PDA

View Full Version : Gidding's tough pre-season schedule = No easy games....

1st and goal
07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
One thing is for sure. Coach Fitz has left us a formidable pre-season that he has cultivated over the years. He never shy'd away from tough opponents. We have played many state championship and regional champions over the last 6 or 7 years. Wimberley, Hutto, Liberty Hill, LaGrange (when they were region 4 and we were region 3). I have mixed emotions over tough preseasons. Sure, that which doesn't kill you only makes you tougher. OTOH, you can really get banged up and worn out if you don't put the 2nd stringers in, and who does that with the game on the line?

Someone help me out, I know about the scrimmage with Wimberley but who else are we scrimmaging? Columbus maybe?

8/26 at Burnet, last year I thought Burnet was 1 of the best coached teams we played. They showed a lot of promise and spirit.

9/02 at Brookshire Royal, everyone knows they've been our demise early in the playoffs the last 2 years. They are well coached and have a load of talent. Plus, the band is worth the trip if you like the "shake it" style.

9/09 Lavernia, Always tough. Seem to get better every year. Great fans. Good competition. Kind of far to travel.

9/16 Elgin, Historically tough. Elgin likes to play "pack rat" mob the ball carrier defense. Lots of history and a tough rivalry. They have a new coach this year too.

9/24 West Orange Stark at Conroe Moorhead Stadium, what can I say. This could be a pre cursor to a 2nd or 3rd round playoff game if history means anything. WOS had some tough emotional times last year (RIP Reggie Garrett) and coach too?. I'm sure with their talent and fan base, this will be a barn stormer.

I think we could easily be 3-2 or 2-3 at the end of preseason. How does this type of record effect the players' psyche? Hopefully the new coach will have 'em ready to go each and every week.

Dogman_1969
07-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Great preseason schedule. A 3-2 record coming out of that would be impressive. This should be some great games. Cuddos to who built this schedule. No dodging anyone.......

1st and goal
07-24-2011, 07:54 AM
This is the first year in many that the Buffs aren't ranked in the top 25. I guess that takes the pressure off the new coach but I hope it gives the team "something to prove".

We have some tremendous talent at key positions. Guess we all have to wait until the season starts up like everyone else.

Pendragon13
07-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Wanna trade with Abilene Wylie's non-district schedule?

Monahans scrimmage- takes place every year, and every year Wylie fans are "holy crap, glad we don't have to play them regular season"

8/26 (?) Was La Vernia, now possibly Rockdale

9/2 Stephenville- 4A playoff team

9/9 Graham- played in the 3A state finals (D2) two seasons ago, still has plenty of good players and coaching.

9/16- Waco High- 4A, should be improved from last year

9/23 Lucas Lovejoy- need I say more? This team gave us an epic battle in 09 and almost kept Wylie out of the state title game. Last year they got revenge..

9/30 Lubbock Estacado- former 4A, will not be a pushover this year..we usually meet them in the playoffs

buckeyebob
07-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Wanna trade with Abilene Wylie's non-district schedule?

Monahans scrimmage- takes place every year, and every year Wylie fans are "holy crap, glad we don't have to play them regular season"

8/26 (?) Was La Vernia, now possibly Rockdale

9/2 Stephenville- 4A playoff team

9/9 Graham- played in the 3A state finals (D2) two seasons ago, still has plenty of good players and coaching.

9/16- Waco High- 4A, should be improved from last year

9/23 Lucas Lovejoy- need I say more? This team gave us an epic battle in 09 and almost kept Wylie out of the state title game. Last year they got revenge..

9/30 Lubbock Estacado- former 4A, will not be a pushover this year..we usually meet them in the playoffs

Trade?.. we got...two defending state champions in district play...one defending state champion for our Homecoming...another picked by FNF as #1 & state champ, Campbell rates 'um #2, two 4A rated teams & a #1 (Campbell), #6 (FNF) rated.

bwdlionfan
07-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Trade?.. we got...two defending state champions in district play...one defending state champion for our Homecoming...another picked by FNF as #1 & state champ, Campbell rates 'um #2, two 4A rated teams & a #1 (Campbell), #6 (FNF) rated.

Sounds tough, BUT we are in the only 3A district to have a 4A school in it!!!

1st and goal
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
This is the first year in many that the Buffs aren't ranked in the top 25. I guess that takes the pressure off the new coach but I hope it gives the team "something to prove".

We have some tremendous talent at key positions. Guess we all have to wait until the season starts up like everyone else.

After further thought, I've decided that it DOES put pressure on the new coach to get us back in the top ranks.

buff4ever
07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
I am thinking we will come out 3-2 before district starts, and in no order Giddings, Navasota, and La Grange get out of district. Caldwell and rockdale will be down more than normal, and Smithville well.

fanofthegame
07-25-2011, 09:04 AM
After further thought, I've decided that it DOES put pressure on the new coach to get us back in the top ranks.

asked around your town this last weekend at a fish fry and this is what i heard....burnet will be a tough team, good coaches and good kids. brookshir royal, not as good as in the past, lost alot to graduation so this team on a scale of 1-5 should be a 2+, lavernia, will get better as the year goes on, not that good that early. elgin, sorry if anyone is from there, they are not a good team, period. kids over there do not know how to win, they are not hungry for it so it will continue as the years past, they are not good. wos, well, lets just say, if the rumors are true that the new coach is trying to get this game cancelled, because of budget issues, wink wink, that will be the best thing. that could be a long trip home after that game....

hookandladder
07-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I would not say it is any tougher then La Grange Preseason schedule.

Liberty Hill- Scrimmage
Cuero- Scrimmage

Lockhart -Away
Yoakum-Away
West Columbia- Home
Sealy-Home
Bellville-Away

Should have a pretty good idea of how we stand heading into District.

BigGreen61
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Cuero has the hardest preseason schedule in 3A hands down:

Lockhart-Scrimmage
LaGrange-Scrimmage

Wimberley-Away
Liberty Hill-Away
Bellville-Away
4A PL Calhoun-Home

Could possibly go 0-4 before district, but in the Gobbler Capital of the world that's not going to happen!

Chillfan
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Chapel Hills is no walk in the park.

Palestine WW - been down for awhile.
Whitehouse - 4a that went several deep last year.
Carthage - possible 4 in a row
Hallsville - 4a with good depth. A good test for our big boys.
Lindale - in the top 3a 25

GrTigers6
07-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Ours is pretty tough too, not to mention the district schedule.
Grandview- scrimmage
La Vega - Scrimmage
Brigdeport-there
China Spring- here
Mineral Wells -there
Gatesville- here
Castleberry- here
then the real tough one
District,
Venus-there
Kennedale- here
West- there
Hillsboro -here
Alvarado- there

Rabid Cougar
07-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Ours is pretty tough too, not to mention the district schedule.
Grandview- scrimmage
La Vega - Scrimmage
Brigdeport-there
China Spring- here
Mineral Wells -there
Gatesville- here
Castleberry- here
then the real tough one
District,
Venus-there
Kennedale- here
West- there
Hillsboro -here
Alvarado- there

I see of one for sure loss in the 2nd week of pre-district.

GrTigers6
07-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I see of one for sure loss in the 2nd week of pre-district. For Yall?:D :stirpot::wave:

Rabid Cougar
07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
For Yall?:D :stirpot::wave:
Pretty much going to be our only for sure win in predistrict .. we also have Brownwood, Libery Hill and Mexia.

jason
07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
stephenville's non-district:

vs 4a aledo (16-0), state champs
@ 3a abilene wylie (5-7), lost in 2nd round
vs 3a brownwood (14-1), lost in semi-finals
@ 5a lewisville hebron (6-4), missed playoffs
@ 5a mesquite horn (9-5), lost in regional final)

will have to work to be 2-3, the two games they are most likely to win are vs brownwood and abilene wylie...

MGAR
07-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Gilmers schedule could be considered tough..

Pre-Season
@ Atlanta
@ Tatum
@ Jacksonville
@ Liberty-Eylau
Daingerfield

District
@ Gladewater
Carthage
@ Spring Hill
Henderson
@ Pittsburg

Nothing like your only 3 home games being against defending state champs.. Also, homecoming against a defending champ lol...

Old Tiger
07-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Lockhart-Scrimmage
LaGrange-Scrimmage

Wimberley-Away
Liberty Hill-Away
Bellville-Away
4A PL Calhoun-Home

Could possibly go 0-4 before district, but in the Gobbler Capital of the world that's not going to happen!

About 2-4 years ago that schedule is a lot tougher because Bellville was still really good.

1st and goal
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Well I guess I'm gonna have to start going to the booster club meetings to get some info. Anyone over in WOS have a feel for their team this year?

1st and goal
07-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Lockhart-Scrimmage
LaGrange-Scrimmage

Wimberley-Away
Liberty Hill-Away
Bellville-Away
4A PL Calhoun-Home

I think PL Calhoun stands to be the toughest, followed by Wimberley. I was hoping y'all would shove one of the Victoria teams around.

Is Liberty Hill back? Are panther fans taking a wait and see attitude similar to Buff fans? What does the coaches' poll have y'all panthers ranked?

griff
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
WO-S is switching from the spread to a multiple-I offense. Our new HC believes we have the hosses upfront to make holes and a couple of good tailbacks return. As usual, speed all over the field. The defense has eight returning starters, which has always been the strength of most WO-S teams. BTW...the new HC (Cornel Thompson) has been Coach Hooks right arm for more than 20 years of coaching together. There really isn't a "transition" at all concerning the coaching. The biggest adjustment will be the change on offense. WO-S has always emphasized defense more than anything else, and now with a more rushing oriented offense, this will give the defense more time to rest and finish strong in the 4th quarter.

They will be good. Top 10 good, yes, but I'm not sure if they're top 5 good just yet. We have preseason games against Nederland (decent 4A team), Friendswood, Kirbyville, Jasper, and Giddings that will tell us plenty about how good we are early on, especially the Friendswood game.

Our district is mostly weak, with only Silsbee and Bridge City putting up a fight. Turnovers have killed us in playoff games the last two years. With less spread/passing, that should cut down on the giveaways and give us a better chance to make a late season run.

Gone Fishing
07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I see of one for sure loss in the 2nd week of pre-district.

Wimberley not too cream puff either.

Scrimage (3 way with Marble Falls- 4A and Hays Lehmen- 5A)
Scrimage - Giddings

Cureo
Dripping Springs (4A)
Lavernia
Smithville
Sealy

District-
Caynon Lake
Fredicksburg
Boerne
Bandera
Navarro

1st and goal
07-30-2011, 02:48 PM
We played Liberty Hill preseason for a couple of years back in their prime. Not sure what happened to that rivalry. I remember they were usually some close games.

I am anxious about this season. We have some great talent but not sure of the depth. Hope the new coach can get it into gear quickly. Put her in 4WD, rev her up, and side step the clutch type of "git her going"...