PDA

View Full Version : I heard that this is illegal

Old Tiger
08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
riding with just a baseball bat in your car....I heard that you have to have a glove along with it.

BullBoy
08-17-2011, 01:44 PM
riding with just a baseball bat in your car....I heard that you have to have a glove along with it.I've heard that too.

Old Tiger
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
So is it and why is it illegal?

BullBoy
08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
So is it and why is it illegal?Alexander v. State, 617 S.W.2d 269 (Tex. Crim. App. 1981) “The fact that an object is
capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death alone does not bring the object within
the definition of club.” “Instruments readily capable of inflicting serious bodily injury but
not specifically designed to do so, such as baseball bats and rolling pins, are excluded, if
a person carrying one of them has intent to use them to inflict injury and his criminal
design progresses far enough, however, he can be prosecuted for an attempted or
completed assault.”

That's all I found, I'll probably just ask a cop.

Old Tiger
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Alexander v. State, 617 S.W.2d 269 (Tex. Crim. App. 1981) “The fact that an object is
capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death alone does not bring the object within
the definition of club.” “Instruments readily capable of inflicting serious bodily injury but
not specifically designed to do so, such as baseball bats and rolling pins, are excluded, if
a person carrying one of them has intent to use them to inflict injury and his criminal
design progresses far enough, however, he can be prosecuted for an attempted or
completed assault.”

That's all I found, I'll probably just ask a cop.I think there are a couple of cops who post on here.

BwdLion73
08-17-2011, 02:24 PM
A baseball bat by itself would not be looked at as a prohibited weapon. I think the problem comes when someone alters the bat in some way as in adding a strap or loop to put your hand in, or writing cop killer or something on the bat. I would think if you stopped someone and they had no record and a reasonable and prudent person would not be alarmed by them than it would be ok.
Now if they stopped ol' three tooth speed bubba in his uncles ...sisters...Moms.....cousins 94 Pontiac Gran Am with no insurance, Invalid D.L. and a bottle of anhydrous amonia He might need to take a closer look.

TheDOCTORdre
08-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I heard its illegal to have an underage girl in your car without shoes on.

OldBison75
08-17-2011, 11:09 PM
A baseball bat is not a prohibited weapon until you pull it out of the car and threaten to harm someone with it. Just laying in the car it is not considered a illegal weapon.

eagles_victory
08-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Which is why I always bring a spare pair of shoes with me.

piratebg
08-18-2011, 12:08 AM
I only recall 1 instance where someone was arrested for having a bat in a vehicle. He was a beer-gutted redneck speeding down the highway flying a huge Confederate flag off the back of his truck. The bat was on a shotgun rack that said redneck had hanging on the back windshield behind his head, well within his reach. It was wooden wih some dents and marks that did not appear to come from the local batting cages. Add the fact that he was pretty blunt about it's purpose in the truck, he was arrested for carrying a club.

Tx Challenge
08-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I seriously doubt that you would get in trouble in Tx for carrying a baseball bat. It may be a law somewhere but unless provoked, most police would ignore. What is the difference between that and a tire jack iron? What I find amusing, is my wife and I have 40 cal SIG-Sauer's. We bought them in Tx and used to go to the range. Brought them to Ca and they are illegal. Not the gun, but the clips. They can not hold more than 10 rounds here. Found out the hard way when they inspected them at the shooting range. Guy was cool, but told us he was supposed to report us. Have not bought 10 round clips yet. Might to be able to keep the skills up, but the 15 rounders will stay around on an "as needed" basis. Stupid to me, but laws are laws. If I ever needed to use one, I will take my chances. The Shotgun or the "legal" guns with laser would be my first defense anyway if someone decides to visit in the middle of the night.

orange machine
08-18-2011, 12:53 AM
A baseball bat is not a prohibited weapon until you pull it out of the car and threaten to harm someone with it. Just laying in the car it is not considered a illegal weapon.
This is correct a baseball bat is designed for the use of baseball not beating people with so yes it is legal to have a bat in your car. Now if it used to commit a crime or is going to be used to commit a crime then it becomes illegal. The same could be said for a hammer or tire iron they are not illegal to have your car, but if used to commit a crime they become a deadly weapon.

Tx Challenge
08-18-2011, 01:17 AM
This is correct a baseball bat is designed for the use of baseball not beating people with so yes it is legal to have a bat in your car. Now if it used to commit a crime or is going to be used to commit a crime then it becomes illegal. The same could be said for a hammer or tire iron they are not illegal to have your car, but if used to commit a crime they become a deadly weapon.

exactly! there is a difference if an officer comes up on an incident or pulls someone over and the have a hammer, tire iron, baseball bat in hand, rather than one being in the car!

Super_R
08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
What if you're just the designated hitter?