View Full Version : Stump Godfrey

buckeyebob
07-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Not sure what is going on here:

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/sports/ncaa/stump-godfrey-leaving-lobos

:eek::eek:

MGAR
07-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Was told that he was taking his talents to...........................University of Hawaii

Pendragon13
07-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Just speculation, but I think he realized that he wasn't going to get any national exposure with UNM. The kid definitely has talent and raw athleticism..I saw that myself when he dismantled the best defense Wylie has put together in recent memory. (starters didn't allow a score until mid-season)

What he needs is good coaching to improve his pocket passing skills..

waterboy
07-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I got this from a reliable source on another website:

"The New Mexico quarterback situation became more clear today as Stump Godfrey decided to transfer. Godfrey is eligible to transfer to any non-Mountain West or anyone on the future Lobo schedule through 2015.

Those banned schools include:

Air Force
Colorado State
Hawaii
UNLV
Wyoming
Nevada
Fresno State
Boise State
San Diego State
Texas Tech
New Mexico State
Texas
UTEP
Arizona State

So that is not too many schools to be restricted from, but expect Godfrey to go to a school in the state of Texas where he is from."

I haven't talked to anybody close to the situation yet to get more info, but I would assume this man knows what he's talking about considering this is the dad of a former player. Wherever he ends up I hope he gets to start eventually. I think he has three years of eligibility left, even if he has to sit out a year according to my sources.

poisoned10
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I read online that he missed a month's worth of voluntary workouts and was losing interest from his teammates and went and asked the HC to name him the starter or grant him his release and the coach couldn't do that so he gave him his release.

Again, just something I read online. Not saying that it's true. I wouldn't mind seeing him play for someone like Hawaii though.

Emerson1
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Hawaii is on the list of banned schools. Baylor looks good unless he expects to start right away. He could watch RGIII this year and next year. They don't have much competition coming up.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
would not shock me to see him go below D 1 Texas school so he could play right away

poisoned10
07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
would not shock me to see him go below D 1 Texas school so he could play right away

That's what everyone else seems to be doing these days.

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 11:55 AM

can't hardly blame the kids though. If they aren't going to get PT where they are at, go somewhere where else for 1 last effort to make a name for yourself.

waterboy
07-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I think a lot of the reason Stump left New Mexico is because they still had him at #3 on the QB depth chart, even after he led them to their only victory last year. I think he read the writing on the wall that there was a good chance he wouldn't get to play this season, or next, so he decided to move on.

buckeyebob
07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I know they had a new drafty from Florida on board. From a selfish standpoint, I would like to see him within "Road Trip" distance.

Daddy D 11
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
i would love for him to come to baylor

SHSBulldog00
07-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I would love to see him come to Sam Houston..............but he could end up at TCU......Moving to the Big East and in need of a QB?

95mustang
07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I would love to see him come to Sam Houston..............but he could end up at TCU......Moving to the Big East and in need of a QB?

What makes you think TCU needs a QB?

hollywood
07-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Sam Houston would get him a starting gig for sure... TCU? No way, they've got a QB for the next 2 years.

I could see him at UofH, Baylor, or even A&M.

Saggy Aggie
07-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Sam Houston would get him a starting gig for sure... TCU? No way, they've got a QB for the next 2 years.

I could see him at UofH, Baylor, or even A&M.LOL, so no way because TCU has a QB?

But, you could see him at Baylor and TAMU even though they have guys named Griffin and Tannehill?

Lmao. He's not taking either of their spots (I realize Tannehill only has 1 year left). The only school of the 4 mentioned he'd have a shot at PT this year is at TCU, the one you said no way to.

Let's take off the Brownwood goggles for just a sec and see past Pachall (I guess that's spelled correctly, idk?).

Silly brownwood guys

bigwood33
07-22-2011, 03:35 AM
There are no guarantees at Sam Houston either. The kid from Sulphur Springs from a couple of years ago that had signed with Auburn transferred to SHSU so the competition would be fierce. I certainly don't know the kid but if what we read on here is accurate, he was the 3rd string QB at a school that went 1-10. Why would anyone think he could go ANYWHERE that has been mentioned and start? All of those schools are better than UNM, yes, even SHSU. I'm not sure of the situation at SFA but those guys think they are competing for a national championship and certainly isn't a lay down for Godfrey there either. FCS football is still Division 1 and is very good. Last season, in 0 week, James Madison (FCS school) beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg and VT went on to win the ACC and a BCS game. I also remember App State beating Michigan in the Big House 5 years ago so the difference in the top FCS schools and FBS programs isn't very much. SHSU and SFA are both top flight FCS programs and would both be favored over UNM, were they to play.
I wish the kid luck, whatever he decides.

Saggy Aggie
07-22-2011, 07:53 AM
There are no guarantees at Sam Houston either. The kid from Sulphur Springs from a couple of years ago that had signed with Auburn transferred to SHSU so the competition would be fierce. I certainly don't know the kid but if what we read on here is accurate, he was the 3rd string QB at a school that went 1-10. Why would anyone think he could go ANYWHERE that has been mentioned and start? All of those schools are better than UNM, yes, even SHSU. I'm not sure of the situation at SFA but those guys think they are competing for a national championship and certainly isn't a lay down for Godfrey there either. FCS football is still Division 1 and is very good. Last season, in 0 week, James Madison (FCS school) beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg and VT went on to win the ACC and a BCS game. I also remember App State beating Michigan in the Big House 5 years ago so the difference in the top FCS schools and FBS programs isn't very much. SHSU and SFA are both top flight FCS programs and would both be favored over UNM, were they to play.
I wish the kid luck, whatever he decides. didnt va tech lose to Stanford in their bowl game?

poisoned10
07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
didnt va tech lose to Stanford in their bowl game?

Yes. Stanford did work in the 2nd half.

waterboy
07-22-2011, 08:31 AM
The word I'm getting is that Stump "may" end up at Tulsa. Don't quote me on that, though.

poisoned10
07-22-2011, 08:34 AM
The word I'm getting is that Stump "may" end up at Tulsa. Don't quote me on that, though.

Wasn't Tulsa one of the teams that offered him in HS?

MGAR
07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Wasn't Tulsa one of the teams that offered him in HS?

Yea... they were about his biggest offer perhaps...

They are pretty good at molding Gilmer QBs...

SHSBulldog00
07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Did Kinne graduate from Tulsa last year?

Matthew328
07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
TCU has Pachall plus the kid from Allen who committed to Arizona originally...they also signed Boykin out of West Mesquite and they have a verbal commit from one of the top QBs in the country in Tyler Matthews...no chance

eagles_victory
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure of the situation at SFA but those guys think they are competing for a national championship and certainly isn't a lay down for Godfrey there either. We are losing the QB who rewrote the FCS record book but we have two really solid guys competing for the job so I doubt SFA would be a good option for him.

MGAR
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Did Kinne graduate from Tulsa last year?

No... This is his last year.

He is also on the Davey O'Brien watchlist.

MGAR
07-22-2011, 10:36 AM
We are losing the QB who rewrote the FCS record book but we have two really solid guys competing for the job so I doubt SFA would be a good option for him.

Also got the great Tyler Boyd in waiting... If they let him play QB.

Pendragon13
07-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Case Keenum is ending his elventeen year career at Houston this year..:thumbsup:

MGAR
07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Case Keenum is ending his elventeen year career at Houston this year..:thumbsup:

So is fromer Tatum Eagle running back Bryce Beall. :clap:

95mustang
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
TCU has Pachall plus the kid from Allen who committed to Arizona originally...they also signed Boykin out of West Mesquite and they have a verbal commit from one of the top QBs in the country in Tyler Matthews...no chance

That was the point in my question about TCU needing a QB. They have plenty of QB talent. I know Godfrey was a beast at Gilmer, but the other guys mentioned above were also beasts in High School.

I_DONT_CARE
07-22-2011, 09:02 PM
lol, so no way because tcu has a qb?

But, you could see him at baylor and tamu even though they have guys named griffin and tannehill?

Lmao. He's not taking either of their spots (i realize tannehill only has 1 year left). The only school of the 4 mentioned he'd have a shot at pt this year is at tcu, the one you said no way to.

Let's take off the brownwood goggles for just a sec and see past pachall (i guess that's spelled correctly, idk?).

Silly brownwood guys
mayBE you should take off your aggie shades. Hmmm...same color, too!

bigwood33
07-23-2011, 05:20 AM
didnt va tech lose to Stanford in their bowl game?
I forgot that Stanford came back and won that game but my point was that the top FCS programs compete at a very high level, much higher than many people think and it isn't a foregone conclusion that anyone, including Godfrey, would just sweep in and start right away, even at that level. Anywhere he goes will involve learning a new system and competing for tye starting spot, which he appearently didn't like at UNM. I wish the kid the best but he may not find the grass to be greener elsewhere.

hollywood
07-23-2011, 11:30 AM
LOL, so no way because TCU has a QB?

But, you could see him at Baylor and TAMU even though they have guys named Griffin and Tannehill?

Lmao. He's not taking either of their spots (I realize Tannehill only has 1 year left). The only school of the 4 mentioned he'd have a shot at PT this year is at TCU, the one you said no way to.

Let's take off the Brownwood goggles for just a sec and see past Pachall (I guess that's spelled correctly, idk?).

Silly brownwood guys
Chill out Saggy. Baylor does have Griffin who has been good but injury prone. UH is losing Keenum and has had injuries as well and the Aggies haven't had a solid QB since McGee. Tannehill has been decent. No maroon goggles on here, just stating that TCU does have the QB pos covered and Griffin has the talent to have a shot the other schools before he'd have one at TCU.

But hey, if Tulsa is the spot, good for him. Good kid with a lot of raw talent.

buckeyebob
07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I have not been able to verify with "for sure" person (coaching staff) but the word I have heard from the street is SMU.

Aesculus gilmus
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
No... This is his last year.

He is also on the Davey O'Brien watchlist.

That was a trick question. He DID graduate from Tulsa already. Kinne is an honor student and finished his academic studies in four years, as one would expect from someone that intelligent. But you're right that he does have one more year of athletic eligibility.

MGAR
07-24-2011, 12:20 PM
That was a trick question. He DID graduate from Tulsa already. Kinne is an honor student and finished his academic studies in four years, as one would expect from someone that intelligent. But you're right that he does have one more year of athletic eligibility.

oh ok

injuredinmelee
07-24-2011, 02:23 PM
anyone considered that maybe he just isnt good enough to play at a DI school? JUst sayin....

OldBison75
07-24-2011, 03:07 PM
My bet would be SMU--program is getting better each year and Godfrey can play a major role in that progression. Godfrey is a great athlete, but there are some things he needs alot of development on to be considered a "top tier" college QB.

As for the other schools mentioned, I think each has the QB position pretty well set right now. And, for the comment about Tannehil at Aggieland, he is much abovw decent. You are correct that the Aggies have had QB issues for several years, but Tannehill put that to rest last year. He has proven he is a winner and can run the Sherman offense with skill. Don't be surprised to hear his name alot this year.

poisoned10
07-24-2011, 05:15 PM
anyone considered that maybe he just isnt good enough to play at a DI school? JUst sayin....

He just left a DI school in which he started 3 or 4 games for last year.

You're right, he's not good enough.