PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for final journey...

GrTigers6
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Starting Monday my youngest son will be starting his senior season. And It got me thinking, what the heck am I gonna do when its done?
We have three kids two have already graduated and all played sports, daughter in volleyball, oldest son in football and baseball, when not injured. Youngest son plays football, baseball, tennis, pole vault. Its been a crazy and busy last 8 years since the oldest started high school, and Im not sure that I want it to end. Although I will enjoy the free time.
I guess I will have to start fishing a lot more, or playing more golf.
Just out of curiousity how many of yall are starting senior year with your last child?

bobcat1
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Starting Monday my youngest son will be starting his senior season. And It got me thinking, what the heck am I gonna do when its done?
We have three kids two have already graduated and all played sports, daughter in volleyball, oldest son in football and baseball, when not injured. Youngest son plays football, baseball, tennis, pole vault. Its been a crazy and busy last 8 years since the oldest started high school, and Im not sure that I want it to end. Although I will enjoy the free time.
I guess I will have to start fishing a lot more, or playing more golf.
Just out of curiousity how many of yall are starting senior year with your last child? My youngest ended his senior year with a perfect season and a state championship ring. I was lost as a goose after the last one played his last high school game for about a year and a half after watching 4 sons playing throughout the years.

I can tell you that I am now free to go see great matchups all over instead of being stuck with one town. You can enjoy the great plays from both teams without a dog in the hunt. It's awesome!

GrTigers6 enjoy every minute of it and soak it all in. In will fly by!

bigwood33
07-27-2011, 03:32 PM
My oldest son graduated in '07 and played football, basketball and baseball. My daughter graduated in '10 and played volleyball, basketball and tennis. My youngest son is entering his Sr year. He plays football, basketball, baseball and runs track and it almost makes me cry thinking about it all being over! I LOVE my life as the father of involved kids and only half jokingly told my wife a few months ago that "it would be the Christian thing to do to adopt 2 or 3 of the displaced boys from The American Samoan Islands that lost their homes in the tsunami last year...preferably BIG ones". She disagreed. :crying: I am excited about the future and really think that he will have a fantastic Sr year but can now see the end...and I don't like it one bit.

footballfan65
07-27-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm right there with you. Been very involved in my kids school activities. Guess we are definitely going to have to get hobbies.

bigwood33
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't want a hobby, I want 3 more kids! I haven't given up on the Samoans yet ;)

BEAST
07-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't want a hobby, I want 3 more kids! I haven't given up on the Samoans yet ;)

Really would be the christian thing to do. Give unto others and so forth. You could adopt them and then move to Brownwood in order to keep on with the giving ways......

BEAST

bigwood33
07-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Really would be the christian thing to do. Give unto others and so forth. You could adopt them and then move to Brownwood in order to keep on with the giving ways......

BEAST

Wife's a Brownwood girl and my daughter is at HPU...sounds like a match made in heaven!

Old LB
07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Wife's a Brownwood girl and my daughter is at HPU...sounds like a match made in heaven!

Where should we setup the adoption fund at and when can we see information for potential adoptees? :)

Looking4number8
07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Where should we setup the adoption fund at and when can we see information for potential adoptees? :)

I was just about to send my donation to the 3adl, guess I better hold off for a better cause :)

GrTigers6
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
It will be a fun year and very fast year. And bobcat1, yes I am looking forward to watching neutral games. The other problem is my brother only has girls so I can't even watch them play football.

Pendragon13
07-27-2011, 06:09 PM

BEASTOh good lord, the "welcome to the jungle" entrance production would end with the whole team doing the Haka. :doh:

bobcat1
07-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't want a hobby, I want 3 more kids! I haven't given up on the Samoans yet ;)Have you ever seen those Samoans eat?:eek:

bigwood33
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Have you ever seen those Samoans eat?:eek:
Exactly! Raise me some linemen this time. You can never have too many "wide butts"!

bobcat1
07-27-2011, 07:38 PM
That 6'6 baby boy of me almost bankrupted me and his Mom when we started feeding a few of his linemen friends from Celina and then we went to MSU in Wichita Falls. They asked me what meal plan I wanted him on. I said the Maximum. It was only 19 meals a week! We went to the cafeteria with the football team and it was buffet. You should have seen those linemen in colege eat! Their plates would be piled a foot high with pizza and then another plate with chicken and another plate with salad all piled a foot high. I told my son get there early.

LH Panther Mom
07-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Just out of curiousity how many of yall are starting senior year with your last child?
Me! :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

This will be my 15th and final season with a Liberty Hill Panther football player at some level, 7-12. :(

bigwood33
07-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Me! :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

This will be my 15th and final season with a Liberty Hill Panther football player at some level, 7-12. :(
My heart goes out to you. Have fun this year and savor every minute!

Rabid Cougar
07-28-2011, 12:35 AM
3 more years of Friday nights and Saturday Afternoons/Evenings....Life is good!

GrTigers6
07-28-2011, 06:10 AM
3 more years of Friday nights and Saturday Afternoons/Evenings....Life is good!I would say you are lucky, however your location prevents me from saying it. But it is good that you still have one playing. Thanks for the service, And hope you get to come home for good soon.

sinton66
07-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Not having anyone playing can be a plus. You can pick any team to support and go to games with no vested interest. You'll actually learn more about different systems that way.

footballfan65
07-28-2011, 07:26 AM
It is very true that you are open to go to neutral games....BUT you don't have that emotional attachment to the game, the thrill when your child does something good, the pride in your heart as your son steps onto that field. That is what I'm going to miss!

trojandad
07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
i miss listening to my oldest ramble on before a game on assignments, keys, tendencies....he probably had no idea how much he was talking aloud....then after the game feeding him and listening to him going over his breaks, both good and bad....one night against madisonville he was SO hard on himself afterward, i had to remind him he just had a 19 tackle, 4 sack game.....kid was hard on himself......guess he got it honestly.....what i would give for one more of those rambling talks from him hearing how he saw the game.....

Farmersfan
07-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I can one-up all of you. My youngest was a senior at Farmersville in 07' when the Farmers won the State Title. He was a member of that team from Pee Wee through his Junior season but decided to go into the Army early entry program and do Boot Camp during the summer between his junior and senior year. He missed the first week of two-a-days because of this and our coach would not allow him to join the team late. So I spent the entire season following the Farmers in their Championship run with my son at my side instead of on the team. It was fun but very discouraging at the same time. After 6 years of playing with those boys my son missed getting his ring because of missing a week of two-a-days due to boot camp.

GrTigers6
07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
i miss listening to my oldest ramble on before a game on assignments, keys, tendencies....he probably had no idea how much he was talking aloud....then after the game feeding him and listening to him going over his breaks, both good and bad....one night against madisonville he was SO hard on himself afterward, i had to remind him he just had a 19 tackle, 4 sack game.....kid was hard on himself......guess he got it honestly.....what i would give for one more of those rambling talks from him hearing how he saw the game.....Thats sounds just like my son, Last season and this summer in 7on7. He was all upset and I had to explain to him that he had 8 catches for 150+ yards and three td's. But he wanted to dwell on the one drop.

bigwood33
07-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I can one-up all of you. My youngest was a senior at Farmersville in 07' when the Farmers won the State Title. He was a member of that team from Pee Wee through his Junior season but decided to go into the Army early entry program and do Boot Camp during the summer between his junior and senior year. He missed the first week of two-a-days because of this and our coach would not allow him to join the team late. So I spent the entire season following the Farmers in their Championship run with my son at my side instead of on the team. It was fun but very discouraging at the same time. After 6 years of playing with those boys my son missed getting his ring because of missing a week of two-a-days due to boot camp.
Man, what a bummer. I can't believe that the coach would punish a kid like that who WAS GOING INTO THE ARMY! I don't know him but if that is idea of doing thr right thing, he is messed up.

bobcat1
07-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Man, what a bummer. I can't believe that the coach would punish a kid like that who WAS GOING INTO THE ARMY! I don't know him but if that is idea of doing thr right thing, he is messed up. I couldn't agree more FF. That is despicable.

Farmersfan
07-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Man, what a bummer. I can't believe that the coach would punish a kid like that who WAS GOING INTO THE ARMY! I don't know him but if that is idea of doing thr right thing, he is messed up.

I probably could have taken it to the Superintendant and got my son on the team but my son asked me not to. He didn't want to be a distraction to the team and said he didn't want to be on the team in that way. He seemed ok with it so I let it go. And he said he knew the rule before he went to boot camp. I would love for him to have a State Title ring but he has done fine without it so it's all water under the bridge now...................:twitch:

bobcat1
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Still what your son did should have been honored instead of punished.

Roughneck93
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I agree. I think this would have fallen under the special circumstances category.

BEAST
07-28-2011, 09:28 AM

I agree. Its not like he was at some lazy summer camp being sitting on his butt.

BEAST

slingshot
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
My middle son is going into his senior year... man it goes quick. My youngest is going into 7th grade. Going to at a lot of games this year!

GrTigers6
07-28-2011, 09:13 PM
My middle son is going into his senior year... man it goes quick. My youngest is going into 7th grade. Going to at a lot of games this year!Yep, every thursday and friday, and those away games you get to go out of town twice, Which is perfect with the gas prices.:thumbsup::D

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
My heart goes out to you. Have fun this year and savor every minute!
Oh, I'll definitely have fun and enjoy every minute! Thankfully, I've still got 2 more seasons after this watching the middle one play at UIW.