PDA

View Full Version : No HS games on Longhorn Network this year

BaseballUmp
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
http://www.kwtx.com/_254sports/headlines/Big_12__126548838.html

BaseballUmp
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
The one-year suspension comes after members of the Big 12 were concerned with the Longhorn Network broadcasting high school games during the upcoming season. Those school believed the University of Texas was receiving an unfair recruiting advantage by showcasing potential recruits in those games. Texas A&M asked the Big 12 to step in and stop the network from airing those games.

Imagine that

Emerson1
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Pure jealousy. Then again with the huge recruiting advantage they might have pulled consecutive #1 classes instead of #3.

Roughneck93
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Pure jealousy. Then again with the huge recruiting advantage they might have pulled consecutive #1 classes instead of #3.

That's what it boils down to.

Txbroadcaster
08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
This actually needed to happen for the Big 12 to live..OU and A&M made a power move and it worked, they now feel they have a bigger voice in the conference and it is not just Texas with all the clout.

spirate_9
08-01-2011, 08:08 PM

False

Phil C
08-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Maybe we'll be lucky and it'll backfire on those schools by making players mad at them for not letting them play on tv. Let's hope so. :)

oldtownag
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Get your head out of the sand. And how are those #3 classes translating to wins? Ags have one 3 of the last 4 in case you forgot.

oldtownag
08-01-2011, 08:46 PM
This actually needed to happen for the Big 12 to live..OU and A&M made a power move and it worked, they now feel they have a bigger voice in the conference and it is not just Texas with all the clout.

Agreed! Neither A&M or OU want to leave the rivalry with Texas behind. However, they will both act just like Nebraska did if they feel Texas is throwing its muscle around. Texas A&M takes a backseat to no one. Not now and not in the future.

P.S. Remember when Notre Dame used to be relevant. Texas needs a conference just as much as the other big 12 teams.

TheDOCTORdre
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Get your head out of the sand. And how are those #3 classes translating to wins? Ags have one 3 of the last 4 in case you forgot.

check you're stats

spirate_9
08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
check you're stats

3 out of last 5

Txbroadcaster
08-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Agreed! Neither A&M or OU want to leave the rivalry with Texas behind. However, they will both act just like Nebraska did if they feel Texas is throwing its muscle around. Texas A&M takes a backseat to no one. Not now and not in the future.

P.S. Remember when Notre Dame used to be relevant. Texas needs a conference just as much as the other big 12 teams.

I dont think UT was trying to throw any muscle around, as soon as other schools said they were worried, UT said ok we wont do it, i mean almost the instant OU and A&M complained Dodds said np we are going to wait and see what everyone thinks.

Txbroadcaster
08-01-2011, 10:41 PM

except for one bad year those recruiting classes have translated to 4 BCS apperances, 3 wins 2 nat title game and of course a national title...again I dont think UT was siting in a dark room going yes yes we will show HS games and all recruits will come..I promise all of you as someone who has worked in broadcasting..ESPN came to UT with the idea..they are needing to fill 24/7 365 network with relevant stuff..showing all the classic games, and fluff shows along with other sports only goes so far, ESPN wanted to show high school games that UT fans would want to see

Emerson1
08-02-2011, 12:31 AM
except for one bad year those recruiting classes have translated to 4 BCS apperances, 3 wins 2 nat title game and of course a national title...again I dont think UT was siting in a dark room going yes yes we will show HS games and all recruits will come..I promise all of you as someone who has worked in broadcasting..ESPN came to UT with the idea..they are needing to fill 24/7 365 network with relevant stuff..showing all the classic games, and fluff shows along with other sports only goes so far, ESPN wanted to show high school games that UT fans would want to see
Logic doesn't fly around here you should know that.

-

Notes Dame isn't relevant because they actually have academic standards and can't get the stupid, more talented players accepted.

eagles_victory
08-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Get your head out of the sand. And how are those #3 classes translating to wins? Ags have one 3 of the last 4 in case you forgot. Typical Aggie fan one game is all the matters to you. You've WON (not one) 3 of 5 congratulations, but lets not compare resumes like TAMU football even belongs in the same ballpark as UT on a national level. Texas still owns the series lead like 75-37 or something. When is the last time TAMU won a bowl game? I mean I'm not an Aggie ripper but you can't compare UT and TAMU football it just isn't there.

You're right A&M takes a backseat to noone including UT because when it comes to the gridiron the Ags aren't even in the same vehicle.

RoyceTTU
08-02-2011, 05:56 AM
TXB --- I forgot to send you this the other day when I ran across it. I know this was a stickler for you about the possible violations.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6787513/texas-seeks-calm-big-12-rivals-concerns-longhorn-network

Dodds also said Texas would pay those schools to have the game on the network, but did not say how much.

I think this is the right move. Let the NCAA hash it out.

For the mean-time ESPN is rebranding and is going to tap into HS sports more. Like I had argued before, if ESPN was so interested in HS sports, they should have a channel for it. I guess they are going to put more on their own channels. I personally believe this is where HS sports needs to be.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2011/08/01/espn-to-rebrand-high-school-sports-initiatives-as-espn-high-school/

Longhorn sports belong on The Longhorn Network.

oldtownag
08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
You're right A&M takes a backseat to noone including UT because when it comes to the gridiron the Ags aren't even in the same vehicle.

My point is A&M and OU are not in a position that they have to sit back and let Texas do whatever they like. TAMU and OU have options and if Texas values being in a conference with their rivals they better start thinking about their actions.

P.S. I stand corrected TAMU has won 3 of the last 5 meetings. That in spite of the fact TAMU is re-building the football program from the Fran fiasco. And I already know he won 2 of those games.

rholl
08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
more whining!!! its the new tradition!!!!!!

oldtownag
08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
more whining!!! its the new tradition!!!!!!

FIFY

More winning!!! Its the new tradition!!!!!!

Old Tiger
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM

P.S. Remember when Notre Dame used to be relevant. Texas needs a conference just as much as the other big 12 teams.lol Texas A&M does what Texas wants them to do....

Buckeye1980
08-02-2011, 12:32 PM
My question is this , if ESPN show a high school game and has commercials advertising it's Longhorn Network, will a&m and ou start whining about unfair advantage ?

Old Tiger
08-02-2011, 12:40 PM
My question is this , if ESPN show a high school game and has commercials advertising it's Longhorn Network, will a&m and ou start whining about unfair advantage ?
aggy will whine about anything

eagles_victory
08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
SHould Tamu be allowed to host the state 7 on 7 tournament?

BEAST
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Should TU be in control of the UIL?

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 01:02 PM

BEAST

wow TU smh

rholl
08-02-2011, 01:17 PM
its little brother syndrome..they cant help it!!!!

eagles_victory
08-02-2011, 01:23 PM

BEAST 1. Tu 2. T-Shirt fan 3. Some arbitrary stat with a random date about football record 4. Track and field teams

What is Aggie arguments for 200 Alex.

Old Tiger
08-02-2011, 02:02 PM
The Pen is Mightier
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/194625/celebrity_jeopardy_connery_medium.jpg

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 02:11 PM

sure why not a lot universities host sporting events throughout the year..........heck texas host numerous uil championships........so why shouldn't A&M host at least 7v7

eagles_victory
08-02-2011, 02:13 PM
sure why not a lot universities host sporting events throughout the year..........heck texas host numerous uil championships........so why shouldn't A&M host at least 7v7 It's a joke dude

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 02:14 PM
sure why not a lot universities host sporting events throughout the year..........heck texas host numerous uil championships........so why shouldn't A&M host at least 7v7

to be techincal..7 0n 7 is not a UIL event and is more like a AAU event and would be easier for someone to apporach a player( and not saying that happens at all I have no problem with CS hosting 7 on 7)

Old Tiger
08-02-2011, 02:14 PM
sure why not a lot universities host sporting events throughout the year..........heck texas host numerous uil championships........so why shouldn't A&M host at least 7v7Because its an unfair advantage aggy has in recruiting because they have a lot of the best players on their campus for a sporting event.

Phil C
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Logic doesn't fly around here you should know that.

-

Notes Dame isn't relevant because they actually have academic standards and can't get the stupid, more talented players accepted.

Emerson I admire the Catholic Church.

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
to be techincal..7 0n 7 is not a UIL event and is more like a AAU event and would be easier for someone to apporach a player( and not saying that happens at all I have no problem with CS hosting 7 on 7)

exactly....and like i said universities throughout the state host numerous sporting events.........aau, club, and uil sanctioned...........idk if comparing 7 on 7 or any other event hosted by any university is comparable to to broadcasting high school events on a university network.

Old Tiger
08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
exactly....and like i said universities throughout the state host numerous sporting events.........aau, club, and uil sanctioned...........idk if comparing 7 on 7 or any other event hosted by any university is comparable to to broadcasting high school events on a university network.Actually hosting a 7on7 even on your campus is more valuable then broadcasting a game....

You have 128 teams consisting of 12-20 players each and a lot of prospects on your campus for 1 weekend.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
exactly....and like i said universities throughout the state host numerous sporting events.........aau, club, and uil sanctioned...........idk if comparing 7 on 7 or any other event hosted by any university is comparable to to broadcasting high school events on a university network.

not sure the exactly..when a UIL event is held there is structure of a coaching staff in place..kids are not seeing University reps because they are protected by coaches and staff..I have personally never seen a AAU event at a college( not saying that does not happen just I dont know)

and your right not comparable..at a 7 on 7 event alot easier for a College to approach a player than seeing them being broadcasted on TV

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Because its an unfair advantage aggy has in recruiting because they have a lot of the best players on their campus for a sporting event.

ok convince me how is showing hs events on a university network not an unfair advantage to the other schools in the conference when no other universities have networks? You could also convince me that it is all legit to..........but the fact is i don't the NCAA or ESPN know if it is.............so that is why LHN is probably on a hold right now with hs football to check out all the legalities and rules...........they are entering into something no one has ever had to deal with........i guess it's all groundbreaking?

and please not give me it's not texas's fault a&m or ou don't have networks........or maybe they should go out and get one...............and can you honestly say that the LHN is not a big advantage over the rest of the conference teams...........not just a&m.

Saggy Aggie
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
aggy will whine about anything

BEAST

wow TU smh The "aggy" thing is equally as stupid.

Old Tiger
08-02-2011, 02:33 PM
ok convince me how is showing hs events on a university network not an unfair advantage to the other schools in the conference when no other universities have networks? You could also convince me that it is all legit to..........but the fact is i don't the NCAA or ESPN know if it is.............so that is why LHN is probably on a hold right now with hs football to check out all the legalities and rules...........they are entering into something no one has ever had to deal with........i guess it's all groundbreaking?

and please not give me it's not texas's fault a&m or ou don't have networks........or maybe they should go out and get one...............and can you honestly say that the LHN is not a big advantage over the rest of the conference teams...........not just a&m.Show me how it is an unfair advantage first....it has been stated by UT AD that ESPN was going to select the games to be played.

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
not sure the exactly..when a UIL event is held there is structure of a coaching staff in place..kids are not seeing University reps because they are protected by coaches and staff..I have personally never seen a AAU event at a college( not saying that does not happen just I dont know)

and your right not comparable..at a 7 on 7 event alot easier for a College to approach a player than seeing them being broadcasted on TV

I know while I was at a&m.........bcs use to host a large tourney and games were at AMC. Bryan, some MS and TAMU rec facilities...............my son works in the athletic dept at OU....they host numerous summer baseball tourneys.

I really don't know if the putting of the h.s. games on a hold for year has much to do with a&m,ou or any other school complaining......but more this is uncharted territory........and i am sure the horns what to be sure it s all ok.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 02:36 PM
The "aggy" thing is equally as stupid.

agree 100%..now show me where I have ever called A&M that..making up stupid names is fine IMO come game week, any other time is just immature

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Show me how it is an unfair advantage first....it has been stated by UT AD that ESPN was going to select the games to be played.

i guess because no one other team has a network....that would be my guess.

maybe i should of stated that i am an aggie and i don't lose sleep about the LHN.....the way I see it there are a ton of h.s players in Texas........and Horns can't get them all............and IDK but the aggies have don't alright with recruiting..........I really like the fact that they have gone into Louisiana to get players.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
ok convince me how is showing hs events on a university network not an unfair advantage to the other schools in the conference when no other universities have networks? .

this is the problem I have with the argument..People want to ESPN and Texas to prove something with out 100% showing proof it would change things..if we were being fair you would have to let the network do the games then ask recruits did the fact the network might/did show ur game effect your decision..anything else is just a bunch of leaps of assumption( on both sides)

NastySlot
08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
this is the problem I have with the argument..People want to ESPN and Texas to prove something with out 100% showing proof it would change things..if we were being fair you would have to let the network do the games then ask recruits did the fact the network might/did show ur game effect your decision..anything else is just a bunch of leaps of assumption( on both sides)

I like you a lot...for someone i've never met............so i'm not trying to insult you ............but you're a smart guy. It's college football recruiting and there isn't much that coaches and universities (not just texas) won't do to gain an advantage legal or illegal. I give credit where credit is due.....the horns under Mack have been very successful he came in a beat R.C at something he did well recruit the best talent in the state...........how and why because I think Mack mastered the art of early commits and JR. days.........now others have caught up with him......why and how because everyone had a chance to do it...............the other schools in the conference can't show games featuring not only the top talent but any team.

I personally don't think it's that big a deal........showing a kid and his teammates one time can't make that much of a difference.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I like you a lot...for someone i've never met............so i'm not trying to insult you ............but you're a smart guy. It's college football recruiting and there isn't much that coaches and universities (not just texas) won't do to gain an advantage legal or illegal. I give credit where credit is due.....the horns under Mack have been very successful he came in a beat R.C at something he did well recruit the best talent in the state...........how and why because I think Mack mastered the art of early commits and JR. days.........now others have caught up with him......why and how because everyone had a chance to do it...............the other schools in the conference can't show games featuring not only the top talent but any team.

I personally don't think it's that big a deal........showing a kid and his teammates one time can't make that much of a difference.

well i dont like u..u smell LOL..I am not saying it is not a unfair situation, I am saying people are expecting the network to defend themself and their decisions on an assumption it would create an unfair advantage we honestly dont know...and I am sorry I do agree with the attitude of well if you dont like it do something and get ur own network..ur telling me FSSW would not jump at a chance to do a A&M network for right price? and we know OU is close to announcing their own network already

Emerson1
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Show me how it is an unfair advantage first....it has been stated by UT AD that ESPN was going to select the games to be played.
No one can. What better way to try and slow down the network's progress then to throw out recruiting violation accusations. That was just a smoke screen.

oldtownag
08-02-2011, 03:35 PM

This is the issue. Once you get the proof things have changed it is too late. It can take years to overcome one year of recruiting advantage. Just wait, how many years will it take the horns to overcome last years poor showing? As a matter of fact this LHN might be what the horns rolled out to counter act the poor year.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
This is the issue. Once you get the proof things have changed it is too late. It can take years to overcome one year of recruiting advantage. Just wait, how many years will it take the horns to overcome last years poor showing? As a matter of fact this LHN might be what the horns rolled out to counter act the poor year.

well seeing as Texas was already having a top 3 class in recruiting even with a 5-7 record and before the whole network broadcasting HS sports I cant agree.

Again you think UT was behind the scenes telling ESPN to do the games to get recruits..I think ESPN trying to fill a 24/7 UT network wanted UT relevant stuff

still goes back to my belief..if you beat me in poker and I tell you to prove to me that you did not cheat..you cant prove it..same as if right before we begin playing I say prove to me you wont cheat..again you cant

That is how it works, we cant prove laws will be broken before they happen, we cant prove advantages happen until they do...again I have no issue with the concern, I just think it is bias to ASSUME UT was doing this to cheat.

Farmersfan
08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
well seeing as Texas was already having a top 3 class in recruiting even with a 5-7 record and before the whole network broadcasting HS sports I cant agree.

Again you think UT was behind the scenes telling ESPN to do the games to get recruits..I think ESPN trying to fill a 24/7 UT network wanted UT relevant stuff

still goes back to my belief..if you beat me in poker and I tell you to prove to me that you did not cheat..you cant prove it..same as if right before we begin playing I say prove to me you wont cheat..again you cant

That is how it works, we cant prove laws will be broken before they happen, we cant prove advantages happen until they do...again I have no issue with the concern, I just think it is bias to ASSUME UT was doing this to cheat.

Good points except the analogy you gave is a little off. this would be more like if you played me in poker and I found a hidden ace in your pocket and you said you never used it or intended to use it. I would prefer we set the rules so you can't play with a spare ace in your pocket regardless of how many times you claim you won't use it. The rules MUST be set so that Texas can't cheat.

Txbroadcaster
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Good points except the analogy you gave is a little off. this would be more like if you played me in poker and I found a hidden ace in your pocket and you said you never used it or intended to use it. I would prefer we set the rules so you can't play with a spare ace in your pocket regardless of how many times you claim you won't use it. The rules MUST be set so that Texas can't cheat.

no a hidden ace is proof because a hidden ace is known to help a player cheat...there is no proof yet having a network showing games is going to be something that gives a school an advantage..if there was precedent that having a network for a school that shows HS games gave that school an advantage then yes it becomes a hidden ace, but until it happens it only MIGHT be a hidden ace.

oldtownag
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM

I don't think they were doing it to cheat. If they thought it was cheating they would not have approved it. They were doing it to fill programming time and if they happened to gain advantage with recruits so much the better. College athletics is big business and momentum is everything.

When I was in school A&M rolled over texas every year. They had a hard time overcoming the Ags success. Since then the Ags have had a hard time overcoming the horns success. Since every school but Texas thinks the LHN showing HS games is an advantage my guess is that maybe that should be looked into a little further before it is allowed.

BaseballUmp
08-02-2011, 04:04 PM
How do you get the hidden ace back once you use it? :confused:

LIONS#1
08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Old Tiger has a valid point here......The 7 on 7 competition should rotate campuses so that it will be fair to other Universities.:wave: