PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best baseball facility in 3A?

VWG
01-13-2004, 08:13 AM
What schools have a top notch baseball facility?
Not just the field, but something besides just a couple of 20 row set of aluminum bleachers.
Does your field have covered bleachers that would compare to a college field? Does it have a "monster wall", with a big scoreboard?
What's the seating capacity?

jason
01-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Forney has brand new stadium, brand new gym, 70 yard indoor practice facility with weight room and astro-play artificial turf...VERY NICE....baseball field at old high school is verry nice and the new one will probably top the old one...

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: jason ]</small>

vet93
01-13-2004, 09:10 AM
I have heard that Graham's is very nice...VWG...you may have more insight than me on that one.

onfirebball05mustang
01-13-2004, 10:10 AM
i don't think ours is the BEST out there, but it's very nice, small and simple, much like our town/school! :-)

WoodvilleFan
01-13-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't know if any of you have ever been to Hennigan Park where Woodville plays but it is great. They have Green Monster wall in a short left field. The field is maintained year round. Seperate batting cages for home and visitor. Dugouts are open front and at field level. The field is below grade with covered stands that go down both baselines. Plenty of seating and parking. Great concession stand. The facility has 2 big league parks and 4 smaller fields. The District 12 Little League holds thier tournament there.

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: WoodvilleFan ]</small>

spiveyrat
01-13-2004, 12:24 PM
WoodvilleFan:
I don't know if any of you have ever been to Hennigan Park where Woodville plays but it is great. They have Green Monster wall in a short left field. The field is maintained year round. Seperate batting cages for home and visitor. Dugouts are open front and at field level. The field is below grade with covered stands that go down both baselines. Plenty of seating and parking. Great concession stand. The facility has 2 big league parks and 4 smaller fields. The District 12 Little League holds thier tournament there.Is that the same field that backs up to Hwy 190 out west of town? I don't remember it being that nice. I DO remember inching one over that left field fence, though. :D

Have they done some renovations?

spiveyrat
01-13-2004, 12:26 PM
I haven't actually seen Jasper's, but I've heard it's pretty nice. Someone who has been will have to give testament to that.

WoodvilleFan
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
spiveyrat:

WoodvilleFan:
I don't know if any of you have ever been to Hennigan Park where Woodville plays but it is great. They have Green Monster wall in a short left field. The field is maintained year round. Seperate batting cages for home and visitor. Dugouts are open front and at field level. The field is below grade with covered stands that go down both baselines. Plenty of seating and parking. Great concession stand. The facility has 2 big league parks and 4 smaller fields. The District 12 Little League holds thier tournament there.Is that the same field that backs up to Hwy 190 out west of town? I don't remember it being that nice. I DO remember inching one over that left field fence, though. :D

Have they done some renovations?Yes, the park is on 190 west but they have built another field for the high school on the other side you can't see it from the hiway. I think it is about 5 years old. The field is named for that lawyer Walter Umphrey. I think he has given about $75,000. for upgrades to the park. The field you are talking about is the old field. It is used for Big League and tournaments only.

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: WoodvilleFan ]</small>

WoodvilleFan
01-13-2004, 01:18 PM
spiveyrat:
I haven't actually seen Jasper's, but I've heard it's pretty nice. Someone who has been will have to give testament to that.Jasper has a nice facility also. Could use a little more seating though. It was SRO when Woodville went over there last year. Great field

Wayupnorth
01-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Alpine (way out near El Paso) has a field that is supposed to be a smaller version of Yankee Stadium. Talked to people who have seen it and said it is beautiful. Other than that, Snyder has the BEST facility hands down. The infield turfgrass came from the old Texas Ranger Field (pre-Ballpark era) it is really a joy to take in a game in Snyder.

Keith7
01-13-2004, 01:33 PM
no i gurentee there is no baseball field nicer then Gainesville's in 3A..

It was the home to a minor league team in the 50's, I wish i had pictures but i couldnt find any on the web.. but ask anyone from around this area about Locke Feild and they will tell you how beautiful it really is

3afan2K3
01-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Forney is about to have some really nice fields

next generation
01-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Lorena has a pretty nice softball/baseball complex.

Brahma73
01-13-2004, 10:35 PM
In our district, Bellville has an infield to die for. It's solid grass with base cut-outs and it's like your living room carpet. The rest still needs improvement.

For the whole package, Columbus' new stadium is really sweet. Their softball field is top notch, as well.

wildstangs
01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Wayupnorth:
Alpine (way out near El Paso) has a field that is supposed to be a smaller version of Yankee Stadium. Talked to people who have seen it and said it is beautiful. Other than that, Snyder has the BEST facility hands down. The infield turfgrass came from the old Texas Ranger Field (pre-Ballpark era) it is really a joy to take in a game in Snyder.I agree, Snyder is the nicest one around the Big Country. Great Atmosphere and a great park.

Bell_06
01-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Brahma73:
In our district, Bellville has an infield to die for. It's solid grass with base cut-outs and it's like your living room carpet. The rest still needs improvement.

For the whole package, Columbus' new stadium is really sweet. Their softball field is top notch, as well.I have to agree.. Bellville's Baseball field would be hard to beat anywhere... would be nice if we could say the same about our girls field.. it would really be nice if the girls had a field that was even on the site of the main campus. What about the rest of the schools that stated that they had top notch baseball fields... are your girl's field equal??

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Bell_06 ]</small>

SintonFan
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Sinton's field is fixin to upgrade. They have a junior traveling team coming to town for a year or two and an owner who will invest in the facilities. Sinton has always played and practiced with modest grounds but it's gonna get better soon. Good going Pirates! :cool:

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

VWG
01-14-2004, 05:41 PM
vet93:
I have heard that Graham's is very nice...VWG...you may have more insight than me on that one.Graham has an excellent facilty, and was a main reason that they were able to draw one of the Texas Collegiate Baseball league teams here.
Several playoff games are played there, mostly 4A and below due to the lack of 5A schools in the area. I know if you polled several Region I coaches in any classification they would say that the Graham facility is one of the best in the state. I think, but just guessing, that the capacity would have to be around 1,500 to 2,000 for seating, and covered.

hsfan
01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
barbers hill just built a stadium it is really nice.they are refurbishing the girls also.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-14-2004, 09:58 PM
To add to the comments about Bellville's Baseball field (Knight Field) named after the late Rev, Knight. The coach always has his field in top notch shape, I went by the other day and the field looked like a well grown golf green. The Musco lighting is 4 years old, and the new out field fence is finish and looks great, a 8 ft green metal fence spans the outfield, with a 20 ft wall in center. The new fully digital 10 inning score board will be up and running by game time. The dugouts are all enclosed cement structure, with the front half way open, at the top. The only thing in need for the field is the grandstands, with a press box, and that is on the way for next year. The stands, and press box there now are in need of replaceing.

LowDownDawg
01-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Alpine is now 2A, but play along anyway. Kokernot Field was built a good while back by Herbert Kokernot for his "professional" team, the Cowboys. It has been featured in Sports Illustrated, and went through a renovation in the middle 80's. It prolly holds 2500 fans in fold down seats that are covered. The dugouts are sunken, with one dugout having access to the locker room underneath the stadium. It's 340 down the lines, 370 to the power alleys and 400 to dead center with a 30' wall, so they have a short list of players that have taken it over the "green monster". Twin Peaks, a couple of mountains are over the right field wall. Its a great evening at the ballpark when the lights come on. If you are ever out in the Big Bend area, go check it out. It's worth it.

Bell_06
01-16-2004, 01:06 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
To add to the comments about Bellville's Baseball field (Knight Field) named after the late Rev, Knight. The coach always has his field in top notch shape, I went by the other day and the field looked like a well grown golf green. The Musco lighting is 4 years old, and the new out field fence is finish and looks great, a 8 ft green metal fence spans the outfield, with a 20 ft wall in center. The new fully digital 10 inning score board will be up and running by game time. The dugouts are all enclosed cement structure, with the front half way open, at the top. The only thing in need for the field is the grandstands, with a press box, and that is on the way for next year. The stands, and press box there now are in need of replaceing.Yep we just love our boys in Bellville.. only the very best for them.. just today I had a local umpire stop me at the grocery store and state that the girls fields were in his opinion actually dangerous. Wouldn't it be great if he refused to allow a game to continue based on that belief. Both the AD and Super have told me that "if" the community would pass the bond issue that has been voted down several times that then and only then the girls would have a field that was located on school grounds. But a grandstand with a press box for the final touch I think is quite appropriate for the guys.

areacode337
01-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Not a 3A high school but a team that would and has beaten most 3A around has the nicest park....Weimar Wildcats....Someone else could give more history...But a beautiful facility...Lots of history....Walls and new bleachers and sunken dugouts...Old Minor league park I believe.

hound22
01-16-2004, 05:03 PM
I have been to many ball parks and the best high school field period any level is Snyder (moffet field). If you consider the grass, warning tracks, wall, stands, duggouts, etc. Its the best hands down.

Old Cardinal
01-16-2004, 06:15 PM
The overall best facilities are at the 4A schools that dropped down to 3A, statewide. There is a lot of difference in athletic facilities of 2As moving up and 4As moving down.

GHSlepfan
01-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey Keith,
Not to mention it was used by the North Central Texas College for years. It also has covered bleachers, true dugouts, huge batting cages, a bullpen and a big scoreboard. Truly a beautiful field.