PDA

View Full Version : game i'm glad i SAW......

trojandad
07-26-2011, 06:59 AM
73, john tyler vs conroe.....10 -7, turned on, of all things, a hb pass by earl.....

bigwood33
07-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Classic!
I went to the Abilene Wylie v Decatur game in '06. It was a first round game but had all of the drama of a Semi- Finals or Finals game. What a classic! Great game.
I also really enjoyed the Farmersville v Tatum SC game a few years ago...overtime thriller!

poisoned10
07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
A game I'm glad I saw was Gilmer vs. Tatum in 2001.

Tatum had a 24-21 lead late in the game and had the ball and was just running it right at us to run the clock out. Their running back, I believe his last name was Champion, fumbled earlier in the drive but Tatum recovered. Later, deep in Gilmer territory, he fumbled again, only this time, Don Griffin, of Gilmer, scooped it up and returned it for a TD to win, 28-24, and claim Gilmer an unlikely district championship, the 1st of 9 consecutive.

And believe it or not, but I called both fumbles.

Pendragon13
07-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Classic!
I went to the Abilene Wylie v Decatur game in '06. It was a first round game but had all of the drama of a Semi- Finals or Finals game. What a classic! Great game.
I also really enjoyed the Farmersville v Tatum SC game a few years ago...overtime thriller!Was that the game where Wylie recovered on onside kick and went on to score and win with less than a minute left...or was that when Case keenum was still playing?

trojandad
07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
1997, splendora vs coldspring, 7 ot's, wildcats won 45-39.....was the longest game on record up to that time....

donald moore, jr for splendora scored 4 times and played a 7 ot game exactly 20 yrs after his dad, moore sr, intercepted 7 passes in one game, still a state record....was kinda spooky.....

GrTigers6
07-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Two of my favorites that im glad I watched were
1. Goldthwaite vs Pilot Point in semi final early 90's. here in Glen Rose, even though I didnt live here then.
This game ended in a 0-0 tie and Goldthwaite advanced on penetrations, 2-1, and if memory serves correctly that second penetration was on a interception at the 19 and they turned it over on downs. I am not much of a fan of a defensive game but that one was probably the most intense game I have even seen in person.
2. Wheeler vs Bremond, 1988 where wheeler scored a field goal as time ran out that landed on the crossbar and rolled over.23-21

trojandad
07-26-2011, 01:38 PM
cant believe i forgot, reggie garretts last playoff game, 2009 against us.....wo-s lost 41-36 but reggie went 18 for 32, 314 yds, including a 99 yd td pass, 2 tds passing, one td rushing, that one with 0:40 left in the game.....he never quit.....will always have been a privilege to see that game knowing the circumstances of the next year....was an outstanding football game, only surpassed with reggie's grace afterward even during such a tough loss....

bobcat1
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Celina/China Spring was a great game in 2007.
I also enjoyed theCelina/Liberty Hill "Mashin in Midliothian" in 2008.:evillol: (We need a rubber match)
Last years Carthage/Brownwood game was great too.

Old Tiger
07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
LH/Giddings because of the fight at midfield.

GrTigers6
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Celina/China Spring was a great game in 2007.
I also enjoyed theCelina/Liberty Hill "Mashin in Midliothian" in 2008.:evillol: (We need a rubber match)
Last years Carthage/Brownwood game was great too. That China Spring/Celina game was a good one.
Didnt get to see carthage/ brownwood but listened to it.

bobcat4life
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Pilot Point-Godley in 2009 was a great game. Godley led 20-15 with like 5 minutes left before PP scored to make it 21-20 but didnt get the 2 point conversion. Godley drove down and kicked a field goal with like 45 seconds left, but PP was able to drive down and kick a field goal as time expired to win 24-23.

bigwood33
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Case was gone. Wylie kicked a field goal with about 20 seconds left to win it. Decatur thought they had it won when they scored with about 1:00 left in the game. The Decatur kids were doing snow angels on the field thinking that they had it won. I was sitting with the "big man" and he said "Kyle had better get those kids under control 'cause Hugh doesn't think it's over yet"! Prophetic words indeed.

lostaussie
07-26-2011, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=bobcat1;1595178] (We need a rubber match)
QUOTE]Why do you need a rubber match :thinking: seems to me that would be hard to strike:D

HEMOTOXIC
07-26-2011, 06:33 PM
2007- Navasota 42 Jasper 40... If my memory serves me correctly, Navasota trailed 34-14 @ the half.

Gobbler Fan
07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Cuero-Gilmer 2009 State Semifinals ... This game was what HS Football is all about .

Cuero - A Wylie 2004 State Finals ... Case Keenum pulled this one out with that long scramble in the 4th quarter setting A Wylie up for the game winning field goal.

bobcat1
07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Case was gone. Wylie kicked a field goal with about 20 seconds left to win it. Decatur thought they had it won when they scored with about 1:00 left in the game. The Decatur kids were doing snow angels on the field thinking that they had it won. I was sitting with the "big man" and he said "Kyle had better get those kids under control 'cause Hugh doesn't think it's over yet"! Prophetic words indeed.I heard about that game from some friends from Decatur. He said the fans of Decatur just sat on their hands all night thinking it was in the bag. Afterall they had beat Wylie already that year.:D

Pendragon13
07-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I heard about that game from some friends from Decatur. He said the fans of Decatur just sat on their hands all night thinking it was in the bag. Afterall they had beat Wylie already that year.:DYou're thinking of a couple years earlier like I was, the game he's talking about was at Southlake Carrol stadium....I remember the Decatur players and fans celebrating their "win" a little too early.:doh:

bobcat1
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
You're thinking of a couple years earlier like I was, the game he's talking about was at Southlake Carrol stadium....I remember the Decatur players and fans celebrating their "win" a little too early.:doh:You know you are right. The one I am talking about was at Tarleton in Stephenville in 2004. They were undefeated and ranked #1 I think and lost 14-13. I was pleased.:evillol:

bigwood33
07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
You're thinking of a couple years earlier like I was, the game he's talking about was at Southlake Carrol stadium....I remember the Decatur players and fans celebrating their "win" a little too early.:doh:
Exactly. We saw a Decatur fan at a convenience store after the game and they guy was totally dejected. He talked about the 14-13 game and how every time they think they have a good/great team Wylie just killed them.

bigwood33
07-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Pilot Point-Godley in 2009 was a great game. Godley led 20-15 with like 5 minutes left before PP scored to make it 21-20 but didnt get the 2 point conversion. Godley drove down and kicked a field goal with like 45 seconds left, but PP was able to drive down and kick a field goal as time expired to win 24-23.
Homer call of the year on The Ticket. The poor Godley radio guys had almost their entire life force sucked out of them by that field goal.

trojandad
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
2007- Navasota 42 Jasper 40... If my memory serves me correctly, Navasota trailed 34-14 @ the half.

i was there, humble stadium....was sitting on jasper side, never heard a crowd turn on a coach so quickly in my life.....

DavidWooderson
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Two of my favorites that im glad I watched were
1. Goldthwaite vs Pilot Point in semi final early 90's. here in Glen Rose, even though I didnt live here then.
This game ended in a 0-0 tie and Goldthwaite advanced on penetrations, 2-1, and if memory serves correctly that second penetration was on a interception at the 19 and they turned it over on downs. I am not much of a fan of a defensive game but that one was probably the most intense game I have even seen in person.

You failed to mention that PP scored a TD but the pass was called incomplete (I have it on tape, the WR had both feet down in bounds).

Yes I would agree on the PP/Godley game back in '09 was a great one. The year before PP had a 24-8 lead going into the 4th quarter against Winnsboro. Winnsboro came back and tied it with 2 early TDs. Forced PP to punt late in the game then turned the ball over, and PP kicked a FG to go up 27-24 with seconds left on the clock. (Same kicker as in '09, the '08 game was his Freshman year, he'd only been on the team 5 weeks, got him out of PE. Now going into his Sr. year this year will probably be the #1 kicker in District 9-3A)

For me the 1998 - Paul Pewitt/Brookshire-Royal Championship game was a good one.

MY all-time favorite is 1995 #1 Celina vs #2 Pilot Point for the district championship. It was the last game of the season, great weather until just before kickoff. Celina led 2-0 at half time, scored in the 3rd to go up 9-0. PP came back and scored early in the 4th but missed the PAT making it 9-6. PP scored again with 4 mins left to go up 13-9 and win the game.

GrTigers6
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=DavidWooderson;1595579]You failed to mention that PP scored a TD but the pass was called incomplete (I have it on tape, the WR had both feet down in bounds).

That is right, I forgot all about that!

cowboyandchrist
07-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Tatum-Hutto state championship game was amazing. We score 14 points in less than 20 seconds before the half. They made the mistake of kicking the ball to Demo and he takes it to the house, we kick off, recover a fumble, and throw touch down pass. We kick off again, recover another fumble and fail to score when time ran out in first half. There were 9 D1 football players on that Tatum team of 05.

trojandad
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
2002, liberty vs coldspring at liberty....liberty intercepted us at their own 7 yd line, 2:32 left in the game, they were ahead 21 - 12....on first down they ran a sweep, our mlb broke thru and threw their rb into the endzone for a safety, 21-14 liberty.....they kicked off and we drove 75 yds in 2 minutes, includint a 4th and 30 conversion....two point conversion made it 22-21 our favor.....they took the kickoff and drove down to the 35, then attempted a 52 yd firld goal, they had an all world firld goal kicker that actually kicked it over the right upright....the two refs under the goal posts waved no good but a ref standing over at the liberty sideline unexplicably raised his hands up, signalling good.....when the liberty guys were walking thru the handshake at the end of the game theey actually thought they had won the game because of this yuts signalling good.....the liberty guys actually started falling on the ground in disappointment as they were being told by our guys that they had lost the game, was the weirdest handshake after a game ive ever seen.....

the other thing i remember about that game was how in the 3rd qtr on a long drive liberty ran 4 times on 4th down and 1 behind their all state center and converted 3 of them....on the 4th one my son, who played DE and was outweighed by their center by 40 lbs, slapped our nose guard over and took his place over liberty's center.....ty knocked their center 3 yds straight back, grabbed the rb with one hand and was celebrating with fist pumps in the air with the other hand before he had even tackled the guy....i just knew after pulling the play of the game (or so i thought) he was gonna get flagged and ruin the play.....our coach took my boy off defense the rest of the year because of moving the nose guard over.....i never knew just how to approach my boy about that, except to say he made the choice, paid a huge price for it, but could be happy with the results after paying a huge price for it....but deep inside i wanted to wring that coach's neck.....school board did it for me at years end.....lol

TheDOCTORdre
07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
back to back games in 2003-Sweetwater against Decatur followed by Sweetwater and Greenwood in the quarters the next weekend

HEMOTOXIC
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
i was there, humble stadium....was sitting on jasper side, never heard a crowd turn on a coach so quickly in my life.....

I'm sure:)

BaseballUmp
07-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Cameron Yoe vs Daingerfield last year in the state game...came down to the last 30 seconds after being down 14 midway through the 4th quarter

Saggy Aggie
07-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Cameron Yoe vs Daingerfield last year in the state game...came down to the last 30 seconds after being down 14 midway through the 4th quarterCRAZY finish.

Matthew328
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
1992: SLC vs. Vernon: dad took me to this game and it started my love for HS Football.....one of the greatest games of all time
2001: Everman vs. Forney: never been so nervous about a game in my life...DaBryan Blanton was special
2002 Judson vs. Midland: Midland allows an 80 yard TD pass with 30 seconds left after driving to win the state title
2006: SLC vs. Trinity: I still say there were 60,000 in the stadium
2007: Tatum vs. Farmersville: overtime state championship game where run oriented Farmersville scores to win on a 4th and goal pass

Rabid Cougar
07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
China Spring vs LaVega 2007 Region III Finals in Waco. I listened to in by internest then saw it on DVD as i was in Iraq a the time... I did the same for the China Spring vs Celina SC game. ...Good thing... I have both games on DVD!

Cameron Vs. Dangerfield.

China Spring Vs Cameron BiDistrict at WISD - Shawn Bell Vs Billy Pittman

Cameron Vs Marlin Region III Finals at College Station in late 80's.

Cameron Vs Cuero Region III Finals in Austin late 80's

ctown81
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Carthage vs Gilmer in '08 At SFA
Carthage vs. Brownwood last year
Carthage vs Dallas Roosevelt '91 at Texas Stadium

coachc45
07-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Daingerfield vs Gladewater in 1984
SLC vs Vernon 1992

poisoned10
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Elysian Fields vs. Arp in 2007 @ Gladewater. EF trailed 13-0 and managed to score twice on 4th down. I don't remember if the score was tied at 13 or if EF trailed 13-12, but on the last play of regulation, EF scored on a hail mary to win 19-13. Really fun game to watch.

bp80884
07-31-2011, 12:39 AM
China Spring vs LaVega 2007 Region III Finals in Waco. I listened to in by internest then saw it on DVD as i was in Iraq a the time... I did the same for the China Spring vs Celina SC game. ...Good thing... I have both games on DVD!

Cameron Vs. Dangerfield.

China Spring Vs Cameron BiDistrict at WISD - Shawn Bell Vs Billy Pittman

Cameron Vs Marlin Region III Finals at College Station in late 80's.

Cameron Vs Cuero Region III Finals in Austin late 80's

Gotta say the China Spring La Vega 2007 playoff game was best Game I have ever seen in any sport at any level.

China Spring Celina State Championship game was a great one as well.