PDA

View Full Version : Best Football Movies

Phil C
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
The web site below lists their choices. Feel free to post your opinions whether you agree or disagree or think others should be included.

http://www.sportsinmovies.com/best-movies/football.asp

Pendragon13
07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Have #4 and #5 swap places, then move "Any given Sunday" down near the bottom and I can pretty much agree with that list.....but there are quite a few that I haven't seen yet.:confused:

RoyceTTU
07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Have #4 and #5 swap places, then move "Any given Sunday" down near the bottom and I can pretty much agree with that list.....but there are quite a few that I haven't seen yet.:confused:

I love any given sunday. It's one of my favorites.

Phil C
07-12-2011, 09:36 AM
They obivously aren't familiar with some of the older movies that should be mention. Some are 1938's Hold That Coed with John Barrymore, The Rose Bowl Story with Marshall Thomason made in 1952, Father Was A Fullback made in 1949 with Fred MacMurray and Maureen O'Hara, and The All American made in 1953 with Tony Curtis.

A real neglected one was the 1947 movie The Spirit of West Point which had Heisman Trophy winners Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard as themselves. They were on the Army teams of 1944-46 and only had one tie to Notre Dame marring their record which happened in the famous 0 - 0 tie in 1946 and both were All Americans and Heisman Trophy Winners and played on two National Championship teams. Some minor propaganda in the movie in the football world but still a great movie with the stars doing a good job acting as themselves with lots of footage from their actual games.

Pendragon13
07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
As far as "Any given Sunday", yeah I know others who liked it more than I did...but I found it campy in some places, too serious in others, the fake team names/uniforms ridiculous and just overall too long at over 2 hours..

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I love The Program..yea it is over the top, but it is fun to watch and every August I put it in and watch it to get ready for football

JustAFan
07-12-2011, 10:46 AM
There was a remake of "Brian's Song"?

Roughneck93
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Remember the Titans and We Are Marshall are my favorites. The original The Longest Yard is up there too.

Ernest T Bass
07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I honestly feel that Friday Night Lights is the best ever. It was a poor adaptation of the book, but that was probably a good thing. They did a great job of portraying Texas small town HS football from just about everyone's perspective; kids, coaches, parents, and fans; and they didn't run Odessa into the ground like the book did.

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I honestly feel that Friday Night Lights is the best ever. It was a poor adaptation of the book, but that was probably a good thing. They did a great job of portraying Texas small town HS football from just about everyone's perspective; kids, coaches, parents, and fans; and they didn't run Odessa into the ground like the book did.

I never really felt the book ran Odessa into the ground as much as simply told the truth about the town, the culture and the attitude of the town

GrTigers6
07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I honestly feel that Friday Night Lights is the best ever. It was a poor adaptation of the book, but that was probably a good thing. They did a great job of portraying Texas small town HS football from just about everyone's perspective; kids, coaches, parents, and fans; and they didn't run Odessa into the ground like the book did. Odessa is far from small town football, Just Saying :D

nobogey72
07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Interesting that on the list, 10 of the top 12 are true stories.

Ernest T Bass
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Odessa is far from small town football, Just Saying :D

Have you ever actually been there, Gr? While it does hold 2 5a schools, it's just a large small town. You can find miniature versions of Odessa all over Texas. Only difference is the actual size. Culture and mentality is no different at all.
TxB, I disagree. I've been there on many occasions. Bissinger took a few people and incidents, and presented them as "the norm". Yes, there is some insanity in the town, especially when it comes to Permian football, but some of what he presented was on the fringes.

GrTigers6
07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Have you ever actually been there, Gr? While it does hold 2 5a schools, it's just a large small town. You can find miniature versions of Odessa all over Texas. Only difference is the actual size. Culture and mentality is no different at all.
TxB, I disagree. I've been there on many occasions. Bissinger took a few people and incidents, and presented them as "the norm". Yes, there is some insanity in the town, especially when it comes to Permian football, but some of what he presented was on the fringes.I was born at ector county Hospital. And yes Compared to Dallas or Houston Odessa is a small town, but when you lived in Santa Anna for 12 years then odessa is huge. Thats all Im saying, It's all depending on how you look at it. I still laugh when I here people call Brownwood, Stephenville or Abilene a small town.

RoyceTTU
07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
TxB, I disagree. I've been there on many occasions. Bissinger took a few people and incidents, and presented them as "the norm". Yes, there is some insanity in the town, especially when it comes to Permian football, but some of what he presented was on the fringes.

I think the size really can be deceiving if you combine Odessa and Midland. The two are close enough to be confusing.

eagles_victory
07-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I would argue that the Blind Side and Brians Song shouldnt even be considered football movies.

ccmom
07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I think the size really can be deceiving if you combine Odessa and Midland. The two are close enough to be confusing.

Midland and Odessa are totally different in appearance and in the "feel" of the environment, and there is plenty of flat, dry land between the two to notice the separation.

RoyceTTU
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Midland and Odessa are totally different in appearance and in the "feel" of the environment, and there is plenty of flat, dry land between the two to notice the separation.

I agree with you. Not arguing the fact. I'm not confused by it but some do get confused.

TheDOCTORdre
07-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Brian's Song always makes me tear up

Farmersfan
07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I went to a Permian vs OHS game in Odessa in 1981. I have never experienced that kind of passion and intensity again and I've watched a lot of football. These two teams shared the city Stadium and it was like a war zone getting in and out of that stadium. Some fans stoned the Permian busses and knocked out all the windows and the fights on the field were every couple of minutes. It was madness I tell you! Madness!

MustangFootball
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
are yall serious Varsity Blues is the greatest hands down....

"can you fix him?....
...if he'll let me!......
...make him understand!"

"mox your daddy was a no talent pu??y but atleast he listened

come on guys whip cream bikini!!!

i rate that movie a 10....a 10....its a 10!!! :2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Old Tiger
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
2 of the top 3 are footballs about more than football. I would say Remember the Titans is more about de-segregation and The Blind Side is more about a kids rough life.

Neither were very good football movies.

Ernest T Bass
07-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I actually met the real Herman Boone once(he wore a leather jacket and a cowboy hat). He said it was "a great family Disney movie, but far from what really happened that year".

AP Panther Fan
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
are yall serious Varsity Blues is the greatest hands down....

"can you fix him?....
...if he'll let me!......
...make him understand!"

"mox your daddy was a no talent pu??y but atleast he listened

come on guys whip cream bikini!!!

i rate that movie a 10....a 10....its a 10!!! :2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Are you absolutely sure it is a 10?

Old Tiger
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
yes

http://timeoutchicago.com/sites/default/files/export_images/191/191.x600.feat.sexmovies.varsity.jpg

Charlie Tweeder: Hey you wanna see the new Tweeder end zone dance?
[Tweeder dances]
Charlie Tweeder: You know what it's called?
Mox: What?
Charlie Tweeder: The New Tweeder End Zone Dance.

Charlie Tweeder: Say I'm stupid and I'm about to get hit in the nuts.
Billy Bob: That's funny.
Charlie Tweeder: Ain't it funny? That's what I mean. See they need to change the name of the show to America's funniest shots in the nuts.

Tweeder: Well we're all naked in there and we've got handcuffs and cool s*** to play with so take off your clothes and get in the car.

Police Officer: Congratulations.
Charlie Tweeder: Congratulations to you, too.
Police Officer: Congratulations for what?
Charlie Tweeder: For getting to wear such cute "mountme" hats.
Police Officer: Mount me?
Charlie Tweeder: Not right away. After a few drinks...

Charlie Tweeder: Jonathan Moxon your are under arrest for not being naked with some sophomore chick who wants to bathe you with her tongue, now take off your GD clothes and get in the car.

Roughneck93
07-12-2011, 04:22 PM
yeshttp://timeoutchicago.com/sites/default/files/export_images/191/191.x600.feat.sexmovies.varsity.jpgCharlie Tweeder: Hey you wanna see the new Tweeder end zone dance?[Tweeder dances]Charlie Tweeder: You know what it's called?Mox: What?Charlie Tweeder: The New Tweeder End Zone Dance. Charlie Tweeder: Say I'm stupid and I'm about to get hit in the nuts.Billy Bob: That's funny.Charlie Tweeder: Ain't it funny? That's what I mean. See they need to change the name of the show to America's funniest shots in the nuts. Tweeder: Well we're all naked in there and we've got handcuffs and cool s*** to play with so take off your clothes and get in the car. Police Officer: Congratulations.Charlie Tweeder: Congratulations to you, too.Police Officer: Congratulations for what?Charlie Tweeder: For getting to wear such cute "mountme" hats.Police Officer: Mount me?Charlie Tweeder: Not right away. After a few drinks... Charlie Tweeder: Jonathan Moxon your are under arrest for not being naked with some sophomore chick who wants to bathe you with her tongue, now take off your GD clothes and get in the car.Lol! :clap:

Pmoney
07-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Rudy is #1 on my list

BLEEDZGREEN
07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I was glancing over that list and it's funny to me that I have seen all but about 23 of those movies.:1popcorn:

sTxforlife
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
IMO the blind side is way too high and the original longest yard and the waterboy are way too low on the list

Roughneck93
07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
IMO the blind side is way too high and the original longest yard and the waterboy are way too low on the list

Ah yes...I overlooked The Waterboy. I can watch it over and over.

orange machine
07-13-2011, 04:48 AM
http://www.ppgthemovie.com

ogg
07-13-2011, 01:05 PM
My favorite, Friday Night Lights.

"Can you be perfect"?

trojandad
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I was born at ector county Hospital. And yes Compared to Dallas or Houston Odessa is a small town, but when you lived in Santa Anna for 12 years then odessa is huge. Thats all Im saying, It's all depending on how you look at it. I still laugh when I here people call Brownwood, Stephenville or Abilene a small town.

with a town population (not school, mind you) of 691, we consider every last one of you a large town......:cheerl:

Old Tiger
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
My favorite, Friday Night Lights.

"Can you be perfect"?That movie sucked...

Txbroadcaster
07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

At that time the fringe was the norm ETB...now yes most are normal with some really crazy fans on the outside..but in the 80's that town and that team was surrounded by people who would do any and everything for the team.

Cam
07-13-2011, 04:08 PM
my vote goes to "Little Giants"......:1popcorn:

Additup
07-13-2011, 06:43 PM
The Best of Times at #36. I need to Netflix it just to watch Robin Williams in a football uniform talking trash to Dr. Death ~ "I'm pretty damn fast for a Caucasian". HE GETS POUNDED!!!! :clap:

Lots of games like this being played the past few years for people trying to relive it.

ogg
07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
That movie sucked...

So what's your favorite? I hope it's not Varsity Blues.

sTxforlife
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
That movie sucked...
Are you kidding me? What planet r u from?

eagleqb_14
07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
little giants, remember the titans,