PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News 2011 HS Football Coverage (Could be a Game Changer)

Matthew328
07-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Gotta admit..bold, bold move by the DMN....they are going to attempt to have live scoring at high school games this year. We are talking time, possession, down distance, where the ball is etc.....huge huge investment here by DMN, but they've been by far the best at HS Football coverage newspaper wise..we'll see if this makes it better.

Think of it looking similar to ESPN.com on Saturday where you click on the game and it brings up a gamecast.....DMN is buying basically 70 laptops and wireless cards for their stringers to do this....if it works it could really be big. They are the first newspaper in the United States to try this....expect about 70-75 games per week to be covered in this manner

poisoned10
07-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

Gilmer's webcast had something like that on their site. It was updated after every play with a slight delay though.

I didn't get to go to the Henderson game and had to yell from my computer desk listening and watching that scoreboard update. It SUCKED!

Ernest T Bass
07-23-2011, 06:59 PM
While I love HS football, I have mixed feelings about this. Lots of money is being invested in HS football from lots of parties. I fear HS football is about to lose its "amature" status.

mwrams
07-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I think this will be a great idea! How would HS Football lose its status. At least we would know the progress of the games. Texas HS football has been losing its luster for the last 20 years or so. This generation is not as into it as past generations. All the recruiting and the focus only on the top 10 teams which are usually the same 10 or so year after year has contributed to the decline in interest. I mean the people in say, Lake Worth or Lamesa really get tired of hearing how great Brownwood or Aledo are year after year. Its like everybody else doesn't matter!

Emerson1
07-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Two of the dumbest statements I have ever read are in this thread.

Trashman
07-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Two of the dumbest statements I have ever read are in this thread.

Not if your from Mineral Wells. LOL

mwrams
07-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Forney/Stephenville...that explains it. The jackets may have been King of the hill for the last 20 years or so but, back in my day they were just another run of the mill team. We used to school you guys every now and then. You don't think Texas high school has lost some of its luster then you are a lot younger than I'am. Back in my days towns would shut out the lights during out of town games. Friday night football was all the talk at the coffee shops. Worrying about what college all the D-1 prospects were going to commit too was not even thought about back then. With so many metroplex now it has become watered down. And people making comments like you is what keeps anyone else from making any comment you moron!

Ernest T Bass
07-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes, HS football has lost its luster. Multimillion dollar football stadiums for one high school districts, nationally televised games, millions of dollars of MERCHANDISE revenue for HS programs, HS programs negotiating for TV revenue, etc...
Im sure there's not much luster in Miserable Smells, Texas b/c the Lambs suck and have sucked for quite some time. But, the small towns that are successful have the same luster that they ever had. However, in the metro areas, there are multimillion dollar markets for HS football. Step outside of Palo Pinto county on occasion. There's a whole different world out there that has progressed a bit over the last 20 years, which is something that Miserable Smells has failed to do.

mwrams
07-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes, HS football has lost its luster. Multimillion dollar football stadiums for one high school districts, nationally televised games, millions of dollars of MERCHANDISE revenue for HS programs, HS programs negotiating for TV revenue, etc...
Im sure there's not much luster in Miserable Smells, Texas b/c the Lambs suck and have sucked for quite some time. But, the small towns that are successful have the same luster that they ever had. However, in the metro areas, there are multimillion dollar markets for HS football. Step outside of Palo Pinto county on occasion. There's a whole different world out there that has progressed a bit over the last 20 years, which is something that Miserable Smells has failed to do.

exactly it has become big money! Not the same as back in the old days as when it was for the love of the game. Back before kids moved to a town just to get that D-1 Scholarship, (Ok, except for Breckenridge or Permian). And you should not say miserable smells anymore...We were District Champs in Football, Baseball, Softball, Bi District Champs in both Girls and Boys Basketball. Sent 8 kids to the State track meet and came away with 2 state Championships, And yes, we have also joined the throngs of mega stadiums with one of the top 5 if not the best Football/Baseball/Softball/Track complexes in all of Class 3A TEXAS. Thank you....AND PROUD TO SAY...FROM MINERAL WELLS,TEXAS!

Ernest T Bass
07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
exactly it has become big money! Not the same as back in the old days as when it was for the love of the game. Back before kids moved to a town just to get that d-1 scholarship, (ok, except for breckenridge or permian). And you should not say miserable smells anymore...we were district champs in football, baseball, softball, bi district champs in both girls and boys basketball. Sent 8 kids to the state track meet and came away with 2 state championships, and yes, we have also joined the throngs of mega stadiums with one of the top 5 if not the best football/baseball/softball/track complexes in all of class 3a texas. Thank you....and proud to say...from mineral wells,texas!

smdh....

mwrams
07-24-2011, 03:41 PM
and all you can do is shake your head. Ok, I quit. You just can't stand it!

bwdlionfan
07-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Sorry dude, can't agree with you on this topic... Maybe Mineral Wells football has lost some luster because they were terrible for so long. Maybe winning last year and if they can continue to win will bring it back. Brownwood still has a huge following as do others who have had success. Heck last year we had over 18,000 official attendance the playoff game against Monahans (they travel very well too and I'm sure they don't feel like they've lost luster).

Mineral Wells does have a nice new stadium, I'll give them that, but I'll still take our 30 something year old stadium over just about any in Texas. It has so much history it brings about luster in itself.

TheDOCTORdre
07-24-2011, 04:28 PM
this thread lost its luster

Emerson1
07-24-2011, 04:34 PM
this thread lost its luster
It's one big contradiction.

Txbroadcaster
07-24-2011, 06:58 PM
It's one big contradiction.

people keep going to exteme links to make their point

Ernest T Bass
07-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Yes, bc you made my point while arguing with it.

Roughneck93
07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like FSN and DCTF are getting into the mix as well.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/article/FSN-plans-six-hour-block-of-Friday-football-1543560.php

DavidWooderson
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Sure it'll be cool if the DMN actually use this though. It'll probably be only for Trinity, Southlake, Allen or Plano games....that's all DMN cares about anyway.

Matthew328
07-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Sure it'll be cool if the DMN actually use this though. It'll probably be only for Trinity, Southlake, Allen or Plano games....that's all DMN cares about anyway.

70 games per week

Twirling Time
07-31-2011, 09:48 PM
It'll be a great way to keep up with scores on a smart phone in the stands. If you're a Metroplex 4A or 5A, or want to know a Celina score. Celina and maybe Lovejoy are the only 3A schools that'll get the full treatment.