PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

bwdlionfan
07-18-2011, 07:20 AM
My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary today, but we celebrated a little bit early as we needed to be in town today (and the rest of the week). Last Tuesday I booked us a last minute three night stay in Branson while she was at the dentist, she had no idea I had done so until she got home, and even then I didn't tell her where we were going. I just told her how many days to pack for and what kind of clothes to pack. I didn't tell her where we were going until we got there that night around 10 PM. We spent a few days in Branson and were going to head back, but another instant of spontaneity hit me and we decided we'd never been to Chicago so we'd go. We left Branson early Friday morning, stopped in St Louis to see the arch and in Springfield to see the state capitol along with Abraham Lincoln's old house. We got in to Chicago about 4 PM (just in time for rush hour traffic), checked in to our hotel, went and ate deep dish pizza at Gino's (the place that's been on Food Network), and then I attempted to drive around on the actual downtown streets but decided I didn't like the traffic much. Saturday we took a train from our hotel and had time to visit the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry, walk the beach on Lake Michigan, and eat a true Chicago Hot Dog at America's Dogs in downtown. We wound up leaving Chicago at 6:45 PM and arrived back home last night at 8 PM. Needless to say we are tired and not looking for another long trip of driving like that for awhile. My question to you guys is have you ever visited Chicago? We had both been to New York City previously and were shocked at how much we though Chicago looks like New York. I was really expecting Chicago to be kind of in between New York and Houston (Chicago's population is actually only 600,000 more than Houston). It was nothing at all like Houston.

Gsquared
07-18-2011, 07:28 AM
My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary today, but we celebrated a little bit early as we needed to be in town today (and the rest of the week). Last Tuesday I booked us a last minute three night stay in Branson while she was at the dentist, she had no idea I had done so until she got home, and even then I didn't tell her where we were going. I just told her how many days to pack for and what kind of clothes to pack. I didn't tell her where we were going until we got there that night around 10 PM. We spent a few days in Branson and were going to head back, but another instant of spontaneity hit me and we decided we'd never been to Chicago so we'd go. We left Branson early Friday morning, stopped in St Louis to see the arch and in Springfield to see the state capitol along with Abraham Lincoln's old house. We got in to Chicago about 4 PM (just in time for rush hour traffic), checked in to our hotel, went and ate deep dish pizza at Gino's (the place that's been on Food Network), and then I attempted to drive around on the actual downtown streets but decided I didn't like the traffic much. Saturday we took a train from our hotel and had time to visit the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry, walk the beach on Lake Michigan, and eat a true Chicago Hot Dog at America's Dogs in downtown. We wound up leaving Chicago at 6:45 PM and arrived back home last night at 8 PM. Needless to say we are tired and not looking for another long trip of driving like that for awhile. My question to you guys is have you ever visited Chicago? We had both been to New York City previously and were shocked at how much we though Chicago looks like New York. I was really expecting Chicago to be kind of in between New York and Houston (Chicago's population is actually only 600,000 more than Houston). It was nothing at all like Houston.
Oh man, I love Geno's East. Best pizza ever! Everytime I go to Chicago, I make a BLINE for that place!

bwdlionfan
07-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Oh man, I love Geno's East. Best pizza ever! Everytime I go to Chicago, I make a BLINE for that place!

G2 we actually passed an exit with a sign on I-30 in Little Rock for Ginos pizza. I wonder if its the same company.

Gsquared
07-18-2011, 07:42 AM
G2 we actually passed an exit with a sign on I-30 in Little Rock for Ginos pizza. I wonder if its the same company.
Really???? I bet it is. You can order Ginos online. They ship via FED X within a couple of days.

bwdlionfan
07-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Really???? I bet it is. You can order Ginos online. They ship via FED X within a couple of days.

Have you been to Uno's in Fort Worth? Uno's and Gino's are apparently rivals up in Chicago, but there is an Uno's in downtown Fort Worth that is the same company.

Gsquared
07-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Have you been to Uno's in Fort Worth? Uno's and Gino's are apparently rivals up in Chicago, but there is an Uno's in downtown Fort Worth that is the same company.
Ive been to Pizzaria Uno in Chicago but didnt know there was one in FTW. Might have to take a spin over there and check it out.

Matthew328
07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Eaten at Pizzeria Uno many times in downtown Ft. Worth....its caddy corner to the Worthington Hotel near Sundance Square...

bwdlionfan
07-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Uno's in Ft Worth is very good, and you can park for free in the garage near there in the evenings and on weekends. I found a Ginos in Round Rock online but I really don't think it's the same place.

Eagle 1
07-18-2011, 10:59 AM
We visited Chicago last November when our son graduated Navy boot camp.
The best Pizza place to eat at in Chicago is Lou Malnatis.
It is the absolute best pizza you will ever eat IMO.
Chicago is definately not like Houstan, and probably more like New York.

bowleghorses
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
We visited Chicago last November when our son graduated Navy boot camp.
The best Pizza place to eat at in Chicago is Lou Malnatis.
It is the absolute best pizza you will ever eat IMO.
Chicago is definately not like Houstan, and probably more like New York.

Went up there 1.5 years ago for the same reason.We ate pizza while up there(pretty good but can't remember the name) but not impressed with Chicago. Their roads may be worse than Louisiana.

Gsquared
07-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Went up there 1.5 years ago for the same reason.We ate pizza while up there(pretty good but can't remember the name) but not impressed with Chicago. Their roads may be worse than Louisiana.
Worse than Louisiana roads? That cant be possible! :eek:

JJWalker
07-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I am in Chicago right now, and will be at Lou Malnati's tonight. I love the pizza here.

BwdLion73
07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
:tisk:[QUOTE= Their roads may be worse than Louisiana.[/QUOTE]

Eagle 1
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I am in Chicago right now, and will be at Lou Malnati's tonight. I love the pizza here.

Hey bring some back to Texas.

The roads didn't seem that bad, just the traffic. The only problem I seen with the roads was there was no major loops, bypasses or stuff like that. It took for ever to get somewhere.
Oddly, I will say people seemed to be more curtious drivers. I didn't see one single wreck the week we were there.
I told my nephew if they had the same traffic in Dallas, people would kill each other.

poisoned10
07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Hopefully I will be there in a month to watch my brother's band open up for Boston and the Blues Brothers at Soldier Field!

bowleghorses
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
There was a lot of construction going on with the Leader of the world being from there but when I got on the toll road, there was a hole big enough to eat my Sequoia. Maybe I exagerated a little bit...maybe.

FB-fanatic
07-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Went a few years back, my wife ran in the Chicago Marathon. When we picked up the car at the airport, they wired the horn wide open. I fit right in while in downtown. Enjoyed Navy Pier and the aquarium.

JJWalker
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Hey bring some back to Texas.

I am afraid it would put me over that unfortunate two bag limit.

But I will tell you that it was delicious! :thumbsup:

JJWalker
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh and you can mail order Lou Malnati's ... I bet you can Google their website.

tigerchic22
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I will be making a trip up there for christmas but we are flying.My parents live there.