PDA

View Full Version : outside view of houston area teams....

trojandad
08-07-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7686414.html

SHSBulldog00
08-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Good Read

HEMOTOXIC
08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Interesting that Navasota is not considered "Houston Area". A few years ago when the girls made it to the finals in basketball, there was a huge write up about the Lady Rattlers. When I asked the editor why Navasota isn't included in the Houston area, he replied that Navasota, which is about 50 miles north of Houston and 72 miles to downtown Houston, isn't in any of the Houston area districts. I.E. with the likes of Sealy, Stafford, etc... teams that are closer to the city. It was the siltiest excuse that I had ever heard. Lord, do I miss the Houston Post!

I am surprised that they have Sealy ahead of WC.

mwynn05
08-07-2011, 05:20 PM
It's not a silly excuse at all it makes perfect sense to me.

trojandad
08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Interesting that Navasota is not considered "Houston Area". A few years ago when the girls made it to the finals in basketball, there was a huge write up about the Lady Rattlers. When I asked the editor why Navasota isn't included in the Houston area, he replied that Navasota, which is about 50 miles north of Houston and 72 miles to downtown Houston, isn't in any of the Houston area districts. I.E. with the likes of Sealy, Stafford, etc... teams that are closer to the city. It was the siltiest excuse that I had ever heard. Lord, do I miss the Houston Post!

I am surprised that they have Sealy ahead of WC.

while im tickled to be #1 in their poll, i dont forget that the same writer had cleveland ahead of us all year and predicted they would beat us last year, so its not surprising to me to see them not include you guys as houston area....they write these articles just because their editors make them, not out of extreme knowledge of the area.....

Roughneck93
08-07-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7686414.html

Nice little write up. That Blake Herman from Needville is fun to watch.

trojandad
08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice little write up. That Blake Herman from Needville is fun to watch.

i think needville is gonna be a tough out this year....with liberty and bridge city making noise, too.....if that liberty qb had more around him hed be dangerous, the guy was 6'5" last year as a soph and is still supposedly growing....

Roughneck93
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
i think needville is gonna be a tough out this year....with liberty and bridge city making noise, too.....if that liberty qb had more around him hed be dangerous, the guy was 6'5" last year as a soph and is still supposedly growing....

Yeah Needville is one to never take lightly. I expect good things from BC, I also think that Columbus might make a goon run.

HEMOTOXIC
08-07-2011, 07:18 PM
It's not a silly excuse at all it makes perfect sense to me.

So, give it to me.

How can a town less than an hour away that has always been considered "Houston Area" not be. Either you are or you aren't. I understand that a team might not be in a district with Sealy, Stafford, etc, but the town didn't all of a sudden move its location. Either you are in the Houston area or you aren't. Like I said, it is the most silliest excuse that I have ever heard.

In that case, why cover the Aggies or Longhorns? Neither share a conference with a Houston area team. The Houston Chronicle is a JOKE!

trojandad
08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
So, give it to me.

How can a town less than an hour away that has always been considered "Houston Area" not be. Either you are or you aren't. I understand that a team might not be in a district with Sealy, Stafford, etc, but the town didn't all of a sudden move its location. Either you are in the Houston area or you aren't. Like I said, it is the most silliest excuse that I have ever heard.

In that case, why cover the Aggies or Longhorns? Neither share a conference with a Houston area team. The Houston Chronicle is a JOKE!

arent you guys closer to houston than we are? i always considered us east texas due to all our piney woods and national forests, but i got educated on that last year....lol

mwynn05
08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
fiscally.... if you were in a distirct with other schools in the houston area they would cover navasota but you aren't and navasota is 3a which 90% of chronicle subscribers could not care any less about... papers are dying they arent going to cover a 3a school 70 miles away when they are the closest team in that district to houston. youre lucky the chronicle even covers 3a at all.. the star telegram doesnt

HEMOTOXIC
08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
fiscally.... if you were in a distirct with other schools in the houston area they would cover navasota but you aren't and navasota is 3a which 90% of chronicle subscribers could not care any less about... papers are dying they arent going to cover a 3a school 70 miles away when they are the closest team in that district to houston. youre lucky the chronicle even covers 3a at all.. the star telegram doesnt

Hey, I hear what you are saying. I am not asking for some special coverage for Navasota. I am just asking that the Rattlers be included in the Houston area. I remember when Navasota was covered as a Houston area team.
And, you are absolutely right about newspapers dying. Overall, the Chronicle needs help in the sports department, JMHO.

mwynn05
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
its all about subscriptions though... and the fact that the Eagle is a rather large paper its kind of unnecessary for the chronicle to cover navasota as well because the chronicle isnt going to benefit from covering navasota

OldBison75
08-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Navasota may not be a "Houston area" team, but when they do the area rankings during the actual season, they always include Navasota in those rankings. And the Chronicle does cover 3A football every week. At least 15 games are featured and have write-ups every week from local school reporters.

trojandad
08-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Navasota may not be a "Houston area" team, but when they do the area rankings during the actual season, they always include Navasota in those rankings. And the Chronicle does cover 3A football every week. At least 15 games are featured and have write-ups every week from local school reporters.

do you think navasota deserves to be in the chronicle's top 5, or do you think they left them out because of location? cause i definitely feel they belong....

HEMOTOXIC
08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
do you think navasota deserves to be in the chronicle's top 5, or do you think they left them out because of location? cause i definitely feel they belong....

I do believe that they belong. When you are looking at location, Navasota is 45 minutes right up highway 6 from North Houston... No different than the distance of Coldspring (55 miles) to Houston. The difference that I received for the Houston Chronicle is that Navasota doesn't play in a district that has 3A teams that are closer to the Houston area. All that I am saying is that Navasota has always been covered in the "Houston Area". I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with subscriptions. If Navasota were to join Bellville, Sealy, etc in district again, Navasota would then be back in the "Houston Area" because Sealy is considered to be in the "Houston Area".

HEMOTOXIC
08-08-2011, 08:47 AM
OK, I am done with this. Hopefully, someone understands exatly what I am saying. I am not asking for any special coverage, etc. Navasota and Brenham are the same distance from Houston. The difference is that Brenham plays in the district with Houston schools. Here is an article from today's Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7687431.html

mwynn05
08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
OK, I am done with this. Hopefully, someone understands exatly what I am saying. I am not asking for any special coverage, etc. Navasota and Brenham are the same distance from Houston. The difference is that Brenham plays in the district with Houston schools. Here is an article from today's Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7687431.htmlexactly