PDA

View Full Version : UTA Football?

NastySlot
07-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Read where the UTA Mavs might be joining the WAC in all sports except football.........could this mean that someday soon they might consider bringing football back?...........on a side note the Mavs leaving the Southland a conference in which they were a charter member of.

just curious anybody on here ever catch a Mav's football game?........saw two once in San Marcos v. SWT and another against SMU back in the day.

bigwood33
07-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I hear occasional rumors of them picking up football again but I don't think there has been anything official stating that. I know a guy who played for them from '78-'81. He is still disappointed that football was dropped.

DavidWooderson
07-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I heard there is a push for football, they were considering raising tuition to start a football program.

Push to the WAC would be nice, wish North Texas could get out of the freaking SunBelt.

mwynn05
07-09-2011, 09:16 PM
North Texas turned the WAC down

bwdlionfan
07-10-2011, 07:59 AM
I did my undergrad at UTA (graduated in 06). While I was a student there, we had an election one year to raise student fees by $3 per semester hour to fund football, women's golf, and women's soccer. The election passed with nearly 70% of the vote. Then UTA President Spaniolo decided that the money would be better used on building a new basketball/volleyball arena (which UTA does desperately need also and is almost completed now). I believe he did start up those two women's sports as well. However, I feel that as long as Spaniolo is there, UTA football will never happen. The university had actually moved forward with starting football so much as they had a firm look at three different scenarios of starting the program and how each way would be funded. The alumni had started raising money and holding events to get the money flowing, then Spaniolo vetoed it. Spaniolo needs to go (for more reasons than just this).

GreenMonster
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Just wondering if there might possibly be some legal ramifications that can be used against the President for taking the money that students voted in favor of to be used to start up football and the other sports? Seems pretty dicey and potentially illegal to use these funds for anything other than what was voted on by the student body. Legal or not it's certainly dishonest and a poor example of appropriate use of power. In sales this would be an illegal bait and switch scenario. Student government should demand the university show where the funds have been used and ask why no steps have been taken to complete the wishes of the student body.

bwdlionfan
07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Just wondering if there might possibly be some legal ramifications that can be used against the President for taking the money that students voted in favor of to be used to start up football and the other sports? Seems pretty dicey and potentially illegal to use these funds for anything other than what was voted on by the student body. Legal or not it's certainly dishonest and a poor example of appropriate use of power. In sales this would be an illegal bait and switch scenario. Student government should demand the university show where the funds have been used and ask why no steps have been taken to complete the wishes of the student body.

I thought the same thing at the time but no one ever pursued anything. Sorry I said it was $3 per hour when it was really $2 per hour fee increase. Here is an article about it:

http://www.uta.edu/sportsexpansion/

President Spanioli did his fair share of shady things in the three years he was president while I was there.

Matthew328
07-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I was there when the vote happened.....it was shady

bwdlionfan
07-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I was there when the vote happened.....it was shady

There was a pretty large turnout to vote if I remember correctly. The students were actively involved in campaigning for it. UTA keeps talking about wanting school spirit.... there's no better way to get it than football.