PDA

View Full Version : Should High Schools Follow the Lead of Southlkae Carroll?

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:09 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=145871437&mid=145871437&sid=984&style=2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all the talk of the Longhorn Network broadcasting Texas High School games and ESPN, FOX and local networks like TXA 21 in Dallas doing high school games, I think its high time the high schools start benefitting from these games being put on TV.

For those of you who don't know the Dragons will not let their games be broadcast on TV unless they get an undisclosed fee. At first I thought it was kind of arrogant, but with the encroachment of TV happening more each season I've realized that these networks are basically using the high schools for free programming. The benefit to Texas High Schools is zero. Ask coaches and they'll tell you its usually more of a pain than anything else.

I doubt the UIL ever implements this across the board, but I do think individual schools should look at Southlake and follow their lead, why shouldn't the schools benefit from having their games on TV? Thoughts??

jason
07-22-2011, 08:10 AM
copperas cove vs southlake carroll during week 0 would be a cool tv game...

Old LB
07-22-2011, 08:19 AM
If the networks want to show these games then they should compensate the school IMO. I do prefer to go to the game and watch from the stands though. The announcers for the high school games are horrible most of the time.

RoyceTTU
07-22-2011, 08:23 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=421&tid=145871437&mid=145871437&sid=984&style=2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all the talk of the Longhorn Network broadcasting Texas High School games and ESPN, FOX and local networks like TXA 21 in Dallas doing high school games, I think its high time the high schools start benefitting from these games being put on TV.

For those of you who don't know the Dragons will not let their games be broadcast on TV unless they get an undisclosed fee. At first I thought it was kind of arrogant, but with the encroachment of TV happening more each season I've realized that these networks are basically using the high schools for free programming. The benefit to Texas High Schools is zero. Ask coaches and they'll tell you its usually more of a pain than anything else.

I doubt the UIL ever implements this across the board, but I do think individual schools should look at Southlake and follow their lead, why shouldn't the schools benefit from having their games on TV? Thoughts??

Just playing devils advocate(i'm not actually sure of my opinion yet).......

If a UIL rule is put in place for compensation, should UIL manage it and should the revenue go to the team or district or classification or equally distributed etc......

????I don't know

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Just playing devils advocate(i'm not actually sure of my opinion yet).......

If a UIL rule is put in place for compensation, should UIL manage it and should the revenue go to the team or district or classification or equally distributed etc......

????I don't know

I'd say the district..kind of like conferences split bowl revenue

RoyceTTU
07-22-2011, 08:25 AM
I'd say the district..kind of like conferences split bowl revenue

So district splits and each and individual school sets their price and scheduling or a district rep does all that?

MGAR
07-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Keller needs to do this so they don't have to charge students 130 bucks or so semester to ride bus to school.

Ranger Mom
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Keller needs to do this so they don't have to charge students 130 bucks or so semester to ride bus to school.

WHAT?!?! Are you serious?

jason
07-22-2011, 08:31 AM
WHAT?!?! Are you serious?ya - resident's voted down a property tax increase so the district said fine, we'll get it somewhere else...

MGAR
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
WHAT?!?! Are you serious?

Oh yea.. Its actually 150 a semester...

Keller ISD superintendent respondent that due to budget cuts, and the lack of support for a property tax increase they really did not have much choice.

People arent happy about it.. Some say to charge athletes, bands, cheer teams... to ride buses to games..

bobcat1
07-22-2011, 08:35 AM
My thoughts are if the school is stout enough to get a fee then have at it. I don't see it needing to be managed by the UIL or split amongst the district. If you earn the fee by being good enough to warrant the fee, keep it if you get it.

Ranger Mom
07-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Keller ISD superintendent respondent that due to budget cuts, and the lack of support for a property tax increase they really did not have much choice.

People arent happy about it.. Some say to charge athletes, bands, cheer teams... to ride buses to games..

Wow!! I had 5 kids that could have ridden the bus...I would have been broke. They never had to ride the bus since I arranged my work schedule around their school hours and took them and picked them up.

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM

My kids had to put 135 a semester to ride the bus last year in Keller. It's because we live less than two miles from the school...we live like 1.8 lol

Pendragon13
07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
This is a tough one for me. On one hand it isn't right that ESPN (or any other network) benefits without contributing anything to the schools involved, but on the other hand there are many lower profile programs who will never get broadcast. The powerful get more powerful, while the weak stay where they are. In any case, other than maybe state championship games...I doubt networks make a huge amount of money broadcasting high school games.

Ranger Mom
07-22-2011, 08:45 AM
My kids had to put 135 a semester to ride the bus last year in Keller. It's because we live less than two miles from the school...we live like 1.8 lol

So it's just the kids who live 2 miles or closer that have to pay??

MGAR
07-22-2011, 08:46 AM

dang.. to heck with that...

I can hear the old timers now... "back in my day we used to walk up hill 20 miles barefooted in the snow" as like it was straight out of a scene from The Waltons.

For that much money just to ride the yellow dog Id better get drinks and food and to be able to sit where I want... Also money back in the event of snow days.

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:49 AM
So it's just the kids who live 2 miles or closer that have to pay??

Last year that was the way it is...this year its anyone who wants to ride has to pay

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:50 AM
dang.. to heck with that...

I can hear the old timers now... "back in my day we used to walk up hill 20 miles barefooted in the snow" as like it was straight out of a scene from The Waltons.

For that much money just to ride the yellow dog Id better get drinks and food and to be able to sit where I want... Also money back in the event of snow days.

I pretty much had to pay, we live on a busy city street so asking a 10 and 9 year old girl to walk that far every day wasn't really an option per my wife...lol

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:53 AM
This is a tough one for me. On one hand it isn't right that ESPN (or any other network) benefits without contributing anything to the schools involved, but on the other hand there are many lower profile programs who will never get broadcast. The powerful get more powerful, while the weak stay where they are. In any case, other than maybe state championship games...I doubt networks make a huge amount of money broadcasting high school games.

They probably don't...but why should the networks benefit w/free programming and the schools get none?? As for the lower profile teams not getting broadcast...that's the case now..

Ranger Mom
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Last year that was the way it is...this year its anyone who wants to ride has to pay

LOL!! "Anyone who WANTS to ride.." that made me laugh!! My kids absolutely HATED having to ride the bus...they never WANTED to ride it. Greenwood school district is HUGE, some people live closer to Garden City than Greenwood but are still in the Greenwood school district, they don't have much choice but to ride the bus. Lots of people around here wouldn't be able to afford that if they started charging.

Old LB
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I pretty much had to pay, we live on a busy city street so asking a 10 and 9 year old girl to walk that far every day wasn't really an option per my wife...lol

Back in the day you could let your kids walk to school and feel safe about it. These days I would not even consider it.

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL!! "Anyone who WANTS to ride.." that made me laugh!! My kids absolutely HATED having to ride the bus...they never WANTED to ride it. Greenwood school district is HUGE, some people live closer to Garden City than Greenwood but are still in the Greenwood school district, they don't have much choice but to ride the bus. Lots of people around here wouldn't be able to afford that if they started charging.

My kids actually like riding the bus...lol I thought it was fun up until 9th grade..then it was lame

Ranger Mom
07-22-2011, 09:02 AM
My kids actually like riding the bus...lol I thought it was fun up until 9th grade..then it was lame

My 3 kids have never ridden a bus to school, but my step-sons rode it home every day before we got married. I checked into the bus route and they were picked up at 7:15 in the morning (and they were the last pickup because we are only 2.1 miles from the school) and they were the last ones let off, which meant they got out of school at 3:30 but didn't get home till around 4:30. They were SO GLAD when we got married and I would pick them up....we would be home by 3:40 at the latest.

MGAR
07-22-2011, 09:07 AM
They probably don't...but why should the networks benefit w/free programming and the schools get none?? As for the lower profile teams not getting broadcast...that's the case now..

If the power schools started charging a fee then the lower profiled schools could see more action on the tube.

What about schools now that have local coverage on the tube? Start charging the local stations?

What about the state championship games? Think UIL would let the schools "charge"?

MGAR
07-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Wasn't lame for me, it was embarrassing.. Used to always get off at the school last and had to make sure no one was looking...

Pendragon13
07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Total equality will never happen no matter what, but as it is now at least the "have-not" schools can at least know that most of the teams being broadcast aren't benefitting beyond the exposure..

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Total equality will never happen no matter what, but as it is now at least the "have-not" schools can at least know that most of the teams being broadcast aren't benefitting beyond the exposure..

I believe those schools should benefit though...part of the price for being wanted...

UIL ain't letting no one in on that state championship money...which sucks...

As for the local stations that's an interesting dilemma..I know a lot of local cable access channels in DFW will do game broadcasts..Irving and Arlington ISD I think...they obviously don't have the money so maybe an exception is made for local channels?? I'm just tired of the high schools being whored out for free programming and really not benefitting in the least.

Trashman
07-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I can see the UIL taking this over and charging fees, with them getting a big chunk of it before passing the crumbs to the schools.:ack!:

Old Tiger
07-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Too bad Todd Dodge isn't coaching SLC....I understand them wanting a fee then but now its kinda meh

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Too bad Todd Dodge isn't coaching SLC....I understand them wanting a fee then but now its kinda meh

got an e-mail from someone at Legacy Sports letting me know that schools in Houston are already charging for TV and radio broadcast rights...usually for radio its 100$ per game..

Maroon87
07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
The UIL already does webcasts for championship games in multiple sports (the quality is bad, but that's a whole other ball of wax)...what's to stop them from getting involved as the broadcast provider and negotiating fees on behalf of the schools featured in each game? I'm sure they don't have the resources for something of that scale right now but it might be something for them to consider. It gives them and the schools a lot more control than they have at the present time.

Roughneck93
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I say have at it. Nothing wrong with these schools getting a little money in return to broadcast their games.

Old Tiger
07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
The UIL already does webcasts for championship games in multiple sports (the quality is bad, but that's a whole other ball of wax)...what's to stop them from getting involved as the broadcast provider and negotiating fees on behalf of the schools featured in each game? I'm sure they don't have the resources for something of that scale right now but it might be something for them to consider. It gives them and the schools a lot more control than they have at the present time.I bet LHN is going to pay off UIL for exclusive rights for the broadcast of HS games in Texas so therefore Texas has a recruiting advantage!

Boycott! SECede!

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
got an e-mail from someone at Legacy Sports letting me know that schools in Houston are already charging for TV and radio broadcast rights...usually for radio its 100$ per game..

More schools charge than people realize for radio...At the beginning of the year if the contract is up those ISDs have broadcast companies submit bids