PDA

View Full Version : Several items -- server rent, thoughts on update, and color scheme.

Administrator
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Wanted to give everyone a brief rundown on several items..

First, with our new more powerful server, we are using a lot more power. Unfortunately, this has more than doubled our colocation facility rental cost. Our monthly rent is now in excess of $225/month -- If members are willing to assist more than ever with the donation costs, then are going to be good. Otherwise, we will have to search for an alternative ASAP. Please post your thoughts and any suggestions on how to reduce our cost. Keep in mind, anything we do MUST allow for very large database sizes.

Secondly, What are your thoughts of the new software now that we've had it live for a few weeks now? I know a lot of you do not like the "big" icons and how spread out everything is -- I'm in the process of trying to find out from vBulletin if there is a way for us to go back to the "old" feel, but with all of the new features. Mobile version is still in the works..

Lastly, the color scheme. I've had an injury to my wrist a few weeks ago, and am still recovering. I have had to limit my computer time to almost nothing due to this injury, so the update to the color scheme hasn't been happening at all. We are open to suggestions. We may also open up our testing site to some members who are interested in assisting in designing the template/style to use here on 3ADL.

Please limit any discussion to the items above, anything that is offtopic will be deleted.

Emerson1
07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
My only suggestion on the color scheme is to tone down the blue. Either make it a darker shade so it's not popping out in your face so much or make it thinner.

and I'm not sure if vBulliten can do this, but other sites I go to you can type @Administrator and it will notify them that they were tagged in a post. Also when quoted, you receive a notification. Sounds annoying, but its just a little number up at the top where it says notifications. Not a big pop up screen or anything like PMs.

FB-fanatic
07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Wooohooo! :wave: Just donated for the first time! Thanks for all the hard work. Loving the new software and color schemes. Keep up the good work. Will post a link to 3ADownlow on my Facebook tonight.

GrTigers6
07-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Is there a way to set up a monthly donation for us unfortunate people that get paid monthly? That way i could pay a little each month without missing it. Whenever I think about it I am between paychecks and since my wife is making 8 dollars an hour less than she did when she was laid off, money is a lot thinner and hard to come by. But 5 dollars a month wouldnt even be noticed, but 60 a year would.

bigwood33
07-13-2011, 06:40 AM
I am OK with the color scheme and the software in general. I doubt that I will ever fully utilize all of the features that are now available but I am sure that some will. I don't have much to offer in regards to enhancements but I do agree, being able to set up automatic drafts would be a benefit. I will add that I am looking forward to seeing the individual Region pages and those types of things that the old site had. I doubt that the "classic" look and feel will be available because the software company will not want to sustain 2 QA's, 2 development schedules, etc. Those types of things can become a support nightmare. I usually make one donation a year but would rather have it be a monthly item on a credit card. I would imagine that the continuous revenue stream would also be a big benefit to you and I am sure that PayPal has something like this available. The other revenue opportunity would be to try to come up with a corporate sponsor, yes advertising. If handled properly, advertising doesn't have to be intrusive and the steady revenue stream is always a positive.

Bosqueville
07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Just donated again. I encourage others to do so!!!