PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Finland Gold Medal Hockey Game at 1980 Winter Olympics

Phil C
08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
The link below is the first of three parts of the game exactly as televised in 1980. They were posted by dim75dim. The first one is 42min36sec long, the second 42min35sec and the third one is 21min44sec long. I am posting in case some of you don't know about it or would like to see it.
The USA had beaten the USSR two days early and this created a sensation. Most of you may have seen that game on youtube, ESPN classics or elsewhere and there have been movies made about it.
But this game was for the Gold and is often forgotten and is not as well known and not shown as regularly as the Miracle. But it was important also. When the USA beat the USSR we had control of our destiny. Beat Finland and win the Gold. But if we had lost or tied it might have been different and depending on circumstances we may not have got a medal at all. Even though they weren't as good as the Russians Finland also had a good team with an outstanding goalie as you will see and were capable. In fact earlier they had lost to the USSR in a close match 4-2 so this game was not a giveme. In fact after 40 minutes they were ahead 2-1 but thank goodness the game is played 60 minutes. I hope those that are interested enjoy this. I saw it live in 1980 but until now this was one game I could never find. I did have one rare opportunity to watch it on ESPN classics but forgot to record it to watch later and I was never given another chance. Enjoy and GO USA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXDTAS8X34A&feature=related

Phil C
08-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Some background history. SPOILER WARNING - You may want to wait till you see the game before reading this post.

Going into the Olympics the USA lost a warmup game to the USSR a few days before and had been soundly beaten by the Russians 10-3 and it wasn't even that close. There was not optimism even in getting a medal much less winning the gold.

In the first game in our bracket we played Sweden who was to win the Silver and tied it 2-2 with a goal in the last 30
seconds of the game. This was important even though it was a tie because it fired our crowd up and showed we could compete with everyone except maybe the Russians.

In the next game we beat a good Czechoslovakia team 7-3 and our confidence was gaining because Czechoslovakia had a good team.

Then as expected we beat Romania easily 7-2.

We then beat West Germany 4-2 in a closer game than expected but it was a wake up call to play better.

Then we had the four teams enter the medal round with us paired against the USSR and Finland against Sweden.

We had done better than expected but the Russians went into the game perfect and based on that and the exhibition game it was expected that they would whip us and easily the gold. Of course that was the Miracle Game we won 4-3.
Finland and Sweden tied 3-3 but Sweden had the tie breaker and we played Finland and the USSR played Sweden.

We beat Finland 4-2 and won the gold medal while Finland was to get fourth place.

Then the USSR beat Sweden easily 9-2 to get the Silver and Sweden got the Bronze.

Blastoderm55
08-15-2011, 09:11 PM
3A fooball! :mad:

MGAR
08-15-2011, 09:32 PM
3A fooball! :mad:

This.