PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Spin on UT networked used for recruiting

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Disclaimer----I despise most things A&M related but.....this actually got me thinking.

http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2011/7/15/2278344/espn-will-act-as-texas-version-of-will-lyles

When you look at the Will Lyles-Oregon Ducks situation, it is ironic, because there are texas fans at the root of the scandal (although writers at Barking Carnival have a hard time telling the difference between satire and racial prejudice (http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/tag/will-lyles/)). These same texas fans, who will claim outrage at the sleaziness of Lyles and the moral corruption street agents bring to college football, are suspiciously silent now that ESPN will be their personal version of Will Lyles.

How the setup works is fairly simple, if a bit ingenious. Let's say you're a high school football coach, and you have a highly recruited player on your team. You're also the athletic director of your school (common for high school head coaches in Texas) and responsible for bringing in revenue to support the athletic department. If you get your top recruit to commit to texas, ESPN will turn around and feature one of your team's games on their longhorn network. Having you football team featured on ESPN's satellite network means you receive a nice little payday for the television rights, so your get your payoff. texas gets a recruit and more content for their network (which is apparently struggling so badly to develop content to cover 24 hours a day that they are looking at televising high school football games), so they are happy. ESPN acts as the street agent to broker the deal between texas, the high school coach, and the recruit, so everyone is happy, because the NCAA wouldn't look this hard to see an obvious set-up and violation. texas fans are able to go on believing their program is pristine when it comes to NCAA rules, so they're happy. Pundits in the media will continue to talk about what an incredible recruiter Mack Brown is, so he's happy, and the texas fans are happy. Everyone is happy, except the coaches and fans of other schools who watch texas use a loophole to buy off recruits, and cheat openly, while they' have to play by a different set of rules.

Think this is far-fetched, or that it won't happen? Note that the only school so far to be contacted about having a game featured on the longhorn network (http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2011/07/08/sports/sports02.txt) is Brenham High School, which has two texas commits on their roster in Tim Cole and Malcom Brown. Coincidence? Sure. If you're a texas fan who wants to believe your school would never deal with street agents, and is pristine when it comes to following NCAA rules. For those of us who remember texas' baseball program being put on probation in 2002, texas finding new and inventive ways to skirt the rules is nothing new.

BEAST
07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Pretty tough case there against the tea sippers. To me, it isnt that far fetched.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Pretty tough case there against the tea sippers. To me, it isnt that far fetched.

BEAST

oh I think that was part of the whole reason UT wanted a network( and of course the money as well)..as far as obvious violation..as long as the network is simply showcasing future Longhorns AFTER commiting then not an issue..becomes an issue if they start using that as a way to get schools to play on the network..this article is jumping already to yes they are going to do that

Emerson1
07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll worry about it when someone from a major network that isn't ESPN brings it up. Not some tool who tries to be cool by not capitalizing the name of a school.

Old Tiger
07-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Delusional aggy got you thinking?

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Delusional aggy got you thinking?

LOL - Normally not but he has some great points.

hollywood
07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
LOL... I tell you something, it must be pretty bad down in Aggieland for a 12th man obsessed fruitloop to come up with this. Every major college is guilty of some sort of "loop hole" strategy. Ingenious. lol

Phil C
07-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Don't overlook the fact that recruits can change their mind because they aren't officially committed till they sign on the national recruiting day in February or later.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't overlook the fact that recruits can change their mind because they aren't officially committed till they sign on the national recruiting day in February or later.

I agree, it dosn't seal-the-deal. A high school coach can be VERY influential to his players. A coach promised TV time and revenue can go a LONG way with presuading a player to go to a certain school.

LIONS#1
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Here is what your looking for!!..:-)

The NCAA put Texas Tech on two years of probation Friday for a series of recruiting violations, saying 16 coaches or assistants sent nearly 1,000 impermissible text messages to football, softball and golf prospects.

Farmersfan
07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
oh I think that was part of the whole reason UT wanted a network( and of course the money as well)..as far as obvious violation..as long as the network is simply showcasing future Longhorns AFTER commiting then not an issue..becomes an issue if they start using that as a way to get schools to play on the network..this article is jumping already to yes they are going to do that

This is nothing more than UT paying a High School to help get a recruit signed.....................

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Here is what your looking for!!..:-)

The NCAA put Texas Tech on two years of probation Friday for a series of recruiting violations, saying 16 coaches or assistants sent nearly 1,000 impermissible text messages to football, softball and golf prospects.

Text messages

You picked a real winner of a violation their.:thumbsup: :taunt::taunt:

Something you forgot to mention is that this was "SELF IMPOSED SANCTION". We found the problem and willingly turned it over to the NCAA along with punishment.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
This is nothing more than UT paying a High School to help get a recruit signed.....................:iagree:

LIONS#1
07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Here is the rule and your answer....for all U Longhorn Haters!!! LMAO

The actual rule is:
13.10.3.2 Announcer for Broadcast of Prospective Student-Athlete's Athletics Contest
A member of the athletics staff of a member institution may not serve as an announcer or commentator for any athletics contest in which a prospective student-athlete is participating, or appear (in person or by means of film, audio tape or videotape) on a radio or television broadcast of such contest. This restriction does not apply to contests involving national teams in which prospective student-athletes may be participants, including the Olympic Games.

In any case, if the announcer is employed by ESPN, one of the Longhorn Network's owners, there's no violation.

:-)

LIONS#1
07-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Text messages

You picked a real winner of a violation their.:thumbsup: :taunt::taunt:

Something you forgot to mention is that this was "SELF IMPOSED SANCTION". We found the problem and willingly turned it over to the NCAA along with punishment.

ThERE ya go!:thumbsup:

LionKing
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
LOL - Normally not but he has some great points.Your rival school getting a clean 15 mil a year payout that your school ain't getting, that could be the root of it.....

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Here is the rule and your answer....for all U Longhorn Haters!!! LMAO

The actual rule is:
13.10.3.2 Announcer for Broadcast of Prospective Student-Athlete's Athletics Contest
A member of the athletics staff of a member institution may not serve as an announcer or commentator for any athletics contest in which a prospective student-athlete is participating, or appear (in person or by means of film, audio tape or videotape) on a radio or television broadcast of such contest. This restriction does not apply to contests involving national teams in which prospective student-athletes may be participants, including the Olympic Games.

In any case, if the announcer is employed by ESPN, one of the Longhorn Network's owners, there's no violation.

:-)

I think you are missing the point.
This has nothing to do with announcers.

This has to do with revenue paid from "The Longhorn Network" to a HS where a prospect plays. Ie....Malcom Brown this year with Brenham.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Your rival school getting a clean 15 mil a year payout that your school ain't getting, that could be the root of it.....

Not even close to the root, but it dosn't help...

BEAST
07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I think you are missing the point.
This has nothing to do with announcers.

This has to do with revenue paid from "The Longhorn Network" to a HS where a prospect plays. Ie....Malcom Brown this year with Brenham.

I think this thing might have legs. We will just have to wait and see.

BEAST

LIONS#1
07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
All BS aside...and I am aware I was way off point...:-P Here is a great article to back up The Longhorn Network argument!! Don't Hate ...Start your own Network!!:cheerl:

http://businessofcollegesports.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/new-header-2.jpg

More on The Longhorn Network
Yesterday I went on the Tim Brando Show (audio here) and discussed the Longhorn Network. I’ve written about this previously, and basically I have no problem with the Longhorn Network. Let me expand on my reasons why.

Some of you like to argue that college sports being operated as a business is the root of the problem. I’ve heard your concerns about your tax dollars going to support these institutions that pour money into athletic departments operating in the red. But guess what - you can’t feel that way and also preach to me about how college athletes should be paid or why Texas shouldn’t be allowed to have their own network. Feel free to disregard if none of that applies to you.

The main complaint I’m hearing regarding the Longhorn Network is that it will give Texas an unfair recruiting advantage. If you could see me, you’d know that I’m rolling my eyes. Let’s drop the facade that you care about anything other than football recruiting, because for the majority of you, you don’t. Take a look at the Longhorn’s spring football roster. There are eight players from outside the state of Texas. Eight out of ninety-eight. Texas doesn’t have to leave the state, and neither do their airwaves, in order to recruit for football.

I read one account (which I would link to if I could find again, but it wasn’t a unique argument) where the author was indeed worried about these other sports. He was concerned that athletes in sports outside of football and basketball would choose Texas because their parents could watch them on the Longhorn Network. How is this any different than an athlete from Tampa who could choose University of Florida because Sun Sports airs Florida’s softball games?

Another issue I’ve seen covered involves plans to carry high school games on the Longhorn Network. The concern is that paid employees of the Longhorn Network will have contact with recruits.

Here’s the problem with all the recruiting arguments against the Longhorn Network: they can’t get much more of an advantage than they already have. Did you know the University of Texas runs high school sports in Texas. Yes, you heard me right. In 1903, the University of Texas created the University Interscholastic League, which facilitates competitions in everything from athletics to music to academics. On its website, the University Interscholastic League states that it continues to be run by the Vice President of Diversity and Community Engagement at the University of Texas.

While the football championship games are not played on the University of Texas campus, many other sports do play their championship games (and some semi-final games) on campus, including soccer, softball, track and field and swimming. In addition, all state level academic competitions take place on University of Texas’ campus, and I’ve been told University of Texas faculty and students often judge these competitions.

Does the Longhorn Network really give Texas any recruiting advantage it doesn’t already have?

And where do you draw the line when it comes to television rights? A school can sell its third-tier rights to a regional network like Sun Sports or Comcast Sports Southeast, but they can’t own a network where they air that material. They can even be independent like Notre Dame and sell their own first tier rights, but they can’t own a network where they air games that fall under third tier rights. Schools can pool their rights and have their own conference network, but an individual school can’t have their own network.

And let’s not forget that any sport Texas shows would involve at least one other school who would be getting exposure. Don’t we want more exposure for Olympic sports? Isn’t there a chance a kid will see Baylor playing Texas in baseball and say, “Hey, I’d much rather go to a smaller school. Maybe I’ll check out Baylor.”

We’ve discussed before how only 22 schools are turning a profit without having to rely on student fees or other forms of institutional support. Shouldn’t we be encouraging more athletic departments to do whatever they can to be self-sufficient? Don’t we like to hear that Notre Dame’s athletic department gave $10 million to the university in 2009 or that Alabama’s athletic department donated $1 million to tornado relief or that Florida recently gave back $6 million to the university?

I get that not every school can do what Texas is doing. In fact, I think you only need one hand to count the schools who can.

I despise many of these everyone-has-to-be-equal arguments. Equality does not breed creativity. Equality does not motivate people. If no matter what I did my colleague was still going to be at the same level and pay as me, why would I invest more time or energy (or in the case of athletic departments, money)?

The Dallas Morning News spoke to Missouri athletics director Mike Alden who mentioned his answer to the Longhorn Network is developing applications for mobile devices.

“I think what it means for us, it means we have to continue to find ways to deliver our product,” Alden said.

Can Missouri create the same kind of financial gains with this as Texas can with their network? Of course not. But they can invent something new, something Texas hasn’t thought of. That’s what I want to see. People pushed to innovation.

You will never be able to create a perfectly even playing field. Some schools will always have larger stadiums or larger alumni bases for contributions or some other advantage. Yes, you have to draw a line somewhere. You can’t allow schools to go out and buy recruits. I simply don’t see a good reason why a school can’t own a television network and broadcast their own sports contests.

Old Tiger
07-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Longhorn Network is an extension of ESPN and it being broadcasted on the Longhorn Network is no different than if it was broadcasted on ESPN 2, ESPN U, or ESPN Classic.

Emerson1
07-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Longhorn Network is an extension of ESPN and it being broadcasted on the Longhorn Network is no different than if it was broadcasted on ESPN 2, ESPN U, or ESPN Classic.
UT has pretty much full control over what can be shown on their Network. So they have the influence with ESPN to schedule certain schools. That's why the whining is starting. Plus there wasn't a partnership before.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 04:21 PM
All BS aside...and I am aware I was way off point...:-P Here is a great article to back up The Longhorn Network argument!! Don't Hate ...Start your own Network!!:cheerl:

Of course there is an indirect advantage to having your own network and obviously not everyone can have their own. This is just a larger scale of saying "Come to Lubbock, because it's the only place your going to ______________". That is how recruiting works.

Promising something and delivering before the LOI is signed is where it gets sticky.
Targeting recruits by airing their HS football games on Television while the recruit is still in high school is absolutely crossing the line.

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I think everyone is assuming The network will pay HS schools to be on air..not really sure if that is the case..most dont pay the school for one time broadcasts

Saggy Aggie
07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
oh I think that was part of the whole reason UT wanted a network( and of course the money as well)..as far as obvious violation..as long as the network is simply showcasing future Longhorns AFTER commiting then not an issue..becomes an issue if they start using that as a way to get schools to play on the network..this article is jumping already to yes they are going to do thatI'm an Aggie, and I agree.

Longhorn network is trying to showcase 2 prospects that have already committed. It's not as if they're using this televised game to get them to recruit. If other schools wanna bitch about not having a network, maybe they ought to win some more games/ conference championships and national championships and then they could have their own network too.

Longhorns earned their channel. Props to them. I wish more Aggies would get their head outta UT's ass long enough to see straight.

As far as high school coaches getting paid to have a game televised, there are hundreds of games televised every year. Having big time recruits = getting televised.... the network that does it is irrelevant, especially if the recruits have ALREADY committed. And I'm not so sure they're getting paid anyways.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I think everyone is assuming The network will pay HS schools to be on air..not really sure if that is the case..most dont pay the school for one time broadcasts

Representatives of Athletics Interests. An institution's "responsibility" for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics program shall include responsibility for the acts of individuals, a corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization when a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration or an athetics department member has knowledge or should have knowledge that such an individual, corporate entity, or other organization:
(b) Has made financial contibutions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(e) Is otherwise involved in promoting the institution's athletic program.

At minimum ESPN is classified as a UT booster.

At that definition things get very tight as far as what you can do and what you can't do.

RoyceTTU
07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm an Aggie, and I agree.

Longhorn network is trying to showcase 2 prospects that have already committed. It's not as if they're using this televised game to get them to recruit. If other schools wanna bitch about not having a network, maybe they ought to win some more games/ conference championships and national championships and then they could have their own network too.

Longhorns earned their channel. Props to them. I wish more Aggies would get their head outta UT's ass long enough to see straight.

As far as high school coaches getting paid to have a game televised, there are hundreds of games televised every year. Having big time recruits = getting televised.... the network that does it is irrelevant, especially if the recruits have ALREADY committed. And I'm not so sure they're getting paid anyways.

I agree to some extent with you and TXB. Only thing I'm waivering is.....I think nothing should be aired until after the LOI is signed. Even at that rate it would have to be 4 years past that date because of Freshmen playing in HS that are possible recruits.

Your part about HS coaches getting paid I don't agree with.....it's totally different to be paid by a network owned by a school than it is to be paid by an independently owned station.

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 04:52 PM

At that definition things get very tight as far as what you can do and what you can't do.

then FSSW, ABC or any other medium that broadcasts, writes or talks about UT would fall under that since by the very act they show the games or discuss them is promoting UT

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree to some extent with you and TXB. Only thing I'm waivering is.....I think nothing should be aired until after the LOI is signed. Even at that rate it would have to be 4 years past that date because of Freshmen playing in HS that are possible recruits.

Your part about HS coaches getting paid I don't agree with.....it's totally different to be paid by a network owned by a school than it is to be paid by an independently owned station.

Coaches dont get paid when their team is broadcast..SCHOOLS will get expenses covered for SOME of the classics or special games IF travel is involved..but when a network is asking for a game already on schedule at most they will contribute to BOTH schools Scholly fund in the name of player of the game for that team

Pendragon13
07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
I think everyone is assuming The network will pay HS schools to be on air..not really sure if that is the case..most dont pay the school for one time broadcastsThat's the question that I had in mind. If ESPN (which isn't owned by UT) makes the decision to air certain high school games, and the schools don't get any money from that then technically nothing is fishy here. We can speculate about how much influence UT has with ESPN beyond airing their own games per agreement, but that's just speculation at this point.

hollywood
07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Other universities in the state and around the country can be just as innovative and create a similar program or other means for revenue. Trust me, alumni and fans of those schools would jump all over it if their school could do the same thing. UT is the largest in Texas and one of the largest in the nation... so why even argue? :)

Txbroadcaster
07-18-2011, 05:41 PM
And on this note..today

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/18/longhorn-network-ncaa-working-out-high-school-game-kinks/

eagles_victory
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM

At that definition things get very tight as far as what you can do and what you can't do. Hope you stretched you might pull something reaching this far.

NastySlot
07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
hey im an aggie....and to be honest I really don't lose sleep over ESiPN (that i was just a joke)......but I don't understand how in the long run this will be good for college football or other sports.........to me i could eventually see the breaking up college up football more so than now into have and have nots..............I know my university is a have not....but i don't know if the folks running the show know how far behind texas, usc, ohio state, alabama we are............texas has a network good for them....it s only a matter of time until others like ohio state, alabama, florida have theirs also.

i get a laugh at is all the horn fans....and I grew up with a lot and work with a lot...that use to belly ache about Notre Dame having have all their games televised (there were other fans also not just horns)....but a network is cool now..........and than the funniest thing is how ESPN hated the horns...loved USC...they don't know anything at ESPN...too much east coast bias........well now ESPN is the greatest network ever....well at least since they gave them a network.

Credit where credit is due......good move texas.....it's great financial move it also sells the university. Also......i think brenham as few other kids be recruited that are commited to a&m...............the network is going to be good to showcase other kids also.

eagles_victory
07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
hey im an aggie....and to be honest I really don't lose sleep over ESiPN (that i was just a joke)......but I don't understand how in the long run this will be good for college football or other sports.........to me i could eventually see the breaking up college up football more so than now into have and have nots..............I know my university is a have not....but i don't know if the folks running the show know how far behind texas, usc, ohio state, alabama we are............texas has a network good for them....it s only a matter of time until others like ohio state, alabama, florida have theirs also.

i get a laugh at is all the horn fans....and I grew up with a lot and work with a lot...that use to belly ache about Notre Dame having have all their games televised (there were other fans also not just horns)....but a network is cool now..........and than the funniest thing is how ESPN hated the horns...loved USC...they don't know anything at ESPN...too much east coast bias........well now ESPN is the greatest network ever....well at least since they gave them a network.

Credit where credit is due......good move texas.....it's great financial move it also sells the university. Also......i think brenham as few other kids be recruited that are commited to a&m...............the network is going to be good to showcase other kids also. Never heard any Texas fans that I know complaining about Notre Dames network. Who would complain about ND when is the last time they were relevant?

NastySlot
07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Never heard any Texas fans that I know complaining about Notre Dames network. Who would complain about ND when is the last time they were relevant?

are you even old enough to remember the year they started Notre (dame) Broadcasting Company?.............they complained just like many other college fans.

you know when they were last relevant.......and you also know that at anytime one good season will put them back in the spotlight. Showing their games has done a lot of money making for them.

LIONS#1
07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Never heard any Texas fans that I know complaining about Notre Dames network. Who would complain about ND when is the last time they were relevant?
Noder Dame??? Who are They?..LOL:sleeping:

LionKing
07-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Credit where credit is due......good move texas.....it's great financial move it also sells the university. Also......i think brenham as few other kids be recruited that are commited to a&m...............the network is going to be good to showcase other kids also.I was one of those that belly ached, when I turned on my tv for college football saturday, I wanted to see Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and the rest of the old SWC teams, not Notre Dame vs. Purdue, I wanted to watch the Texas teams playing with players I'd either seen or at least knew of, with Notre Dame you'd never even heard of those players with maybe the exception of 2-3 players, but I gave kudos to ND for getting accomplished what they did, just didn't care to watch football from South Bend Indiana.

RoyceTTU
07-19-2011, 06:35 AM
That's the question that I had in mind. If ESPN (which isn't owned by UT) makes the decision to air certain high school games, and the schools don't get any money from that then technically nothing is fishy here. We can speculate about how much influence UT has with ESPN beyond airing their own games per agreement, but that's just speculation at this point.

This guy said it best so no sense in re-inventing the wheel
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/7/18/2281507/ut-athletic-director-deloss-dodds-thinks-youre-an-idiot

Dodds said the Texas athletic department will not be involved with selecting high school games on LHN. He said the university "intends to be safe and ESPN to be safe when it comes to NCAA issues."

"ESPN will select the games based on what they feel is best," Dodds said. "We understand that this is a new world and that we're leading the way in an area that is new to us and new to the NCAA and new to ESPN. Like everything else, we will do it in a first-class way, in the light of day, and we will do it the right way."

So for those of you out there who, such as myself, are not fans of the University of Texas and might have just missed what he actually said there I'll translate. What Dodds actually meant to say was "If you actually believe that ESPN will select the high school games on LHN, you are the one of the stupidest human beings on the face of the planet the University of Texas will happily enjoy mocking you from our newly constructed burnt orange ivory tower."

Farmersfan
07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
All you guys supporting the Longhorns Network in this are simply burying your heads in the sand. UT already has all the normal advantages in their recruiting and now they are manufacturing more advantages. Some of you would not see the trees for the forest if the neighborhood Dentist dropped off a box of candy to the daycare every week! I couldn't care less about this except for the fact that in 25 years when the top 10 schools in this country have their own networks and we are constantly bombarded by recruiting violations related to those networks I will have to sit around in my rocking chair on the front porch eating apple sauce while trying to get someone to believe that "I TOLD YOU SO"!!! And I hate that....................

Old Tiger
07-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I think everyone is assuming The network will pay HS schools to be on air..not really sure if that is the case..most dont pay the school for one time broadcastsYup, it is an honor to be selected but I don't think the HS get any revenue from a broadcasted game aside from the people in attendance. Ironically I read on TexAgs that the aggy fan base is going to maroon out this game to spite UT.

Old Tiger
07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Never heard any Texas fans that I know complaining about Notre Dames network. Who would complain about ND when is the last time they were relevant?ND would be a good network because of their Catholic following. A certain poster on here respects the Catholic Church.

BYU has had their own network for quite sometime and they have a huge following because of the Mormons.

OldBison75
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Is the network an advantage in recruiting--YES! Do the high schools involved get paid---NO! Who decides who gets televised--probably ESPN with recommendations from UT!

However, with these high school games being televised, every fan and school in the conference will have the opportunity to see some great prospects and possibly find some top recruits for their programs also. Just because a Longhorn recruit or prospect is being highlighted, does not mean that there won't be a sleeper that show another school some promise.

LIONS#1
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Well truth of the matter is UT can only recruit so many players per year:1popcorn:...it isn't like they can recruit all the good players and leave only the not so good players...LMAO This is a big State and there is an abundance of great athletes out there to recruit. So put on yer big boy pants and get over it!!

Farmersfan
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=LIONS#1;1594045..it isn't like they can recruit all the good players and leave only the not so good players..[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not in the past! But what kind of changes will this recruiting "TOOL" bring to the recruiting landscape? Will a high school coach tell his star senior that if he agrees to sign with Texas then the whole team will benefit from TV exposure? Only a moron would think that wouldn't happen......... Just sayin'!

RoyceTTU
07-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Representatives of Athletics Interests. An institution's "responsibility" for the conduct of its intercollegiate athletics program shall include responsibility for the acts of individuals, a corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization when a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration or an athetics department member has knowledge or should have knowledge that such an individual, corporate entity, or other organization:
(b) Has made financial contibutions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(e) Is otherwise involved in promoting the institution's athletic program

(b) ESPN is financially bound to the LHN network because of the contract. This is no different than NIKE and Oregon. Is Phillip Knight allowed to speak to recruits:tisk::tisk:

(e) ESPN is obviously involved in the promoting of UT athletics. Otherwise the network would fold and ESPN would be out a very large investment.

Together both of these classify ESPN as a booster of UT athletics

Radio/TV Show. A member institution shall not permit a prospective student-athlete or a high school, college preparatory school or two-year college coach to appear, be interviewed or otherwise be involved (in person or via film, audio tape or videotape) on:
(c) A program for which the member of the institution's athletics staff has been instrumental in arranging for the appearance of the prospective student-athlete or coach or related program material.

Because ESPN has a financial interest in the company as lined out in rule 6.4.2, any appearance on TV facilitated by the network is violation of 13.10.3.

If the NCAA is serious about cleaning up recruiting, here is a gapping hole that needs to be fixed.

eagles_victory
07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Perhaps not in the past! But what kind of changes will this recruiting "TOOL" bring to the recruiting landscape? Will a high school coach tell his star senior that if he agrees to sign with Texas then the whole team will benefit from TV exposure? Only a moron would think that wouldn't happen......... Just sayin'! If you have the head coaches pressuring kids to sign with UT because it benefits them and the program we have bigger problems than football recruiting violations.

NastySlot
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Well truth of the matter is UT can only recruit so many players per year:1popcorn:...it isn't like they can recruit all the good players and leave only the not so good players...LMAO This is a big State and there is an abundance of great athletes out there to recruit. So put on yer big boy pants and get over it!!

exactly....it s a big market for talent and like i said i'm an aggie............i have been very impressed with the talent the aggies are going after in louisiana..........add those recruits with the in state ones and well be alright.

hopefully we'll quit talking about it and finally just SECede.....i know i know we'll take our lumps for awhile.....but you gotta get out of the shadow of the other university sometime.

Pendragon13
07-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I know this isn't exactly the topic, but is the Longhorn network going to be on basic/expanded cable (or low tier sat package) or will you have to step up to some kind of extra cost sports package? The reason I ask is that if it's the latter....some of the games that would normally be on network tv or regular EPSN won't be seen by some recruits.

Roughneck93
07-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Looks like A&M will have The Longhorn Network on their agenda.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texas/7659012.html

(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texas/7659012.html)

NastySlot
07-19-2011, 09:57 PM
I know this isn't exactly the topic, but is the Longhorn network going to be on basic/expanded cable (or low tier sat package) or will you have to step up to some kind of extra cost sports package? The reason I ask is that if it's the latter....some of the games that would normally be on network tv or regular EPSN won't be seen by some recruits.

i thought i read that there are only two football games scheduled...right now.................mark your calander the network is going to debut with volleyball......that ought to get the masses tuned in.

eagles_victory
07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
i thought i read that there are only two football games scheduled...right now.................mark your calander the network is going to debut with volleyball......that ought to get the masses tuned in. Lot of hate Im smelling coming from Stonewall Tx.

NastySlot
07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
nah...not hate...there is already too much hate in the world for me to add to it............just making light of the situation.

Roughneck93
07-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Oklahoma's own television network on the horizon?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/oklahomas-television-channel-apparently-hitting-a-snag/

Pendragon13
07-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Oklahoma's own television network on the horizon?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/oklahomas-television-channel-apparently-hitting-a-snag/The "snag" in that whole thing is the fact that even though OU sports are the most popular thing going in Oklahoma....they don't have a top 10, or even top 25 tv market in the entire state. In fact Oklahoma city is somewhere around 45th in the nation. Of course they aren't far from the #5 market, (DFW, Texas) but I would guess there aren't enough OU fans to really make a difference numbers wise.

NastySlot
07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
The "snag" in that whole thing is the fact that even though OU sports are the most popular thing going in Oklahoma....they don't have a top 10, or even top 25 tv market in the entire state. In fact Oklahoma city is somewhere around 45th in the nation. Of course they aren't far from the #5 market, (DFW, Texas) but I would guess there aren't enough OU fans to really make a difference numbers wise.

i was thinking the dfw and entire n. texas area would be a great percentage of the market for the ou network...........a lot fans and alumni in n. texas.

hollywood
07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
(b) ESPN is financially bound to the LHN network because of the contract. This is no different than NIKE and Oregon. Is Phillip Knight allowed to speak to recruits:tisk::tisk:

(e) ESPN is obviously involved in the promoting of UT athletics. Otherwise the network would fold and ESPN would be out a very large investment.

Together both of these classify ESPN as a booster of UT athletics

Because ESPN has a financial interest in the company as lined out in rule 6.4.2, any appearance on TV facilitated by the network is violation of 13.10.3.

If the NCAA is serious about cleaning up recruiting, here is a gapping hole that needs to be fixed.

Where's the contract?

RoyceTTU
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Where's the contract?

The contract ESPN and UT signed

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2011/07/11/longhorn-network-announces-internship-opportunity-students

The University’s 20-year agreement with ESPN to broadcast exclusive coverage of UT athletic and academic events will bring $300 million to the University and its licensing and marketing firm

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I just think alot of people are worried about alot of what ifs before we even see how things are going to work and shake out.

Maroon87
07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm a Longhorn fan and to me this whole thing doesn't feel right for some reason. I think it was a smart move for UT in the short term, but ESPN, despite what they stand to gain financially from this, has put themselves in position (yet again) to have their journalistic motives questioned when reporting on/covering college athletics.

I really can't see this thing surviving too long without big problems on one side or the other.

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm a Longhorn fan and to me this whole thing doesn't feel right for some reason. I think it was a smart move for UT in the short term, but ESPN, despite what they stand to gain financially from this, has put themselves in position (yet again) to have their journalistic motives questioned when reporting on/covering college athletics.

I really can't see this thing surviving too long without big problems on one side or the other.

I think alot of people hink Texas will have more control than they actually will..Texas is not paying for this they are getting paid..So if Texas says hey we dont like how you talked about us on college football live..ESPN can say oh well..What is texas going to do? pull out and lose the money?

RoyceTTU
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I think alot of people hink Texas will have more control than they actually will..Texas is not paying for this they are getting paid..So if Texas says hey we dont like how you talked about us on college football live..ESPN can say oh well..What is texas going to do? pull out and lose the money?

This is an exerpt from the contract

“In the event that UT reasonably determines that any on-air talent does not reflect the quality and reputation desired by UT for the Network based on inappropriate statements made or actions taken by such talent and so notifies ESPN, ESPN will cause such talent to be promptly replaced (and will in any event no longer allow them on air following such notice).”

hollywood
07-20-2011, 01:06 PM
This is an exerpt from the contract Beautiful.

MGAR
07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Here is the way I look at it...

It gives me the chance to see a game on TV that I would not see in person.

Old Tiger
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Is the network an advantage in recruiting--YES! Do the high schools involved get paid---NO! Who decides who gets televised--probably ESPN with recommendations from UT!

However, with these high school games being televised, every fan and school in the conference will have the opportunity to see some great prospects and possibly find some top recruits for their programs also. Just because a Longhorn recruit or prospect is being highlighted, does not mean that there won't be a sleeper that show another school some promise.DeLoss said that ESPN is in charge of deciding what games get broadcasted on the Longhorn Network.

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
This is an exerpt from the contract

That clause is for the LHN only and is standard in EVERY broadcast agreement between schools and radio or pros and radio or TV

I was talking about like on College football live on ESPN or Saturday football shows on ESPN..Texas wont have a say in what those guys are going to say

hollywood
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Texas Tech will always have the "Red Headed Step Child" syndrome. Let's focus on them for while... oh wait, what's there to talk about??:wave:

RoyceTTU
07-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Texas Tech will always have the "Red Headed Step Child" syndrome. Let's focus on them for while... oh wait, what's there to talk about??:wave:

WHATCHIT!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Honestly, it doesn't bother me they have their own network and I'm envious because we don't have our own. Only thing that bothers me is when it impedes the recruiting process. If indeed this is the LHN, then what's the problem with showing LH sports only. Anything other than that is targeting specific players/teams.

I'll go a step further and said it wouldn't even bother me if LHN went to the UIL and said
"I would like air all the state championship games"
or
"Profile the #1 ranked 5a team in week 4"
etc....

The difference is is they are not profiling one specific team. They are instead showing an event, it's a huge difference.....

Txbroadcaster
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Honestly, it doesn't bother me they have their own network and I'm envious because we don't have our own. Only thing that bothers me is when it impedes the recruiting process. If indeed this is the LHN, then what's the problem with showing LH sports only. Anything other than that is targeting specific players/teams.

I'll go a step further and said it wouldn't even bother me if LHN went to the UIL and said
or
etc....

The difference is is they are not profiling one specific team. They are instead showing an event, it's a huge difference.....

I think at some point they might just do that...right now ESPN folks are saying..ok how can we get the Longhorn fanbase to watch...so they go well lets show them UT commits at the HS level they would normally not see until they are in college. People are assuming UT is behind that, but IMO it is simply ESPN trying to find content that pertains to UT in the network's first year

hollywood
07-20-2011, 04:07 PM
QUOTE=RoyceTTU;1594241]WHATCHIT!!!:mad::mad::mad:

or
etc....

The difference is is they are not profiling one specific team. They are instead showing an event, it's a huge difference.....[/QUOTE]

:clap: Just messin with ya brotha! I actually don't think they went into this specifically thinking they will get more or better recruits, come on, we are talking about the University of Texas. So many kids already dream of getting to put on the burnt orange and white. I think what so many others have stated is more in line... they (UT) agreed to go forward with the network for the $ and to allow more of the alumni and fans to be able to watch more UT athletics. And you have to think because of this, more youngsters will be exposed to it's greatness. That is all.

Old Tiger
07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
DeLoss Dodds was recently quoted as saying “ESPN will select the games (high school) based on what they feel is best.”

That is what protects UT from any infractions that could come about. ESPN is using LHN just as they would ESPN 2 or ESPNU. I don't think the benefit will be as big as a lot of people think for Texas.

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 06:19 AM
That is what protects UT from any infractions that could come about. ESPN is using LHN just as they would ESPN 2 or ESPNU. I don't think the benefit will be as big as a lot of people think for Texas.

For a 17-18 yr old, the benefit for being on TV is far more than you think.

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 06:30 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110720-longhorn-network_s-plans-to-televise-high-school-games-now-on-hold.ece

I guess I'm not the only one a little skeptical of how this can affect recruiting.

Commissioner Dan Beebe announced a temporary compromise Wednesday. Telecasts of high school football games on the Longhorn Network are now on hold, pending decisions by the NCAA (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association) and the Big 12 about how to handle school and conference networks. The Big 12 also delayed the possibility of a conference game on the Longhorn Network, announced earlier this month as part of a side deal with Fox.

“It’s not going to happen until and unless the conference can make it happen with benefit to all and detriment to none,” Beebe said.

This is the right move:clap:

Roughneck93
07-21-2011, 06:53 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110720-longhorn-network_s-plans-to-televise-high-school-games-now-on-hold.eceI guess I'm not the only one a little skeptical of how this can affect recruiting.This is the right move:clap:Probably the best thing to do. Just to avoid any conflicts of interest.

Farmersfan
07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
“It’s not going to happen until and unless the conference can make it happen with benefit to all and detriment to none,” Beebe said.

Finally some sense in this debate.

eagles_victory
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110720-longhorn-network_s-plans-to-televise-high-school-games-now-on-hold.ece

I guess I'm not the only one a little skeptical of how this can affect recruiting.

This is the right move:clap: Obviously you're not the only one since you copy and pasted an article written by someone else. I don't see how it is going to benefit all the schools equally and not hurt any schools. I don't know I definitely see the Aggie and Tech fans side of it.But, where do you draw the line on "recruiting advantages"? Do all schools have to have the same facilities because the school with nicer facilities and a bigger athletic budget is at an advantage. Every school is going to have some recruiting advantages over others. IE: OU can claim to be more of a pro factory than another school or A&M can claim they have the best environment in college football.

As I said above I can see the complaints but in the end I think the fans lose out and to an extent the kids who were going to have a chance to play on TV that aren't being recruited. Who cares about the big time D1 prospect they will play on TV their whole career. But the kid who won't play past HS is the one who loses out on the opportunity. Some people act as if a kid is going to say "I might be 5th string at UT but Im going to go so my HS team can get on TV"

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Obviously you're not the only one since you copy and pasted an article written by someone else. I don't see how it is going to benefit all the schools equally and not hurt any schools. I don't know I definitely see the Aggie and Tech fans side of it.But, where do you draw the line on "recruiting advantages"? Do all schools have to have the same facilities because the school with nicer facilities and a bigger athletic budget is at an advantage. Every school is going to have some recruiting advantages over others. IE: OU can claim to be more of a pro factory than another school or A&M can claim they have the best environment in college football.

As I said above I can see the complaints but in the end I think the fans lose out and to an extent the kids who were going to have a chance to play on TV that aren't being recruited. Who cares about the big time D1 prospect they will play on TV their whole career. But the kid who won't play past HS is the one who loses out on the opportunity. Some people act as if a kid is going to say "I might be 5th string at UT but Im going to go so my HS team can get on TV"

or
etc....

I highlighted a previous quote. There is a difference between highlighting an event instead of a player. You honestly think it's just by fate that ESPN picked Brenham which just happens to have 2 verbal commits.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that airing HS games can't be a good thing.

hollywood
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Finally some sense in this debate.

Well let's all go hold hands and make everything equal.

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Drawing the line of recruitment....

1. when it's wrong
2. when you have to find a loophole to make it a non-violation (even this loophole is questionable)
3. like beebe said, when it benefits 1 school but hurts the others

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Well let's all go hold hands and make everything equal.

not equal, but fair

eagles_victory
07-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Drawing the line of recruitment....

1. when it's wrong
2. when you have to find a loophole to make it a non-violation (even this loophole is questionable)
3. like beebe said, when it benefits 1 school but hurts the others Alright T.O. lets see where to start

1. Wrong is a pretty arbitrary term to throw out there when this has been something that has been known for a while. Ever since the LHN was announced it was known they were showing high school games. If it is so wrong why is it taking you so long to start complaining and even then all you did was banwagon some Aggie argument.
2. Loophole? What is a loophole there are rules and you are either in violation of them or you aren't. Is Texas I don't know I don't read the rules inside and out contrary to what my boy Farmersfan might believe I have better things to do then read the NCAA rulebook lol. From what Terry and Casey have posted UT seems to be in the clear of any violation with ESPN picking the games at least from an NCAA standpoint (and Im sure UT looked into all this before this was announced) Loopholes don't exist rules aren't flexible if you can't prove that a rule is being violated and point to a specific rule then it is not illegal. Just because RoyceTTU doesn't like it doesn't make it illegal.
3. When Texas expanded their stadium to seat nearly twice what Techs stadium seats that benefited UT and hurt Tech. Kids want to play in front of huge crowds. Texas being on regional and national TV nearly every game and Tech and A&M not being (Ags were on what 6 or 7 games 2 years ago?) helps Texas in recruitment and hurts A&M and Tech. Texas having Mack Brown who has a national title and is a respected coach and Iowa St. having whoever the hell they have that I can't even think of is a benefit to UT and hurts Iowa St. I could go on all day but I think you get the point. What do you want teams to do have the exact same stadiums, exact same coaching experience level. Model the towns exactly after one another because Austin, Tx is better than Ames, Iowa? Where do we draw the line on being fair Terrell?

If you want fair go to the local First Baptist Church and watching their Upwards leagues because that is about as far as fair goes in athletics nowadays.

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Alright T.O. lets see where to start

1. Wrong is a pretty arbitrary term to throw out there when this has been something that has been known for a while. Ever since the LHN was announced it was known they were showing high school games. If it is so wrong why is it taking you so long to start complaining and even then all you did was banwagon some Aggie argument.
2. Loophole? What is a loophole there are rules and you are either in violation of them or you aren't. Is Texas I don't know I don't read the rules inside and out contrary to what my boy Farmersfan might believe I have better things to do then read the NCAA rulebook lol. From what Terry and Casey have posted UT seems to be in the clear of any violation with ESPN picking the games at least from an NCAA standpoint (and Im sure UT looked into all this before this was announced) Loopholes don't exist rules aren't flexible if you can't prove that a rule is being violated and point to a specific rule then it is not illegal. Just because RoyceTTU doesn't like it doesn't make it illegal.
3. When Texas expanded their stadium to seat nearly twice what Techs stadium seats that benefited UT and hurt Tech. Kids want to play in front of huge crowds. Texas being on regional and national TV nearly every game and Tech and A&M not being (Ags were on what 6 or 7 games 2 years ago?) helps Texas in recruitment and hurts A&M and Tech. Texas having Mack Brown who has a national title and is a respected coach and Iowa St. having whoever the hell they have that I can't even think of is a benefit to UT and hurts Iowa St. I could go on all day but I think you get the point. What do you want teams to do have the exact same stadiums, exact same coaching experience level. Model the towns exactly after one another because Austin, Tx is better than Ames, Iowa? Where do we draw the line on being fair Terrell?

If you want fair go to the local First Baptist Church and watching their Upwards leagues because that is about as far as fair goes in athletics nowadays.

1. Fair enough. Probably wrong use of words. As far as bandwagonning an A&M argument, I mentioned that in the very 1st post and said it had me thinking about it a bit more. Sorry I wasn't johnny on the spot. As for showing HS games, yes this was mentioned but no one knew the plans nor the schedule. As I've said before, there would of been other ways of showing Texas HS talent instead of targeting UT recruits. I'm not sure where you don't understand this part.

2. UT is trying to hide behind the fact that ESPN is making the schedule. That's fine, where the fault is is ESPN is providing monetary means for the University which prohibits ESPN from showcasing recruits. This is why NCAA hasn't ruled. Just be cause E_V says no rules are broken doesn't necessarily mean that no rules are broken. I'm sure you are correct that due dilegence was put into the research but as many articles have mentioned, School TV networks are new the NCAA and adjustments are going to need to be made. This is a whole new beast than a conference network.

3. Again I didn't word this the best. Fair again is very vague word to use. Fair was really revolving around 2 and following the recruiting rules. I'm all for uniqueness of the schools. There are glarring reasons to me that I didn't want to go to UT or A&M. That's what is great about NCAA. No schools should not be the same but they all should follow the same rules.

To be honest it's really a moot point at this point. It's obvious that neutral parties feel the same about both of us. Let's see what happens.

As for you becoming defensive calling names and comparison's to T.O. Really????? Is that how you want to discuss this, to think I was actually giving your argument credibility much like I do when me and TXB were comparing notes. What a joke!!! to each is own I guess.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 11:43 AM
We are seeing thaqt all those claiming UT had all the power in the new Big 12-2 is false..All OU or A&M has to do to get their way is leak rumors they might just go ahead and move to another conference..IMO that brings balance to the big 3

RoyceTTU
07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
We are seeing thaqt all those claiming UT had all the power in the new Big 12-2 is false..All OU or A&M has to do to get their way is leak rumors they might just go ahead and move to another conference..IMO that brings balance to the big 3

Yeah, that seems to be the push now and I think it's silly. I'm sure Tech is picking up the phone and jockeying for the future. Rumors at TTU say that Hocutt's(TTU new AD and learned under the current OU AD) ties with OU could possibly be a deal to move with them wherever they go. It's all speculation but it's fun to argue about.

I really don't see Big XII-II lasting too many more years.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that seems to be the push now and I think it's silly. I'm sure Tech is picking up the phone and jockeying for the future. Rumors at TTU say that Hocutt's(TTU new AD and learned under the current OU AD) ties with OU could possibly be a deal to move with them wherever they go. It's all speculation but it's fun to argue about.

I really don't see Big XII-II lasting too many more years.

well..TTech wont go to SEC if OU does..sorry but I dont see SEC wanting them

I think this conference can last once everyone gets their footing..rumor is OU is close to a network...I dont understand why A&M has not moved on this..be very smart to team with ESPN or FSSW and form one

Roughneck93
07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
We are seeing thaqt all those claiming UT had all the power in the new Big 12-2 is false..All OU or A&M has to do to get their way is leak rumors they might just go ahead and move to another conference..IMO that brings balance to the big 3That's how I took it. All they need to do is mention the SEC.

db1980
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
That's how I took it. All they need to do is mention the SEC.

NOt really. Mike Slive has already said that he could have 16 teams in 15 minutes, but they aren't looking to do that right now. If you are going to threaten somebody, the reality of it actually happening has to be greater than 0%. aTm and OU flexed a muscle that isn't there IMO.

eagles_victory
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
1. Fair enough. Probably wrong use of words. As far as bandwagonning an A&M argument, I mentioned that in the very 1st post and said it had me thinking about it a bit more. Sorry I wasn't johnny on the spot. As for showing HS games, yes this was mentioned but no one knew the plans nor the schedule. As I've said before, there would of been other ways of showing Texas HS talent instead of targeting UT recruits. I'm not sure where you don't understand this part.

2. UT is trying to hide behind the fact that ESPN is making the schedule. That's fine, where the fault is is ESPN is providing monetary means for the University which prohibits ESPN from showcasing recruits. This is why NCAA hasn't ruled. Just be cause E_V says no rules are broken doesn't necessarily mean that no rules are broken. I'm sure you are correct that due dilegence was put into the research but as many articles have mentioned, School TV networks are new the NCAA and adjustments are going to need to be made. This is a whole new beast than a conference network.

3. Again I didn't word this the best. Fair again is very vague word to use. Fair was really revolving around 2 and following the recruiting rules. I'm all for uniqueness of the schools. There are glarring reasons to me that I didn't want to go to UT or A&M. That's what is great about NCAA. No schools should not be the same but they all should follow the same rules.

To be honest it's really a moot point at this point. It's obvious that neutral parties feel the same about both of us. Let's see what happens.

As for you becoming defensive calling names and comparison's to T.O. Really????? Is that how you want to discuss this, to think I was actually giving your argument credibility much like I do when me and TXB were comparing notes. What a joke!!! to each is own I guess. I was kidding about T.O. it is joked about on here anytime someone says something about anything being fair. I didn't mean it in an insulting way my bad.

Emerson1
07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Texas has had a top 5 recruiting class like 4/5 five years. Why the hell would they need to make an entire network just to help with that?

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 01:09 PM
NOt really. Mike Slive has already said that he could have 16 teams in 15 minutes, but they aren't looking to do that right now. If you are going to threaten somebody, the reality of it actually happening has to be greater than 0%. aTm and OU flexed a muscle that isn't there IMO.

It is there..at least the exploriation of moving which is just as bad for a conference already percieved as weak

db1980
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
It is there..at least the exploriation of moving which is just as bad for a conference already percieved as weak

Slive said that he is “comfortable” with the current 12-team SEC, and that it would take a “paradigm shift” for the SEC to expand.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network#ixzz1Slaf9NKV

Not much of a muscle to flex. The SEC will expand when they have to. Texas could say they are going to look at going to the Pac-12, but if the Pac-12 isn't seriously considering it they are just blowing hot air. The SEC can expand, and they could restructure their deal with CBS, but it isn't in the near future as Slive has said numerous times.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Slive said that he is “comfortable” with the current 12-team SEC, and that it would take a “paradigm shift” for the SEC to expand.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network#ixzz1Slaf9NKV

Not much of a muscle to flex. The SEC will expand when they have to. Texas could say they are going to look at going to the Pac-12, but if the Pac-12 isn't seriously considering it they are just blowing hot air. The SEC can expand, and they could restructure their deal with CBS, but it isn't in the near future as Slive has said numerous times.

and he also said

It is my job to make sure the SEC is the premier league,” Slive said. “For me to exclude any action that would preclude that from happening would be inappropriate.”

If you dont think OU and A&M contacting the SEC would not count as that paradigm shift

He was basically saying..no we arent looking, but if schools come calling we wont say no

Farmersfan
07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I think a simple way to solve this whole debate is to let either the UIL or the NCAA chose the high school games that will be televised. Or maybe post a game schedule two seasons in advance . that would pretty much stop any recruiting violations wouldn't it?

Old Tiger
07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I guess people fail reading comprehension where ESPN decides which teams/games will be played on LHN.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I think a simple way to solve this whole debate is to let either the UIL or the NCAA chose the high school games that will be televised. Or maybe post a game schedule two seasons in advance . that would pretty much stop any recruiting violations wouldn't it?

problem doing it two years in advance is you risk having two teams be 1-5 playing on your network...If the network just picks games and not everyone of them has a UT commit then I think alot of this will go away.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I guess people fail reading comprehension where ESPN decides which teams/games will be played on LHN.

no just all those agianst this assumes Texas will be behind the scenes telling ESPN who to pick

Farmersfan
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
no just all those agianst this assumes Texas will be behind the scenes telling ESPN who to pick

Or maybe it's just people who actually understand human nature TXB. If the opportunity to cheat exists then there will be cheating sooner or later. And considering that the other powers in the NCAA will model their new networks after this one isn't it important for the NCAA to get it right this time? I could not care less either way but I certainly see the opportunity for some major violations in this. The high school games televised must be chosen on a basis of something other than the recruits on the team and I don't know how that can be guaranteed unless some control measure is put in place. You can claim that UT will have no influence over ESPN on the programming of the LONGHORN NETWORK but that is just naive.............

db1980
07-21-2011, 03:50 PM
and he also said

It is my job to make sure the SEC is the premier league,” Slive said. “For me to exclude any action that would preclude that from happening would be inappropriate.”

If you dont think OU and A&M contacting the SEC would not count as that paradigm shift

He was basically saying..no we arent looking, but if schools come calling we wont say no

Are they not the premier league already????
He has already stated that they wouldn't expand until the superconferences started taking place.

Old Tiger
07-21-2011, 03:56 PM
seems like a bunch of delusional people creating an ESPN/UT conspiracy theory to effect recruiting which is already superior due to the history of all the top 5, 10 or 15, recruiting classes. I guess with this new network UT will always have the #1 recruiting class because of the advantages. How does broadcasting a game on an ESPN owned network cheating? I guess ESPN2 and ESPNU cheat!

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Or maybe it's just people who actually understand human nature TXB. If the opportunity to cheat exists then there will be cheating sooner or later. And considering that the other powers in the NCAA will model their new networks after this one isn't it important for the NCAA to get it right this time? I could not care less either way but I certainly see the opportunity for some major violations in this. The high school games televised must be chosen on a basis of something other than the recruits on the team and I don't know how that can be guaranteed unless some control measure is put in place. You can claim that UT will have no influence over ESPN on the programming of the LONGHORN NETWORK but that is just naive.............

And I think it is human nature to have everything to be a conspiracy theory and assume that everyone else is cheating

Matthew328
07-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm personally not comfortable with HS games being on LHN or any other network branded as a university network....put the games on the Ocho or whatever...but I dont like them on LHN...it just doesnt sit right with me

NastySlot
07-21-2011, 10:11 PM
seems like a bunch of delusional people creating an ESPN/UT conspiracy theory to effect recruiting which is already superior due to the history of all the top 5, 10 or 15, recruiting classes. I guess with this new network UT will always have the #1 recruiting class because of the advantages. How does broadcasting a game on an ESPN owned network cheating? I guess ESPN2 and ESPNU cheat!

from what i hear the masses not just the aggies are raising questions about level playing fields.............maybe more news to come.

OldBison75
07-21-2011, 10:51 PM
How many potential recruits to schools other than UT are gonna be seen on the high school games that are being considered. In the Brenham game being mentioned, are there any recruits or verbally committed players that are on the teams that are considering or verbal to other colleges? I think there are. I had a LSU fan tell me that he was thrilled with being able to subscribe to the Longhorn network because he can now see Texas High School players that LSU has an interest in.

I can see the potential for this network to be used to, if not break, skirt rules. However, when the great exodus was being planned by A & M and other to new conferences, the Big 12 commissioner went out and got a big conference tv deal that gave every school more money. At the same time, UT was announcing their own network deal. No one went balistic then. It was not until the network announced plans to show a high school game with two UT verbal commits that this cheating idea blossomed. UT had already asked the NCAA for a ruling about airing high school games and has not received a response as of yet. I hope the NCAA sets a standard, either way, so that the questions will be answered.

I personally see no real problem with any high school being spotlighted one week out of the season. I think that regardless if there are UT verbal commits or potential recruits, the exposure to the public of top athletes will ultimately benefit all of the college programs in the state, not just Big 12 schools. A kid not being considered by any school right now, may get the attention of the SFA, Texas State, Sam Houston, Rice, or other colleges. My one concern about the tv deal is that the UIL is a part of UT and there is too much room for pressure to be put on the UIL to adjust the high school rules to benefit the UT network.

NastySlot
07-21-2011, 11:00 PM
How many potential recruits to schools other than UT are gonna be seen on the high school games that are being considered. In the Brenham game being mentioned, are there any recruits or verbally committed players that are on the teams that are considering or verbal to other colleges? I think there are. I had a LSU fan tell me that he was thrilled with being able to subscribe to the Longhorn network because he can now see Texas High School players that LSU has an interest in.

I can see the potential for this network to be used to, if not break, skirt rules. However, when the great exodus was being planned by A & M and other to new conferences, the Big 12 commissioner went out and got a big conference tv deal that gave every school more money. At the same time, UT was announcing their own network deal. No one went balistic then. It was not until the network announced plans to show a high school game with two UT verbal commits that this cheating idea blossomed. UT had already asked the NCAA for a ruling about airing high school games and has not received a response as of yet. I hope the NCAA sets a standard, either way, so that the questions will be answered.

I personally see no real problem with any high school being spotlighted one week out of the season. I think that regardless if there are UT verbal commits or potential recruits, the exposure to the public of top athletes will ultimately benefit all of the college programs in the state, not just Big 12 schools. A kid not being considered by any school right now, may get the attention of the SFA, Texas State, Sam Houston, Rice, or other colleges. My one concern about the tv deal is that the UIL is a part of UT and there is too much room for pressure to be put on the UIL to adjust the high school rules to benefit the UT network.

i hear you..........the teams in conference knew the network was coming.....and no one belly ached then. You know know if they would of just scheduled two inner city schools or valley teams............no one would care.

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
i hear you..........the teams in conference knew the network was coming.....and no one belly ached then. You know know if they would of just scheduled two inner city schools or valley teams............no one would care.

and this is where I think the those who are so sure UT would do it to cheat assumed they went to ESPN and said do this game..when IMO ESPN said ok lets get more UT fans wanting to watch our HS football games so ergo we will show future Longhorns

RoyceTTU
07-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm trying to keep an open mind about the scheduling but I'm stuggling.

1. ESPN will be scheduling with 0 input.....I really struggle with this....If UT has the ability to remove broadcasters at will for not upholding the UT name, they have far more reach than any are giving them credit for.

2. Other talents other than the two verbals.....This is great and is the real benefit of showing games. This is not what is at question.

3. To have an unbiased scheduling you have to showcase an "Event"(ie....state finals, game voted by the public etc.....) or the idea FF had about prescheduling years in advance. It is obvious they targeted certain recruits and the ESPN LHN network rep even said they wanted to showcase their own recruits. (I have a hard time beleiving he did this without at least one person from UT saying "hey, it would be a good idea to show HS games of our recruits", which is a violation)

The only reason this hasn't been brought up until now is because no one knew what the broadcasting schedule would be. This game was only announced 14 days ago and was apparent to many that they were showcasing recruits somewhere within a grey area of the rules. No one really knows whether they are clear or not.

If ESPN was so concerned about showing HS talents from Brenham Tx without prejudice to 2 specific recruits, why have they not already of scheduled something on ESPN, 2, 3, news, classic or name off any of the other stations they own.

Farmersfan
07-22-2011, 07:53 AM
and this is where I think the those who are so sure UT would do it to cheat assumed they went to ESPN and said do this game..when IMO ESPN said ok lets get more UT fans wanting to watch our HS football games so ergo we will show future Longhorns

Aren't you doing exactly what you accuse the haters of doing? You are ASSUMING things about this that probably shouldn't be assumed. And I have not read very many people who have stated that UT has already cheated in this. I think the concern is that the opportunity to cheat is obvious and as plain as the nose on your face. Bury your head in the sand and trust UT recruiters to do the right thing if you want to but that will almost always result in reality jumping up and biting you in the butt. I say the Longhorn Network is fine and was fine until they decided to televise high school games. Is it coincidence that the first planned televised games consist of two of UT's biggest recruits? Even if UT had nothing to do with the decision to televise these teams the fact that the decision was made by someone with the interests of UT at stake makes this a very, very slippery slope. The coaches for UT might not have the ability to tell ESPN to televise a (insert team) game but they certainly have the ability to tell a recruit that if they sign with UT then ESPN will likely televise their high school games. That is a recruiting tool and should represent a violation of NCAA rules. Of course I guess the A&M coaches could always tell their recruits that if they can get the blue chip player on their team to sign with UT then the REST of the team will also get to be seen on television!!!!! :crazy:

Farmersfan
07-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm trying to keep an open mind about the scheduling but I'm stuggling.

1. ESPN will be scheduling with 0 input.....I really struggle with this....If UT has the ability to remove broadcasters at will for not upholding the UT name, they have far more reach than any are giving them credit for.

2. Other talents other than the two verbals.....This is great and is the real benefit of showing games. This is not what is at question.

3. To have an unbiased scheduling you have to showcase an "Event"(ie....state finals, game voted by the public etc.....) or the idea FF had about prescheduling years in advance. It is obvious they targeted certain recruits and the ESPN LHN network rep even said they wanted to showcase their own recruits. (I have a hard time beleiving he did this without at least one person from UT saying "hey, it would be a good idea to show HS games of our recruits", which is a violation)

The only reason this hasn't been brought up until now is because no one knew what the broadcasting schedule would be. This game was only announced 14 days ago and was apparent to many that they were showcasing recruits somewhere within a grey area of the rules. No one really knows whether they are clear or not.

If ESPN was so concerned about showing HS talents from Brenham Tx without prejudice to 2 specific recruits, why have they not already of scheduled something on ESPN, 2, 3, news, classic or name off any of the other stations they own.

The Longhorn Network exists for one purpose and one purpose only. To show content that benefits UT and interests the UT supporters. On the one hand I understand how it makes sense to expose UT recruits to all the UT supporters and to show what UT will have coming up in a few seasons. If I were responsible for this I would want to show the two recruits from Brenham because those are the boys the UT supporters want to see. but at the same time it also represents a major conflict of interest for the UIL and raises a ton of questions of legality. Hopefully we get these questions answered soon and put this to rest. Good topic though.

Old Tiger
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
The Longhorn Network exists for one purpose and one purpose only. To show content that benefits UT and interests the UT supporters. On the one hand I understand how it makes sense to expose UT recruits to all the UT supporters and to show what UT will have coming up in a few seasons. If I were responsible for this I would want to show the two recruits from Brenham because those are the boys the UT supporters want to see. but at the same time it also represents a major conflict of interest for the UIL and raises a ton of questions of legality. Hopefully we get these questions answered soon and put this to rest. Good topic though.You do know aggy has two recruits from brenham and Cole and Brown were supposed to be aggy locks...but Brown didn't wanna be a 3-4 nose.

OL Adrian Bellard
RB Troy Green

both play for Brenham

But I bet Cole and Brown changed their mind and went to Texas so LHN would put them on TV...it makes perfect sense.

As I have said before ESPN will select the games to be broadcasted on LHN.

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Aren't you doing exactly what you accuse the haters of doing? You are ASSUMING things about this that probably shouldn't be assumed. And I have not read very many people who have stated that UT has already cheated in this. I think the concern is that the opportunity to cheat is obvious and as plain as the nose on your face. Bury your head in the sand and trust UT recruiters to do the right thing if you want to but that will almost always result in reality jumping up and biting you in the butt. I say the Longhorn Network is fine and was fine until they decided to televise high school games. Is it coincidence that the first planned televised games consist of two of UT's biggest recruits? Even if UT had nothing to do with the decision to televise these teams the fact that the decision was made by someone with the interests of UT at stake makes this a very, very slippery slope. The coaches for UT might not have the ability to tell ESPN to televise a (insert team) game but they certainly have the ability to tell a recruit that if they sign with UT then ESPN will likely televise their high school games. That is a recruiting tool and should represent a violation of NCAA rules. Of course I guess the A&M coaches could always tell their recruits that if they can get the blue chip player on their team to sign with UT then the REST of the team will also get to be seen on television!!!!! :crazy:

At this point FF we ALL are assuming on this issue

Farmersfan
07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
At this point FF we ALL are assuming on this issue

I agree! So let's take the assuming out of the equation completely and make sure. That is the only real logical thing to do isn't it?

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I agree! So let's take the assuming out of the equation completely and make sure. That is the only real logical thing to do isn't it?

Hey i never said I disagreed with what OU and A&M were worried about and again like I said before I think all of this dispells the belief UT has run of the conference and can do what they want everyone else be damned.

Macarthur
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
This is a clear violation. I really have a hard believing that anyone is okay with this, other than UT and their alums.

NastySlot
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
a little nebraska fun with ESiPN...at about 2:40

http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5393578

a buddy of mine sent this to me.

Roughneck93
07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
a little nebraska fun with ESiPN...at about 2:40http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5393578a buddy of mine sent this to me.Lol! That was good stuff! :clap:

1st and goal
07-22-2011, 08:34 PM
So, if I heard right on AM radio, the president of the big 12 (which is now 10), came out today and said no high school games on LHN and furthermore, only 1 horns football game broadcast (not 2 as planned).

NastySlot
07-22-2011, 09:11 PM
So, if I heard right on AM radio, the president of the big 12 (which is now 10), came out today and said no high school games on LHN and furthermore, only 1 horns football game broadcast (not 2 as planned).

I hadn't heard that.......i know that it had been brought up about there was never any mention of a conference game being televised in the original plan that might be the part of not showing two games.....but i guess they could show out of conference games.

bwdlionfan
07-22-2011, 09:51 PM

I wonder if this will lead to Texas leaving the conference soon.

NastySlot
07-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I wonder if this will lead to Texas leaving the conference soon.

i have felt for a while that texas has had long range goal of being an independent.........with a network there is a lot money to be made...........the only thing that i could see that would be a problem with that is it sounds good for football.........but the other sports might suffer with no conference.

now those are just my thoughts...........but what do i know...have friends that (work)are at various schools that have told me it was texas that saved the big12 -2 last summer .....maybe they were pressured (politically)to do so idk............but the big 12-2 is not only a weak football conference it's a dead man walking

Txbroadcaster
07-23-2011, 01:43 AM
i have felt for a while that texas has had long range goal of being an independent.........with a network there is a lot money to be made...........the only thing that i could see that would be a problem with that is it sounds good for football.........but the other sports might suffer with no conference.

now those are just my thoughts...........but what do i know...have friends that (work)are at various schools that have told me it was texas that saved the big12 -2 last summer .....maybe they were pressured (politically)to do so idk............but the big 12-2 is not only a weak football conference it's a dead man walking

If UT leaves to go indy it will prob be football only..they will just jump their other teams in a conference ala how ND does it

OldBison75
07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Let's make it simple to decide about high school games on a college network---
A television network that is tied to a particular college program cannot televise any high school game that involves a potential recruit to any college program. In the event a player on either featured team is recruited by a Division 1 program, the college program that is tied to the network must forfeit one scholarship for the year that that athlete is recruited and signed to a letter of intent.

Likewise, any athlete that signs with another Division 1 school after being featured on another college's network, will result in the chosen college having to forfeit one scholarship for the year the athlete committed.

This will force the network school to be very careful what high school games get broadcast and will also create a level playing field for all other schools in the conference and NCAA as a whole.

Of course, the result will be a network that shows no high school sports and therefore is useless.

I think this whole thing is pretty silly. I mean, the UIL already televises State Championship games that involves recruits that either have already committed verbally to UT or have been recruited by UT. The UIL is a part of the UT system, so, why is that not giving UT a recruiting advantage.

If Texas A & M is recruiting an athlete from say Rockdale, and the local KBTX television station covers the game extensively and interviews the athlete, what difference does it make in the whole recruiting process? Local stations do features on area athletes all of the time. Since KBTX has strong ties to Texas A & M, do they give the Aggies an advantage in recruiting area athletes. The reality is that this whole crap involves two Brenham players that have already verbally committed to Texas. It also involves two Brenham players that have strong interest in A & M. None of these athletes have been offered scholarships yet. Hell, I know junior high kids that will tell you today they want to be Longhorns when they graduate high school. Since they have shown an interest in a particular school, I guess they are now off limits to appear in any broadcast that the Longhorns have any interest in. God forbid they are in the stands at a Longhorn game and happen to get shown on the Jumbotron.

Why has no one brought up that every college has a radio network that broadcasts their games weekly. Many of those radio stations broadcast local high school games on Friday night. Many time a high school game involves a potential recruit of the college the station broadcasts for. What is the real difference?

I know, the new NCAA rules should read:

NO HIGH SCHOOL GAMES CAN BE BROADCAST ON ANY FORM OF MEDIA THAT CAN BE VIEWED, LISTENED TO, OR ABSORBED BY ANY MEANS. IF YOU WANT TO BE A FAN OF FOOTBALL, GO TO THE STADIUM.

Emerson1
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
So if I want to see a kid play from Houston I should drive 5 hours and miss my teams game? Or I could just DVR it.

Still don't see how this helps in recruiting. Texas has no problem getting top 5 classes. Pure jealousy from A&M and I doubt OU cares that much, but they might as well help get it killed.

NastySlot
07-23-2011, 11:42 PM
So if I want to see a kid play from Houston I should drive 5 hours and miss my teams game? Or I could just DVR it.

Still don't see how this helps in recruiting. Texas has no problem getting top 5 classes. Pure jealousy from A&M and I doubt OU cares that much, but they might as well help get it killed.

what do you do now when you want to see a kid from houston? what makes you think ou cares less? just wondering.

TheDOCTORdre
07-24-2011, 08:20 AM
a little nebraska fun with ESiPN...at about 2:40

http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5393578

a buddy of mine sent this to me.

That was great, they should have made one to the effect of this

"Longhorn Network, you may get older but the girls stay the same age"

Macarthur
07-25-2011, 12:17 PM

I"m not an aggie or sooner and I see a huge problem with this. This is not just about those two schools and even the Big 12, for that matter. Patterson at TCU has a huge problem with this, too, as he should.

I'm having a hard time understanding why some of you have a blind spot on this one. This is wrong wrong wrong.

MGAR
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Mack Brown on LHN:

"I hope there are HS games on because it's good for HS football and there are tons of prospects in Texas."

Mack Brown on advantage of longhorn network:

"Most of players will be committed to texas by june of junior year, anyway."

Mack Brown on last season:

"Most hotels don't have a 13th floor. That was my 13th year. I should have skipped it & some think I did."

Emerson1
07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Mack Brown on advantage of longhorn network:

Move along people. Nothing more to see here.

Farmersfan
07-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Mack Brown on LHN:

This comment kind of completely disregards the entire issue in the first place. And "MOST" players will be committed? What about the other players that aren't committed? Are they being recruited still? And at what point do the recruiters for UT start using the television appearances on the LHN as selling points for UT? I agree with McArthur, Only someone completely biased could see this and not be concerned about violations.

Macarthur
07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Mac's answer is insulting. What a tool.

Emerson1
07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I just fail to see how the LHN will make Texas some unstoppable recruiting power house. The thing hasn't existed the last 6 years while Texas was rolling in FIVE top 5 recruiting classes.

Do you people have a problem with colleges letting schools use their mega-stadiums for HS games?

BEAST
07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I just fail to see how the LHN will make Texas some unstoppable recruiting power house. The thing hasn't existed the last 6 years while Texas was rolling in FIVE top 5 recruiting classes.

Do you people have a problem with colleges letting schools use their mega-stadiums for HS games?

They are not "letting" them they are charging them to play there.

BEAST

Macarthur
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Yes, it will enhance their recruiting. If you fail to see this, you are the one with the blind spot. It's not just A&M and OU that have a problem with this.

The stadium thing is not even remotely close to the same thing. You know, I do find it interesting that this thing has been attacked and the Big 12 has already made a public statement that it will not happen, and yet UT has done or said very little to state their case. I think that's very telling. If UT were on solid ground here, you know they would fight this to the death.

Emerson1
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Yes, it will enhance their recruiting. If you fail to see this, you are the one with the blind spot. It's not just A&M and OU that have a problem with this.

The stadium thing is not even remotely close to the same thing. You know, I do find it interesting that this thing has been attacked and the Big 12 has already made a public statement that it will not happen, and yet UT has done or said very little to state their case. I think that's very telling. If UT were on solid ground here, you know they would fight this to the death.
The Big 12 doesn't like it because it takes money from their pockets. I just want to have one explanation on how it enhances recruiting. Because from my "biased" standpoint I saw Texas roll in two consecutive #3 classes the last two seasons.

They have no reason to go on a big media campaign to fight it. I am willing to bet their lawyers are on this.

They are not "letting" them they are charging them to play there.

So you would be ok with this if the LHN charged a team to have their games broadcast?

And yes they are letting them. College U doesn't have to let High Schools play there, but if two games were challenging for one slot and they both had a high profile recruit, College U would give it to the game that features a guy they are going after. What better way to get a kid to come to your school then letting him play in the stadium?

Macarthur
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I just want to have one explanation on how it enhances recruiting. Because from my "biased" standpoint I saw Texas roll in two consecutive #3 classes the last two seasons.

Because if a kid is on the fence between UT and OU, Mac could tell him and/or his HS coach that he could pull some strings and get their game televised nationally on the LHN.

It's really that simple. And if you think that won't happen, you're naive.

TheDOCTORdre
07-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Mack's answer is true

Emerson1
07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Are we sure you are 100% unbiased?

The latest point in time for someone to give their verbal in Texas' #3 class for 2011 was Malcom Brown who waited until August 8th 2010 to give his commitment. So Mack is spot on, hell most of them were verbaled in February. That's how he recruits. He has them on board and isn't waiting around to see which hat they pick on national signing day.

RoyceTTU
07-25-2011, 02:57 PM

The latest point in time for someone to give their verbal in Texas' #3 class for 2011 was Malcom Brown who waited until August 8th 2010 to give his commitment. So Mack is spot on, hell most of them were verbaled in February. That's how he recruits. He has them on board and isn't waiting around to see which hat they pick on national signing day.

I'm glad J. Gray committed before June. Or else he would of had to find another college to play for, Mac wouldn't of let him in :thinking:

Sure he typically gets his committs in early, but the world dosn't stop when he stops recruiting. Truth is someone can de-commit and you also still have to keep the recruit firm. All can be swayed or firmed up by using the LHN as a tool.

Also keep think more globally, the rules that are applied to the LHN will likely mold the entire NCAA. Some of you think Mac wouldn't violate recruiting but what if Saban, Myles, Chizek, etc....had their own network. What if Tressel has an OSUN? You know good and well those guys would use it for recruiting.

Farmersfan
07-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Perhaps it doesn't help UT at all. Perhaps in unforseen way it will actually hurt them. That's not the point. The point is that there is the potential to cheat built into this program. Nip it in the bud! Head it off at the pass!

Macarthur
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM

I never said I was 100% unbias. But if All the Big 12 and TCU, just to name to one's I've read about, have an issue with this, I tend to think the issue here is UT, not everyone else.

Really? wow.

NastySlot
07-25-2011, 03:57 PM

That's how he recruits. He has them on board and isn't waiting around to see which hat they pick on national signing day.

Mack was the first and the master of early commits........looks like everyone else is catching up......so maybe (idk) with the network it might..just might give him a leg up?

not saying it's fair or unfair........a lot of things done in the history of recruiting haven't be right or fair...........who knows about this it's a new area of the game.