PDA

View Full Version : Practices in the heat

Old LB
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Brownwood has been praticing in the mornings and getting the kids out of the heat by noon time. A guy I work with has a son playing for Abilene Cooper and they are practicing from 3pm to 5:30pm for their second practice. I can not see how a coach would consider a practice at that time of day in this heat a wise thing. I think there have been 6 or 7 deaths across the nation due to the heat involving players and coaches just this year. Opinions?

Old Tiger
08-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Brownwood has been praticing in the mornings and getting the kids out of the heat by noon time. A guy I work with has a son playing for Abilene Cooper and they are practicing from 3pm to 5:30pm for their second practice. I can not see how a coach would consider a practice at that time of day in this heat a wise thing. I think there have been 6 or 7 deaths across the nation due to the heat involving players and coaches just this year. Opinions?I know its a big deal when a kid dies but 6 or 7 deaths out of hundreds of thousands of kids is not a bad statistic.

I'm not being negative about this but yeah I definitely see your point. By noon is the best time to be done with practice even practices at 6 at night are still well over 100 degrees.

Yoe_09
08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
We normally have practice from 7:30-1:00 but we do have four 4:00-7:00's and one 1:00-4:00

RoyceTTU
08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I think it is Allen or SLC coach that said something to extent of "we will have 5 or 6 games that start in the hottest part of the day so we will practice in the hottest part of the day". I think i read it on TOC. They are also only doing 1 a day practices though.

Pendragon13
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I know its a big deal when a kid dies but 6 or 7 deaths out of hundreds of thousands of kids is not a bad statistic.

I'm not being negative about this but yeah I definitely see your point. By noon is the best time to be done with practice even practices at 6 at night are still well over 100 degrees.If it's 6 or 7 heat related deaths it is a big deal...even out of hundreds of thousands. There are always going to be the kids that have health issues (usually heart related) that aren't diagnosed, but heat related deaths are preventable.

Old Tiger
08-10-2011, 04:12 PM
If it's 6 or 7 heat related deaths it is a big deal...even out of hundreds of thousands. There are always going to be the kids that have health issues (usually heart related) that aren't diagnosed, but heat realted deaths are preventable.They are preventable, yes. I'm not saying its not a big deal at all just that the small percentage of heat related deaths are a good thing to be optimistic about. That there are not more deaths occuring and coaches are being more proactive and forgiving regarding player safety and heat.

Old LB
08-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I know its a big deal when a kid dies but 6 or 7 deaths out of hundreds of thousands of kids is not a bad statistic.

I'm not being negative about this but yeah I definitely see your point. By noon is the best time to be done with practice even practices at 6 at night are still well over 100 degrees.

I guess if it is not your kid, I don't look at it that way though. I would doubt that any coach would want to have a kid die at a practice for any reason. I was just curious if a lot of folks are doing traditional 2 adays or if most have arranged schedules to deal with the heat and what the opinions out there were.

Old LB
08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
If it's 6 or 7 heat related deaths it is a big deal...even out of hundreds of thousands. There are always going to be the kids that have health issues (usually heart related) that aren't diagnosed, but heat related deaths are preventable.

It has been heat related deaths this year, I would have to research to be sure on the exact number but pretty sure 6/7 is a good number. There were 3 players and a coach in the first week, read about another player in Arkansas today.

Looking4number8
08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
They are preventable, yes. I'm not saying its not a big deal at all just that the small percentage of heat related deaths are a good thing to be happy about. Kind of an optimistic look at situation with heat.

In 20 years tell that to your wife when your kids is the "small percantage". If it can be prevented one childs death in a million is a huge deal!

Old Tiger
08-10-2011, 04:19 PM
In 20 years tell that to your wife when your kids is the "small percantage". If it can be prevented one childs death in a million is a huge deal!Check out the revised post you quoted...Its worded better.

Roughneck93
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Columbia's been going from 6am-11am. Then again from 4pm-6pm.

ccmom
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Abilene Wylie's two a days were 7-10:30am and 7:30-9:30pm, but as of yesterday they are only going once a day in pads. I'm sure lots of schools have made schedule adjustments due to this heat. It's scary hot.

eagles_victory
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
What scares me is with teachers in service coming up our coaches hands are tied so we are having to practice 4-6 in the next couple weeks. Hopefully the kids are acclimated enough to it by now where it won't be too bad.

eagleqb_14
08-10-2011, 06:24 PM
more than 6 or 7

trojandad
08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
a few years back under a far inferior regime, the excuse the school gave for not practicing early was the coaches were needed in their teachers groups...we got a prominent trial atty from houston who has a lake home in coldspring to write a letter to the board letting them know that should anything happen to a player, band member, etc due to heat exhaustion simply because teachers couldnt be misput in what hours they spent in their air conditioned rooms, due process would be served.....all of a sudden a stroke of inspiration came over the district.....i was amazed.....:twitch:

LionFan72
08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I hope and pray that no harm comes to any student athletes or band members due to heat exhaustion, it is truly preventable. Any one with an ounce of common sense should consider practice times in these conditions.

That said, remember our troops that are sweltering in much greater heat with no options! God bless our kids, troops, and anyone else struggling with this heat.

wildstangs
08-10-2011, 08:54 PM
We have been going in before teacher inservice, 6:20 AM - 8:45 AM. Got to the field house at 5:00 this morning. Long day!

GrTigers6
08-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Well no matter what they do now they are gonna have to practice after school in two weeks, because obviously they cant practice during school. The coaches and trainers do a good job of watching the players to make sure they are drinking, and give several breaks. They are gonna have to get used to it cause its gonna be hot for the next several weeks

hookandladder
08-11-2011, 06:11 AM
What scares me is with teachers in service coming up our coaches hands are tied so we are having to practice 4-6 in the next couple weeks. Hopefully the kids are acclimated enough to it by now where it won't be too bad.

In service started Monday for La Grange, we are practicing from 4 to 7 right now in pads. Coaches have no choice but to practice in the afternoon, it has not been a problem here.

Additup
08-11-2011, 10:59 PM
... Hopefully the kids are acclimated enough to it by now where it won't be too bad.
DMN cited a national study a few years ago that pointed out every football heat related death in the last 25 years has occurred on the first day of practice or the first day in pads...the article was after the kid from Dallas Carter died on the first day of practice.