PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley at Giddings scrimmage

1st and goal
08-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know what time it starts? I'm thinking I saw somewhere 7:30pm but may be wrong.

Anyone from Wimberley coming? It will be hot. Probably around 100 deg still at 7:30

Last Saturday's scrimmage they had the concession stand open selling drinks and candy but no food. So I'd recommend you get something to eat prior to arriving at the stadium.

In Bastrop, there's a Taco Cabana a bit before town on the south side of 71, and a Schlotzskis in front of Walmart also on the south side of 71. In Giddings, we have Whataburger, Mcdonalds and Taco Bell in a row on HWY 290 about a mile past hwy 77 on the right. Also a Sonic on the right. If you want to sit down to eat, sometimes the Mexican food place next to John Deere is decent, depends on what you order.

Drive carefully.

Tejastrue
08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know what time it starts? I'm thinking I saw somewhere 7:30pm but may be wrong.

Anyone from Wimberley coming? It will be hot. Probably around 100 deg still at 7:30

Last Saturday's scrimmage they had the concession stand open selling drinks and candy but no food. So I'd recommend you get something to eat prior to arriving at the stadium.

In Bastrop, there's a Taco Cabana a bit before town on the south side of 71, and a Schlotzskis in front of Walmart also on the south side of 71. In Giddings, we have Whataburger, Mcdonalds and Taco Bell in a row on HWY 290 about a mile past hwy 77 on the right. Also a Sonic on the right. If you want to sit down to eat, sometimes the Mexican food place next to John Deere is decent, depends on what you order.

Drive carefully.

I'm planning on making the trip. I can't confirm a time mainly because our school site shows it at 9:00 am. :ack!: I would wager it is at 7:30 (Giddings HS site) mainly because of it being a week day. Maybe someone can confirm the time. Thanks for the info on the area eateries. Below is a recent story from the Austin paper on Giddings and an interview with the QB.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/hsfootball/high-school-preseason-poll-no-10-giddings-1723730.html

BaseballUmp
08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Hunans still open?

1st and goal
08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Hunans still open?

Yes, and it is still good. Hunan's is Chinese food in a strip mall in Walmart parking lot.

gtownfan
08-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Drive carefully.

They are having hamburgers tonight in the concession stand.

gtownfan
08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Freshman at 5, JV at 6 and Varsity at 7:30

Johnny Utah
08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Its Almost Jones Time!! Buffs are very fortunate to have him and his family!!:)

Tejastrue
08-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Liked to know if any Giddings people here were at this scrimmage and their thoughts.

Sportshack
08-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Liked to know if any Giddings people here were at this scrimmage and their thoughts.

What as your take. Had a buddy text me. Said WHS "D" fared well in live quarter play. Offense scored a couple times but could not be called smash mouth just yet. Accurate?

Tejastrue
08-18-2011, 11:58 PM
What as your take. Had a buddy text me. Said WHS "D" fared well in live quarter play. Offense scored a couple times but could not be called smash mouth just yet. Accurate?

Average in the scrimmage scoring once. Looked much better in the live session. We scored 3 times including one on the last play. Smash mouth would be stretching it but they did not get past the 50 during that time. Caught their QB several times in the backfield. They did not score.

snaxet
08-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Average in the scrimmage scoring once. Looked much better in the live session. We scored 3 times including one on the last play. Smash mouth would be stretching it but they did not get past the 50 during that time. Caught their QB several times in the backfield. They did not score.

A lot of positives came out of this scrimmage for Wimberley. Defense played a lot of different players and we held Giddings scoreless. In live 2 quarters Giddings did not move the ball, and I really don't remember them getting a first down. Three interceptions throughout the night; one in the live quarter. Some good hits with a gang style mentality. Offensively we moved the ball. Had trouble scoring in the scrimmage portion but went up and down the field. During the live quarters we were only stopped on one possession, scored 3 times. We stayed very basic but played with passion and enthusiasm. Looked like there were no injuries so everyone should be back ready to go against Cuero.

Sportshack
08-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Things appear to be looking up. Getting pumped for next week.

Tejastrue
08-19-2011, 01:00 AM
A lot of positives came out of this scrimmage for Wimberley. Defense played a lot of different players and we held Giddings scoreless. In live 2 quarters Giddings did not move the ball, and I really don't remember them getting a first down. Three interceptions throughout the night; one in the live quarter. Some good hits with a gang style mentality. Offensively we moved the ball. Had trouble scoring in the scrimmage portion but went up and down the field. During the live quarters we were only stopped on one possession, scored 3 times. We stayed very basic but played with passion and enthusiasm. Looked like there were no injuries so everyone should be back ready to go against Cuero.

I'm sorry, was I not thorough enough? We were better but we have a ways to go.

1st and goal
08-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I was impressed by Wimberley's Defense. Swarming. Very quick off the snap with a good 1st move. They had our number tonight as expected this early in the season. Kuddos to their players and coaches. They had some really big guys on both lines and they had a successful passing game which was able to gain yardage in large chunks. Giddings pass coverage will be better than last year but linebacker/safety coverages still need some practice.

OTOH, our boys have only been exposed to this new offense for 6 weeks. I saw them looking for someone to block while everyone went around them. They need to watch film and learn the new blocking schemes on offense. It was a good scrimmage against a really good team.

Giddings JV looked really good.

I predict Wimberley will win their district and they have potential to do more. Who knows, we might just see them again in the playoffs??? Good luck to your team and thanks for traveling all the way here. I saw more Wimberley fans here for a scrimmage than I've seen some teams here for a real game.

snaxet
08-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry, was I not thorough enough? We were better but we have a ways to go.

We do have a long, long way to go. O-Line, secondary did make some strides but have a ways to go. Fortunately, we have a platform to build from. Your comments seemed to ignore the passion and enthusiasm that was sorely missing from the first scrimmage. Nevertheless, I liked your brevity.

wimbo_pro
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
wow...brevity...had to look that one up!

Tejastrue
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I was impressed by Wimberley's Defense. Swarming. Very quick off the snap with a good 1st move. They had our number tonight as expected this early in the season. Kuddos to their players and coaches. They had some really big guys on both lines and they had a successful passing game which was able to gain yardage in large chunks. Giddings pass coverage will be better than last year but linebacker/safety coverages still need some practice.

OTOH, our boys have only been exposed to this new offense for 6 weeks. I saw them looking for someone to block while everyone went around them. They need to watch film and learn the new blocking schemes on offense. It was a good scrimmage against a really good team.

I predict Wimberley will win their district and they have potential to do more. Who knows, we might just see them again in the playoffs??? Good luck to your team and thanks for traveling all the way here. I saw more Wimberley fans here for a scrimmage than I've seen some teams here for a real game.

Appreciate your candid comments. That explains a lot. I think maybe that one rb on the JV will soon be on the varsity. I think he scored on two long runs. Funny thing was his supporting fans (family?) sat on the visiting side. At first I thought some of the Texan fans were cheering for this kid from Giddings. Too funny :wave: I guess they did not want to be baking in the sun at 100 plus temps. Can't say I blame them. Good luck to your team as well. Looks like you start the season with 3 good teams in a row. :1popcorn:

Tejastrue
08-19-2011, 10:50 AM
wow...brevity...had to look that one up! Me too. I didn't know whether to respond or pay homage. :)

wimbo_pro
08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Me too. I didn't know whether to respond or pay homage. :)

damn...homage....give me a sec, brb.

snaxet
08-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Me too. I didn't know whether to respond or pay homage. :)

Your repartee is very commendable.

snaxet
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM

You have a lot to look forward to. Giddings has some really good athletes and once the system is in place they will really show a lot of improvement. Your quarterback was quick and threw the ball well. Good luck to the Buffaloes. Hope to see you down the way.

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Your repartee is very commendable.
You do realize that now wimpy is going to have to subscribe to Webster's online with all the "big" words. ;)

trojandad
08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
You do realize that now wimpy is going to have to subscribe to Webster's online with all the "big" words. ;)

:2thumbsup

snaxet
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM

You are so right. Let's keep it simple. "Clever reply"

zebrablue2
08-19-2011, 05:51 PM
you do realize that now wimpy is going to have to subscribe to webster's online with all the "big" words. ;)

rofl!!!

wimbo_pro
08-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Now THAT was hurtful!! LOL

trojandad
08-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I think maybe that one rb on the JV will soon be on the varsity.:

tell me your opinion on where you would put him with the two rbs coming back from last year....hes not gonna move either one of them aside, do you think?

HSFB
08-20-2011, 10:45 AM
During the 2 quarters of live scrimmage the 1st unit Wimberley D gave up just one yard to the Giddings O in 3 series with a handful of those plays being negative yards. Wimberley then subbed quite a few D players on Gidding 4th possesion and they gave up about 7 yards on two plays and then picked off the 3rd down pass.

The offense scored 3 times and the passing game looked sharp. We do need to improve on 1st downs to keep out of the 2nd and long plays. Even if it is just a 3 to 4 yrd gain on 1st down.....that is a good thing and keeps us out of having to make the big play on 2nd & 3rd downs.

Tejastrue
08-20-2011, 12:52 PM
tell me your opinion on where you would put him with the two rbs coming back from last year....hes not gonna move either one of them aside, do you think? Probably not. It was hard for me to compare because the Giddings varsity RBs were completely shut down. That young man on jv was quick, strong and finished his runs. Good size as well if I recall correctly. Granted it was jv and our defense struggled. I just liked him.