PDA

View Full Version : Football games starting at 8pm

orange machine
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Over on another board they are discussing starting games at 8 vs 7:30. I know back in the day non district games started at 8, I think it would be a great idea to move the game back 30 minutes because of the heat. The temp will still be high but the sun won't be beating down as much and it gives fans a little extra time to get to the game. What's your thoughts and is this something the AD's can have done?

jason
08-04-2011, 03:09 PM
why not 6am on saturday morning until temps aren't in the 100's....

30 minutes won't make any difference...

Gsquared
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Over on another board they are discussing starting games at 8 vs 7:30. I know back in the day non district games started at 8, I think it would be a great idea to move the game back 30 minutes because of the heat. The temp will still be high but the sun won't be beating down as much and it gives fans a little extra time to get to the game. What's your thoughts and is this something the AD's can have done?
I love the way the used to start non-district games at 8. Id love for them to go back to it, just for the fact of if im working that Friday and cant leave work till 4, I still got 4 hours to get to whatever game im going to.

orange machine
08-04-2011, 03:17 PM

It will make a difference the players and fans won't be exposed to the sun as long. There is a huge difference between 110 in the sun and 105 out of the sun. Also they won't be exposed as long to the sun, I would have no problem with them moving the games to 8:30.

Gsquared
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
It will make a difference the players and fans won't be exposed to the sun as long. There is a huge difference between 110 in the sun and 105 out of the sun. Also they won't be exposed as long to the sun, I would have no problem with them moving the games to 8:30.
I get sleepy by 10 so 8:30 is to late for me. I vote for 8

Txbroadcaster
08-04-2011, 03:31 PM

depending on stadium 30 mins is huge..here at our house at 7:00 every night sun is hitting our pool and it is 100-105 at moment..at 7:30 when sun goes behind trees temp drops to 95-98...that is a huge difference

BaseballUmp
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Nothing happens the first 30 minutes of the game anyways

eagles_victory
08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Also with small towns and small stadiums it makes a difference when you have to get there early. Last year in Teague we had to get there at 630 for a 730 game and it was ridiculous hot. My friend was full term pregnant but she stuck it out to watch the game. What a trooper.

Old Tiger
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
don't mess with it...kids don't need more of a reason to be a wuss.

If they wouldn't sit inside all summer out of the heat they wouldn't be effected by it. I know when I played I wasn't stuck in the house all summer so the heat didn't bother me at 2 a days and games.

Gsquared
08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Also with small towns and small stadiums it makes a difference when you have to get there early. Last year in Teague we had to get there at 630 for a 730 game and it was ridiculous hot. My friend was full term pregnant but she stuck it out to watch the game. What a trooper.
Was the baby a boy or a girl? I like babys but only after a few weeks after they are born. Newborns look like a wadded up sponge. They are cute after that stage though.

zebrablue2
08-04-2011, 06:34 PM

that was my thought, just come on in 30 min. late:)

Maroon87
08-04-2011, 06:42 PM

That reminds me of when I was little, I was going to a game with my parents and we were running late. My Dad said "don't worry, we'll just miss the kickoff. Nothing ever happens on the kickoff."

We get to our seats and find out one of our guys ran the opening kick 102 yds for a TD.

TexMike
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Many schools in the SA area have 7PM kickoffs this year. While that was always the norm for Thursday games, they are

spreading that to Friday games this year.

Emerson1
08-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Many schools in the SA area have 7PM kickoffs this year. While that was always the norm for Thursday games, they are

spreading that to Friday games this year.
It's not like it will be 110 until December.

hollywood
08-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Would help for the first 4-5 games fo sho... but, only as long as there's a Whataburger to grab something after the game!

WildTexan972
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM

many Celina games are good as over within the first 30 minutes....so just drive by and see the scoreboard and save the parking/walk process if you miss the early part of the game....

XMan
08-05-2011, 12:43 PM
How bout like they did in the old days when they didnt start football till at least the middle of Aug. Start practice 2 weeks later, that would make a big difference. WAY, WAY back in the 50s and earlier, the season didnt get going till Sept. It seems that every year the season starts earlier and ends later. Football is meant to be played when its cool, not 105.

coach
08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
hell, you prob think football shouldn't be played at all

eagleqb_14
08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
i think the sun being gone would help a little, but id like it to be played at 8

XMan
08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I love me some football but its stupid to play when its so hot.

hollywood
08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
many Celina games are good as over within the first 30 minutes....so just drive by and see the scoreboard and save the parking/walk process if you miss the early part of the game....

nm:crazy:

Review Celina's strength of schedule. :iagree:

sotex
08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Isn't this discussion about football games? We aren't talking about standing around watering dirt.

Phil C
08-05-2011, 03:48 PM
That reminds me of when I was little, I was going to a game with my parents and we were running late. My Dad said "don't worry, we'll just miss the kickoff. Nothing ever happens on the kickoff."

We get to our seats and find out one of our guys ran the opening kick 102 yds for a TD.

Hey Maroon I had some friends that went to their son's junior high football game a few years ago and the Dad had to stop (to the objections of his wife) and get some natchos. He had his camcorder with him. Sure enough the game started before they got to their seats and their son returned the opening kickoff for a td. They had to disappoint their son who thought it was recorded and tell him they missed it because Dad had to stop for natchos. Natchos are still with us but they missed a rare opportunity of filming their son returning a kickoff for a td. Of course this was on Dad and not the starting time of the game.

Phil C
08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I got my season ticket today and Sinton's kickoff times are 7:30 P.M. I wouldn't object if they moved the first few games to 8 P.M. as long as it is published in the local paper.