PDA

View Full Version : The Truth about ESiPN!

oldtownag
08-16-2011, 09:05 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/806898-sec-realignment-why-is-espn-afraid-of-texas-am

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 09:11 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/806898-sec-realignment-why-is-espn-afraid-of-texas-am

bad article...A&M staying or going has no impact on ESPN..in fact ESPN has a SEC deal so it can easily be said that A&M moving to the SEC would actually help ESPN since actual games can be shown

Also ESPN added the expansion clause to encourage the SEC to expand because ESPN wants the league in more TV markets( like Texas)

oldtownag
08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Nope. Look at articles across the internet. ESPN employees are all naysayers when it comes to A&M and SEC.

oldtownag
08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Also ESPN added the expansion clause to encourage the SEC to expand because ESPN wants the league in more TV markets( like Texas)

That makes no sense. Why would ESPN pay more money to SEC to expand with teams they already have the TV rights with?

ESPN gets the pick of Big 12 games. CBS gets pick of SEC games!

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 09:56 AM
That makes no sense. Why would ESPN pay more money to SEC to expand with teams they already have the TV rights with?

ESPN gets the pick of Big 12 games. CBS gets pick of SEC games!

Because more market share for SEC will create a higher advertising price..SEC commands higher dollars than Big 12

oldtownag
08-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Because more market share for SEC will create a higher advertising price..SEC commands higher dollars than Big 12

Right, so why would ESPN not be in favor of TAMU moving to the SEC?:crazy:

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Right, so why would ESPN not be in favor of TAMU moving to the SEC?:crazy:

my point is ESPN itself does not care..maybe those giving opinion are simply thinking it is a bad move( and alot of people not just those on ESPN feel that way)

rholl
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
"ESiPN" is just more little brother mentality

oldtownag
08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
"ESiPN" is just more little brother mentality

You are the younger sibling!

Old Tiger
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
It is definitely a sub lateral move for A&M. You go from a middle of the pack Big 12 team to immediately becoming a bottom dwelling SEC team right along Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt.

Arkansas and LSU has owned A&M in recent games.

That has been the main points of most talking heads on ESPN regarding A&M on there knees begging to get invited to the SEC.

rholl
08-16-2011, 11:03 AM
You are the younger sibling!

but who acts like it???????

eagles_victory
08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Poor Aggies everyone is against them. Aggies vs the world...

Bleacher report is usually about as credible as an article written on a napkin in crayon.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Bleacher report is usually about as credible as an article written on a napkin in crayon.

This. I once got invited to write for Bleacher Report in college...because I had an e-mail address.

There is a much, much better article about espn, aTm, and the SEC complications that gives an explanation on espn's situation. I'll post if I find it; believe it's already been posted on this site somewhere, though.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-16-2011, 11:38 AM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/how-espn-is-complicating-am-to-sec-deal.php

Very interesting points on this, and well written in comparison.

DavidWooderson
08-16-2011, 01:12 PM
You're also not reading The National Bleacher Report.....you're reading the A&M Bleacher Report Section. Find something that's unbiased.

Macarthur
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
It is definitely a sub lateral move for A&M. You go from a middle of the pack Big 12 team to immediately becoming a bottom dwelling SEC team right along Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt.

Arkansas and LSU has owned A&M in recent games.

That has been the main points of most talking heads on ESPN regarding A&M on there knees begging to get invited to the SEC.

As has been pointed out a million times, this is point makes no difference what so ever. If the powers that be at A&M turn down this offer because they might not win as many football games over the next few years, they all deserve to get fired. Your point and view is short sighted and narrow minded. A&M is looking out for themselves because virtually everyone agrees that in 5 years, the Big 12 will be dead. The same people that are dissing A&M for the move are talking about the Big 12 dying on the vine. Those two positions are not being intellectually consistent.

Last year Nebraska was said to be looking out for their best interest and didn't recieve near the backlash A&M has. Why is that?

And the elephant in the room here about ESPN is the $300 million investment in the LHN. It's true that small picture, it may benefit ESPN if A&M goes to the SEC, but big picture it puts their $300 million investement with the LHN in jeopardy.

Macarthur
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM

This is a very nebulous statement.

Make no mistake, the SEC wants A&M. The total population of all 12 SEC school's hometowns is right at 2 million people COMBINED. Houston is about 2.3 million. There is no question that A&M brings the Texas market and many of it's TV sets into the SEC fold. It gives the SEC much more amunition to negotiate that next TV contract. That doesn't even include all the A&M TV sets in DFW, SA & Austin. Don't forget that A&M is a tier 1 university. The SEC only has two so this is a positive for the SEC from an academic standpoint.

Look, the SEC swings a big enough stick that if they didn't want A&M, this would have never progressed an inch. If you don't think the SEC wants them, you are delusional.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
The total population of all 12 SEC school's hometowns is right at 2 million people COMBINED. Houston is about 2.3 million. There is no question that A&M brings the Texas market and many of it's TV sets into the SEC fold. It gives the SEC much more amunition to negotiate that next TV contract. That doesn't even include all the A&M TV sets in DFW, SA & Austin. Don't forget that A&M is a tier 1 university. The SEC only has two so this is a positive for the SEC from an academic standpoint.

I'm not arguing that pulling in a Texas market would be huge, nor even arguing the SEC's interest. But if you're going to make the population comparison, you need to be apples to apples.

If all 12 of the SEC school's hometowns is right at 2MM, then you can't put in Houston. It's College Station, at 93K. Just a bit of a difference there. And yes, the Houston market will come into play. But if you're putting that in, then you have to look at the nearby markets for each of the schools - Nashville, New Orleans, the entire state of alabama, mississippi, and halfs of georgia, south carolina, and florida, etc. It changes the numbers and comparisons. I don't have those numbers, so I won't act like I know the actuals. But I know the above comparison isn't a solid one to make.

No issues with your points, just the logic used to get there.

shamu85
08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
While not a Longhorn fan necessarily, neither am I necessarily an Aggie or Horned Frog or Red Raider-Bear-Cougar-Miner-Bobcat, etc fan. However, I can't help but wonder why so many Longhorn fans always try to make the point that A&M will be beaten handily by every SEC team save Vanderbilt or Kentucky, yet the still want to say that the Big XII is a tough conference. In fact, I don't recall any SEC teams that Texas has beaten lately either. Maybe Arkansas 4 years ago.

Txbroadcaster
08-16-2011, 05:02 PM
While not a Longhorn fan necessarily, neither am I necessarily an Aggie or Horned Frog or Red Raider-Bear-Cougar-Miner-Bobcat, etc fan. However, I can't help but wonder why so many Longhorn fans always try to make the point that A&M will be beaten handily by every SEC team save Vanderbilt or Kentucky, yet the still want to say that the Big XII is a tough conference. In fact, I don't recall any SEC teams that Texas has beaten lately either. Maybe Arkansas 4 years ago.

Texas has a winning record agianst every SEC team except Vandy and SC( all those game were 1957 and before)...So that argument really does not work...A&M on other hand has played SEC teams( mainly LSU and Arky) on a regular basis and not won since 1995

eagles_victory
08-16-2011, 06:21 PM
While not a Longhorn fan necessarily, neither am I necessarily an Aggie or Horned Frog or Red Raider-Bear-Cougar-Miner-Bobcat, etc fan. However, I can't help but wonder why so many Longhorn fans always try to make the point that A&M will be beaten handily by every SEC team save Vanderbilt or Kentucky, yet the still want to say that the Big XII is a tough conference. In fact, I don't recall any SEC teams that Texas has beaten lately either. Maybe Arkansas 4 years ago. It goes both ways I have seen several Aggies quoting stats about the records between UT and A&M the last 35 years. Why is that relevant in the middle of August?

1st and goal
08-16-2011, 07:38 PM
It goes both ways I have seen several Aggies quoting stats about the records between UT and A&M the last 35 years. Why is that relevant in the middle of August?

I'll be glad when high school football starts. And, when Thanksgiving rolls around.:1popcorn:

coach
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Poor Aggies everyone is against them. Aggies vs the world...

sounds a lot like this site lol

coach
08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
why do texas fans care about where atm's move so much? as i seem to remember Texas is god and can survive without lowly atm.....why cant texas just let atm be and go on about their business

Macarthur
08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not arguing that pulling in a Texas market would be huge, nor even arguing the SEC's interest. But if you're going to make the population comparison, you need to be apples to apples.

If all 12 of the SEC school's hometowns is right at 2MM, then you can't put in Houston. It's College Station, at 93K. Just a bit of a difference there. And yes, the Houston market will come into play. But if you're putting that in, then you have to look at the nearby markets for each of the schools - Nashville, New Orleans, the entire state of alabama, mississippi, and halfs of georgia, south carolina, and florida, etc. It changes the numbers and comparisons. I don't have those numbers, so I won't act like I know the actuals. But I know the above comparison isn't a solid one to make.

No issues with your points, just the logic used to get there.

Those towns you mention aren't as close to campus as A&M is to Houston. Even though, I didn't even add in the numbers for the rest of the state. I think you're splitting hairs. The fact is A&M opens up huge TV markets to the SEC.

trojandad
08-16-2011, 11:01 PM
i dont know for sure, as none of us do, whether it would be a good move for a&m or not to go to the sec, but this i do know, if they made the move, they would be FAR more attractive for a top flight coach to come to than those bottom dwellers spoken of, a&m has far more funds, far more facilities and all one has to do is look at the change in one year when bama hired saban....i just think they would have an easier time finally getting that top flight coach if they are members of the sec.....wouldnt be the first time im wrong, but in college football, the coach is everything.....

Macarthur
08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
i dont know for sure, as none of us do, whether it would be a good move for a&m or not to go to the sec

Why is this NOT a good move. Other than tradition, I find no negative to this.

Especially against the backdrop of the fact that virtually everyone thinks the Big 12 will not exist in 5 years. What are they supposed to do? Just wait around and hope they get taken care of?

1st and goal
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
I read the latest name for LHN.....ESPNmoo

Hey I'm just typing what I read from a newspaper sports columnist.

It is freaking funny tho'.