PDA

View Full Version : The "U" Is it worse than SMU?

BaseballUmp
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6866006/ponzi-schemer-nevin-shapiro-says-provided-benefits-miami-athletes

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
They are about to get thumped.

And Texas Tech's new Atheletic Director is probably going to get drug right into the middle of it. :crying:

Txbroadcaster
08-17-2011, 10:57 AM
good Q..I still think SMU was worse because it was SO MANY who were involved..as of now this is just one guy

Matthew328
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6866006/ponzi-schemer-nevin-shapiro-says-provided-benefits-miami-athletes

not worse than SMU but in the ballpark

BaseballUmp
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess this is just the SMU ordeal of my generation

Txbroadcaster
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I guess this is just the SMU ordeal of my generation

not really..SMU was far more complex with so many more involved all the way to the Governor...this again as of now is just one guy

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
not really..SMU was far more complex with so many more involved all the way to the Governor...this again as of now is just one guy

To make it worse, SMU had signed contracts to pay certain players. When the NCAA hammered down on them they were stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

Txbroadcaster
08-17-2011, 11:15 AM
To make it worse, SMU had signed contracts to pay certain players. When the NCAA hammered down on them they were stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

yea they had to finish out the contracts even after being busted by NCAA..and the NCAA had to let them LOL so funny

bigwood33
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM
As far aw we know, SMU boosters didn't pay for abortions, prostitutes, and strippers. The "seediness" of the Miami thing is what caught me off guard and it also touched the basketball program. They may not get the "death penalty" but I wouldn't be surprised if they got the "induced coma" penalty.

Roughneck93
08-17-2011, 11:31 AM
As far aw we know, SMU boosters didn't pay for abortions, prostitutes, and strippers. The "seediness" of the Miami thing is what caught me off guard and it also touched the basketball program. They may not get the "death penalty" but I wouldn't be surprised if they got the "induced coma" penalty.I was thinking the same thing. How about the "death penalty"? You guys think we will ever see it again? I don't, but do they need to go back to those extremes?

bigwood33
08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I was thinking the same thing. How about the "death penalty"? You guys think we will ever see it again? I don't, but do they need to go back to those extremes?
In cases like this and other repeat offenders, they need to "hammer" the school but not kill the program but what I really think they need to do is ban the HC from all NCAA activities for 2 or 3 years. That is the only thing that will make these guys take a stand in these situations.

Phil C
08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
After what happened to SMU in the aftermath I don't think the death penalty will ever happen again. But severe punishment will probably come such as post season bans, loss of scholarships and other penalties.

Roughneck93
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
In cases like this and other repeat offenders, they need to "hammer" the school but not kill the program but what I really think they need to do is ban the HC from all NCAA activities for 2 or 3 years. That is the only thing that will make these guys take a stand in these situations.Might be safe to say that Frank Haith over at Mizzou is on borrowed time. And any of the other coaches mentioned in this for that matter. Feel bad for Al Golden having to come into this mess.

bigwood33
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Feel bad for Al Golden having to come into this mess.
I don't feel sorry for any of the coaches...even the honest ones, at least they still get paid. I feel sorry for the honest kids, from walk- ons to the scholarship players, who never got paid or took illegal gifts. They will get hammered too in this whole thing. If an athlete is not named in any of the rules infractions, that athlete should be given their release, if they want it, so that they can transfer to another school without penalty or having to sit out.

Roughneck93
08-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't feel sorry for any of the coaches...even the honest ones, at least they still get paid. I feel sorry for the honest kids, from walk- ons to the scholarship players, who never got paid or took illegal gifts. They will get hammered too in this whole thing. If an athlete is not named in any of the rules infractions, that athlete should be given their release, if they want it, so that they can transfer to another school without penalty or having to sit out.At the very least, the honest players should be given their full release without penalty. I believe a few USC players were given that option recently.

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
At the very least, the honest players should be given their full release without penalty. I believe a few USC players were given that option recently.

I might be completely wrong, but I thought they got their release because they had a Head Coaching change.

Roughneck93
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I might be completely wrong, but I thought they got their release because they had a Head Coaching change.It was for rules violations. Only Juniors and Seniors though.http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5275644

1st and goal
08-17-2011, 12:47 PM
How about lawsuits against the players accepting it and punitive damages?

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
It was for rules violations. Only Juniors and Seniors though.http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5275644

Cool, it all happened around the same time carrol left so I was confused.

Old Tiger
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
As far aw we know, SMU boosters didn't pay for abortions, prostitutes, and strippers. The "seediness" of the Miami thing is what caught me off guard and it also touched the basketball program. They may not get the "death penalty" but I wouldn't be surprised if they got the "induced coma" penalty.Because SMU players were making enough to pay for all that themselves. ;)

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Sept. 17th. Ohio State @ Miami

loser gets the death penalty :clap:
Winner gets what USC got :clap:

Old Tiger
08-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Sept. 17th. Ohio State @ Miami

loser gets the death penalty :clap:
Winner gets what USC got :clap:DP was talking on his show this morning about the pre-game conversation between the new coaches going something like this

"No we have it worse"
"Nuh huh we have it way worse"

Roughneck93
08-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Sept. 17th. Ohio State @ Miamiloser gets the death penalty :clap: Winner gets what USC got :clap:Lol! Now that would be interesting.

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 07:21 PM
I read up on the death penalty. From what I understand is it can only be used if you are currently on probation from the NCAA for violations. That Alone should keep them safe from that. They are saying 72 players. Wow. What a mess and shalale is going to go down in flames.

shamu85
08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't feel sorry for any of the coaches...even the honest ones, at least they still get paid. I feel sorry for the honest kids, from walk- ons to the scholarship players, who never got paid or took illegal gifts. They will get hammered too in this whole thing. If an athlete is not named in any of the rules infractions, that athlete should be given their release, if they want it, so that they can transfer to another school without penalty or having to sit out.

THIS!!!

This is the part that always pisses me off. The sorry arsed coaches and boosters who are involved don't get much at all and the players get hosed by not being able to go to a bowl or whatever.

NastySlot
08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I read up on the death penalty. From what I understand is it can only be used if you are currently on probation from the NCAA for violations. That Alone should keep them safe from that. They are saying 72 players. Wow. What a mess and shalale is going to go down in flames.

I not too sure but I believe it can be administered at anytime....I'm thinking that it's ony be given once in football (smu)....but a few in times in hoops.

Miami has been sancationed before so if this is serious enough they could get it..........doubt it though.

bobcat4life
08-17-2011, 09:44 PM
So if USC is "breaking bread," what is Miami doing?

RoyceTTU
08-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I not too sure but I believe it can be administered at anytime....I'm thinking that it's ony be given once in football (smu)....but a few in times in hoops.

Miami has been sancationed before so if this is serious enough they could get it..........doubt it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)

We are both correct. Sure NCAA has the ability to ban for extordinary severe cases, but under the "death penalty" AKA "repeater violation" it is within a 5 year prior sanction.

RMAC
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I hate to say it but the only way for the NCAA to retain any sort of credibility, with everything that's happened in the last year regarding rule violations in football, is the death penalty unfortunatey. These slaps on the wrist aren't going to do anything to deter future rule violations one iota. If the NCAA really and truly wants to maintain it's integrity as well as that of the sports programs on the D-1 level they need to send an absolutely, 100% crystal clear message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. To me the NCAA has acted like a step parent with a rebellious teen where the teen (school), says "You're not my real parent and I'm goin to do what I want," and the NCAA continues to tolerate it.

BEAST
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I hate to say it but the only way for the NCAA to retain any sort of credibility, with everything that's happened in the last year regarding rule violations in football, is the death penalty unfortunatey. These slaps on the wrist aren't going to do anything to deter future rule violations one iota. If the NCAA really and truly wants to maintain it's integrity as well as that of the sports programs on the D-1 level they need to send an absolutely, 100% crystal clear message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. To me the NCAA has acted like a step parent with a rebellious teen where the teen (school), says "You're not my real parent and I'm goin to do what I want," and the NCAA continues to tolerate it.

I agree. But, if they hit the U with the death penalty, the U will sue them for all they are worth. The angle will be, why did USC and OSU get a slap on the wrist and we got put to death. The U has been a program that has cheated in the past, but you are fooling yourself if you think those other 2 havent been doing the same thing for years.

BEAST

Buckeye1980
08-18-2011, 11:40 AM
If this does not deserve the death penalty then

1) The death penalty will NEVER be given again

2) SMU got screwed because it recieved the death penalty because the ,to me, is far worse.

"former booster Nevin Shapiro made in a Yahoo Sports article this week. Shapiro, now serving 20 years in federal prison for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, said he provided Miami players with cash, prostitutes, cars and other gifts over the past decade"

TEN years? He was on the sideline, he lead them out of the tunnel? And people want to believe he was the only one involved? GET REAL!!!

bigwood33
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
You put them on 3 years probation with no TV and no bowl games. You reduce their scholarships by 10 the 1st year, 8 the 2nd, and 5 the 3rd. It isn't the death penalty but might as well be. You also hammer their basketball program. Same 3 year probation but reduce scholarships 4, 3, 2...same effect.

Old LB
08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/By-2012-cream-cheese-may-no-longer-be-an-NCAA-v?urn=ncaab-wp4181

What a joke. NCAA has zero control. They should figure out a way to compensate these guys and be done with it.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I still think what SMU did was far worse...that was a system in place with MANY boosters putting money in a fund to pay players..as mentioned before there were signed contracts like pro ones. they were so many involved in tha system it is staggering

As bad as this is, as of now it is still one man who was doing it all.

RoyceTTU
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
You put them on 3 years probation with no TV and no bowl games.

This is where it has to happen. 0 dollars for TV deal and 0 dollars from the conference equal sharing bowl revenue. Until it starts costing the school money, it will never happen.

I think something needs to happen to boosters also but not sure what. I not sure I'm even against a federal law that prohibits the pay to an amature.

trojandad
08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I still think what SMU did was far worse...that was a system in place with MANY boosters putting money in a fund to pay players..as mentioned before there were signed contracts like pro ones. they were so many involved in tha system it is staggering

As bad as this is, as of now it is still one man who was doing it all.

do you really believe that if the coaching staff was so aware of illegal things going on with him there wouldnt have been others? hard to believe only one man with money in miami wanted special treatments at the games....hes only talking because hes in jail, the others arent in jail....

you may be right that hes the only one, but at smu there were many, but one prevalent one in the headlines (i was under graduate there in 78, masters in 82) and we all knew there were many getting money from MANY people while the headlines were announcing one prominent one....i didnt get cash while playing basketball but i got my grad school paid for, at first i thought it was an extension of the school scholarship but found out the start of my junior year the name and address of the man i needed to send a thank you slip to for my last two years of grad school, and he wasnt one named on any of the newspapers....its extremely difficult for a single person to be involved in these efforts....

heck, as clean as john woodens program was, the word got out a few years ago that there was more than sam gilbert aiding his program....

i hope your right its only one guy, but if i HAD to bet my mortgage, id doubt very much its one guy......

Buckeye1980
08-19-2011, 09:44 AM
do you really believe that if the coaching staff was so aware of illegal things going on with him there wouldnt have been others? hard to believe only one man with money in miami wanted special treatments at the games....hes only talking because hes in jail, the others arent in jail....

you may be right that hes the only one, but at smu there were many, but one prevalent one in the headlines (i was under graduate there in 78, masters in 82) and we all knew there were many getting money from MANY people while the headlines were announcing one prominent one....i didnt get cash while playing basketball but i got my grad school paid for, at first i thought it was an extension of the school scholarship but found out the start of my junior year the name and address of the man i needed to send a thank you slip to for my last two years of grad school, and he wasnt one named on any of the newspapers....its extremely difficult for a single person to be involved in these efforts....

heck, as clean as john woodens program was, the word got out a few years ago that there was more than sam gilbert aiding his program....

i hope your right its only one guy, but if i HAD to bet my mortgage, id doubt very much its one guy......

I totally agree

Old Tiger
08-19-2011, 04:12 PM
You put them on 3 years probation with no TV and no bowl games. You reduce their scholarships by 10 the 1st year, 8 the 2nd, and 5 the 3rd. It isn't the death penalty but might as well be. You also hammer their basketball program. Same 3 year probation but reduce scholarships 4, 3, 2...same effect.

I don't think you can ban from TV....just take the revenue they would earn from tv and disburse that amongst the other conference members. Too much money involved to take away from other teams.

BaseballUmp
08-19-2011, 04:39 PM
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3034/ineligibowltatsvstutesl.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/ineligibowltatsvstutesl.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Haha just saw this on twitter

BaseballUmp
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1549/dauboatsnhoeslarge.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/dauboatsnhoeslarge.jpg/)

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3034/ineligibowltatsvstutesl.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/ineligibowltatsvstutesl.jpg/)

Haha just saw this on twitterlmao

Txbroadcaster
08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't think you can ban from TV....just take the revenue they would earn from tv and disburse that amongst the other conference members. Too much money involved to take away from other teams.

Schools can be banned form tV..OSU was during Sanders Heisman year

NastySlot
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Schools can be banned form tV..OSU was during Sanders Heisman year

I believe that U of H was also when Ware won his.

RoyceTTU
08-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't think you can ban from TV....just take the revenue they would earn from tv and disburse that amongst the other conference members. Too much money involved to take away from other teams.If you give th money to the other schools, you are rewarding the others. Also this gives no reason for the conference to police themselves. Having said that I really don't know what to do with the money. Refund it to the network or maybe a general scholy fund.