PDA

View Full Version : Week 10, Athens @ Chapel Hill

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Do any of you guys who already have your schedule mapped out plan on being at this one?

I was wanting to catch an Athens game so I was looking on the schedule and saw this one. Athens played Chill really tough last year right? And both are supposed to be really good this year?

Thinking about putting this one on my calendar

Gsquared
08-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Do any of you guys who already have your schedule mapped out plan on being at this one?

I was wanting to catch an Athens game so I was looking on the schedule and saw this one. Athens played Chill really tough last year right? And both are supposed to be really good this year?

Thinking about putting this one on my calendar

Dang, you followin me? I have this one on my schedule too, week 10

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Dang, you followin me? I have this one on my schedule too, week 10LOL, just 2 teams I'm wanting to see play. Plus, Chill beat the sh*t outta us last year. Wanting to see them again before another potential playoff rematch. See what we're p against this year, how much they've improved etc. Athens should be a great measuring stick.

Gsquared
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
LOL, just 2 teams I'm wanting to see play. Plus, Chill beat the sh*t outta us last year. Wanting to see them again before another potential playoff rematch. See what we're p against this year, how much they've improved etc. Athens should be a great measuring stick.
I saw Chapell Hill scriammage Wills Point last week. I think they are better than they were last year. More physical for sure. If thier passing game comes around they could be hard to beat.

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I saw Chapell Hill scriammage Wills Point last week. I think they are better than they were last year. More physical for sure. If thier passing game comes around they could be hard to beat.Our secondary was our weak spot last year and Chill torched it through the air. We pretty well held our own on the ground, but Saenz did what a lot of other highly touted QB's in 3A couldnt do last year, and thats be effective in the passing game. We shut Sinton down passing, and Dorman (???) from Somerset was supposed to be some kind of amazing QB too and we picked him off, twice I think, and contained them really well, aside from one like 75 yard Td late in the game.

Saenz from Chill had no problem picking us apart though. I think a lot of it had to do with us getting a good amount of pressure on the other 2 QB's. Chill's line pass protected really well, and when we would get pressure on Saenz, he was able to get out of the pocket and make accurate throws on the run or take of running for a first down. We couldnt do much with that kid, and their running game was good enough to pick up a few first downs when needed.

I honestly figured this kid would throw up some crazy #'s this year. Kinda surprised to know their passing game was a little lacking in the scrimmage.

MGAR
08-19-2011, 03:30 PM
CH owned the first half last year but Athens came roaring back to lose 38-35...

This year should be about the same.. Good tough game.. With Sanders at QB for Athens who knows what they are capable of.

Txbroadcaster
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
that is one of the games G and I will be broadcasting most likely..in fact three CH games look to be on schedule..plus early approval for us to do their play off games

trojandad
08-19-2011, 03:47 PM
did anybody see the chapel hill - athens game last year? im still trying to figure out what happened, because when we played athens we expected a real tough ball game and it just didnt happen....when they almost beat the hill our game was when i finally believed we had a chance because they had a terrible game against us...you always wanna believe it was just your defense, but people from both sides were leaving in the 3rd qtr, it was that much of a one sided game against us....i just never understood....

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
did anybody see the chapel hill - athens game last year? im still trying to figure out what happened, because when we played athens we expected a real tough ball game and it just didnt happen....when they almost beat the hill our game was when i finally believed we had a chance because they had a terrible game against us...you always wanna believe it was just your defense, but people from both sides were leaving in the 3rd qtr, it was that much of a one sided game against us....i just never understood....I think the biggest thing is, Athens probably has a better pass D than run D. Seems as if you guys torched them on the ground and Chill seemed to me to be more of a passing team. Maybe thats why Athens was able to hang a little tougher with them. Didnt make the offensive mistakes either.

And not taking anything from coldspring, but 2 pick6's in 1 game kinda turns the tide. Athens was up 7-0, then a pick6.
Then an 86 yard TD by gilbert. 2 big plays that mightve shocked Athens. then another pick6 later. its still 30-14 even if you take those away, but Athens screwed up on offense and gave up big plays on the ground on D. Not a winning formula. i'm sure they played much more to their capability against CHill.

Txbroadcaster
08-19-2011, 04:03 PM
did anybody see the chapel hill - athens game last year? im still trying to figure out what happened, because when we played athens we expected a real tough ball game and it just didnt happen....when they almost beat the hill our game was when i finally believed we had a chance because they had a terrible game against us...you always wanna believe it was just your defense, but people from both sides were leaving in the 3rd qtr, it was that much of a one sided game against us....i just never understood....

i am trying to remember..but I dont think Sanders was 100% for ur game

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 04:08 PM
i am trying to remember..but I dont think Sanders was 100% for ur gameColdspring still put over 300 on Athens D on the ground.

But like I said, without those 2 pick6's... would've been a different game.

Txbroadcaster
08-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Coldspring still put over 300 on Athens D on the ground.

But like I said, without those 2 pick6's... would've been a different game.

Athens last year was not a powerful D anyway..they won with offense..they gave up at least 20 points in 6 of 13 games..gave up 30 in 3 of them..that was why it was so shocking they had some success agianst BR in the play off win

trojandad
08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I think the biggest thing is, Athens probably has a better pass D than run D. Seems as if you guys torched them on the ground and Chill seemed to me to be more of a passing team. Maybe thats why Athens was able to hang a little tougher with them. Didnt make the offensive mistakes either.

And not taking anything from coldspring, but 2 pick6's in 1 game kinda turns the tide. Athens was up 7-0, then a pick6.
Then an 86 yard TD by gilbert. 2 big plays that mightve shocked Athens. then another pick6 later. its still 30-14 even if you take those away, but Athens screwed up on offense and gave up big plays on the ground on D. Not a winning formula. i'm sure they played much more to their capability against CHill.

our first score was a 32 yd fumble recovery, then gilberts long run, all in the 1st qtr....the one pick for a td came almost the beginning of the 4th qtr....your right, tho, the other pick came early and athens just seemed to lose any belief they could run or pass....they ended up with 100 yds passing and 100 yds rushing (almost 40 attempts), while we ran for almost 340 and passed for almost 60...they just looked like they ran out of will....we fumbled in the 4th and an athens player ran by the ball on the ground and almost acted like he was gonna kick the ball rather than recover it....i believed going into the game looking at their stats that they would throw the ball every down, yet they only threw 14 times for the game

i was really nervous when we played them, thinking we had just stepped up a big class if they could play the hill that well....did they catch up with chapel hill in the 2nd half with the run or the pass? when we beat athens with such ease (many forget we took two knees on athens 1 yd line to keep the score from being worse as time ran out) i thought we might be in chapel hills class or better....i know, give me grief....lol

MGAR
08-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Just a little FYI...

Chapel Hill struggled tonight against Arp.

Chillfan
08-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Just a little FYI...

CH's offense was on fire but the defense needs some work. It'll come with time. A couple of new faces that will eventually get in sync.

trojandad
08-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Just a little FYI...

does that say bad about the hill or good about arp, you think?

MGAR
08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
does that say bad about the hill or good about arp, you think?

I think it's more of Arp being pretty good this year. But we will know for sure next week when they play Daingerfield.

CH outscored them but Arp was able to move the ball on them pretty good..

trojandad
08-19-2011, 11:18 PM
I think it's more of Arp being pretty good this year. But we will know for sure next week when they play Daingerfield.

CH outscored them but Arp was able to move the ball on them pretty good..

see, my thoughts are that of those big teams (ch, henderson, carthage) the one that showed some small holes during the season was chapel hill.....nothing bad, just games like athens gave us a glimpse, sort of like huffmans and k'villes games against us showed our weak spots, for sure....they are a very good team but sitting on the top spot, im not so sure they cant be had.....nothing disparaging, just maybe a chink in the armor....

MGAR
08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
see, my thoughts are that of those big teams (ch, henderson, carthage) the one that showed some small holes during the season was chapel hill.....nothing bad, just games like athens gave us a glimpse, sort of like huffmans and k'villes games against us showed our weak spots, for sure....they are a very good team but sitting on the top spot, im not so sure they cant be had.....nothing disparaging, just maybe a chink in the armor....

CH will be alright I think.

Not to sure about Carthage this year.. Their QB to be is out for the year.. Sophmore QB will be the guy now.

But then again, who ever heard of Anthony Morgan or Si' Blackshire early in the seasons of their first starts..

Txbroadcaster
08-20-2011, 12:14 AM

IMO Henderson showed the biggest holes..lets not forget it was an upset that they beat CH..most felt CH would wint he game going away..but Henderson jumped on them early and then held on

actually thinking about it..the way Carthage got drilled maybe they showed the biggest holes

MGAR
08-20-2011, 12:29 AM
IMO Henderson showed the biggest holes..lets not forget it was an upset that they beat CH..most felt CH would wint he game going away..but Henderson jumped on them early and then held on

actually thinking about it..the way Carthage got drilled maybe they showed the biggest holes

Naa, early in the season... Carthage missing two difference makers on defense...

Chillfan
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Naa, early in the season... Carthage missing two difference makers on defense...
I understand they had some good D players out. But how do you explain CH's D holding their offense which were all healthy to a minimum. I think there stud RB only had like 50 yds.

Carthage just wasn't mentally ready for CH because they didn't realize what we had. We kinda shocked them early and it was over.