PDA

View Full Version : anybody drop retirement plans today?

trojandad
08-08-2011, 05:29 PM
or at least think about it?

man, oh man.....:eek:

SintonFan_inAustin
08-08-2011, 05:30 PM
i cash mine out 7 yrs ago with penalty

bigwood33
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
OMG, are we getting killed or what!? Almost all of my "savings" is invested in mutual fund accounts and, like everyone else, the last couple of weeks have been BRUTAL! To make it worse, I have to pay for my two oldest kids college in the next week or so...the money coming out of these accounts. Needless to say, the loss is a double whammy on me as I will NEVER be able to recoup the loss in value. Their tuition and room and board certainly didn't go down in the same fashion that the market has.
Oh, woe is me!

BaseballUmp
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Bout to have to pay for my last semester...then the loan repayments begin

trojandad
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
OMG, are we getting killed or what!? Almost all of my "savings" is invested in mutual fund accounts and, like everyone else, the last couple of weeks have been BRUTAL! To make it worse, I have to pay for my two oldest kids college in the next week or so...the money coming out of these accounts. Needless to say, the loss is a double whammy on me as I will NEVER be able to recoup the loss in value. Their tuition and room and board certainly didn't go down in the same fashion that the market has.
Oh, woe is me!

talk about blessings coming out of bad times, but last november when my kidneys failed, my adviser convinced me to put almost everything in gold since i had a long hospital stay ahead of me.....i could kiss that guy on the lips after today.....actually after the last few weeks as well.....

Ernest T Bass
08-08-2011, 05:57 PM
I would advise everyone to read the book "The Richest Man in Babylon".

bigwood33
08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
If I didn't have to touch it for about another 15 years, I wouldn't worry but today I worry.

trojandad
08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I would advise everyone to read the book "The Richest Man in Babylon".

was handed 3 books by my great uncle to read as an 18 yr old leaving for college.....how to win friends and influence people by dale carnegie, a king james bible and that book by george clason.....it molded my thoughts, for sure....

bwdlionfan
08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
was handed 3 books by my great uncle to read as an 18 yr old leaving for college.....how to win friends and influence people by dale carnegie, a king james bible and that book by george clason.....it molded my thoughts, for sure....

I pulled mine Friday. I lost a good chunk of change last week, but would have lost a heck of a lot more today.

Sweetwater Red
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Where is a panic button pic when I need it? :eek:

Seriously, I've lost some just as everyone else. But, it was minimal because all my investments are low to moderate risks across the board. Of course I'm not worried about it as much because I won't need mine for another 25 years and surely we'll have a white republican in office before then and that will fix everything. :rolleyes:

trojandad
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Where is a panic button pic when I need it? :eek:

Seriously, I've lost some just as everyone else. But, it was minimal because all my investments are low to moderate risks across the board. Of course I'm not worried about it as much because I won't need mine for another 25 years and surely we'll have a white republican in office before then and that will fix everything. :rolleyes:

im just hoping that in 25 yrs our "office" even exists....

Sweetwater Red
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
im just hoping that in 25 yrs our "office" even exists....
Well if it isn't then that means the world is close to ending and hopefully you are taking a shower with your wife and I'm watching Sweetwater clobber Snyder when it does. :D

jason
08-08-2011, 07:44 PM
i bought 500+ shares of my 'go to' stock today....

the market has at least 35 years to recover before i have to worry about accessing the retirement accounts....

Necked
08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
i bought 500+ shares of my 'go to' stock today....

Ditto. Been saving up for a few months when I realized this was coming. I got triggers set on a handful of stocks...

JJWalker
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Not me ... my main man "the Prez" is gonna make shore my house is paid for, I have some of your cash, and that I can marry some dude who will be my sugar daddy. Oh and take paid vacations on your tab to the hospital of my choice.

I'm going to check in to a Miami hospital for a lil vay kay real soon.

:)

Phil C
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I was planning on retiring in 3 years when I would get my maximum Social Security Benefits plus retirement payments but now (if health and circumstances permit) I may postpone it a little longer.

hookandladder
08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Retiring in 29 months, no doubt about it. Fishing and a little work on the side, not bad for a 50 year old.

trojandad
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Retiring in 29 months, no doubt about it. Fishing and a little work on the side, not bad for a 50 year old.

:iagree:

AP Panther Fan
08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Well that just made me feel good....lol. Paying for college tuition and health insurance won't even allow me to entertain the idea.

I refuse to look at my 401K...heck, it hasn't even recovered from the downturn a few years ago.:dispntd:

bobcat1
08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
:foul:I can tell you this if what I have worked for all my life in retirement and Social Security ain't there when I hit retirement age I am gonna be one mad man. I've paid in all my life and the Idiots and thieves in DC better not be giving it away anymore to them that wouldn't even hit a lick at a dead snake. It makes me want to http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8907/puking.gif

trojandad
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
:foul:I can tell you this if what I have worked for all my life in retirement and Social Security ain't there when I hit retirement age I am gonna be one mad man. I've paid in all my life and the Idiots and thieves in DC better not be giving it away anymore to them that wouldn't even hit a lick at a dead snake. It makes me want to http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8907/puking.gif

you know what i had no idea about until this bout with the kidneys? that renal disease allows you to 1) qualify for full medicare benefits immediately, irregardless of age and 2) access to social security, again, without age consideration.....what i assumed was years away showed up immediately, and according to their literature, renal disease is the only illness allowing immediate acceptance that way, not heart disease, cancer, anything....a high price to pay for benefits, but i sure didnt know that mechanism was in place....have never heard that advertised over the years....

RoyceTTU
08-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Taking another nose dive today :ack!:

hookandladder
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Well that just made me feel good....lol. Paying for college tuition and health insurance won't even allow me to entertain the idea.

I refuse to look at my 401K...heck, it hasn't even recovered from the downturn a few years ago.:dispntd:

I guess starting work for a big company right out of high school has it's advantages, also having good Health Insurance after you retire is big plus.I have money in 401K but not basing my retirement on it, just working on my high five and then start drawing on it. Fish On.

trojandad
08-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Taking another nose dive today :ack!:

sure gettin close to thinking about being a buyer.....