PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Idiots Guide to College Station

Matthew328
07-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Just my way to enlighten the masses, check in to the chat room tonight for info on the Dirty Sock.

College Station is a city in Brazos County, Texas, situated in East Central Texas in the heart of the Brazos Valley. The city is located within the most populated region of Texas, near three of the 10 largest cities in the United States - Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. The population estimate as of 2010 was 93,857.
College Station and Bryan together make up the Bryan-College Station metropolitan area, the sixteenth largest metropolitan area in Texas with 203,371 people.

The center of the BCS area is located at the intersection of Highway 6 and Highway 190, its approximately 90 miles southeast of Waco and 90 miles northwest of Houston.

College Station is a three hour drive from the DFW area, generally coming from Dallas the quickest route is to take I-45 down to 190 in Madisonville and then 190 to Bryan. From Fort Worth its usually quicker to take I-35W south to Waco and hit Hwy 6 in Waco.

About 20 years ago College Station was a cool college town for foodies as it had several unique places to eat such as Dixie Chicken, Layne's Chicken Strips and it was pretty much the only place you could get a Freebird's Burrito. Those places are still in existence, but the town has also become chain restaurant hell. One example is when Chipotle came to town it literally split the city in half, lots of controversy there.

However, for you foodies there's still some hidden gems in town that I enjoy aside from the places previously mentioned which I have visited.

Blue Baker: solid pizza/deli style place on University. Underrated breakfast also.

The Republic: Another place located on University Dr. probably the nicest steakhouse in town. Good steak, doesn't compare with DFW steakhouses like Bob's but if you are really wanting a good steak dinner its the place to go.

Harvey Washbangers: Located on S. Texas Ave. One of the more unique spots in town, you can do your laundry AND grab a bite to eat. Burgers are actually pretty good, but they have these crazy hot wings as well.

Wings N'More: A Houston based chain that has several locations in town, we had an old TPI dinner there once...it was decent but IMO nothing to write home about.

Dixie Chicken: Located in Northgate (A&M's trendy college district) it's one of the more celebrated places in town. The chicken is good but man they are SLOW...be prepared for a wait here...seems like a better place to go drinking.

Hullaballoo Diner: People rave about the breakfast but they are only open in the morning on the weekends...located just outside of town on Wellborne Rd they have been featured on Food Network..I've never eaten here but I am considering giving it a shot this weekend.

Ozona Bar/Grill: Located on Harvey Rd between Hwy 6 and Texas Ave. Mediocre Mexican Food, but good place to go drinking apparently.

Mi Cocina; now called Polly's Cocina: located on George Bush Dr. just across from Kyle Field..me and Diggs discovered this spot 4 years ago and its been a regular on the circuit since...best mexican food in town I've tried...name has changed, so I'm worried it may be under new ownership...will be a sad day if that's the case.

Mexican Spot Inside the Howard Johnson: Hotel is AWFUL , but this is a gem inside of a nightmare...best breakfast tacos in town bar none...

Layne's Chicken Tenders: REALLY good chicken strips....maybe the best I've had at a fast food type spot...

Gumby's Pizza: had this delivered to the hotel last year and it was a pleasant surprise...really good pizza and wings..will order again this year no doubt..

Lets move on to hotels in town...

Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt and Holiday Inn are all good choices for those looking to spend about 100$ a night.

For the 60-80$ range Days Inn and Super 8 will work...Super 8 is better..

DO NOT Stay at the Howard Johnson...maybe the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.....

Hopefully this helps all of you making the trip to Aggieland..

BaseballUmp
07-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Chicken Oil Co.

RoyceTTU
07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
hmmmm,,,i was expecting somethind different form the title.:devil:

BaseballUmp
07-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Casa Rodriguez in downtown Bryan

BEAST
07-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Chicken Oil Co.

:iagree:

BEAST

coach
07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Kyle Field- One of the best places to catch a football game in the country. Even if you aren't an Aggie fan i suggest you go see a game bc they are extremely fun.

eagles_victory
07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Kyle Field- One of the best places to catch a football game in the country. Even if you aren't an Aggie fan i suggest you go see a game bc they are extremely fun. I dk about that they look down upon you when you refuse to stand up for the swaying of the stands or whatever you want to call it lol.

Roughneck93
07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Kyle Field- One of the best places to catch a football game in the country. Even if you aren't an Aggie fan i suggest you go see a game bc they are extremely fun.

Yep. Not an Aggie fan but I enjoy attending the game at Kyle Field when Texas comes to town.

spirate_9
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Coco Loco Mexican Food. I like it a lot better than Mi Cocina. Good, cheap breakfast tacos. Salsa is great.
Located on the corner of Welsh and Southwest Pkwy, down the road from A&M Consolidated.

ExScoop
07-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Haven't been to College Station in over 10 years-Last time I went was to hear Mark David Manders & Nueveo Tejas (A Texas Music Band) played at the I think Third Floor Cantina in downtown Bryan.

I have a friend working in the media department for A&M Track program but haven't made it up to seen him since he started working there about 4 years ago.

I'm sure the area has changed quite a bit since then