PDA

View Full Version : David Ash

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
is he the next Colt?.....dont mean will he be as good as him, but will he come out of nowhere and become UT Starting QB

DavidWooderson
08-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Not sure if he'll be starter but if Gilbert struggles I doubt it'll take long to yank him.

Emerson1
08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
is he the next Colt?.....dont mean will he be as good as him, but will he come out of nowhere and become UT Starting QB

I have heard he has been impressive. Do you know how the scrimmage on Saturday went?

shamu85
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I just don't get Garrett Gilbert's struggles. The kid has got skills. i have seen both him and Ash play, and while Ash looked pretty good, too, the poise I saw in Gilbert in HS was very impressive. Gotta wonder if there is something psychological to it now.

Old Tiger
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I just don't get Garrett Gilbert's struggles. The kid has got skills. i have seen both him and Ash play, and while Ash looked pretty good, too, the poise I saw in Gilbert in HS was very impressive. Gotta wonder if there is something psychological to it now.I think he lacks the between the ear skills and the whats in his chest skills.

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
I think he lacks the between the ear skills and the whats in his chest skills.

IMO u dont win multiple State Titles without being smart and having heart..I think for him right now it is simply the fact he has lost his confidence..will he get it back..who knows.

LIONS#1
08-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Gilbert reminds me of Simms for some reason. Highly touted HS QB...struggles as a College player..Hope he does well.

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Gilbert reminds me of Simms for some reason. Highly touted HS QB...struggles as a College player..Hope he does well.

difference is..Simms never truly struggled..he only struggled in the eyes of UT fans who IMO expected to much..Gilbert has truly struggled

eagles_victory
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Reports after UTs Saturday scrimmage had Ash 1 on the depth chart (or QB1 for FNL fans) and Gilbert as 4 this is just insiders from various UT websites so take it for what it is worth. Gilbert threw 2 picks Saturday and Ash looked really good they said. Gilbert still struggling to see linebackers dropping into passing lanes.

shamu85
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM

The kid has brains, but unlike Simms, he's not a stoner.

Sometimes I wonder how he would do if he were throwing to Cade McCrary. Although, with Jaxon Shipley there now, he has a target that will run a great route AND catch the ball. I always thought Gilbert was a sure thing after seeing him play in HS. Very surprising to me.

eagles_victory
08-16-2011, 03:33 PM
After some of the decisions he made last year that may be debatable.

shamu85
08-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Speaking of Mr. Ash. Looks like he is doing quite well.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/08/16/ash_impressing.html

Roughneck93
08-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I have heard he has been impressive. Do you know how the scrimmage on Saturday went?Read this earlier. Looks like Gilbert struggled and Ash was a bright spot. http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/8/15/2363230/garrett-gilbert-struggles-in-texas-scrimmage-saturday

Old Tiger
08-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Sometimes I wonder how he would do if he were throwing to Cade McCrary. Although, with Jaxon Shipley there now, he has a target that will run a great route AND catch the ball. I always thought Gilbert was a sure thing after seeing him play in HS. Very surprising to me.Mike Davis is the clear cut #1 with Darius White/John harris at #2 and Jaxon is slot guy.

The talent level at LT both offensively and defensively helped out GG IMO. Plus the LT system I think was a simple 1 read possibly 2 at most system that disguised GG ability to read defenses and make certain throws.

shamu85
08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Mike Davis is the clear cut #1 with Darius White/John harris at #2 and Jaxon is slot guy.

The talent level at LT both offensively and defensively helped out GG IMO. Plus the LT system I think was a simple 1 read possibly 2 at most system that disguised GG ability to read defenses and make certain throws.

I am pretty sure the LT offense was as complex if not much more complex than Belton's. I don't think that is it at all. It doesn't seem to be about reads on receivers, but more linebackers dropping into coverage. Maybe he has a depth perception problem?

Either way, seems Ash has command of the huddle, too. That certainly can't be overlooked.