PDA

View Full Version : Its gonna get hotter!

orange machine
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
North Texas weather man says there is a good chance North Texas will reach 120 degrees by late august.

trojandad
08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
i thought the dallas record was 113 back in 1980.....??

bwdlionfan
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Tell me you're joking

RoyceTTU
08-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I heard this this A.M.

Coaches are going to walking a very fineline this summer 2-a-days. It won't be hard for someone to get hurt this summer. I enjoy the hot weather but this summer has really got to me. It is relentless with no breaks this summer.

trojandad
08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Tell me you're joking

i know that was the record for the longest.....cant find anything that says it was broken....

i remember that day well, opened the hood of my car to check the oil, passed out right on top of a hot motor....had that burn on my face until christmas....

Matthew328
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
hottest temp ever recorded in Texas was 120 in Monahans in 1994.....I think Seymour also had it in the 1930's....Accuweather 15 day forecast says we could get some rain in Dallas on Aug. 12/13...will keep my fingers crossed

bwdlionfan
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
i know that was the record for the longest.....cant find anything that says it was broken....

i remember that day well, opened the hood of my car to check the oil, passed out right on top of a hot motor....had that burn on my face until christmas....

Sorry, the "tell me you're joking" was directed at orange machine... but geeze of all the places to pass out

trojandad
08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Sorry, the "tell me you're joking" was directed at orange machine... but geeze of all the places to pass out

was in the parking lot of the old vandergriff chevrolet in arlington.....where the big "V" is now....dates me, i know....lol

Cam
08-01-2011, 04:00 PM
North Texas weather man says there is a good chance North Texas will reach 120 degrees by late august.

Dang, you're kiddin' right? With temps like that, my scrot will be hanging down to the knees and still not work.....because that's what the scrotum does right?......The function of the scrotum appears to be to keep the temperature of the testes slightly lower than that of the rest of the body. For human beings, the temperature should be one or two degrees Celsius below body temperature (around 37 degrees Celsius or 99 degrees Fahrenheit); higher temperatures may be damaging to sperm count. The temperature is controlled by the scrotum moving the testicles closer to the abdomen when the ambient temperature is cold, and further away when it is hot. Moving the testes away from the abdomen and increasing the exposed surface area allow a faster dispersion of excess heat. This is done by means of contraction and relaxation of the cremaster muscle in the abdomen and the dartos fascia (muscular tissue under the skin) in the scrotum. And that's about all the ball talk I can handle........:ack!: :twitch:

ccmom
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I heard this this A.M.

Coaches are going to walking a very fineline this summer 2-a-days. It won't be hard for someone to get hurt this summer. I enjoy the hot weather but this summer has really got to me. It is relentless with no breaks this summer.

Amen!! Everyone has to be careful!!!

My niece will be a freshman at AHS this fall and is in the band. Last Thursday, while they had them marching on the asphalt(which seems ridiculous to me), she overheated and passed out flat on her face on the parking lot....broke two teeth, stitches in her lip, etc. This was at 10am!! She is a tennis player and very fit. This heat is just unbelievable and you cannot be too careful.

trojandad
08-01-2011, 04:05 PM

My niece will be a freshman at AHS this fall and is in the band. Last Thursday, while they had them marching on the asphalt(which seems ridiculous to me), she overheated and passed out flat on her face on the parking lot....broke two teeth, stitches in her lip, etc. This was at 10am!! She is a tennis player and very fit. This heat is just unbelievable and you cannot be too careful.

was the band instructor smart enough to get them off the asphalt after that?!?!......geez louise......

bwdlionfan
08-01-2011, 04:08 PM

That's insane on so many different levels!

orange machine
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm being serious a police buddy talked and saw the Kxii meteorologist at Walmart the other day and said there was a good chance it could reach 120 by the end of the month.

Roughneck93
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Ouch! That's awful. One would think that staying off the asphalt is a no brainer.

trojandad
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Ouch! That's awful. One would think that staying off the asphalt is a no brainer.

i remember knocking gene mcgowan over at least once every two a days while the band was practicing...he would be playing his tuba (sousaphone actually, the one with the BIG bell).....id throw at least one football into the bell, tipping him over as he was a 140lb guy playing a 100 lb instrument....hed march with one eye on me, which was a tough feat......id buy my time until he finally turned his head.....started doing it my freshman year as a dare for being a freshman on varsity, and by our senior year he just started the year by asking me to go ahead and hit his horn and tip him over before the practices got started....he was a great guy.....and yes, ccmom, i was a jerk.....

HEMOTOXIC
08-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Actually, marching on asphalt was where we practiced during my days in high school. The football teams had all the fields in use. On Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings, we did march on the football field to get in some practice with the drill team. Yes, it was very, very hot!

BaseballUmp
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
i read on ESPN.com earlier about a kid in i think SC that died over the weekend practicing at like 10am and it was 101

eagleqb_14
08-01-2011, 06:27 PM
dang football guys have to practise in it too

MoveInDad
08-01-2011, 07:12 PM
i read on ESPN.com earlier about a kid in i think SC that died over the weekend practicing at like 10am and it was 101
Yep, and 9 people have died so far in Dallas county this summer, 4 in the last 3 days, with the hottest temps yet to come. Yet, we carry on with a 2pm start time for afternoon practice as usual as if there is no concern at all.

Yes the kids have water, and they are drinking gallons... so many of them are throwing it back up.
Yes many of the kids are practically delirious, therefore unable to focus or execute plays with precision.
Yes they need to get used to the heat, since game time temperatures in September usually hover around the 112 heat index level.
Yes we have lighted stadiums that allow us to practice when the sun goes down.
And Yes those of us that played went through the same thing and we're so much better for it.

I've been clearing brush the last week and I can tell you there is a helluva big difference in productivity between the morning (80 degrees) and afternoon sessions (105). So what do you do, you get there earlier to get in more productive hours.... seems like a no-brainer, but I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Roughneck93
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Yep, and 9 people have died so far in Dallas county this summer, 4 in the last 3 days, with the hottest temps yet to come. Yet, we carry on with a 2pm start time for afternoon practice as usual as if there is no concern at all.

Yes the kids have water, and they are drinking gallons... so many of them are throwing it back up.
Yes many of the kids are practically delirious, therefore unable to focus or execute plays with precision.
Yes they need to get used to the heat, since game time temperatures in September usually hover around the 112 heat index level.
Yes we have lighted stadiums that allow us to practice when the sun goes down.
And Yes those of us that played went through the same thing and we're so much better for it.

I've been clearing brush the last week and I can tell you there is a helluva big difference in productivity between the morning (80 degrees) and afternoon sessions (105). So what do you do, you get there earlier to get in more productive hours.... seems like a no-brainer, but I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Awareness sure needs to be up in the midst of this heat wave. I know Columbia practiced from 6am to 11am. Then again from 4pm-6pm.
Interesting story I just read regarding this subject...
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7679253.html

orange machine
08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Be cautious drink water and more water, but it's Texas football 2 a days if you don't like it don't play or move to a cooler place. I'm glad I'm not going through it, but I did and made it like many others. Let the argument begin.

Txbroadcaster
08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Be cautious drink water and more water, but it's Texas football 2 a days if you don't like it don't play or move to a cooler place. I'm glad I'm not going through it, but I did and made it like many others. Let the argument begin.

I always felt my old HS coach did it the right way..we had pads and full sessions in morning..the afternoon session was either shorts and helmets or we did playbook/film study

orange machine
08-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I always felt my old HS coach did it the right way..we had pads and full sessions in morning..the afternoon session was either shorts and helmets or we did playbook/film study
That's not a bad idea at all. I understand it's hot and really hot doesn't do it justice but my gosh it's over 100 just about every august and yet we have people who whine about every year. If the kid doesn't want to play because it's hot fine don't play. If a parent thinks its to hot or dangerous then don't let your kid play it's as simple as that. Here comes my story about my 2 a days, we went from 8am to 12pm full pads of course with 15 minute breaks every 45 minutes or so, but I would much rather break up the practice for 2 hours each time vs the 4 hours we went. I guess I look at it different if you have a 2 hour practice at 2pm during the hottest part of the day then you should be in great shape to play a 7:30 game. Celina has tons of water, tents and fans that blow air with mist. The players can go get water anytime they and the trainers have water bottles every where.

MoveInDad
08-02-2011, 09:19 AM
That's not a bad idea at all. I understand it's hot and really hot doesn't do it justice but my gosh it's over 100 just about every august and yet we have people who whine about every year. If the kid doesn't want to play because it's hot fine don't play. If a parent thinks its to hot or dangerous then don't let your kid play it's as simple as that. Here comes my story about my 2 a days, we went from 8am to 12pm full pads of course with 15 minute breaks every 45 minutes or so, but I would much rather break up the practice for 2 hours each time vs the 4 hours we went. I guess I look at it different if you have a 2 hour practice at 2pm during the hottest part of the day then you should be in great shape to play a 7:30 game. Celina has tons of water, tents and fans that blow air with mist. The players can go get water anytime they and the trainers have water bottles every where.

You're looking at it wrong OM. Can you run further when its 80 degrees with the sun on the horizon, or when its 105 with the sun directly overhead. Are your heart and lungs, and leg muscles conditioned by the suns rays? Obviously not, in case you needed an answer. My point is, get the kids out there earlier when its cooler so they can get in more PRODUCTIVE hours (read my post again), so they can go at full speed for longer, so that they are working out under more game-like conditions. The point is to win games right? Or is it to have the skinniest football team with the best tan?

And my comments are mine, my kid ain't complaining, he doesn't even want to think about football when he's not there so I don't even ask... and if you think its whining when someone infers there may be a better way, at least another way to go about something, and not even novel in this case (aren't the Cowboys practicing indoors?)... then I'm just glad your type hasn't been in charge when the guy rolled up on the first wheel, or demonstrated the power of steam, or else we wouldn't have football at all, we'd be too busy plowing our fields with mules.

SWMustang
08-02-2011, 09:47 AM
For human beings, the temperature should be one or two degrees Celsius below body temperature (around 37 degrees Celsius or 99 degrees Fahrenheit); ...:ack!: :twitch:

You have a very high body temperature :)

bobcat1
08-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I grew up in another era when the High School had no air conditioners. We rarely ran ours at home and certainly did not have them in the car until I was in high school. Kids and adults were more conditioned to the heat then compared to people being conditioned to the AC now. During 2 a days I've always wondered why coaches did not have the 2nd practice (conditioning) during the week according to the game time they would be playing, say from 7-10pm. They could also have the bulk of the learning of the different schemes and plays done from 6-9am in the morning while it was still cool and they could think more clearly and attentively. Just my thoughts.

AP Panther Fan
08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
It struck me as funny this morning when I was driving to work at 8:00, looked at the temp of 86 degrees, and I thought it felt cool.:ack!:

44INAROW
08-02-2011, 10:19 AM
It struck me as funny this morning when I was driving to work at 8:00, looked at the temp of 86 degrees, and I thought it felt cool.:ack!:

I went to the store last night about 8:30 - the digital temp on Broadway showed it was 98º - at 8:30 pm - jeez louise............