PDA

View Full Version : 3A Baseball All State and TSWA All State Teams

hookandladder
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
When is the last time you have seen a team make it to the Regional Championship game and not have at least one player make either team, La Grange did not have one player even mentioned by either team. You would think we would have at least one player receive something , just does not seem right.

cr180t
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Were they nominated?

hookandladder
07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Were they nominated?

Do you think a coach would not nominate at least one player after being one game away from the State Tournament, there has to be at least one player worthy of something. We had a 3 year starting senior SS they played lights out all year , batted over 400 in the leadoff spot. That has to be worth something.

ccmom
07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Do you think a coach would not nominate at least one player after being one game away from the State Tournament, there has to be at least one player worthy of something. We had a 3 year starting senior SS they played lights out all year , batted over 400 in the leadoff spot. That has to be worth something.

I don't think you answered his question.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
is the selection done before the playoffs or after?

hookandladder
07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't think you answered his question.

Without being a coach and or a sportswriter , I would not have that knowledge. These teams are voted on after the season, what I am saying you would have to assume your coached nominated someone off of a team that went that far in the playoffs. You would surely hope that someone off this team was worthy, maybe no one was worthy. Seems like someone would be, just saying.

bigwood33
07-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Without being a coach and or a sportswriter , I would not have that knowledge. These teams are voted on after the season, what I am saying you would have to assume your coached nominated someone off of a team that went that far in the playoffs. You would surely hope that someone off this team was worthy, maybe no one was worthy. Seems like someone would be, just saying.
Coaches do not nominate, members of the Texas Sports Writers Association do. If the local paper doesn't have someone who is a member, no one gets nominated. If they do but he forgets, isn't respected or doesn't get the ballot returned on time, the results are the same. It is totally up to the sports writer. Coaches don't even know who is nominated unless the sports writer tells him.

coachc45
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Coaches do not nominate, members of the Texas Sports Writers Association do. If the local paper doesn't have someone who is a member, no one gets nominated. If they do but he forgets, isn't respected or doesn't get the ballot returned on time, the results are the same. It is totally up to the sports writer. Coaches don't even know who is nominated unless the sports writer tells him.

That's not entirely true....most local papers with voters send out a nomination form to the area coaches and then choose who they will noinate from there.

bigwood33
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
That has never been my experience but I suppose anything is possible. If so, that is the exception rather than the rule.

hookandladder
07-13-2011, 06:28 AM
That's not entirely true....most local papers with voters send out a nomination form to the area coaches and then choose who they will noinate from there.

Yes, you are correct coachc45 as far as it is handled in our area. The coach has to nominate his players, guess it is handled different in some areas.

bigwood33
07-13-2011, 06:47 AM
It could be just the way the local papers have handled it in our area. Our guy has always done a pretty good job, I thought, but has never asked for input.

lulu
07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
There is a big difference in the Sports writers team and the Texas Baseball Coaches Association team.

My nephew was first team all state short stop in 3A on the Texas Coaches team and played in the State All Star Game.
and was third team pinch hitter on the sports writers team. No rhyme or reason.