PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on "pay for play"

roughneck_2008
07-16-2011, 09:06 PM
idk if this has been discussed recently so i thought i would bring it up, since espn has mad a couple articles about it

with all the recent scandals and whatnot, and everyone trying to say they deserve the money to live. personally i think it would cause too many problems, like how much to pay certain people, (does a bench warmer deserve same as stud quarterback). i think most of them should be lucky that they get room and board/books/tuition (which at some schools is really high), and yet they complain about maybe the one month they have to pay bills out of the year, and how they are prohibited to work.
why dont they do what most students do, take out a loan...it wont be as much as most college kids (like the 40,000 or so i will end up owing once im done) but a simple 2 grand loan a semester will pay for most everything that isnt covered since they dont have time for a job.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6768571/legal-issues-arise-paying-student-athletes

and on that note they also bring that if u pay the mens football and basketball (the only traditional money makers), do u have to pay the women because of all the title IX rules of fairness. to me from a business standpoint why should u play players of nonrevenue sports, they are still gettin the quality education, and they also can take out the student loans to help pay for those extra expensive

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6769337/title-ix-seen-substantial-roadblock-pay-play-college-athletics

again, maybe im just being cynical but im tired of athletes complaining about not being able to get a job so how pay for things...easy, do what any other college student does and get a loan, and with the degree u got for free pay off ur small loans

Ernest T Bass
07-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I do believe that they deserve much more than just the "free education" they're getting. But, I haven't put in the time or research to come up with a better idea. But I do believe when the college is making millions off of them, they deserve more than just 9 hours a semester(that's all a D1 football player can take at a time) and 3 hots and a cot.

TheDOCTORdre
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
oops, I thought this was going to be about prostitution:D

Looking4number8
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Personaly I dont think the college should pay them a dime however if they can make money off their name in college the player should be allowed. That is the Colt McCoy jersey I bought for a Christmas gift a few years back, Colt should have got a cut of the earnings.

I dont know how it could be worked out but it seems more fair than paying (and I am not trying to start another mike leach argument) Adam James for playing with his cell phone in a closet while Crabtree is catching touchdown passes

poisoned10
07-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe they could take a specified percentage of the revenue from each sport and set it into a specific "team bank account." For example: 1% of the profit men's basketball makes will go into their specific account while 1% of womens hockey makes will go into their specific account. Then they take that and split it among those associated the teams. It could be tiered with the highest percentage going to those on scholarships and on down the line.

Just something that I came up with on the top of my head just now. But every sport would get an equal percentage of revenue so no one could cry unfairness.

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2011, 10:23 PM
The idea that well they are getting a free education should be enough IMO does not work anymore. Degrees Do not mean half of what they did 20 years ago.

coach
07-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I do believe that they deserve much more than just the "free education" they're getting. But, I haven't put in the time or research to come up with a better idea. But I do believe when the college is making millions off of them, they deserve more than just 9 hours a semester(that's all a D1 football player can take at a time) and 3 hots and a cot.

my question is how do you pay a 4th string OL. or a backup setter on the volley ball team

bobcat4life
07-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Ive always thought they deserved about 150 a week for food because between football and classes they really dont have very much time for a job

Roughneck93
07-17-2011, 12:31 AM
my question is how do you pay a 4th string OL. or a backup setter on the volley ball team

Ive always thought they deserved about 150 a week for food because between football and classes they really dont have very much time for a job

I think some kind of stipend should be paid. Enough for basic living expenses. But if you go that route, you pay one you pay them all the same amount.

OldNavy
07-17-2011, 06:31 AM
I think when you start paying them you stop calling it college football. If pay is required you set up a system of farm clubs, like in pro baseball and let them have at it. There are plenty of kids who would play college football for the schooling, experience and love of the game. Let the pros be pros, but not in college football.

Pendragon13
07-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Since college athletes are prohibited from having a job, (and some sports are so time demanding it wouldn't be possible anyway) I like the idea of small living expense student loans to supplement the tuition, books and baording they get from the school. Of course to get these loans the athlete would have to be in good standing academically and with the team as well.