PDA

View Full Version : Neftali Feliz and the Texas Rangers

coach
08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Alot of ppl on here said they needed a new closer...well did yall watch the game last night.....

also, here is a fun fact. Brian Wilson, one of the games best closer has 5 blown saves.
Neftali has 6....

waterboy
08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Yep. I watched that game. Sad, I tell ya. What was Wash thinking? If he would've just let Mark Lowe finish out the game we would be talking about a sweep in L.A. for the first time for the Rangers, ever. Neftali Feliz probably did need the night off, but Mike Adams is NOT a closer. I'd use Lowe in that role if Feliz was unavailable, but that's just me.

eagles_victory
08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Yep. I watched that game. Sad, I tell ya. What was Wash thinking? If he would've just let Mark Lowe finish out the game we would be talking about a sweep in L.A. for the first time for the Rangers, ever. Neftali Feliz probably did need the night off, but Mike Adams is NOT a closer. I'd use Lowe in that role if Feliz was unavailable, but that's just me. Hindsight is always 20/20. Having Lowe finish the game is something 0 managers would do. This is how Major League Baseball works you have a setup man and a closer. Last time Adams came in the same situation he shut the door he just didn't get it done last night.

There is a big difference between 35 out of 40 and 24 out of 30 as far as Save percentage goes.

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Alot of ppl on here said they needed a new closer...well did yall watch the game last night.....

also, here is a fun fact. Brian Wilson, one of the games best closer has 5 blown saves.
Neftali has 6....Except Brian wilson is having a 'down' year. His ERA is still good and inline with his career average but WAY up compared to last year when he was considered "one of the best closers in the game." He still has a good ERA (3.19) but thats mainly because he had an entire month with only 1 ER, but his April was awful. He had an ERA above 4 until almost June.

His hits/9 IP is up as well as walks. Strikeouts are down. His whip is the highest of his entire career. And these numbers arent just a little up, they're much worse than his career averages. He's having a tough year despite a respectable ERA, so to compare Neftali to him and say look hes as good as a great player in a down year isnt saying much.

That's like saying someone who has 12 homeruns is a great power hitter because A-rod only has 13.

waterboy
08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Having Lowe finish the game is something 0 managers would do. This is how Major League Baseball works you have a setup man and a closer. Last time Adams came in the same situation he shut the door he just didn't get it done last night.

There is a big difference between 35 out of 40 and 24 out of 30 as far as Save percentage goes.
Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but, DANG, Lowe was "ON" last night, and I doubt seriously he would've blown a save opportunity like Adams has......twice. Personally, I would've used Tatiyama (sp?) for the setup man, and Lowe for the closer last night.

bwdlionfan
08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but, DANG, Lowe was "ON" last night, and I doubt seriously he would've blown a save opportunity like Adams has......twice. Personally, I would've used Tatiyama (sp?) for the setup man, and Lowe for the closer last night.

I actually fell asleep watching the game in the 8th inning, but I've always wondered... if your setup guy is pitching well and gets 3 quick outs in the 8th (which I don't know how quick of outs they were since I was asleep); why wouldn't you just let him pitch the 9th as well.

Tejastrue
08-19-2011, 10:17 PM
We took 3 out of 4 from the Angels. I wish we could win all the games but ***? The Angels have a good team. We won tonight but we gave up 4 runs, OMG. Feliz got his 25th save tonight, what's up with that? Not good enough. Why bother!!:)