 more is a big difference. I think we lost that many from injuries.

its like i said elsewhere, big guy, we suit that many by bringing up warm bodies that are never intended to play from jv, leaving us to play almost all freshmen on jv with no separate freshman team.....thats the only reason we can suit that many, so that we dont have to forfeit games we begin should injuries occur....

Blue42
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Rivalry or not , If Cuero stays in this game til the end then someone is over rated. Wimberley by 3 Td's.

Or maybe someone is underrated.

trojandad
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM

it should be fun to see which is which....dont feel bad, tho, were being picked only a 1 td favorite by some, and kirbyville lost everything but their head cheerleader from last year.....good luck to both sides.....

hookandladder
08-23-2011, 03:47 PM

I would like to agree but I find that very unlikely.

Tejastrue
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM

I think HnL has based his comment on a scrimmage. Cuero is still Cuero.

44INAROW
08-23-2011, 04:06 PM
thanks for the respect :) Cuero has a brutal pre-season.. That which does not kill you, makes you stronger :) Losing a RB, who was/is the caliber of the one we lost, is obviously a big loss to a team but I trust Coach Owens and his crew will get the team prepared for battle. GO MEAN GREEN !!

gold_33
08-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I would love to see us win by 3tds but I know Cuero and have lots of respect for them and they will put up a fight guaranteed. I could careless how we are rated or ranked at the start of the season all that matters is how you finish. 1st games can usually be sloppy and can cause games to be closer then they should be but its about getting better by the end of season and with a new line its gonna be a good testing point for those guys to see where they are and where they need to be.

Sportshack
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I think that it will be an interesting game. I saw on separate thread that Cuero has physciality on both o-line and d-line. Would not expect WHS O-line to be as salty as group last year just yet. Also Cuero scored a bunch of points in both games. They just got outscored by a potent offense in 2 games. However, their fans seem concerned about their skills players. I think ultimately that WHS takes the game on the backs of their really talented corp of skills players. They just have some special kids that are fiercely competitive and they got great experience last year. Still...not willing to discount that Cuero will be a dangerous and determined opponent. Whs is also a hard time to read.

forum_guy
08-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Cuero hired a former Edna coach. That's a joke in itself. Cuero is on the down and will get rolled by wimberley.

XtremeCouture
08-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Cuero hired a former Edna coach. That's a joke in itself. Cuero is on the down and will get rolled by wimberley.

I agree. The team is almost starting from scratch for the second straight year. Plus the politics that drove Reeve out because he didn't win state every year will drive out this coach when he struggles to make the playoffs.

KingRob
08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
I agree. The team is almost starting from scratch for the second straight year. Plus the politics that drove Reeve out because he didn't win state every year will drive out this coach when he struggles to make the playoffs.

Don't be too hard and so quick to judge these young Gobblers. We'll just have to wait and see.

Let's Go Cuero!!!:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

BigGreen61
08-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Don't be too hard and so quick to judge these young Gobblers. We'll just have to wait and see.

Let's Go Cuero!!!:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

Thanks KR. When u have tradition VS talent it's going to be a rumble in the hill country. we will win the battle up front.

ogg
08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/assets/2011-Preseason-playoff-picks/Travis/Travis-3A-DII.pdf

I would love to see these playoff games. LOL.

hookandladder
08-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Yes your are correct about what I saw at our scrimmage, Cuero has a couple big boys on the OL but were not very impressive. I based my opinion on what talent I saw on the field, the QB and running backs were not very impressive at all and yes if Trent was back there it would be totally different. The Varisty lacked numbers and the JV team was very weak as well, also could not beleive how few Cuero fans were at the scrimmage. In years past there side of the stands were almost full just for a scrimmage, not knocking Cuero football just stating this team is no where near what most Cuero teams usually are, I still feel like in the District that they are in they will make the playoffs.

Tejastrue
08-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes your are correct about what I saw at our scrimmage, Cuero has a couple big boys on the OL but were not very impressive. I based my opinion on what talent I saw on the field, the QB and running backs were not very impressive at all and yes if Trent was back there it would be totally different. The Varisty lacked numbers and the JV team was very weak as well, also could not beleive how few Cuero fans were at the scrimmage. In years past there side of the stands were almost full just for a scrimmage, not knocking Cuero football just stating this team is no where near what most Cuero teams usually are, I still feel like in the District that they are in they will make the playoffs.

I just have difficulty using scrimmages to predict the outcome of a season or for a single game that counts. Especially one between our two teams. I also have an appreciation for what they are going through because we've dealt with the public ridicule and sharp criticism regarding a similar situation with losing a star player, not to mention the distraction. I think it's definitely too early to be writing them off as some have done here. With a community such as Cuero, with all the tradition and success, I can't begin to comprehend the responsibility coach Owens carries with him on a daily basis. It's a heavy load and one the whole community should embrace and share.

hookandladder
08-24-2011, 02:45 PM
I just have difficulty using scrimmages to predict the outcome of a season or for a single game that counts. Especially one between our two teams. I also have an appreciation for what they are going through because we've dealt with the public ridicule and sharp criticism regarding a similar situation with losing a star player, not to mention the distraction. I think it's definitely too early to be writing them off as some have done here. With a community such as Cuero, with all the tradition and success, I can't begin to comprehend the responsibility coach Owens carries with him on a daily basis. It's a heavy load and one the whole community should embrace and share.

I am not counting Cuero out, just saying they are not talent wise at their normal level. They will compete , I just do not think they will be able to hang with your top level teams like Wimberley.

Tejastrue
08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I am not counting Cuero out, just saying they are not talent wise at their normal level. They will compete , I just do not think they will be able to hang with your top level teams like Wimberley. Understood. Appreciate your thoughts as to where you feel we are at. I will say if last year was any indication, less talented or not, Cuero will compete hard and fight tooth and nail to the end. On another note, good luck to La Grange this year.:thumbsup:

hookandladder
08-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Understood. Appreciate your thoughts as to where you feel we are at. I will say if last year was any indication, less talented or not, Cuero will compete hard and fight tooth and nail to the end. On another note, good luck to La Grange this year.:thumbsup:

Same to you guy's, We will be a work in progress with our youth however come District I feel we will be ready. Also , I am amazed at how dead this message board is for this time of the year, what's going on.

NewSherriff
08-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Hook and Ladder, You need to move to Yoakum and embrace their tradition. Not very loyal to your team at all!! Every program goes through rebuilding stages....especially after losing the players Cuero has. Whether that be to graduation or to off the field problems. I hear there are 60+ kids in every class from the 9th grade down. It will definitely be back up in the near future. This is a very young team with a small senior class, but they will compete as Cuero always does. Support your team or move on down the road and see how they match up with the gobblers. What Cuero does in the pre-season regardless will be good for them. This is one of the toughest pre-season schedules in the state.

gold_33
08-25-2011, 12:22 PM
No joke, a big game in week 0 between Wimberley and Cuero and its only got 2 pages on thursday what gives??

forum_guy
08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
No star rb for cuero no thread. Its pretty simple. No one in cuero has anything to be excited about this year. Oh wait or should there be excitement about the Edna coach who couldn't win a game lol

1stnurseryman
08-25-2011, 04:01 PM
This is not the place to bash a coach. If u don't think they're any good that's ur right. However take it up with the AD not on a site were ur hiding behind a name. JMHO

Tejastrue
08-25-2011, 04:07 PM
http://cuerorecord.com/index.asp?Story=3112

44INAROW
08-25-2011, 06:22 PM
This is not the place to bash a coach. If u don't think they're any good that's ur right. However take it up with the AD not on a site were ur hiding behind a name. JMHO
just ignore him - that's what I do..

gobbler grad
08-25-2011, 08:30 PM
everyone travel safe...play without injury...and return home safe...good luck to both teams.

Old Green
08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Just got home from the freshman - JV game.

Wimberley freshman defeated the Cuero Freshman 28 - 18.

At halftime Wimberley JV was ahead 18 - 7.

HSFB
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
http://cuerorecord.com/index.asp?Story=3112

Thanks for the link......the quotes (below) from the Cuero coach points to Cuero trying to control/run the clock with a power ground attack. Makes sense due to the OL being one of their team strengths. It will be an early test for the Wimberley DL.

“They have a very talented team,” Cuero head coach Rick Owens said. “We have to control the ball and make stops on defense.”

Owens said the Gobblers plan to keep it simple on offense. He would like to be able to control the clock with long drives to keep the explosive Texans offense on the sideline.

Sportshack
08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the link......the quotes (below) from the Cuero coach points to Cuero trying to control/run the clock with a power ground attack. Makes sense due to the OL being one of their team strengths. It will be an early test for the Wimberley DL.

“They have a very talented team,” Cuero head coach Rick Owens said. “We have to control the ball and make stops on defense.”

Owens said the Gobblers plan to keep it simple on offense. He would like to be able to control the clock with long drives to keep the explosive Texans offense on the sideline.

My guess is that Cuero better be able to throw the ball. The WHS front 7 or 8 depending on formation should be pretty salty with a lot of experience and quickness. I am assuming Alana will play at ILB.

gold_33
08-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Game day, cant wait for some friday night lights. Good luck and safe travels for Cuero and their fans and for an injury free game!! Talk is over, time for some football!!

HSFB
08-26-2011, 11:01 AM
My guess is that Cuero better be able to throw the ball. The WHS front 7 or 8 depending on formation should be pretty salty with a lot of experience and quickness. I am assuming Alana will play at ILB.

I agree that Cuero will have to have some quick hits in the passing game to sustain drives. After playing us twice last year, Cuero should have a good idea of how to attack the D so it will be interesting.

One interesting fact is that we do have a bunch of returners but just from a rough count on Defense we have many players starting or starting at new positions form where we closed last season. This includes all four DL spots, 2 lb spots, Safety and one CB.

On the run game, I'm thinking that the DL will try to take out as many OL as they can leaving the LB's clean to make the plays.

Damn, I love this stuff and cannot believe that we will be kicking off this evening.

Gone Fishing
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree that Cuero will have to have some quick hits in the passing game to sustain drives. After playing us twice last year, Cuero should have a good idea of how to attack the D so it will be interesting.

One interesting fact is that we do have a bunch of returners but just from a rough count on Defense we have many players starting or starting at new positions fo

where we closed last season. This includes all four DL spots, 2 lb spots, Safety and one CB.

On the run game, I'm thinking that the DL will try to take out as many OL as they can leaving the LB's clean to make the plays.

Damn, I love this stuff and cannot believe that we will be kicking off this evening.

Is there a game tonight? LOL
Can't believe its HS football time either, seems like it took for ever. Should be one of the most "Packed Houses" of 3A Week 0 in the state. Is it 5:30 yet?

TexanAlum_06
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM

The level of respect between programs, coaches, players and fans alike is, in my opinion, what makes our regular showdowns with Cuero such a great time. If you want to classify it as a rivalry it has to be one of the most respectful ones out there. Hope everybody has a safe journey and I pray for an injury free game for both teams.

Texans 28-17

lbjacj
08-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Not to sure about getting rolled. Our matchups have always been down to the wire close except the first two times we met after moving up from 2A. My oldest son had the misfortune of playing those years after they had been so successful the previous year.
Some of my friends from Cuero are not even coming to the game and I can't ever remember them missing ANY game much less one of this caliber! They have excuses but...
Doesn't show much confidence.

Tejastrue
08-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Not to sure about getting rolled. Our matchups have always been down to the wire close except the first two times we met after moving up from 2A. My oldest son had the misfortune of playing those years after they had been so successful the previous year.
Some of my friends from Cuero are not even coming to the game and I can't ever remember them missing ANY game much less one of this caliber! They have excuses but...
Doesn't show much confidence. This may sound silly to some but the people who know the stadium understands they will be sitting on the sun side for the first hour. 102 and metal bleachers just might keep quite a few from making the long drive to be rotisserie roasted.:flaming:

Gone Fishing
08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=Tejastrue;1601446]This may sound silly to some but the people who know the stadium understands they will be sitting on the sun side for the first hour. 102 and metal bleachers just might keep quite a few from making the

long drive to be rotisserie roasted.:flaming:[/QUOT

Very very silly!!

rb585
08-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Wimberley 27-0 at half.

forum_guy
08-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Like I said people from cuero need to realize they are on the down. Everyone knew they would get rolled it's just hard for homers to admit it. Having tradition doesn't score points or keep u in the game, clearly Coaching has definitely taken a step down and of course the talent has graduated.

12thMan
08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Like I said people from cuero need to realize they are on the down. Everyone knew they would get rolled it's just hard for homers to admit it. Having tradition doesn't score points or keep u in the game, clearly Coaching has definitely taken a step down and of course the talent has graduated.

Cuero has a young team that will get better each game. Wimberley is a good team and tuff team to open the season with.

Old Green
08-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Final

Wimberley 34 - Cuero 6

trojandad
08-26-2011, 10:21 PM
congrats to the texans.....

ogg
08-26-2011, 11:19 PM
congrats to the texans.....

Thanks, the boys looked good. Total control, defense like a rock.

Tejastrue
08-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks, the boys looked good. Total control, defense like a rock.

Yes indeed. I also liked the different looks on offense. It's early and we didn't click on all the plays but they were open. A lot of different players touching the ball.

gold_33
08-27-2011, 12:15 AM
We pretty much dominated this game from the get go, Cuero got a late punt return TD against mostly backups to avoid the shutout but other than that they didnt have much success moving the ball. Darn sure wasnt your typical Cuero team, they had a big line but lacked the speed and playmakers your used to seeing them have. Thought Cuero's play calling was pretty bland and when they were down they continued to try to run the ball and really never went for a big play to try to get them back in it. Our D looked awesome and swarmed to the ball, O looked pretty good but thought Lamberts accuracy was off some and he missed some wide open receivers at times. The combo of Wilson and Smith is gonna be tough to stop, Wilson had some nice runs but the few times Smith got it he made the most of it and fought for yards. Smith should start getting more carries as the season goes on because he's explosive with the ball in his hands, Wilson is really good but Smith is a homerun threat every time he touches it. Like I expected Smith lined up at receiver a lot and that spreads the opposing D out and really opens the running game. Blakemore looked good and when you put him, Wilson, Smith and Lambert on the field its hard to key in on any one guy. Overall I thinked we looked really good but also have areas to improve in and once we do then this could be a great season.

Sportshack
08-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Wimberley looked fast in front 8. Cuero simply could not pass the ball. Poor scheme. Wimberley is too sound in front 8 guys (WHS often runs a 4-4-3) to have problems with a team that cannot throw at all. No disrepect intended but the Cuero passing game was really down from last year when Cuero scored 42 and 35 points respectively against WHS. A lot of that was on big pass plays down the field. Wimberley's offense was diverse and gave Cuero fits. LH game for Cuero next week will be an interesting barometer. WHS defense was not really tested at all by Cuero passing game. WHS will see more passing next week and a much more creative offense in Dripping Springs.

WHS kids were flying to the ball and just have some talented players on offense. They will likely be a handful for all opponents. However, do not get too carried away. Cuero seems really, really down from last year.

The seniors at Dripping Springs have never really competed well against WHS in sub varsity. However, their junior class has fared pretty well (I think but could be wrong). I would expect a better opponent next week but WHS should prevail.

gold_33
08-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Curious to see the Liberty Hill/Cuero outcome next week after both got beat tonite. Will be a good test next week against Dripping to see how the secondary fares against a passing team but we looked really fast on D tonite and were getting to the ball. I was suprised when Cuero had the ball at midfield with 30sec left in the half that they would just take a knee, not something you would normally see from Cuero and dont get me wrong I have the upmost respect for Cuero but it just wasnt the same intensity your used to seeing from them. I was really suprised by the number of kids they had on the squad compared to us, just used to Cuero having close to the same numbers as us and it seemed like they werent close.

Tejastrue
08-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Curious to see the Liberty Hill/Cuero outcome next week after both got beat tonite. Will be a good test next week against Dripping to see how the secondary fares against a passing team but we looked really fast on D tonite and were getting to the ball. I was suprised when Cuero had the ball at midfield with 30sec left in the half that they would just take a knee, not something you would normally see from Cuero and dont get me wrong I have the upmost respect for Cuero but it just wasnt the same intensity your used to seeing from them. I was really suprised by the number of kids they had on the squad compared to us, just used to Cuero having close to the same numbers as us and it seemed like they werent close.

Agree on the midfield thing. I was kinda yelling "why don't you run a play"? Needless to say some Texan fans were giving me the look but this is Cuero, you take a shot. I sure wish them well and hope they get it turned around this season. Knowing Cuero, they will. FYI, this is the 100th year of Cuero football. Congrats!!

1st and goal
08-27-2011, 08:59 AM
After seeing Wim at our scrimmage, I think they have what it takes to be a top 5 team. When we scrimmaged, it was like you guys never took a day off since last season. If you guys can stay injury free you should be able to go deep in the playoffs.

OTOH, sad to see Cuero having a "down" year.

LionFan72
08-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Sure seems to point out that either Wimberly IS indeed all that and a cup of Joe or Cuero is reeling this year. Good luck to both, hope to see you in Dec!

trojandad
08-27-2011, 12:53 PM
one wonders with cuero's history how long the powers that be give the new coach if he keeps showing results like this....

gold_33
08-27-2011, 01:03 PM
one wonders with cuero's history how long the powers that be give the new coach if he keeps showing results like this....

A few of us were saying the same thing last night, some questionable calls from the coach especially just letting the clock run out at midfield with 30sec left and one timeout. Play calling seemed lack luster, run, run, run and then punt, just not what you wouldve seen in years past from a Cuero team.

trojandad
08-27-2011, 01:15 PM
A few of us were saying the same thing last night, some questionable calls from the coach especially just letting the clock run out at midfield with 30sec left and one timeout. Play calling seemed lack luster, run, run, run and then punt, just not what you wouldve seen in years past from a Cuero team.

we had a dunce of a coach like that a few years ago, in our playoff game with lagrange we had gotten behind so far (in part to his great play calling)that with 8 min left in the game and us with a first down on our 40 he sent our qb in and told him to take 3 knees and punt.....they mutinied in the huddle and my son, who was playing left tackle and d/e said "coach hasnt wanted to run behind me all night, afraid this all state tackle would whip me...lets try a few plays to my side"....they went 60 yards in 4 plays, the first 3 were 15-20 yds runs off left tackle, then lagrange pulled him when we were down on the 5 yd line and we passed the ball for thr final 5 yds......after we scored, the coach came out and held his hands out to receive high fives, and the guys coming off the field parted like a river around an island (i have it on tape)....

am saying all that to say its not just the fans and officials thatll get tired of that, the kids will have their fill of that kind of stuff as well....

HSFB
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM

After Wimberley went up 27 0 in the first half, I'm thinking that Cuero may have just wanted to run the clock to close out the game as quickly as possible while keeping the score from really getting out of hand thus all the running plays. Based on all the game variables, that must have been the "strategy". If they would have went to the air to try to play catch-up then Wimberley puts up another 14+ points due to the clock stopping & probable negative plays/turnovers.

lbjacj
08-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Listen to a replay of the game here.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16892594

ronwx5x
08-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I was there and Cuero never threw the ball until the third quarter. There was at no time any attempt to just run out the clock.

Tejastrue
08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I was there and Cuero never threw the ball until the third quarter. There was at no time any attempt to just run out the clock.

Agreed other than the last 30 seconds of the 1st half when they had the ball at midfield.

snaxet
08-27-2011, 07:21 PM

I agree. I believe that Cuero's game strategy was to simply control the clock by running the ball. Not only do you keep Wimberley's offense off the field but you keep the score closer by eating up the clock as well. Wimberley defense, however, was solid against the run and Cuero could never move the ball. When you look at the size of Cuero's line, you can understand why the coaches decided to keep it on the ground - rely on the line to win the battle in the trenches. Unfortunately, it just didn't happen. Wimberley defense looks to be really solid.

Tejastrue
08-27-2011, 11:40 PM
we had a dunce of a coach like that a few years ago, in our playoff game with lagrange we had gotten behind so far (in part to his great play calling)that with 8 min left in the game and us with a first down on our 40 he sent our qb in and told him to take 3 knees and punt.....they mutinied in the huddle and my son, who was playing left tackle and d/e said "coach hasnt wanted to run behind me all night, afraid this all state tackle would whip me...lets try a few plays to my side"....they went 60 yards in 4 plays, the first 3 were 15-20 yds runs off left tackle, then lagrange pulled him when we were down on the 5 yd line and we passed the ball for thr final 5 yds......after we scored, the coach came out and held his hands out to receive high fives, and the guys coming off the field parted like a river around an island (i have it on tape)....

am saying all that to say its not just the fans and officials thatll get tired of that, the kids will have their fill of that kind of stuff as well....

As surprised as everyone was with their game plan I think it's a little over the top to put the Cuero coach in such a category. They lost quite a few key players from last year. We'll see how it plays out.

Tejastrue
08-28-2011, 12:10 AM
A little write up on the game.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1823382872/High-School-Football-Texans-make-quick-work-of-Gobblers

hookandladder
08-28-2011, 08:22 AM
As surprised as everyone was with their game plan I think it's a little over the top to put the Cuero coach in such a category. They lost quite a few key players from last year. We'll see how it plays out.

Cuero's coach is the not the problem, do not even go there. I hate to say I told you so but facts are facts , Cuero's talent this year is just down, it happens to all of us no matter the tradition. Cuero will still be fine come District time, they just will have a hard time with more talented teams. It is understandable if the Cuero coach just tried to run the clock to get out of Wimberley with his team healthy, you do not win a playoff spot in the first 5 games. Do not start questioning the coaches this early in the year, they are still trying to find where some kids fit in. Good Luck to both teams.

ogg
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Pretty cool!

http://austin.ynn.com/content/sports/280176/high-school-football-returns-to-texas

YTBulldogs
08-28-2011, 10:05 AM
It sure isn't the coaches fault. Coach Owens one of the best. You play what you got, and currently this team isn't that good. Cuero will contend for a playoff spot, but--it will not be a deep playoff type team we are use to.

Certainly don't help when you lose the services of one of the best running backs in the state (Jackson) either. He alone, could of allowed some of the new skill players time to develop.

LV_Bearfan
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Cuero's coach is the not the problem, do not even go there. I hate to say I told you so but facts are facts , Cuero's talent this year is just down, it happens to all of us no matter the tradition. Cuero will still be fine come District time, they just will have a hard time with more talented teams. It is understandable if the Cuero coach just tried to run the clock to get out of Wimberley with his team healthy, you do not win a playoff spot in the first 5 games. Do not start questioning the coaches this early in the year, they are still trying to find where some kids fit in. Good Luck to both teams.

Concur. Wimberley is an established, talented team that knows exactly what it wants to do. Unfortunately for Cuero, they don't have that early luxury this year, but they will still be good. Wimberley is not a good comparison this year. Wimberley will destroy any team that is still finding its way at this point. The pack always catches up some by the end of the season though. Just look at some of the hard-faught games the Texan's had within district last year. Injuries always have an impact on someone. It's hard to start and finish as an odds on favorite, so best of luck to Wimberley in accomplishing that. As for Cuero's coaching, I was quite impressed with what they accomplished last year sans Jackson. Good coaches figure out how to win with what they have. Cuero has that kind of coaching. Make no mistake, come October, they will be a formidable playoff opponent yet again.

Tejastrue
08-28-2011, 12:25 PM

If you read my post correctly you'll see I was actually defending the Cuero coach so please address your comments to someone else.

Tejastrue
08-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Pretty cool!

http://austin.ynn.com/content/sports/280176/high-school-football-returns-to-texas

Who's coach Weldon Norris? :spitlol:Great video.

TexanAlum_06
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Who's coach Weldon Norris? :spitlol:Great video.

Even 6 years later, hearing coach Nelms give a pre-game speech, I still get goosebumps! He can motivate just about anybody! Oh the memories...

Sportshack
08-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Also saw some positives in last quarter when WHS was running out clock. Both the back up RB Morris and Back up QB Jones looked good running the ball. Now Texans get to face a more balanced team in DS. It will be good to see how Texans' secondary holds up. I suspect that they will fare well against the Tigers.

Tejastrue
08-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Listen to a local broadcast of last Friday's game along with info on our upcoming RR- 12 rivalry game against 4A Dripping Springs.

http://www.kdrplive.org/TEXAN_SPORTS.html