PDA

View Full Version : The Texas Heat

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I know alot of people will say man up and deal with it..but I think this year we are going to see teams truly change things because of this heat wave and it will effect the first couple of weeks of football come the season because teams will not have gotten as much work in...thoughts?

MGAR
08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
For us we are lucky to be able to get good workouts at the indoor... Other schools don't have that luxury.

I read where Matt said something about Everman having to change their practice up yesterday afternoon because the heat. Weights and meetings is what they did.

It irks me when someone says to man up this, suck it up that. Thing are different now than they were back then. GA Moore has already said this is as hot has he ever remembers it being and he has been around for years.

BEAST
08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Our guys are off the field by noon. They may go in the big room and continue working or lift weights. I dont know for sure what they do but I know Coach Shipley is getting them off of the field by noon. I think it is smart. No reason to take a chance.

BEAST

FB-fanatic
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I happened to be off from work yesterday (not by design but by accident) and went to watch 2-a-days at 10:00 am. Lorena is doing the 1-a-day thing. As much as I like to watch football, I bailed out; it was too darn hot.

I felt if I was a coach, I would have to seriously think about alternatives to the 7:00am-12:00 workout. Maybe literally come in at 4:00am and go to 9:00am. Something to avoid the heat. I also thought about the few 3a teams which had indoor options. Would that hurt them at all when it comes time to scrimmage or play?

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Our guys are off the field by noon. They may go in the big room and continue working or lift weights. I dont know for sure what they do but I know Coach Shipley is getting them off of the field by noon. I think it is smart. No reason to take a chance.

BEAST

agree 100%..better to be safe than prove something

Cam
08-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I stopped by the practice field around 10am...turned off the car, lowered the windows, raised the windows, turned on the car, and hit the AC.....went to work....all in about 3 minutes time.....

Pendragon13
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I happened to be off from work yesterday (not by design but by accident) and went to watch 2-a-days at 10:00 am. Lorena is doing the 1-a-day thing. As much as I like to watch football, I bailed out; it was too darn hot.

I felt if I was a coach, I would have to seriously think about alternatives to the 7:00am-12:00 workout. Maybe literally come in at 4:00am and go to 9:00am. Something to avoid the heat. I also thought about the few 3a teams which had indoor options. Would that hurt them at all when it comes time to scrimmage or play?Wylie has an indoor practice facility, but it isn't airconditioned. I'm not sure outdoors wouldn't be better..

GrTigers6
08-02-2011, 02:51 PM

I felt if I was a coach, I would have to seriously think about alternatives to the 7:00am-12:00 workout. Maybe literally come in at 4:00am and go to 9:00am. Something to avoid the heat. I also thought about the few 3a teams which had indoor options. Would that hurt them at all when it comes time to scrimmage or play?Problem with that is money to pay for lights.

MGAR
08-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Saw on the Twitter world that schools all around the state have reported that field temps are in the 120s... Geez, that's hot.

poisoned10
08-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Gilmer used to have a morning practice and then a practice at night. Nothing during the middle of the day.

Roughneck93
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Saw on the Twitter world that schools all around the state have reported that field temps are in the 120s... Geez, that's hot.

I bet. With more and more schools going with an artificial surface, fields will be HOT!

Matthew328
08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/01/3262332/heat-dominates-first-day-of-high.html

hollywood
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Gilmer used to have a morning practice and then a practice at night. Nothing during the middle of the day.

Although it's dang hot and I'm tired of this triple digit heat, kids today are a lot softer than in the past. It's no surprise. What else is there to do when smart phones, video games and satellite TV rule the world. This is not the hottest summer on record. But still, all precautions need to be taken!!

bigwood33
08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Our DC's son is the AD/HC at Van Alstyne. He said that it was 142 on the field (turf) yesterday. They have 1 small grass field that is usually the domain of the linemen but this week, he is trying to push most of practice to it.

Matthew328
08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Turf increases temp's by at least 20 degress..having it is great for maintenence etc but trying to practice on it is not fun...you are basically cooking on both sides....back in the olden days that stuff either wasn't around or only very few had it

MGAR
08-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Although it's dang hot and I'm tired of this triple digit heat, kids today are a lot softer than in the past. It's no surprise. What else is there to do when smart phones, video games and satellite TV rule the world. This is not the hottest summer on record. But still, all precautions need to be taken!!

I agree..

Might not be the hottest summer....yet but towns across the state will hit highest temps ever.

MGAR
08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
As of 3PM in Tyler the temp was 110... High ever there is 111...

BaseballUmp
08-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Blame the parents then, not us

Phil C
08-02-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEzTC22R9E

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Football-teams-try-to-defend-against-heat-1690433.php

raider red 2000
08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
sure its hot, but i bet more band kids fall out than football kids from this heat.

BTW- I watched some practice yesterday.....it was hot....but my office seemed hotter....AC not working to bueno.

bigwood33
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't know about Tyler but the humidity in NCT is extremely low, which is conducive to extremely high temps. Right now, it is 109 with 20% humidity in Whitesboro (just looked a Weatherbug App). BTW, I was at our practices today and this morning the boys went from 8:15 to 10:15 and when we walked off of the field it was 96 but there was a little breeze and with no humidity, it wasn't too bad. The later practice, 11:40 to 1:40, was hotter and the breeze laid down so it was much more uncomfortable.

lostaussie
08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
5:40 in the afternoon. Temp in Gilmer a blistering 111. That really sucks for everyone!!!

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Most of our kids participate in PAC over the summer, either 7-9a or 6-8p. My son has been lifeguarding a lot during the day in the heat of the day. Sure, it's hot...dang hot!

If the fat old lady can do boot camp outdoors twice a week from 10-11a, suck-it-up and get through it, then I'm going to bet most of the kids will be a-okay.

We've had 7a-noonish 2-a-days for years, with an hour or so break during the middle. Our trainer and coaches make certain that there are water breaks every 10-15 minutes. And the kid trainers are always ready with bottles in between the breaks.

SintonFan
08-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Hopefully we'll see an early winter. :)

Blastoderm55
08-02-2011, 09:13 PM
The heat claimed the life of a coach yesterday. Be careful out there guys and gals.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/126576953.html

eagleqb_14
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM
fairfield starts about 7 and ends at 10, then they go lift weights and watch film, got in the car at 9:20 and it was 101 degrees

sweetwater07
08-03-2011, 04:59 AM
what are the temps looking like around Texas? Its around 106-107 in Afghanistan right now

hollywood
08-03-2011, 08:57 AM
109 in Stephenville yesterday. It was 81 friggen degrees at 4:30 this morning on my 10 mile run. Crazy!

Emerson1
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM

I felt if I was a coach, I would have to seriously think about alternatives to the 7:00am-12:00 workout. Maybe literally come in at 4:00am and go to 9:00am. Something to avoid the heat. I also thought about the few 3a teams which had indoor options. Would that hurt them at all when it comes time to scrimmage or play?
Those things are still at least 90 degrees inside while it's 110 out. All most of them are is big aluminum buildings. It blocks the sun, but you can't get a good breeze either. Don't think it will hurt teams because it's not like they are in an 80* AC cooled building.

slingshot
08-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Although it's dang hot and I'm tired of this triple digit heat, kids today are a lot softer than in the past. It's no surprise. What else is there to do when smart phones, video games and satellite TV rule the world. This is not the hottest summer on record. But still, all precautions need to be taken!!Soooo... when was it hotter? I'm 52 and lived in Texas all my life--honestly do not remember a summer this hot... 50+ days over 100 so far. Old record was 46... and we've still got August to go.

Pick6
08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
1980 is still the hottest summer on record. 1980 had the highest number of 100 degree days, around 69 days, and also the most consecutive 100 degree days, i think 42 days. High temps in N Texas, recorded at DFW, was 113 then.

orange machine
08-03-2011, 09:57 AM
It's sad when 100 degrees doesn't seem all that hot.

bobcat1
08-03-2011, 10:11 AM
1980 is still the hottest summer on record. 1980 had the highest number of 100 degree days, around 69 days, and also the most consecutive 100 degree days, i think 42 days. High temps in N Texas, recorded at DFW, was 113 then. I got real close to a heat stroke that year working outside. I will never forget it.

BaseballUmp
08-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Does it really matter what the temperature is? If it's hot, it's freakin hot!

hollywood
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Yep, 1980. I still remember when I was a kid climbing in my grandpa's truck that summer in Carrizo Springs, TX with a trailer load of cattle about to head back to Central Texas. We stopped at a little store for a RC and bag of peanuts. The fella in the store said it was 112 degrees. No A/C all the way back home. Now that was hot.

hollywood
08-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Texas Temperature Records

Hottest temperature ever recorded: 120 F, Seymour, northwestern Texas, 8/12/1936:eek:
Coldest temperature ever recorded: -23 F, Seminole, western Texas, 2/8/1933:ack!:
Hottest location ranked by highest average annual temperature: Edinburg, southern Texas, 74.8 F
Coldest location ranked by lowest average annual temperature: Stratford, Texas Panhandle, 55.0 F

Old LB
08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I drove from St. Louis MO. to Brownwood yesterday, the temps were 109-112 most of the afternoon. Last night I was stuck in traffic in downtown Dallas at 10:30pm and the temp. showed to be 102! This is starting to get stupid.

Steer81
08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
The Heat is rough! I went out to watch the Steers and they seem to have a handle on things keeping a eye on the kids. Seems is hard to get a lot of work done due to stopping to let everyone get a drink and chill a bit but I would must rather see that than push them to much. Steers are doing 1 a days here. 6:30 to noon with a break in the middle to rest some. Heck we have not seen Heat this bad around here since the NBA Finals!

Pick6
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I got real close to a heat stroke that year working outside. I will never forget it.

Dad lost most of his hair that year, he blamed it on the heat...lol

BaseballUmp
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
The Heat is rough! I went out to watch the Steers and they seem to have a handle on things keeping a eye on the kids. Seems is hard to get a lot of work done due to stopping to let everyone get a drink and chill a bit but I would must rather see that than push them to much. Steers are doing 1 a days here. 6:30 to noon with a break in the middle to rest some. Heck we have not seen Heat this bad around here since the NBA Finals!

I see what you did there

AP Panther Fan
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I hope we don't start having "rolling outages" like last year. What was supposed to be no more than 45 minutes long lasted for almost two hours.

Txbroadcaster
08-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope we don't start having "rolling outages" like last year. What was supposed to be no more than 45 minutes long lasted for almost two hours.

already announced that would happen and has happend

AP Panther Fan
08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
already announced that would happen and has happend

ugh...

They certainly make you realize how much you rely on a computer to do your job. I just remembered....the rolling outage we had last year was during the winter rather than the summer.

orange machine
08-03-2011, 12:43 PM
It's sad when 100 degrees doesn't seem all that hot.

Aesculus gilmus
08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
This thread needs some global warming jokes:

"Experts say this global warming is serious, and they are predicting now that by the year 2050, we will be out of party ice." --David Letterman

"Former Vice President Al Gore starring in a new documentary about global warming. I believe it's called [Leno snores]. ... The film actually features Al Gore and explores his journey on how he first got interested in temperature change. It started back when he was vice president. He noticed how the temperature would change, like whenever Bill would walk into the room, it would get warm and whenever Hillary walked into the room, it got cold." --Jay Leno

"Arnold Schwarzenegger is blaming man for global warming. And today, Al Gore agreed with him. That's so typical. Two cyborgs, 'Oh, let's blame the humans.'" --Jay Leno

"According to Time magazine, global warming is 33% worse than we thought. You know what that means? Al Gore is one-third more annoying than we thought." --Jay Leno

"At a press conference yesterday NASA announced that 2005 was the hottest year on record. It is so hot, and global warming is so bad, if the presidential election were held today, Al Gore would still lose." --Jay Leno

"Yesterday, a group of scientists warned that because of global warming, sea levels will rise so much that parts of New Jersey will be under water. The bad news? Parts of New Jersey won't be under water." --Conan O'Brien

"Barbra Streisand told Diane Sawyer that we're in a global warming crisis, and we can expect more and more intense storms, droughts and dust bowls. But before they act, weather experts say they're still waiting to hear from Celine Dion." --Jay Leno

"Governor Schwarzenegger spoke about the dangers of global warming. Schwarzenegger's exact words were: fire, hot, bad." --Conan O'Brien

poisoned10
08-03-2011, 02:59 PM
"Yesterday, a group of scientists warned that because of global warming, sea levels will rise so much that parts of New Jersey will be under water. The bad news? Parts of New Jersey won't be under water." --Conan O'Brien
:clap: