PDA

View Full Version : Two division playoffs lackluster

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 01:03 PM
I think having two division playoffs bites. What UIL should have done was to give make all teams begin season in Week Zero, play 10 games with no open weeks and allow each district champion a first-round bye before having seven weeks of playoffs instead of six, which would still end the season before Christmas as usual.
There's no glamour in winning state any more. Ho hum..... If you win state in other sports, you're the LONE champion - the way it oughtta be.

2001GiddingsLB
10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
I would have to disagree, maybe from a fan perspective its ho hum, but the new system gives even 3rd place teams who couldn't get it together during the regular season to show people what their made of in the postseason. Also I think those who have won state under the 2 division system would tell you it is just as great as winning it under the single division system. Besides all these extra playoff games provide a needed extra source of revenue for the schools involved cuz to be honest some of these 3a schools need all the funding they can get.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 01:22 PM
Pardon me, but I don't remember saying that a new system should only include two teams in the playoffs - that's why I said to start the season for EVERYONE in Week Zero with no open weeks later and have the district champ get a first-round bye and the second and third place teams face another district's flip-flopped second and third place teams. It would be an incentive to WIN district (a week off) and would still allow all three schools to gain revenue from post-season. Re-read my previous submission.

duckbutter
10-09-2002, 01:25 PM
A team on a roll usually doesn't want a week off before the playoffs.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Ask people across the state who won state in both Divison I and II in four years and I'll bet they couldn't remember to save their lives.

Compudyne
10-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Duckbutter is right. Teams don't want a week off once the playoffs start.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 01:37 PM
Well, that's ridiculous if you ask me. If you win district, you can go attend the game of a potential future opponent that weekend!

<small>[ October 09, 2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: HornetPride ]</small>

Compudyne
10-09-2002, 01:51 PM
I think teams trade films nowadays. Prabably since the early 80's. Teams don't want a week off. Bottom Line.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Why don't they just hand out 1,046 state crowns every year and everybody can throw a big party! Loddy-freakin'-da!

Compudyne
10-09-2002, 01:58 PM
I didn't realize they were handing out 1,046 State Crowns every year. I really need to pay attention to what is going on. Thanks for the info.

this is the way we ball
10-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Hornet....Don't cry dry your eye.

Old Cardinal
10-09-2002, 02:07 PM
I like the system as it is, you don't know really who you will play....IN SOME CASES you don't even know what Division you will play in, until near the end. Teams get to play teams they may have never heard of. Nobody wants to take a week off if they have prepared their depth, to be competitive for the Post season. Two Champs is all right with me, that way a smaller school does not have to compete with a depth-laden school of near 900 enrollment. It make a real difference, having depth ready to start the postseason, a commodity most smaller school lack.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 02:30 PM
I don't agree. Caldwell won state twice in volleyball in the past four years and it was an awesome feeling to be the only one to grab the marbles. My opinion, but having 10 state champions is just too many. I won't change my opinion, but thanks for trying.

2001GiddingsLB
10-09-2002, 09:49 PM
Sorry about the earlier misinterpretation but like compudyne said no team wants to take a break when on the roll. Also if it is so easy to win a state championship then how come so many people still get upset. Besides in 3a there are still only 2 state titles for over 200 teams. so whatever you get out of it, I think the playoff system is fine.

Old Dog
10-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Heys folks, money is the basis for all of this nonsense. The administrators love it! Does the UIL get a cut of playoff gate receipts? The championship is diluted, sorry but it's true.

HornetPride
10-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Think of it. If you were La Grange, wouldn't you have wondered two years ago if you could have been the outright 3A champion had you had the chance to play Gatesville? Same for Commerce and Everman last year. They'll never know.

Owen B
10-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Might not know for sure but I feel pretty certain that Commerce would have won an overall 3A championship in 1999 but not in 2001. Everman was top (bull)dog last year.