PDA

View Full Version : Well, I am changing over to the dark side!

GrTigers6
08-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Well, the black and white side anyway
I am turning in my spectator seat for a zebra striped shirt, yellow flag and whistle. I am now a football official in training. Been wanting to do this for years and had to wait until my kids were grown. So now with one my last one being a senior I figured I would go ahead and get my rookie year out of the way doing subvarsity games so next year I can do as much varsity as they will let me.
I would appreciate any tips, pointers or past experiences that I need to avoid. : )

Gsquared
08-09-2011, 07:34 AM
I am turning in my spectator seat for a zebra striped shirt, yellow flag and whistle. I am now a football official in training. Been wanting to do this for years and had to wait until my kids were grown. So now with one my last one being a senior I figured I would go ahead and get my rookie year out of the way doing subvarsity games so next year I can do as much varsity as they will let me.
I would appreciate any tips, pointers or past experiences that I need to avoid. : )
I officiated for a while but it got in the way of me going to the games I wanted to go to ha. My advice, for the first two years, try to get as many games as you can, 7th, 8th, JV , and even Pee Wee. I learned real quick that I didnt know NEAR as much about football that I thought I knew until I started officiating. The more you can get on the field calling a game, the more you will be exposed to the game and learn.

Gsquared
08-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Oh, and always talk to the coaches (especially in sub varsity level) and let them know what happened and with who on every foul you see. Helps them teach the kids at that level and thats what its about. Txmike would be good to talk to, hes been an official for quite some time.

Dogman_1969
08-09-2011, 07:45 AM
You Over-Officious Jerk!!!! I just wanted to be the first to tell you that. This way you could say you have already been called that by one of your Downlow brothers.....

Good luck on your new adventure...

Dogman.........

GrTigers6
08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
You Over-Officious Jerk!!!! I just wanted to be the first to tell you that. This way you could say you have already been called that by one of your Downlow brothers.....

Good luck on your new adventure...

Dogman.........Well I have officiated baseball for several years at the pony and little league level. So I doubt I could here anything worse than what those parents could come up with. But I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches came up with some good ones.
Oh and for the coaches I have 20/20 vision so don't ask where my glasses are.

Pendragon13
08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
So have you gotten your handicap plates and cane yet? I know a breeder who has some excellent seeing eye dogs if you're interested..:thumbsup:

LionFan72
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Well I have officiated baseball for several years at the pony and little league level. So I doubt I could here anything worse than what those parents could come up with. But I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches came up with some good ones.
Oh and for the coaches I have 20/20 vision so don't ask where my glasses are.

Really???? you think 20/20 helps, hasn't been required the past 50 years, don't sweat it!

trojandad
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM

i volunteered to ump my youngest brothers pony league game his last year playing.....called him out three times at home, including the final out of the game.....the first two could have gone either way, i was just too concerned with being called a homer......the last out was by a mile.....he knew it, all the crowd knew it, i HAD to call it.....my most vivid memory of that last call was seeing him get teary eyed while sliding even before i made the call, as he knew which way it was about to be called.....

.....never umped another game in my life, would give anything if i hadnt umped THAT one.....oh well.....

Pendragon13
08-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Really???? you think 20/20 helps, hasn't been required the past 50 years, don't sweat it!I thought legally blind was a requirement? I could be mistaken though..:thinking:

Trashman
08-09-2011, 04:13 PM

1. Sew your flags in your pocket for the first two years.
2. Always get the number of the player committing the foul.
3. Never be afraid to pick up a flag if you blow a call. (and you will)
4. Communicate with your crew and the coaches.
5. Never touch a coach or a player.
6. Don't get caught up watching the game, especially when your area of responsibility is the line or the secondary.
7. Learn every position in officiating.
8. If someone on your crew makes a bad call. Ask them politely if they are sure about the foul.
9. Leave the field of play in pairs or as a crew, your safety could depend on it.
10. Expose only one flag and never carry more than two. If you have more than two fouls on a play use a bean bag or your hat.
11. At the end of the game remove your whistle from around your neck and put it in your pocket.
12. Keep a good game card.

:)

Old Tiger
08-09-2011, 04:18 PM
better stay off your knees and not blow any games.

BwdLion73
08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
When getting up from the secondary after watching half a crossing route ... say... man that kid is fast.:)

Matthew328
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
I admire you for doing this, we need more good officials. It's a great way to stay involved once your kids have graduated

GrTigers6
08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I admire you for doing this, we need more good officials. It's a great way to stay involved once your kids have graduatedthats exactly what I was thinking, Help me stay in shape as well!

GrTigers6
08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
6. Don't get caught up watching the game, especially when your area of responsibility is the line or the secondary.
8. If someone on your crew makes a bad call. Ask them politely if they are sure about the foul.
9. Leave the field of play in pairs or as a crew, your safety could depend on it.
10. Expose only one flag and never carry more than two. If you have more than two fouls on a play use a bean bag or your hat.
11. At the end of the game remove your whistle from around your neck and put it in your pocket.

:)Thanks, I will keep all that in mind!

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Learn what "the business" is. :D

(http://youtu.be/eslz06J9hFw)
http://youtu.be/eslz06J9hFw

bigwood33
08-09-2011, 05:59 PM

:)
Outstanding advice for sure. I will only add two more things.
1) The obvious, read the rule book...twice. I can guarantee you, that unless you have read it recently, you don't know the rules, just some of them.
2) Never put your hand on your pocket (flag) unless you intend to throw it. Coaches and fans will see this and you don't need the grief.

GrTigers6
08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Learn what "the business" is. :D

(http://youtu.be/eslz06J9hFw)
http://youtu.be/eslz06J9hFwYes i will have to remember that one.;)
And the, "Excuse me for a moment" one from the cowboys game last year as well.

GrTigers6
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
1) The obvious, read the rule book...twice. I can guarantee you, that unless you have read it recently, you don't know the rules, just some of them.
2) Never put your hand on your pocket (flag) unless you intend to throw it. Coaches and fans will see this and you don't need the grief.your right, I have read 3/4 of it and already had several things that made me say, well that changed. lol

Ernest T Bass
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Thank you for doing this. Good officials are getting VERY hard to find. Without y'all, we couldn't do what we do.

mwynn05
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
2) Never put your hand on your pocket (flag) unless you intend to throw it. Coaches and fans will see this and you don't need the grief. you're soooo correct. It's frustrating when a ref doesnt know a rule (ie: in basketball the offensive team can no longer step outside of the baseline when trying to get open... should be whistled as a turn over)

eagleqb_14
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
throw "coach" out of the game first!