PDA

View Full Version : Columbia/Brookshire Royal Scrimmage

Roughneck93
08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
During controlled portion of the scrimmage.
Columbia 1
Royal 0

During live portion.
Columbia 7
Royal 0

Columbia running game looked good tonight with both TD's coming on long runs.
Had issues catching the ball tonight. Two INTs coming off of balls that should have been caught. Been impressed with the new QB though, seems to be taking charge.
Defense played well. Royal did move the ball but Columbia was able to force a couple a punts during the live scrimmage.

trojandad
08-20-2011, 08:10 AM
i heard you guys DEMOLISHED royal....of course they could have been trying new things but was told to me your defense looks ready to roll...congrats...i might need to change my rankings....

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
i heard you guys DEMOLISHED royal....of course they could have been trying new things but was told to me your defense looks ready to roll...congrats...i might need to change my rankings....Yes sir, there was some hard hitting going on out there. Defense is ready, we just need to shore up a few areas. But overall they looked good. As far as Royal, you know I'm not sure what they ran last year but they were running a lot of spread during the scrimmage.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Johnson or Ince qb'n for WC? Everyone knew the D would be a strong point this year. If the O can get anywhere close to what they did last year, this team has a shot to do a lot of damage.

Floyd Bess is gonna be a monster this year running the ball, along with Thomas, Flannel, and Johnican. Do you know who scored the 2 tds?

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Johnson or Ince qb'n for WC? Everyone knew the D would be a strong point this year. If the O can get anywhere close to what they did last year, this team has a shot to do a lot of damage. Floyd Bess is gonna be a monster this year running the ball, along with Thomas, Flannel, and Johnican. Do you know who scored the 2 tds? Ince will be the starting QB. He's done well thus far. Thomas and Flannel scored the TDs and both were runs of 60+ yards. Flannel is running hard so far. Looks like the Flannel of old.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Ince will be the starting QB. He's done well thus far. Thomas and Flannel scored the TDs and both were runs of 60+ yards. Flannel is running hard so far. Looks like the Flannel of old. Bess get any carries?

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Bess get any carries?Yeah but he hasn't really gained much yardage in the two scrimmages. Not worried about it though, we know what he's capable of. I was more looking forward to seeing how Flannel came out. Hoping he would be that same dominant runner prior to the injury he sustained last year. He has been impressive. Not bad having a three headed monster back there.

Dub-C
08-20-2011, 04:04 PM
The defensive back field was layin some wood last night. Actually I was surprized by their phyiscal play in the defensive back field. The middle linebacker was teeing off anyone who can up the middle. The offense looks to have some kinks to work out but it's still early in the season they should be fine.

Necked
08-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I was more looking forward to seeing how Flannel came out. Hoping he would be that same dominant runner prior to the injury he sustained last year.

I'm with you on this point. People seem to have forgotten Flannel was on his way to a great year before he got knocked out of the Bay City game. They're going to need his power running abilities, at least until the line gets a few games in working together.

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 05:11 PM
The defensive back field was layin some wood last night. Actually I was surprized by their phyiscal play in the defensive back field. The middle linebacker was teeing off anyone who can up the middle. The offense looks to have some kinks to work out but it's still early in the season they should be fine.

You are correct, many big hits last night. Cassius Davidson in the middle flat out gets to the ball. And the Brown twins were very aggressive in the secondary.
Offensively, it was nice seeing some holes open up with the inexperienced line. Like you said, work out a few kinks and we'll be fine.

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm with you on this point. People seem to have forgotten Flannel was on his way to a great year before he got knocked out of the Bay City game. They're going to need his power running abilities, at least until the line gets a few games in working together.It definitely looks as if he is back to his old form. Having his power running would be a huge upswing for us.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Kinda shocked that Thomas and flannel both had enough speed to burn royals secondary on long Td runs. Royal has some kids that can flat out go!

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Kinda shocked that Thomas and flannel both had enough speed to burn royals secondary on long Td runs. Royal has some kids that can flat out go!I was thinking the same thing. On Flannel's run, he went up the middle virtually untouched and then split two defensive backs. He pulled away from them after that. Thomas went up the middle then bounced it outside down the sideline. I thought he would get caught, but again, he pulled away. Then there's Mr. Bess. Wait til he gets going. This backfield is loaded.,

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing. On Flannel's run, he went up the middle virtually untouched and then split two defensive backs. He pulled away from them after that. Thomas went up the middle then bounced it outside down the sideline. I thought he would get caught, but again, he pulled away. Then there's Mr. Bess. Wait til he gets going. This backfield is loaded., yeah lol, both of those guys are in between the tackles guys. Bess is our speedster. But if flannel or Thomas gets a step, not many people will catch them from behind either. If we stay healthy and Ince manages the games and doesn't turn it over, we've got ourselves a pretty good squad.

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 09:37 PM
yeah lol, both of those guys are in between the tackles guys. Bess is our speedster. But if flannel or Thomas gets a step, not many people will catch them from behind either. If we stay healthy and Ince manages the games and doesn't turn it over, we've got ourselves a pretty good squad.Ince has been good so far. Here's taken charge of the offense. Also, Treylon Johnican will see time behind center in certain packages. He ran some Wildcat last week against Angleton and looked pretty dang good. He actually broke about a 50 yard run at one point. I don't know if you have read this but here is the team preview via The Facts. http://thefacts.com/sports/article_72eaa0fc-c940-11e0-a56f-001cc4c03286.html?success=1

'Necks 2013-14
08-20-2011, 09:52 PM
IMHO Sean looked VERY much like a previous #22.:) Enough said.

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 10:32 PM
IMHO Sean looked VERY much like a previous #22.:) Enough said.Yes indeed. Very much so.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
IMHO Sean looked VERY much like a previous #22.:) Enough said.Uh oh.... those are quite big shoes to fill

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Ince has been good so far. Here's taken charge of the offense. Also, Treylon Johnican will see time behind center in certain packages. He ran some Wildcat last week against Angleton and looked pretty dang good. He actually broke about a 50 yard run at one point. I don't know if you have read this but here is the team preview via The Facts. http://thefacts.com/sports/article_72eaa0fc-c940-11e0-a56f-001cc4c03286.html?success=1Apparently you have to be a subscriber to read

Roughneck93
08-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Apparently you have to be a subscriber to read

Lol, dang it. Here you go.

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_72eaa0fc-c940-11e0-a56f-001cc4c03286.html
(http://thefacts.com/sports/article_72eaa0fc-c940-11e0-a56f-001cc4c03286.html)

By ALEX YBARRA

WEST COLUMBIA - In 2010, when Columbia made its surprising run to the Class 3A Division I state semifinals, paving the way was a veteran offensive line, speed and a young defense that matured throughout the season.
Fortunately, two of those three components return for the 2011 campaign.
Unfortunately, it's the depleted offensive line - which sprung a lot of that key speed a year ago - that could determine whether the Roughnecks repeat as District 29-3A champions.

"It's still a main concern finding some offensive linemen to fill the shoes and the void from what we had last year," Columbia coach Leland Surovik said. "We had some young kids we had in mind and put up to the challenge, and they all knew they were open positions. Anyone who wanted a starting position, it's time to fight for it."

Returning only five, Columbia lost six starters from a year ago, and all of that came in the trenches and at quarterback.

The Roughnecks lost center Dalton Duke, right guard Trey Lavender, right tackle Aaron Boucher, left guard Kevin Coulter and left tackle Caden Weiss to graduation. They even lost their sixth offensive lineman, Chad Kresta, who rotated in and took over when Weiss was injured.

Surovik said the players who have been battling during early practices to fill those extra big shoes are right tackle Aaron LaPointe, right guards Quinton Bell and Cassius Davidson, center Danny Hunt, left guard Chris Hobbs, Griffin King and left tackles Ryan Griggs, Jacob Potter and Jake Finley.

They have a lot of work to do, because with a continuous running game that controls the clock, the Roughneck offense truly depends on the offensive line.

Just look at the stats.

Last season, Columbia's 3,289 rushing yards in district play accounted for 81 percent of the team's 4,050 total yards - the Roughnecks recorded only 761 yards through the air. That same formula worked in the playoffs, as Columbia rolled into the state semifinals, where the season ended at the hands of Tyler Chapel Hill.

"We've lost a lot in size (on the offensive line)," Surovik said. "It's a lot quicker, being smaller of course. We still want to run the football just like in the past. I want to try to play smashmouth football. I don't know if it's gonna be smashmouth, but it might be quick. It's trial and error."

Speed has never been an issue at Columbia, and it won't be this season. However, the Roughnecks must replace lightning fast quarterback and district MVP Daymond Lewis, who had 1,437 rushing yards, 19 touchdowns and averaged 8.5 yards per carry. Lewis made a habit of juking defenders in the backfield and sprinting downfield for long touchdowns, but so did running back Floyd Bess.

As a sophomore, Bess had 1,121 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns while gaining 9.1 yards per carry. He'll be back as a junior, along with the bigger, more powerful Sean Flannel and fullbacks Broderick Thomas and Coleman Roark.

Together, Flannel and Thomas combined for more than 1,300 yards rushing and 20 touchdowns in 2010.

That means the tailback situation is taken care of, but finding someone to equal Lewis' production could prove difficult.

Surovik said Tyler Ince is the favorite to start under center, but Surovik added he'd like to use receiver Treylon Johnican and perhaps strong safety Willis Johnson - both possess great speed and quickness - in certain packages.

Options at receiver will be Keenan Brown, Johnican, Kevin Brown, Joe Craig, Nick Lewin, Jared Woodard and Devin Woodard.

"Ince is a little more consistent," Surovik said. "He has a good knowledge of the offensive game. He has a knack for being a leader, and right now he's stepping up and taking charge."

As the offense remains in flux, the biggest strength for Columbia undoubtedly will be the defense, which at the beginning of last year seemed to be the weakest link - but only for a moment.

After allowing 25 points per game the first three weeks, Columbia's young defensive players tightened up. They swarmed to the ball faster. They flew into the backfield. They wrapped up ball carriers.

Through the next nine games, the Roughnecks allowed 11.9 points per game.

Eight starters return from that squad.

The core of the defense, from the linebackers to the secondary, returns in 2011. The only rebuilding necessary will be replacing tackles Henderson and Vincen Shorter and Lavender on the defensive line, but 6-foot-3, 230-pound defensive end Bradley Swanks should help that transition.

"He was pretty good all year round, but he really picked it up at the end (of the season)," Surovik said. "He's physically strong and he moves good for a big guy. He's quick for a big person."

At middle linebacker, Davidson is the heart of the defense, Surovik said, and the rover will be Thomas.

The Roughnecks lose the speedy Chaz Easton, but Bess and Flannel will be outside linebackers, Ricky Wilson moves from linebacker to defensive end, and Johnican, Keenan Brown and Willis Johnson will roam the secondary.

Surovik said he'd rather have a stronger defense than offense, and at the moment, that's exactly what he has at his disposal.

"I feel defense wins you games," he said. "Even if the offense is putting up points, you gotta stop them. I've always said, ‘Defense wins championships.' Having a good defensive core returning helps."

Alex Ybarra is a sports writer for The Facts. Contact him at 979-237-0161.

SHSBulldog00
08-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Can we call this the post Brandon Williams ERA??

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Lol, dang it. Here you go.

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_72eaa0fc-c940-11e0-a56f-001cc4c03286.html

Sounds like we've got some o line issues. How'd they look in the scrimmage?

Roughneck93
08-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Sounds like we've got some o line issues. How'd they look in the scrimmage?Looked a lot better this week than last. More rushing yards, nice holes to run through vs Royal. They are coming along. Pass protection has been decent. QB pretty much rolls out, but we were doing that last year as well.

trojandad
08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Looked a lot better this week than last. More rushing yards, nice holes to run through vs Royal. They are coming along. Pass protection has been decent. QB pretty much rolls out, but we were doing that last year as well.

hey roughneck, question....do you think royal is down this year, at least from what you saw? (taking nothing away from your play)...

Roughneck93
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
hey roughneck, question....do you think royal is down this year, at least from what you saw? (taking nothing away from your play)...Yes. Of course they did lose Brandon Williams so that's a step down in itself right there. They have some weapons, QB is mobile, actually threw the ball pretty good. Lack of depth will hurt them.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
hey roughneck, question....do you think royal is down this year, at least from what you saw? (taking nothing away from your play)... Yeah, Royal is down quite a bit this year. BUT, they still have as much raw talent as any team in 3A. GREAT team speed. Depth is an issue. And Brandon Williams was the offense.

So, yes, WC looked pretty good defensively against a rebuilding team. A positive, but I wont put too much stock into it. I'm looking for the defense to win us games until the O line gets some experience and the new QB gets things going.

WC's success this season will be based on their offense. If the O comes along, this team will make another long run. If it doesnt, we'll still have a great defense that will carry us, but we'll lose out when we come up against a good team that can score.

1st and goal
08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Can we call this the post Brandon Williams ERA??
I guess Giddings will get a chance to find out in week 1 on Sept 2nd.

trojandad
08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes. Of course they did lose Brandon Williams so that's a step down in itself right there. They have some weapons, QB is mobile, actually threw the ball pretty good. Lack of depth will hurt them.

cant always tell with what they are losing, as we are losing a 2,400 yd rusher but retaining the better rusher of the two...but it does sound like your right...

BRfalconfan
08-26-2011, 02:00 PM
i have yet to see the boys play they lost alot of talent with this last senior year but im feel confident with what they are doing. they lost both the OC and O line coach and brought in a new guy at OC and the ass. O line coach took over but there are no excuses i will see them tonight at the wharton royal game and get back to yall on how they look